• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

WalkMan

Banned
Maybe I should get around playing IV. I kinda don't like it though but it's the only mainline Suikoden I haven't finished.

Any tips on how to beat this game quick while getting all the 108 stars? I wish the difficulty would be like Suikoden V's: being able to kill bosses in one turn only.

Suikoden IV's battle system is pretty streamlined and made minimalized. Basically its quick engagements. There are a bunch of tricks in FAQs on super quick power-leveling. There's even a training center in your HQ for you to power-level in. If you do however play IV, play Suikoden Tactics right after. They go hand-in-hand basically - compliment eachother really well.

Tiu Neo

Oh your right...its my memory thats hazy !!! My bad. So much for my great theory lol.

Oh, that's ok :D It's been three years since I last played IV and V, so I was not sure who was right, haha.

But you theory works... if you only count Murayama's Suikodens.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Yeah after murayama left they didn't know what to do i think so they went back 150 years and went south.

Meh Suiko pretty much died when he left, Its like if square made a tactics ogre without Matsuno it wont be the same.

Suiko V was still amazing though even without murayama.

Tiu Neo

Yeah after murayama left they didn't know what to do i think so they went back 150 years and went south.

Meh Suiko pretty much died when he left, Its like if square made a tactics ogre without Matsuno it wont be the same.

Suiko V was still amazing though even without murayama.

Yep, Suiko V really gave me hope for post-Murayama Suikoden.

Then... well, seven years and two spin-offs later... :(

Suikoden V has the most incompetent villains ever in any jrpg. The entire game is them getting their asses handed to them. I was seriously expecting some kind of epic twist near the end because it gets so comically bad but it never came...

The scenario writer for Suikoden V, did the scenarios for teikries and suikoden psp so there is still some hope !!!!

well the problem right now with suikoden is not his fault i think ...
I've 108 character ending the suikoden psp game and the game overall was really great if you guys ( more guys ) had played this one you might have more hope for the future .. ( and more despair )

The psp game scénario is really good ..i mean it ..i disliked teikreis and this one was much much better ... The only problem is that Centennial Tapestry is a psp game ( everything else you want isn't there or is there is a small/weird way ) . In short if they had more budget/money . It could have been a worthwhile entry in the franchise easily. That game had some very good characters even if i still don't get why the hero has this face .. and there was plenty of good news ideas around , only dimished by the fact that this game is on psp.

Really , all whatever suikoden team needs is to ( if they can't use the old world setting anymore since they don't wish to ) is to follow the Centennial Tapestry with more time and money..i'm sure the majority of suiko fan , if they give it a chance would enjoy this game.

Tiu Neo

The scenario writer for Suikoden V, did the scenarios for teikries and suikoden psp so there is still some hope !!!!

Yes, but... it seems so remote, nowdays.

Well, I'll never give up. Suikoden VI, I believe.

As amazing as Suikoden II was, I think I enjoyed Suikoden a little more. Strange I know.

I remember a lot of people saying that, before Suikoden III was released. I'm sure there are a lot of people that still think that way, nowdays.

Some liked it more because it was smaller, but more focused. Others liked the characters more, or the setting.

Personally, I prefer II, but the first one is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Suikoden V has the most incompetent villains ever in any jrpg. The entire game is them getting their asses handed to them. I was seriously expecting some kind of epic twist near the end because it gets so comically bad but it never came...

The fact that Lucretia was almost psychic sometimes didn't help them, too :p

well the problem right now with suikoden is not his fault i think ...
I've 108 character ending the suikoden psp game and the game overall was really great if you guys ( more guys ) had played this one you might have more hope for the future .. ( and more despair )

The psp game scénario is really good ..i mean it ..i disliked teikreis and this one was much much better ... The only problem is that Centennial Tapestry is a psp game ( everything else you want isn't there or is there is a small/weird way ) . In short if they had more budget/money . It could have been a worthwhile entry in the franchise easily. That game had some very good characters even if i still don't get why the hero has this face .. and there was plenty of good news ideas around , only dimished by the fact that this game is on psp.

Really , all whatever suikoden team needs is to ( if they can't use the old world setting anymore since they don't wish to ) is to follow the Centennial Tapestry with more time and money..i'm sure the majority of suiko fan , if they give it a chance would enjoy this game.

I would be happy with a good thousand worlds Suikoden, if it was as good as the mainline entries.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
R_thanatos:

I own Suikoden PSP, I import it but due to the fact i dont speak japanese I only played like 1 hour. I hope a fan translation comes someday.

Sora_N

I owned S3 for years but never actually played it due to laziness. Is S1-2 available on PSN at all? I don't think I want to play anything on my PSOne lol.

I recommend the first one.

It's the only game I've played, but not a lot of games will make me play through them twice, especially in JRPGs.

R_thanatos:

I own Suikoden PSP, I import it but due to the fact i dont speak japanese I only played like 1 hour. I hope a fan translation comes someday.

Lol without a basic understanding of japanese this game is quite hard to beat ..
Numeorus times you have to change times period and recruit someone and even then they ask something ( or someone else ) to be recruited ..in most cases there is no pointer to follow and many recruits have some weird hidden params or a right choices to answer.
And god how many times do you have to go back to a previous tree to collect a branch to create another point fruther ?( the whole map is like this ).

During my play i misunderstood a sentence ( my japanese isn't perfect ) and i was wondering at the right place but totally failed to understand that i needed some spécific character too.

It's not a import friendly game IMO but it's was fun despite this

PS: norio wakamoto rules !

Tiu Neo

I recommend the first one.

It's the only game I've played, but not a lot of games will make me play through them twice, especially in JRPGs.

The fact that it's very short makes even easier to play it again, and again, and again...

I've always wanted to play Suikoden 2. Is there an easy way to do so? On PSN?

No. Konami never released II on PSN, so... the only legal way of playing it is ebay. :( I think it's worth it, but it's hard to justify the price to someone who never played the game.

Suikoden I is fun but pretty rough around the edges compared to Suikoden II. The translation in particular is pretty bad.

Both have bad translations :p II also has some pretty bizarre bugs.

But yeah, the rune system and no dash button makes the first one very rough. The PSP version fixed this, but never came to the west :(

-NeoTB1-

Woo-hoo! Subscribed. I love this series. The only one I didn't care much for was IV. I suspect I'm not alone. Still, even with that one blemish, I would rank Suikoden as my favorite collective JRPG series.

kswiston

So reading this thread prompted me to look through the character rosters from the mainline games on the Wikia site. Having read Dune for the first time a few months back, I just now noticed that Jowy's last name was a nod to that series.

How short is short though? Can you complete it in less than 20 hours then? If so i might give it a go hmmm

You can beat it in less than 20 hours, but I think 25 hours is more realistic for your first playthrough. Depends if you actively try to recruit characters or not I guess.

EDIT: And whether you are consulting a walkthrough.

Tiu Neo

Suikoden II had one of my favorite villains in any RPG ever. He fought three teams at once and was still standing. Crazy.

I think that's the most memorable boss fight I've ever fought. And holy fuck, I can play that part 20 times, if I don't prepare like crazy before the fight, I have a hard time with it.

How short is short though? Can you complete it in less than 20 hours then? If so i might give it a go hmmm

Yeah, 20 hours to get everything sounds right.

I own 3 and 5, maybe 15 hours into each. I've always wanted to play the whole series, but it's sorta like Xenosaga, something I'm interested in, but not enough to make time.

My backlog goes back to SNES games, so...

Holy shit how come I missed this thread ?!

Suikoden is my second favorite RPG franchise (the first being Final Fantasy), I liked the first one, adored, the second and third one, hated the fourth one and really loved the fifth one.

I didn't finish tactics though from what I played it was pretty average, didn't bother with the DS game since it's not cannon.

I know a lot of people want this series to comeback, but better to go out like this than to be ruined by Konami's idiocy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Actually my post wasn't targeted at you either :). Anyway nothing is wrong with praising 2D even I love 2D more than 3D even though it doesn't always seem like it. I love my fighters in 2D more than 3d, I like my anime games like bleach or dbz in 2d rather than 3d. See my problem is that most of the people that like 2D seem like there can't ever be any common ground between liking 2D and 3D. Everytime I usually see someone call out this game or that game should be 2D they aways bash 3D even when the 3D isn't bad and that's what I have a problem with.
Ahaha, I'm sorry--and I'm sorry that the post sounded confrontational, as that was not my intent. I just found it a little odd because I've seen it in a few threads. I get it now, thanks for explaining.

That is truly unfortunate. The people behind SV seemed to have their heads on straight wrt to the main series.
There are some members of that team working on the Million Worlds GS games, actually. The team proper is disbanded, but they still have some of those guys working on it... for better or for worse. I dunno.

I don't get it. I'm disappointed.

Maybe I should take Aeana's advice and latch onto the Kiseki games because at least Falcom employs good people.

I've done a 6-hr speedrun before so... you could probably beat it in 10-15 hours? It's not a difficult game. None of the Suikoden games are hard.

Tiu Neo

I've done a 6-hr speedrun before so... you could probably beat it in 10-15 hours? It's not a difficult game. None of the Suikoden games are hard.

After you know the game, it's pretty easy getting everything in less than 10 hours, but 6? Damn.

My record is 8 hours, and I was pretty happy about it ;-;

jorgeton

Suikoden was so awesome. RIP.

At least the series left consoles on a high note, as Suikoden 5 is a masterpiece, IMO. I love when RPGs take their time to set up a character's backstory (in an interesting way). Those first six or so hours of Suikoden 5 felt slow, but in retrospect just made the game much more powerful.

And, seriously, why isn't Suikoden II on PSN? That's easy money for Konami right there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know that getting a mosquito to drop the Holy Rune shaves hours off your time, right? You could use the Bribe glitch to get out of bosses--but then using that would question the legality of your speed run.

There are a few extra things you don't have to do and should be skipped (ex: talking to Juppo, you can run from the battle at Kobold Village, Stallion should be in your party at all times, Luc's magic is a nice boost, skip treasures, etc.). It's not hard.

...granted, I've... played that game a lot...

And, seriously, why isn't Suikoden II on PSN? That's easy money for Konami right there.
They only want to make Metal Gear now. Don't tempt the fanbase, etc.

But I kind of think they might be embarrassed about its quality. Not just the localization (which they were uncooperative with), but also the glitches.

Tiu Neo

You know that getting a mosquito to drop the Holy Rune shaves hours off your time, right? You could use the Bribe glitch to get out of bosses--but then using that would question the legality of your speed run.

There are a few extra things you don't have to do and should be skipped (ex: talking to Juppo, you can run from the battle at Kobold Village, Stallion should be in your party at all times, Luc's magic is a nice boost, skip treasures, etc.). It's not hard.

...granted, I've... played that game a lot...

Yeah, I had Holy/Stallion with me when I could, and also used Luc a lot and skipped most treasures. To tell the truth, I didn't want to do a speedeun until halfway through the game, but saw I was going fast and rushed to the end :p There was a time I played every game on the series at least once every year, and in the six months before I bought my PS2, I pretty much played only Suikoden I and II, so I lost count of how many times I finished them, haha

I really have to replay them soon. I'm starting to forget things ;-;

Do you know what I like the most about Chris's designs? She doesn't appear to be outrageously thin, nor do they go out of their way to sexualize her. For some reason, I find that a little comforting.

I loved how that chapter was handled because it truly endeared her to the player in a wonderful way.

I don't hate any of the mainline games. There are some I think very highly of, and some I feel are my GoaTs, but there are others that I don't think highly of because their designs don't jive well with me, btw. I like the story in most of them. That's what Suikoden's strongest suit is.

It hit me the most because... (endgame Suikoden III / post-climax spoilers)
I used that person a lot in GS1 and GS2, so... I was hoping I'd be able to use him/her in GS3--well, I eventually did, but it certainly didn't go the way I had expected it to go. It was handled pretty well, imo. That's why I want a Harmonia game, dammit!

Fuck Konami.

L6aTd.jpg

Hot without sexualization, the Suikoden Way.
There's Jeanne, but she can do whatever the fuck she wants, really.
It does truly seem a lost art at times, though...like most good game design...

Anyways yeah, Fuck Konami!

Dark Schala said:
Maybe I should take Aeana's advice and latch onto the Kiseki games because at least Falcom employs good people.

YES. It's Suikoden without the reckless, neglectful corporate parent. You can even keep up since you know Japanese unlike some of us poor schmucks!

Echoing the sentiment that the Trails/Kiseki series is like new Suikoden in terms of the narrative, and I've only played FC so far.

Though it still puts North American gamers in a tough spot. One one hand we have a company that has no idea what they are doing anymore (Konami), and on the other hand we have companies that are dedicated to crafting a deep and expansive world but are having a hard time getting their product out of Japan. (Falcom & XSEED)

Imagine a world where Konami brings real Suikoden back and Falcom/XSEED have gotten the Trails series back on track in North America. That would be just lovely...

Only fools would say otherwise.
Suikoden 3 was good but I thought it was ultimately a little underwhelming in comparison to its predecessors. The music is the worst in the series and it starts off very slow. The buddy system was also an unnecessary bizarre design choice for the battle system. It would have been better to just let you control everyone yourself. It also has the most forgettable strategist in the series. I actually enjoyed Thomas' arc more than the main story characters. Very charming.

Aeana

I disagree. 3 is my least favorite game in the series. I'd even rank 4 above it.

I think that the way it handles the storytelling is absolutely fantastic. I really adore the trinity sight system, especially what you get when you get all 108 characters. I also think the main characters are all pretty awesome - even Hugo. It has a great war battle system, and the battle system, while definitely not as good as the others, was an interesting experiment that is fun to exploit. The skill system is also absolutely wonderful, and it has a great soundtrack.

I understand being disappointed with it coming off of Suikoden 2, but it really is a great game.

Edgeward

I really don't remember a lot of the rest of the cast being memorable in V. Other than returning characters and the Knights, the rest of the cast didn't seem to stand out the way the first two or even 3 did. I guess I should rip my copy of V and start again and pay attention a bit more.

A letdown of V besides the loadtimes, was the antagonists. It seemed like it wanted to tap into II and
Jowy
making them seem more politcal and less evil but it never got fleshed out enough and they were always outsmarted.

What are people's favorite runes?

I always like double-beat. Pair that up with Fury and just watch enemies crumble in your wake. Was never a big fan of magic runes and magic users. Seemed too much of a burden to carry them around for most crawls as you had to save them up for boss fights. Especially if you took someone like Luc, a frontline guy. Shield Rune was my favorite magic rune though. Too useful!

Tiu Neo

I really don't remember a lot of the rest of the cast being memorable in V. Other than returning characters and the Knights, the rest of the cast didn't seem to stand out the way the first two or even 3 did. I guess I should rip my copy of V and start again and pay attention a bit more.

To tell the truth, V has so much fanservice that I can see that happening, haha :p Fuck, the castle's cook is Retso. RETSO. I remember smilling for a day when they revealed that.

A letdown of V besides the loadtimes, was the antagonists. It seemed like it wanted to tap into II and
Jowy
making them seem more politcal and less evil but it never got fleshed out enough and they were always outsmarted.

To tell the truth, quite some parts of V felt like a retelling of II. Some of it was probably intentional, others are series staples, but I don't think those parts are as good as they where on II, on most cases.

What are people's favorite runes?

I always like double-beat. Pair that up with Fury and just watch enemies crumble in your wake. Was never a big fan of magic runes and magic users. Seemed too much of a burden to carry them around for most crawls as you had to save them up for boss fights. Especially if you took someone like Luc, a frontline guy. Shield Rune was my favorite magic rune though. Too useful!

Riou + Double Beat is a killer combo. I also liked the Lightning Rune, and used the Darkness Rune (aka Soul Eater Jr.) a lot, too.

I used Luc, but put him on the back, and normally fought normal enemies using Auto, so he would do nothing :p

zeroshiki

The villains in V were always, like,

"you foiled our plan today but that connects to our other plan!"

beats them again

"all according to keikaku"

beats them again

"still part of the plan!"

beats them again

"welp"

Top Bottom