• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden Community Thread | Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?

Coxy

I think that the way it handles the storytelling is absolutely fantastic. I really adore the trinity sight system, especially what you get when you get all 108 characters. I also think the main characters are all pretty awesome - even Hugo. It has a great war battle system, and the battle system, while definitely not as good as the others, was an interesting experiment that is fun to exploit. The skill system is also absolutely wonderful, and it has a great soundtrack.

I understand being disappointed with it coming off of Suikoden 2, but it really is a great game.

I found the trinity sight system to be an extremely poor attempt coming to it shortly after shining force 3. You end up seeing the same scenes over and over with only slight extras, going over the same maps over and over with different parties and you miss out on loads of stuff if you dont do the chapters in the secret order konami wanted.

Still, I'd take suiko 3 a million times over no suikoden :(

Tiu Neo

I found the trinity sight system to be an extremely poor attempt coming to it shortly after shining force 3. You end up seeing the same scenes over and over with only slight extras, going over the same maps over and over with different parties and you miss out on loads of stuff if you dont do the chapters in the secret order konami wanted.

Yeah, maybe something like the trinity system, but with some limitations (you can only do X's Chapter 2 if you complete Y's Chapter 1 and so on) would work better, since that way they don't need to hide parts of some scenes to not spoil something, and they could just skip parts of the cutscene you already saw with other characters.

I liked the Trinity Sight system since it gave more characters exposure. The three mains + plus the other leads having their own supporting casts was great, instead of the usual everything being centered around a sole hero.

As for repeating scenes, I think Hugo/Chris was the real problem with that. The scenarios for Geddoe and the "hidden" characters were far enough removed that I didn't think them redundant. In the unlikely case that another Suikoden got made with a TS-or-similar system, I do agree that the scenarios should be different enough that the player isn't retreading old ground.

Aeana

I really think that saying there are only slight changes or extras is selling it short. You see lots of stuff that other characters don't, and their side is completely illuminated. You're meant to be "spoiled," and it turns out that it only enhances the story when you see the scenes from another perspective. The ultimate of this is Luc's viewpoint, of course. I just think that complaining about retreading ground is kinda missing the point.

B.K.

I think that the way it handles the storytelling is absolutely fantastic. I really adore the trinity sight system, especially what you get when you get all 108 characters.

I HATE the Trinity Sight system. It's what I hate most about the game. I really wish they would have just picked someone and made them the main character and the focus of the story. I hated the short story format that the Trinity Sight system caused them to make for the game. Every segment was really slow to get going and as soon as something interesting happened, the story was over.

I understand being disappointed with it coming off of Suikoden 2, but it really is a great game.

I didn't play 2 until after 3.

Tiu Neo

I HATE the Trinity Sight system. It's what I hate most about the game. I really wish they would have just picked someone and made them the main character and the focus of the story. I hated the short story format that the Trinity Sight system caused them to make for the game. Every segment was really slow to get going and as soon as something interesting happened, the story was over.

Well, they can make something similar to the Trinity System AND have a main character. For example, in Suikoden II, you could have a few Jowy chapters, to show his side of story, similar to the
Luc
chapter on Suikoden III.

It can also be used to show background story on the game, even if it doesn't make sense for the protagonist to be there, but it's something important to the story.

duckroll

Sometimes the hour part is longer than an hour - usually a LOT longer.

(We were thisclose to 4th Apocalypse. One day that one will happen...)

Why are you still playing with my heart. :(

Maybe it's time to give the Japanese game on PSP another run soon. >_<

hongcha

(We were thisclose to 4th Apocalypse. One day that one will happen...)

One of the best JRPGs ever, and easily the most under-appreciated one in relation to its level of quality. I played through both the Saturn and PSP vers. PSP ver is the best.

I remember picking up the NTSC versions of Suikoden I and II on eBay many years ago. I remember they cost me £38 and £46 respectively; money well spent. Living in PAL land and being a massive JRPG fan, if you wanted to play any of these game you either got your console chipped or imported a US console. So many classics that never made it to these shores. Not to mention the ones that did got the special PAL treatment of 18% speed reduction and gigantic borders.

Mechanically, Suikoden III hasn't aged too well, when I replayed it some years after the fact, what struck me was how janky it felt, especially coming off the back of replaying II, which, despite its quirks, had aged rather gracefully for a 2D RPG. It's a shame that the HD era effectively killed this franchise.

SUIKODEN ORDER OF AWESOMENESS

1. Suikoden II
2. Suikoden V
3. Suikoden III
4. Suikoden I
5. Suikoden IV (And a very distant fifth at that)

I've been meaning replay the series (obviously skipping IV; my 108 stars playthrough was enough for me to never want to look at that game again), someday I'll get round to it.

Paertan

I always considered Suikoden 1 the prolouge to Suikoden 2. A really long prolouge.

I would really love a 1080p version of Suikoden 1 and 2. Still 2D but everything redone in higher res and widescreen. Same battle system and ability to run in both. No new added content needed but better translation and bug fixes.

Tiu Neo

I always considered Suikoden 1 the prolouge to Suikoden 2. A really long prolouge.

I would really love a 1080p version of Suikoden 1 and 2. Still 2D but everything redone in higher res and widescreen. Same battle system and ability to run in both. No new added content needed but better translation and bug fixes.

Not 1080p (and translation), but the PSP version is pretty much that. Better graphics, dash on both, fixed bugs, widescreen support... Too bad it never got released on the west :(

linkboy

Not 1080p (and translation), but the PSP version is pretty much that. Better graphics, dash on both, fixed bugs, widescreen support... Too bad it never got released on the west :(

I'm honestly surprised nobody is working on a translation for the PSP version.

Galamauth

Maybe it's hard to hack? :(

there is a hacking translation effort in progress by a french team for Suikoden I&II PSP http://romhack.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3585#p95093

VSY6k.png

and an english version based on their work seems to be being handled by DarknessSavior http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10159.60.html

stalker

So I would like to start with this series, one I have never played. Where do I start? Suikoden or Suikoden II on the PS1, I guess? I also have Tierkreis available, and I could easily buy the PS2 titles.

I am a very casual RPG player ... I love all the Mario RPGs, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Mother and the SNES classics (Final Fantasy IV-VI, the Quest games, etc).
Will I enjoy Suikoden?

So I would like to start with this series, one I have never played. Where do I start?Suikoden or Suikoden II on the PS1, I guess? I also have Tierkreis avalilable, and I could easily buy the PS2 titles.

I am a very casual RPG player ... I love all the Mario RPGs, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Mother and the SNES classics (Final Fantasy IV-VI, the Quest games, etc).
Will I enjoy Suikoden?

Maybe, it's hard to say. You have to prepare yourself for the fact that the first two games have aged quite badly in terms of gameplay mechanics. If you can get over those quirks, and it sounds like you've played enough classic era RPG's that it shouldn't be a problem, you'll find a rich and rewarding world full of interesting characters in which to sink your teeth into; not to mention the stars of destiny hook is still one of the more interesting and original mechanics in JRPG's. There's no better place than to start at the very beginning with Suikoden I.

The only game that falls off a cliff in terms of quality is Suikoden IV, it's the black sheep of the series, and if you're going to skip one, skip that one. III and V are great PS2 JRPG's, though V starts off very, very slow, but persevere and you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot.

kswiston

So I would like to start with this series, one I have never played. Where do I start? Suikoden or Suikoden II on the PS1, I guess? I also have Tierkreis available, and I could easily buy the PS2 titles.

Will I enjoy Suikoden?

I think you will. I would start with Suikoden 1. It as the same sort of feel as those SNES classics that you named, and is the easiest game in the series to get a hold of since it is on PSN. Suikoden 2 and 3 are direct sequels of the earlier titles. They star different leads, but a lot of the characters and events carry over. Suikoden IV and V are prequels. Teirkreis has nothing to do with the earlier series and is just a Suikoden game in name.

Maybe, it's hard to say. You have to prepare yourself for the fact that the first two games have aged quite badly in terms of gameplay mechanics. .

I disagree that the first two games have age poorly from a mechanical perspective. There are a few things that are missing, like run in the first game, but the battle systems are still simple, quick, and fun. Too many modern JRPGs try to over complicate things for the sake of novelty. There is a reason why Dragon Quest and Pokemon are the best selling RPGs in Japan. They keep things straightforward and can easily be played by anyone.

stalker

Thanks a lot. I will see if I can run the first one on the PSP GO and start there. Very long games?

Another question, I really like SRPGs but for some reason I always assumed Suikoden Tactics is not particularly appreciated. Is this one a good game? I do not expect something on the level of Fire Emblem or Tactics Ogre, but is it worth it if I like those game?

kswiston

Thanks a lot. I will see if I can run the first one on the PSP GO and start there. Very long games?

Another question, I really like SRPGs but for some reason I always assumed Suikoden Tactics is not particularly appreciated. Is this one a good game? I do not expect something on the level of Fire Emblem or Tactics Ogre, but is it worth it if I like those game?

Suikoden 1 is on PSN so it will be easy to get running on your go. The game is 20-25 hours long if you want to do everything. 15-20 hours for a normal first playthough. It's a short game.

I have heard mixed things about Suikoden Tactics, but I have not gotten around to playing the game myself. The game directly ties into Suikoden 4 though, and Suiko 4 is typically viewed as the weakest entry in the series. Probably why Tactics is not as appreciated as it might have been otherwise.

I think you will. I would start with Suikoden 1. It as the same sort of feel as those SNES classics that you named, and is the easiest game in the series to get a hold of since it is on PSN. Suikoden 2 and 3 are direct sequels of the earlier titles. They star different leads, but a lot of the characters and events carry over. Suikoden IV and V are prequels. Teirkreis has nothing to do with the earlier series and is just a Suikoden game in name.

I disagree that the first two games have age poorly from a mechanical perspective. There are a few things that are missing, like run in the first game, but the battle systems are still simple, quick, and fun. Too many modern JRPGs try to over complicate things for the sake of novelty. There is a reason why Dragon Quest and Pokemon are the best selling RPGs in Japan. They keep things straightforward and can easily be played by anyone.

It's been a while since I've played the first two games, but when I came back to them, I found there were issues with how you manage your characters and other such quirks; my memory fails me with specifics, but it's more to do with the micro-management aspect of the games than anything else. The battle system is simple, but more importantly, easy to grasp and enjoyable. Still, Suikoden I and II were early era PS1 games, and it shows, but they're still incredibly enjoyable, and I do believe the mechanics haven't aged nearly as well as the PS1 JRPG's that came much later in the generation (Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy games etc.).

daoster

Suikoden Tactics is a fun game, though maybe a little on the easy side. Played along with Suikoden IV, makes the experience much better. So I would get it, if you can.

I wouldn't skip Suikoden IV. I greatly enjoyed the game, the music is IMO, really good, and I love the character artwork (the artist for Suikoden I and IV are one and the same). It also has some neat characters. The only problem though is that it seems far removed from the rest of the Suikoden because it's like 150 years in the past.

Still, I would not skip Suikoden IV, and if you could, I'd try to get my hands on all the mainline Suikoden games + Tactics.

15-20 hours, and it moves at a rapid pace. There's no real filler, and more importantly, it's very replayable. To get the most out of these games, play it the first time round just to enjoy the game and acquaint yourself with the gameplay mechanics. I would recommend a walkthrough for a second playthrough, you can use that to get 108 stars of destiny, and see the full story. I really wouldn't recommend using a walkthrough during the first playthrough.

daoster

Also, not to sound like an ass or anything, but why are people excited that Vic Ireland is making some cryptic hints that Suikoden II may one day come to the PSN? Does Gaijinworks have anything to do with Konami, or are people just excited because he may know some people in Konami that may have told him something...

WalkMan

Banned

Well, Suikoden II's story was conceived before Suikoden I's - so in that case it sorta is a prologue.

Also, not to sound like an ass or anything, but why are people excited that Vic Ireland is making some cryptic hints that Suikoden II may one day come to the PSN? Does Gaijinworks have anything to do with Konami, or are people just excited because he may know some people in Konami that may have told him something...

Mostly wishful thinking and hope, but Vic tends to have a lot of friends around the industry.

Top Bottom