• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Every poster with over 100 posts in Spring |OT3|! A convenient list of names for AlphaGAF to add to its ignore list. Congrats to cajunator, who still managed to defeat Jexhius from beyond the grave thanks to cosmic's sudden Summer |OT| sucker punch.

Jexhius stole my rightful silver medal.

I demand a recount!

Instro

Oh man doesn't the K-On movie come out on BD soon?

Summer saved.

ibjXUqTdjJcXAg.gif

survivor

Banned
Every poster with over 100 posts in Spring |OT3|! A convenient list of names for AlphaGAF to add to its ignore list. Congrats to cajunator, who still managed to defeat Jexhius from beyond the grave thanks to cosmic's sudden Summer |OT| sucker punch.

I was aiming to break into the 400s but the thread died :(

Beetlejuice

Not sure if I've ever watched a live-action anime before, but this was quite excellent. Keaton was definitely my favorite seiyuu of the sort, bringing such exuberance to his titular role, but Baldwin and Ryder did great jobs as well. Very imaginative backgrounds, though the less said about those boring-ass lay-outs—the better!

—Oh. This is the anime thread I missed while I was watching Beetlejuice. That wasn't anime?!

MarkusRJR

I'm looking for something new to watch now that my usual bleach is gone (or has been gone for a while). I've been looking at One Piece or Naruto. I keep hearing good things about them but I've never seen a single episode of either. Which one is better?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I was late this time. Topic change caught me off-guard.

Welp, better make up for lost time then.

DENPA IS THE BEST, K-ON SUCKS

I was aiming to break into the 400s but the thread died :(

I can bump you up to 400 posts in the previous thread, but it'll have to come out of your tally for this thread!

I'm looking for something new to watch now that my usual bleach is gone (or has been gone for a while). I've been looking at One Piece or Naruto. I keep hearing good things about them but I've never seen a single episode of either. Which one is better?

My personal opinion is that One Piece is vastly better than Naruto, but if you enjoyed Bleach you're likely to find something enjoyable in both One Piece and Naruto.

Just to let Anime-GAF know: I'm going to be letting off the anime for a bit. I need to get back to heavy-duty work elsewhere, and I'm watching all of the regular film stuff stuff in my father's collection that I never got to watch when I was younger.

Though I might just watch Space Adventure Cobra. That looks good.

One Piece is probably the better of the two. You should also try Toriko, as that's a good (and mouth-watering) traditional battle shounen.

Tsuritama end

That was pretty good. Solid finale to a mostly solid show. There were some rough spots, but they were heavily outweighed by the awesome, particularly everyone's hot-blooded display when
Yuki cast off Haru. Great animation too.

This series was definitely an interesting experience, mainly because it's something I wouldn't normally watch due to the concept. However, I am a sucker for vibrant worlds/visuals, which this had in spades. That coupled with the inspiring, triumphant, and overall laid-back soundtrack (one track basically being the A-Team) really pushes this far and above the dull past time known as fishing.

At one point, I kind of hoped things would turn out for the worse for our characters (mainly during the boring middle portions), but I'm glad that shit never REALLY hit the fan even during the most intense scenes. Despite having the potential to end up really dark with major mood shifts and psychological bullshit, it maintained its uplifting and inspiration tone throughout. One of the reasons this show puts a massive smile on my face. Everything came together so well, that I really can't wish for this to be anything else.

I personally don't feel it is at the same level as [C], but it also shows that wasn't a total fluke in what I find watchable from Nakamura. Definitely in my top 5 for the spring season.

Ultimadrago

Whoever it may concern, I better see The Mystical Laws in the Fall OP!

Just to let Anime-GAF know: I'm going to be letting off the anime for a bit. I need to get back to heavy-duty work elsewhere, and I'm watching all of the regular film stuff stuff in my father's collection that I never got to watch when I was younger.

Aww. Make sure to drop by to say something full of quirkiness every once in a while!

wonzo

Banned
Gintama

Naruto has a better intro, but One Piece is exponentially better in the long run. If you're cool with the massive episode count (which I imagine you are if you're a Bleach fan), go for that.

As hosanna said, Toriko is also a good choice.

Ginga e Kickoff 12

Possibly the most least good episode of the bunch. Characters I liked barely had any roles, if any (well Kota had some lines), but others it was just Reika Reika Reika :/ Oh well at least Im rewarded for enduring this episode with the next episode, cant wait
Aoto, and Demon triplets episode it seemed

Against my better judgment, I'm starting to get hyped for Sword Art: Online. The pic in the OP makes me think of Etrian Odyssey.

I went from over 200 to not even making the list. I should probably be happy about this.

Articalys

Some impressions that I didn't get a chance to post earlier:

Dusk Maiden 12

The goodbye scene in the clubroom was absolutely incredible and definitely worked on my emotions. I could see the reversal happy end coming from a mile away though, unfortunately, though I guess I sort of understand why they went that way even though I much would have preferred the bittersweet ending. From what I understand they've already gone far off the manga plotline anyway, so why not?
Basically I agree with a lot of the other opinions on it. Same thing with...

Nyaruko 12

I thought the show might take itself semi-seriously for once, but of course they'd never do that. Definitely an "eh, whatever" ending. The show was good for Asumin and the rapid-fire references, and some good comedy bits, but nothing special overall.

Sket Dance 64

Excellent adaptation of this part of the arc. They did a really nice job with the Himeko-Saaya and Bossun-Saaya conversations, far above the manga.

Comedy anime are always hit-and-miss so I imagine it's going to be as divisive as every comedy series that's come before and yet to come.

Also, before we forget:

Got enough time to compile a list of total posts for all 3 OT's of the spring? ;P

Soma

Sankarea 12 END

Well, I can definitely see a season 2 eventually with an ending like that. There's still quite a bit from the manga that hasn't been touched upon either. Pretty relaxing and somewhat heartwarming episode with that aside.

Overall, I feel like the last few episodes tried to return to the quality of the first part of the show. Even still there were quite a few things holding it back unfortunately. For a rom-com with a weird twist, it was pretty decent. It didn't live up to the potential that the first few episodes presented but I enjoyed it for the most part.

The zombie twist made for some interesting situations but the show didn't always handle them very well. Whether that's due to the source material or on DEEN's behalf... I'm not really sure. I do have to say I really enjoyed a lot of the music this show had as well as having my favorite ED from the Spring season.

Wanko is still the worst girl, btw.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
July is K-On!! month. HTT 4 life!

-------

You know, if someone told me that the two best animes of 2012 would be a) both original shows and b) both be alien slice of life shows, I would have thought that person was crazy. But Tsuritama is was clearly the breakout hit of the season.
What's more interesting is that the series composer - Ono Toshiya - only did Suite Precure before Tsuritama. Talk about hitting your stride quickly.

And, it looks like Polar Bear Cafe is two cours, given the preview at the end of the episode? I'm cool with that, since it's the sleeper hit of the season, but as much as I like it, I hope that the mangaka and the business people have settled their mess and everyone's back to making more Polar Bear Cafe.

Also, Sasako x Handa! They have to make it happen!

1stStrike

Banned

Nuuuu~

I should do the same. But... I have to catch up on everything I want to watch first. As soon as I do that, I'm good.

I've been "catching up" for years now.

Will watch:

Rinne
Yuru yuri
Aruvu Rezuru: Kikai Jikake no Yousei-tachi
and maybe Binbougami ga

Kind of an underwhelming season.

You know, if someone told me that the two best animes of 2012 would be a) both original shows and b) both be alien slice of life shows, I would have thought that person was crazy. But Tsuritama is was clearly the breakout hit of the season.
What's more interesting is that the series composer - Ono Toshiya - only did Suite Precure before Tsuritama. Talk about hitting your stride quickly.

While I'm sure Ono is a fine writer and all, the driving force behind the narrative/characterization/etc. is definitely Kenji Nakamura.

And, it looks like Polar Bear Cafe is two cours, given the preview at the end of the episode? I'm cool with that, since it's the sleeper hit of the season, but as much as I like it, I hope that the mangaka and the business people have settled their mess and everyone's back to making more Polar Bear Cafe.

I saw somewhere that this is supposed to last a year, which wouldn't surprise me considering its prime-time airing slot and the fact that Studio Pierrot normally does longer shows. As long as they come up with enough material, I suppose they can keep it going as long as they want.

Oh, and the last report on the scandal is that the mangaka had settled her issues with her publisher and everything was going to go forward smoothly.

Jex

Movies (Also in order of importance)

Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Phoenix

Naruto: Road to Ninja

Blood C: The Last Dark

Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto-hen

Berserk Ougen Jidai Hen II

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

Why must you troll Hosoda and his works, cosmicblizzard??

Jex

That's like asking how can there be a Summer OT when 2 cour shows are still airing.

Also, this should have gone up weeks ago when Kingdom started.

Eh, that would have made even terrible. Just because one show has started doesn't mean that a whole new OT should go up, specially when there was about 8 other shows still to discuss in the previous one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom