• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

Two tidbits from last week's LN sales rankings:

- The 11th volume of Oreimo sold 79,690 copies.
- Sword Art Online volume 1 has now sold over 400,000 copies in its lifetime, supplementing a report from earlier this week that the series overall has over 5.85 million copies in circulation. If you actually crunch the numbers, you get about 2.85 million copies actually sold, for what it's worth.

So between the 3rd and the 9th, Oreimo v11 sold 80k copies? Wasn't the release date for v11 9/10? How does that work?

Narag

It was originally conceputalized in 10 years ago I believe. I don't think it went into print until later though.

EDIT: first volume was 2009

Wait wait wait, first volume was printed in 2009 and he fucked it up so bad in a couple years he has to go back and fix stuff with a rerelease 3 years later? He didn't have a plan at all here.

It was originally conceputalized in 10 years ago I believe. I don't think it went into print until later though.

EDIT: first volume was 2009

Kawahara originally wrote the first volume of Sword Art Online in 2002 to compete for the Dengeki Game Novel Prize, but exceeded the page limit. So he published it as a web novel instead, and added three more volumes and several side stories over the next few years. After eventually winning the Dengeki Prize in 2008 with Accel World, the publisher wanted to get his previous work published as well. So the web novel versions were withdrawn and the first print version of the first volume came out in 2009.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait wait wait, first volume was printed in 2009 and he fucked it up so bad in a couple years he has to go back and fix stuff with a rerelease 3 years later? He didn't have a plan at all here.

Okay. It was just an entry into a contest first. That was when he first conceptualized it. Then he made it into a web novel and it got a lot of popularity over time. Eventually a publisher decided to take the web version and just print it. That's why there's a huge gap. The original material is hella old and was never revised.

EDIT: From BT: "It was written as a Web novel with the penname "Kunori Fumio" since 2002, and was published in 2009 at the same time as Accel World, in the label Dengeki Bunko."

Narag

Kawahara originally wrote the first volume of Sword Art Online in 2002 to compete for the Dengeki Game Novel Prize, but exceeded the page limit. So he published it as a web novel instead, and added three more volumes and several side stories over the next few years. After eventually winning the Dengeki Prize in 2008 with Accel World, the publisher wanted to get his previous work published as well. So the web novel versions were withdrawn and the first print version of the first volume came out in 2009.

This makes me feel better. I thought he actually churned out 10-11 SAO LNs in three years here.

kayos90

This makes me feel better. I thought he actually churned out 10-11 SAO LNs in three years here.

Oh hell no. He has enough material on the web version for 8 novels right now apparently. Considering he's still not done with his fucking 4th arc.

ohlawd

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ 11

0SOos.jpg

Best episode ever ;_;

Articalys

So between the 3rd and the 9th, Oreimo v11 sold 80k copies? Wasn't the release date for v11 9/10? How does that work?
Well, the Amazon.co.jp page for it shows the release date as September 7, 2012, so... *shrug*

Also, I did a bit more number crunching on the SAO light novel sales. As of July 8, the series volumes 1-9 had sold about 1.46 million lifetime. The next week (July 9-15) was not only the release of volume 10 but also the first full week of sales since the anime started airing, and that's when the incredible boosts began. Now, nine weeks later, even if you don't include the vol. 10 sales, the series overall has increased its lifetime sales by over 80% -- and if you do include it, that figure jumps to 95%.

The series was definitely popular before, but the anime has turned it into a juggernaut.

Nafe

Rinne no Lagrange 19
http://i.imgur.com/zF57u.jpg[img]
Dead Eyes Moe
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to pretend this secretly says "To Nafe" :)

[quote="sonicmj1, post: 42016173"]Did you know that there's no entry for "gullible" in the dictionary?[/QUOTE]

I still find it somewhat humourously ironic that the word "Dictionary" is found within the dictionary.

[quote="RurouniZel, post: 42018902"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iboNnz5vbFMs5D.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I've seen or heard quite a few people refer to anime characters as being "glassy eyed freaks", looking at all these Chitanda gifs I don't think she's really helping to change that perception haha.

[quote="Chet Rippo, post: 42035499"][B]Rinne no Lagrange 20[/B]

This episode, save for the last minute or 2, could have probably aired at any point. Just some Jersey club antics. They get a new member of the club, but [URL="http://i.imgur.com/kyAqw.png"]lose her[/URL] after she learns its not a club about [URL="http://i.imgur.com/89LUr.jpg"]piloting robots[/URL].
Some sinister plot is slowly emerging, though it looks like it will be a while before anything really takes off.[/QUOTE]

I remember some of the backgrounds in this episode looked really low budget. When the girls were trying to recruit the new girl there was a static painted or sketched type background but with students added as well. It looked kind of strange to me seeing the girls literally standing around talking for a couple minutes, where these people in the background just stood absolutely still. It probably would have looked a bit better if they didn't include them.

[quote="Jarmel, post: 42050555"]By far my favorite scene of Mayaka.[/QUOTE]

It's certainly one of those scenes of the show I'll probably remember long after it has finished airing.

OceanBlue

Well, the Amazon.co.jp page for it shows the release date as September 7, 2012, so... *shrug*

Also, I did a bit more number crunching on the SAO light novel sales. As of July 8, the series volumes 1-9 had sold about 1.46 million lifetime. The next week (July 9-15) was not only the release of volume 10 but also the first full week of sales since the anime started airing, and that's when the incredible boosts began. Now, nine weeks later, even if you don't include the vol. 10 sales, the series overall has increased its lifetime sales by over 80% -- and if you do include it, that figure jumps to 95%.

The series was definitely popular before, but the anime has turned it into a juggernaut.

Ah, I didn't think to look at the Amazon page. That makes a lot more sense. 80k in two days isn't bad at all.

kayos90

8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

Taruranto

Two tidbits from last week's LN sales rankings:

- The 11th volume of Oreimo sold 79,690 copies.
- Sword Art Online volume 1 has now sold over 400,000 copies in its lifetime, supplementing a report from earlier this week that the series overall has over 5.85 million copies in circulation. If you actually crunch the numbers, you get about 2.85 million copies actually sold, for what it's worth.

Where is that .gif when i need it.
You know, that one.

Bleach 206 - 209 rewatch dubwatch
tumblr_m2oi7cObu61r3qi9do7_r1_250.gif

Still confused why Viz has no dvd menu music at all. Velonica still sounds as awesome as ever. Kid Byakuya was hilarious. Hopefully will finish the rest over the next day or so.

Uchip

Banned
I was annoyed at the incompetant key character that sells the series, I guess shes not my kind of cute or something, dropped not even to the end of ep 1.

we know you dont like girls unless theyre serving the purpose of being a sword though.

I'm in the same position. Might like it more if i watched it but the stills/gifs don't really do much for me.

it just feels like ive seen it a hundred times before

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I actually thought that Acchi Kocchi was one of those mini-series with three minute episodes until I watched the fist episode. It doesn't drag as much as I thought it would, but this is one of those "break glass in case of severe depression" series that I'm going to keep in my pocket until needed.

Branduil

I actually thought that Acchi Kocchi was one of those mini-series with three minute episodes until I watched the fist episode. It doesn't drag as much as I thought it would, but this is one of those "break glass in case of severe depression" series that I'm going to keep in my pocket until needed.

iuP852c1YowZy.JPG

you chose to pick up the series again right before filler(s)? (one of which seems like it will be awesome)

I'm just skipping around in the war episodes because I like the arc.

Naruto Shippuden 275

Oh shit, actual animation! Naruto and Bee's breakout was awesome. Of course they gotta up the budget when the main character and the best character are going nuts.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
This is really true of everything, or should be. Some people are just stuck in literary juvenalia mode and cannot yet comprehend any purpose to fiction other than plot uber alles. I have faith that someday they'll crack that eggshell, though!

Firstly, no, it shouldn't be true of everything.

Secondly, while Hyouka indeed focuses on the relationships between the characters, the characters are so vapid and dull for far too many episodes that it really ruins the show.

jman2050

This is really true of everything, or should be. Some people are just stuck in literary juvenalia mode and cannot yet comprehend any purpose to fiction other than plot uber alles. I have faith that someday they'll crack that eggshell, though!

I find this stance in and of itself pretty juvenile. Different people look to fiction to fit different needs that fit their own tastes and circumstances.

Please correct me if I'm reading you incorrectly, by all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom