• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
gdJyZEA.png

Mai waifu, don't touch.

sonicmj1

I hate the word pandering, or at least the modern internet usage of it. Such a midbrow thing to say.

You know you're undercore when you use words like "midbrow".

I don't have too much confidence in anything this season, but enough stuff seems intriguing that I don't intend to go out of my way to make a new backlog season. Maybe I'll watch Aoi Bungaku, since I told a friend I'd check it out.

Anyway, I'm probably going to sample:
Gold Mosaic- Watching Japan handle English speakers learning Japanese (and vice versa) will at least be interesting.
WataMote - The manga is good in an embarrassing kind of way that reminds me of the things I hate most about my social skills.
Free! - Kyoani always merits a few episodes.
Gatchaman Crowds - I hope it's three quarters as good as Tsuritama or Trapeze
Servant x Service - Premise seems potentially interesting.
Silver Spoon - I dunno, people speak highly of the manga?
Neptunia - Only because DavidPro, but I'll almost certainly drop it after an episode or two.

And I'll probably watch Teekyu from beginning to end since it's so low-risk.

PsionBolt

The show of the season for me is already decided as Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya. That said, I'll also be watching for sure:

Monogatari 2nd Season
Gatchaman Crowds
New Rozen Maiden
Symphogear G
The World God Only Knows 3

Everything else falls into the pile of "might watch it if it's well-received, or maybe just for shiggles".

Shergal

Not seeing a lot of potential this season.

Free
Gatchaman
Ragetown
Blood Lad
Love Lab
Silver Spoon
that Gainax show about cute girls with guns
the PA Works abomination.

I'm planning to try these, only expecting to keep up with Gatchaman and probably Free because it's Kyoani.
Hopefully some shows manage to surprise me. Otherwise, backlog season.

Also nice OP!

cnet128

Banned
Two anime threads at once?! With at least a week or two to go before the new season?! Where will I post my Precure impressions now?! This all feels so terrifying and wrong...

Also I guess this means I ought to think about which shows I'm going to be watching in the Summer season. I'll see if I can come up with a list at some point. This isn't going to be an easy task (it never is)...

7Th

Official English site for Gatchaman Crowds from NTV featuring detailed character profiles and descriptions for the abilities of the main characters: http://www.ntv.co.jp/english/pc/2013/06/1483.html

img_hajime_1.gif

Hajime Ichinose
Bubbly and bursting with energy, this 16-year old main character is an artsy high school girl who is into all things pretty and cute. Just when Hajime was starting to crave more excitement in life, she gets recruited by J.J. Robinson to become part of the G-CREW. True to her style, Hajime’s weapons are made of pastel-colored bullets and scissors.

img_sugane.gif

Sugane Tachibana
At 19, Sugane is a high school senior who is wise beyond his years. A champion of justice, he has been part of the G-CREW for 5 years and possesses the power to break the boundaries of time and space.

img_joe.gif

Joe Hibiki
Serious government employee by day and dart aficionado by night, this 10-year veteran has the power to control flames and is the only GATCHAMAN who can fly. A dark yet passionate character, he develops a strange fascination for cheerful Hajime.

And Berg-Katze and President X are definitely meant to be the main antagonists, just like in the original show:

img_katze.gif
=
gxtLM9K.jpg

Berg-Katze
This 2.15 meter tall creature is actually an alien who gathers and replicates data to create fakes. Mentally disturbed, he enjoys seeing people suffer and approaches Rui to get close to President X.

img_xxx.gif
=
wlnxdyy.jpg

President X
President X gathers the most useful information available and finds the best solutions to all the problems in the world. Rui sees President X as his only true friend. They have worked together since Rui was 12 and their mission is to re-program people’s minds.

BluWacky

Who is Silver Spoon pandering to?

Those farming otaku, you know. Such a weird fetish.

To be honest, I'm hoping Silver Spoon is Moyashimon done "right". Something about the tone of Moyashimon never sat well with me - it seemed to dip into the "wacky Japanese comedy" well of gross sidekick roommates and drunk women with big tits too much - but I always thought it had an interesting setting and premise. I'm hoping that Silver Spoon will be more my kind of thing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 13

Holy balls of fire, that man's face when Kirito mentioned soy sauce. Oh my gosh. To be fair, after 2 years without familiar American flavors I was pretty ecstatic to get some, too. Hahaha, this old guy takes Kirito down a few hundred pegs right in front of his wife, and basically saw SAO as a way to go fishing while at work. Like the cut of this nutball's jib, I do.

Oh damn, Kirito and Asuna share a bed now. When did this relationship upgrade happen? I can't believe I'm saying this, but Kirito's development from The Lonely Beater into the Wife Beater (HAHAHAHA I DON'T KNOW), er, rather, from a loner to someone who does care about finishing the game and getting people out actually does come off as decently done. And while I'm not a huge fan of remembering that Kirito and Asuna look 14 and 15 at the moment, their pillow talk at least looked natural, the way it was animated.

Lol, this fishing episode is actually pretty light-hearted and funny so far. I'm legitimately enjoying this episode. Someone kill me before I wind up liking this show. Man, as a 13 year old I would have eaten this Asuna explaining why she loves Kirito scene UP. Now I have to ask: when does Kirito return the favor and explain why he loves her?

Cecil tells Rosa to get the fuck off his Lunar Whale, even though she has proven herself capable of defending herself, too. Rosa tells him to shut up.

You know, honestly, Asuna's side of this relationship is pretty good: She's explained why she loves him, that she loves him, she was the one who wanted to run away for awhile, to get hitched, to have sex, and her crying that she wants everything to be for real is honestly not that badly written. The reason this romance isn't working for me is because Kirito isn't reciprocating anything. It's like Asuna fell in love with Plank from Ed Edd n Eddy. Kirito isn't bad at expressing his feelings, he's just not showing any at all.

Which I think, really, gets to the heart of the issue of Kirito's entire character. Where Asuna has been developed, and we've seen her development, and has had a chance to express herself and have some substance, Kirito is still a very empty character. Aside from his shift from selfish asshole to guy who cares about the game, there's not much depth to Kirito. He kinda reminds me of Prince Sneasel, from Code Geass, in that respect. He feels really lacking in anything.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S KLEIN AND KHAN BASILIO!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, a boss fight. I'll say this for the show: it's environments are always visually interesting.

Oh man. I can't wait. It's coming.

cnet128

Banned
Make a Precure OT!

I don't want to relegate the Precure goodness to some cordoned-off niche. It deserves better than that. I want it to stay right here in the thick of things.

...Also I have vague aspirations of making the Wall of Shame this time around, and drowning the thread in Precure impressions supports this sinful agenda.

wonzo

Banned
Precure's far more relevant to the thread than most of the cute imagespam white noise that permeates throughout it most of the time.

cajunator

Banned
Two anime threads at once?! With at least a week or two to go before the new season?! Where will I post my Precure impressions now?! This all feels so terrifying and wrong...

Also I guess this means I ought to think about which shows I'm going to be watching in the Summer season. I'll see if I can come up with a list at some point. This isn't going to be an easy task (it never is)...

Shame on them for splintering the threads :(

Nothing against you Precure dudes, but I'm also of the mind that Precure should have its own OT.

It should. MadPierrot said he would gladly make one.

BluWacky

How's Black Butler? Would be the next anime on my list.

What kind of show are you into? It's not a brilliant must-see show or anything like that, but if you're into (not very ambiguous) fangirl-friendly slash and a vaguely gothic aesthetic you'll probably enjoy it.

I know nothing about Precure and rarely read any posts about it, but I see no problem having it in here. They are mostly self-contained impressions, it's not like they are sprawling out of control and taking over the thread.

Jex

Even though a Summer series has started airing it still seems a little early for a Summer thread considering how most titles have a couple of weeks left to go.

However, it really doesn't matter what thread we post in so it's not like it really matters that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom