• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nozaki 7

cOCynlY.png

I want a spin-off featuring NTR-chan.

Midonin

Rurumo is on CR's schedule on a Wednesday instead of late Friday evening/Saturday morning. That's much, much better.

Now if only they could get the deal with Climb worked out.

Quasar

Baby Steps 20 - I really liked this episode. Which probably says I shouldn't be watching sports anime as it was a almost no tennis played episode.

Nozaki-kun 7 - Continues its super consistently, super funny run. I did miss the lack of Seo though.

Akame ga Kill 7 - Not a whole lot to say. Giant relationship flag raised. Dudes split in twain.

yami4ct

Alright guys. First post in a long long while, due to me being pretty busy, but here's a big catch up on what I've been watching in hopes I'll be posting more here again soon.

Space Dandy 2

I had some hope going into SD's second season that the show would slowly become less episodic as the season went on. It has a great sci-fi world that I would have wanted a more substantial story from. For better or worse, that hasn't been the case. The show's comedy still mostly works and the main cast is still super duper fun. It has such an eclectic mix of episode content that definitely helps keep it interesting. When the show works, it really works, I just would have liked a bit more.

Akame ga Kill

Picked this up after seeing some pretty decent hype and have liked it so far. I'm hoping it starts telling a larger story than it is currently, but what's there is super interesting. The show has a great way of defying expectations. A wonderfully twisted cast and world mixed in with some pretty gorgeous animation. I'm really surprised how good the show looks given the other White Fox show I've seen, Steins;Gate, was less than stellar. Overall, super enjoyable.

Captain Earth

Guys, I'm sort of in love with this show. It's so much better than it has any right to be. Just a great bit of super robot TV. The cast is way more interesting than they have any right to be, particularly Hana. What seemed like an annoyingly air-heated pixie girl has been given enough moments of being a badass that she's actually interesting to watch. Animation is absolutely stunning. The scifi elements are goofy enough to be fun, but not so goofy as to remove all stakes. Probably my favorite show of the season. Just so much better than I was expecting.

Black Lagoon

Been catching this while it airs on Toonami. Kind of hated it at first. It just felt like it was trying too hard to be edgy with the ultra violence and profanity. With the Second Barrage, though, the show has gotten loads better. The cast has become more well rounded and the stories it's telling actually have some emotional weight. Glad I kept with it.

JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

It's still JoJo, and it's still mostly great. We're definitely in the section of this Part that I found most infuriating. Most of the fights between The Wheel and the Final Battle feel overblown and gimmicky. There are some standouts, the recent Death 13 fight is certainly one, but the pacing just takes a nosedive. I had hopes that the anime would fix that, but with their handling of the Lovers fight, it's clear that they really aren't. Fights that don't need to be that long are still stretched to 2 episodes with loads of filler moments, killing the momentum the show had. Still excited for some of the upcoming material, but right now I just cannot wait to get through this and to the hopefully eventual Part 4 adaptation.

Rurouni Kenshin: Episodes 1-43

For some reason, I really had the urge to go back to this show. It's really interesting to see what has held up to the test of time and what hasn't. The thing that has surprised me most is how kind of bad the show looked up to the Saito fight. Tons of repeated animation and still frames combined with some really jerky animation really hurts a ton of key fights before that. Even the first Aoshi fight (one that I remember quite fondly) just looks kind of boring and terrible. Once the show hits the Kyoto arc, everything changes. There are still some moments of bad animation, but the fights become much smoother and more dynamic. the still frames are used much less and the show finally starts looking like I remember.

Story wise, the show does still hold up. The cast is great and the drama is surprisingly deep for a shonen show. It definitely isn't quite as strong until it hits Kyoto, but what's there is still good. I will probably right a much longer piece on this once I finish Kyoto as I have a ton more to say.

Ok, there's my big catch up. Now that that's done, I hope to be posting here more often. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

zulux21

Akame ga Kill

Picked this up after seeing some pretty decent hype and have liked it so far. I'm hoping it starts telling a larger story than it is currently, but what's there is super interesting. The show has a great way of defying expectations. A wonderfully twisted cast and world mixed in with some pretty gorgeous animation. I'm really surprised how good the show looks given the other White Fox show I've seen, Steins;Gate, was less than stellar. Overall, super enjoyable.

I imagine that it will start telling a bigger story soon as they have been setting up their goals and the current episode had
part 1
in the title :p

jgminto

JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

It's still JoJo, and it's still mostly great. We're definitely in the section of this Part that I found most infuriating. Most of the fights between The Wheel and the Final Battle feel overblown and gimmicky. There are some standouts, the recent Death 13 fight is certainly one, but the pacing just takes a nosedive. I had hopes that the anime would fix that, but with their handling of the Lovers fight, it's clear that they really aren't. Fights that don't need to be that long are still stretched to 2 episodes with loads of filler moments, killing the momentum the show had. Still excited for some of the upcoming material, but right now I just cannot wait to get through this and to the hopefully eventual Part 4 adaptation.

It isn't filler. There have been barely any added scenes. It has all been direct adaptation.

yami4ct

It isn't filler. There have been barely any added scenes. It has all been direct adaptation.

I don't mean filler as in anime exclusive. I guess I should clarify. I mean filler as in pure time-extension. Even in the Manga, Part 3 had these problems. Araki jams on some points for way too long to the point they almost become boring. The Lovers is a perfect example of that. We didn't need as many scenes of
Steely Dan treating Jotaro like shit
and the fight
inside Joseph's head
didn't need to be so long. It's a problem I have with many of the more gimmicky fights in Part 3. They just spoil the pacing so much that the arc becomes kind of boring to watch.

Narag

Filler has devolved into a term that basically means "stuff I don't want to see." I should spend a week with that approach describing anything I don't care for as filler.

yami4ct

Filler has devolved into a term that basically means "stuff I don't want to see." I should spend a week with that approach describing anything I don't care for as filler.

Filler has kind of always been a crappily indirect term. In most cases it means anime-exclusive time wasting, but I've definitely seen it used (and obviously used it myself) to just describe any sort of time wasting moment, even in original material. It's a term that sucks in the same way saying "gameplay" sucks. It's kind of meaningless and I should probably delete it from my lexicon.

zulux21

Filler has kind of always been a crappily indirect term. In most cases it means anime-exclusive time wasting, but I've definitely seen it used (and obviously used it myself) to just describe any sort of time wasting moment, even in original material. It's a term that sucks in the same way saying "gameplay" sucks. It's kind of meaningless and I should probably delete it from my lexicon.

I always use the phrase anime filler when referring to stuff that wasn't in the original manga, and filler in general for stuff that feels to be of little importance that is just there to pad out the story and make it longer. (of course for some series that is basically the whole series >.>)

Narag

Well, the scenario posted before my post makes a lot of sense in context.

jgminto

I don't mean filler as in anime exclusive. I guess I should clarify. I mean filler as in pure time-extension. Even in the Manga, Part 3 had these problems. Araki jams on some points for way too long to the point they almost become boring. The Lovers is a perfect example of that. We didn't need as many scenes of
Steely Dan treating Jotaro like shit
and the fight
inside Joseph's head
didn't need to be so long. It's a problem I have with many of the more gimmicky fights in Part 3. They just spoil the pacing so much that the arc becomes kind of boring to watch.

Well I don't think it was done for time extension either. The Steely Dan sections are meant to irritate the reader/viewer and build up to his
final beatdown and receiving his receipt.
It was immensely satisfying for me when I first read the manga and it was here too, even if the oras were a little lackluster.

yami4ct

Well I don't think it was done for time extension either. The Steely Dan sections are meant to irritate the reader/viewer and build up to his
final beatdown and receiving his receipt.
It was immensely satisfying for me when I first read the manga and it was here too, even if the oras were a little lackluster.

I get why it was done, but it just doesn't work for me. It's part of why I don't like Part 3 very much at all. I feel like Araki has way too many scenarios like that and gimmick fights that kind of go nowhere to the point that the pacing is shot to hell. To each his own, though. It's clearly going to work for some, it just isn't my cup of tea which is why Part 3 is my least favorite JoJo.

Clov

Usagi Drop Ep. 1

This was pleasant. Though it felt a little rushed that she would have gone with him so soon.

I'm glad to see someone else start watching this! It's a wonderful and heartwarming anime. I'm glad that you liked the first episode, and I hope that you'll enjoy the rest of it too!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm glad to see someone else start watching this! It's a wonderful and heartwarming anime. I'm glad that you liked the first episode, and I hope that you'll enjoy the rest of it too!

I also hope that you'll read the manga after the anime to get the true ending!

Link Man

Banned
School Days 10

Was the editor drunk for the pre-OP scene?

Goddammit, all of these problems are due to the fact that nobody knows how to communicate. It's just so terribly frustrating.

Birth of a yandere?

Fucking hell, Makoto, are you just gonna bone your way through the class roster?

ibq0BmNk2qqhoE.gif

cajunator

Banned
School Days 10

Was the editor drunk for the pre-OP scene?

Goddammit, all of these problems are due to the fact that nobody knows how to communicate. It's just so terribly frustrating.

Birth of a yandere?

Fucking hell, Makoto, are you just gonna bone your way through the class roster?

ibq0BmNk2qqhoE.gif

You've been slamming your head on tables all day
*gives you a pillow

jman2050

School Days 10

Makoto can communicate just fine.

"Hello female, can I have sex with you?"
"No"
"Pretty please?"
"No"
"Pretty pretty please?"
"No"
"With sugar on top"
"Oh fine! Let me take off my clothes first"

fertygo

Using filler to address something with anthology structure not making any sense though. Its one of those moment the word legitimately used incorrectly and annoying.

yami4ct

Using filler to address something with anthology structure not making any sense though. Its one of those moment the word legitimately used incorrectly and annoying.

Filler can exist in an anthology, particularly if the individual pieces are long enough. Filler just means any piece of material that just exists to take up time and doesn't really have too much narrative meaning.

Actually, posting those gifs have kind of made me want to watch Railgun. Do I need to watch Index first, though?
No. Railgun mostly takes place before Index starts. Even S2 of Railgun is early in the Index timeline, and even then you'd be better off not having seen index because Railgun repeats a lot of material from it.
Though its still used as a negative outside anime. I'd always heard it as a bad thing long before I got interested in anime.
It definitely has a negative connotation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is railgun better than index? I did not like index at all.

I thought Index was terrible mainly because Index her itself is a god awful character.

Railgun is quite enjoyable though. Less of the crazy pseudo-religion bullshit in Index (and almost no Index) and more like girls just being girls along the lines of a K-On. Only with some enjoyable fights.

Link Man

Banned
School Days 11

...THEY'VE BARELY INTERACTED!!!

And a lingering thought, is Makoto even using condoms?

Wow,
Kotonoha's really lost it.

This is, like, literally the worst thing ever.

Welp, I guess that answers my earlier question.

iCnfRUyPjeJ2e.gif

cajunator

Banned
School Days 11

Wow,

iCnfRUyPjeJ2e.gif

Its so terrible. The dvd just came out if you want to buy it!

mankoto

School Days 11

Wow,

iCnfRUyPjeJ2e.gif

The ride is almost over :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom