• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

and Inside Out is for the adults with young children who took them to see the above films
It's a very emotional film targeted to parents

Well....

a) That's a Pixar film, so I think of them differently

b) I still haven't seen it yet because it only opens here at the end of the month. Thanks for reminding me how lame Disney animated distribution internationally is! >_<

Lain

0CL8Ra6.png
This picture from a few days ago works here I guess. That was certainly something to wake up to.

Oh, Kill Me Baby, best thing or bestest thing ever made? I wish something as good as that had a chance in hell in getting licensed and released here in Italy.

Mandelbo

Oh, Kill Me Baby, best thing or bestest thing ever made? I wish something as good as that had a chance in hell in getting licensed and released here in Italy.

Damn straight! I'm glad I imported my copy from the US a couple of years back because it's only just releasing in the UK a few months from now.

Big hero 6 was the most generic tale I had seen in ages. I can't remember which movies it stole the animated film award from, but they were robbed so badly and the academy awards needs to get people whose voting mentality isn't "I don't watch kiddie movies but my grandchildren like this one"

phaze

Prison School #6

Wait, what? Hana forgot what happened in the hospital room?

post-10450-Half-Baked-this-is-some-BULLSH-JOTU.gif

Fucking typical.

Plot-sama wills it. Who are you to question him ?

Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark

Power of friendship too strong. I don't think they really needed to spend so much time in the hotel when the nature of the whole conundrum as well as the inevitable outcome was obvious to the viewer. I don't remember this "barbarian" race from the TV show but if they are to be the villains for the second season, I sure hope they have more interesting villains in their midst compared to the one they displayed here.

Overall, it's more of Yamato. I doubt I'll ever, with its retro feel, uninteresting characters and silly plot lines, fully get it but the execution and all that entails remains strong. And really it has space ships. That fire lasers. In space. Who am I to say no to that ?

Also, wasn't (tv series spoilers)
worst girl supposed to be kaput during their voyage back ? Or does that happen only after the events of the movie ?

Quasar

Unless you like traditional animation.

All we got was Princess and the Frog.

I liked Frozen though, and a Tangled a bit more. Which is pretty unusual for me with CG animation. Even Pixar I never really was that keen on. At least not post Incredibles.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Damn straight! I'm glad I imported my copy from the US a couple of years back because it's only just releasing in the UK a few months from now.
These posts are currently the only things redeeming this community at the moment.

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark

Power of friendship too strong. I don't think they really needed to spend so much time in the hotel when the nature of the whole conundrum as well as the inevitable outcome was obvious to the viewer. I don't remember this "barbarian" race from the TV show but if they are to be the villains for the second season, I sure hope they have more interesting villains in their midst compared to the one they displayed here.

They were featured in the series as the race being pushed back by the Garmillans at the border worlds. Most of the prisoners on the prison planet near the end of the series were also of this race. This is just a tease of what they're like. I'm sure when they get around to it in a full series, there'll be a lot of fleshing out in terms of their culture, history, and motivations, just like how they modernized the Garmillans in the 2199 series.

Also, wasn't (tv series spoilers)
worst girl supposed to be kaput during their voyage back ? Or does that happen only after the events of the movie ?

The movie takes place just before the events of the final two episodes.

Quasar

It's interesting how the keep all the other characters in the stories even if there is no direct interactions with the MC. The format reminds me of the special character arcs added for Tomoyo and Kyou ar the end of season 1&2 of Clannad.

Yeah. I found it especially interesting where characters later in the season who were the focus had already been built up as side characters in prior arcs so you already knew them.

Saudades

Big hero 6 was the most generic tale I had seen in ages. I can't remember which movies it stole the animated film award from, but they were robbed so badly and the academy awards needs to get people whose voting mentality isn't "I don't watch kiddie movies but my grandchildren like this one"
Princess Kaguya was robbed.
Yeah I haven't watched the other 3 nominated films, but Kaguya was robbed!
Still salty for Takahata.

I've been lazy to start the sci fi shows I was going to watch. Ugh. Backlog anime. I can't even remember what the first two were called.

I know one was the google glass kids anime
then one with a short name like Haly or something
can't remember the third.

These posts are currently the only things redeeming this community at the moment.

For real. What happened to the AnimeGAF that I found when I joined in 2013? :(

I miss those days. The days where the only thing we worried about was how much of Corvo's sanity would be lost while watching Code Geass R2 and SAO.

Beats

Just watched the latest animator expo short. Pretty enjoyable, and visually it was very different compared to Studio Colorido's other works that I've seen.

Does anyone know how long they'll keep putting these shorts out? I haven't been watching much TV anime lately, but I always end up checking these out at least.

phaze

I've been lazy to start the sci fi shows I was going to watch. Ugh. Backlog anime. I can't even remember what the first two were called.

I know one was the google glass kids anime
then one with a short name like Haly or something
can't remember the third.

There is a search function you know. -_-

Dennou Coil, Kaiba, Cencoroll.

They were featured in the series as the race being pushed back by the Garmillans at the border worlds. Most of the prisoners on the prison planet near the end of the series were also of this race. This is just a tease of what they're like. I'm sure when they get around to it in a full series, there'll be a lot of fleshing out in terms of their culture, history, and motivations, just like how they modernized the Garmillans in the 2199 series.

The movie takes place just before the events of the final two episodes.

Right. It's been a while.

Third is obviously Ozma.

Looks like Yamato.

NeonZ

Now, concerning Urusei Yatsura. I've watched the first 6 episodes and it made an initially good impression but I've already gotten somewhat bored by the episodic nature and the 'banter' between Ataru, Shinobu and Lum is already kind of getting on my nerves.

Some of you mentioned something changes after the initial 20 episodes and I wonder if that would actually keep me entertained then. Otherwise I'm not really keen on continuing it.

Around episode 10, there's Mendou's introduction (Ataru's main rival) and Lum definitively moving to main love interest position while Shinobu becomes a secondary character, which change a lot of the dynamics. Afterwards, after the first 20 or episodes it changes from the 2 stories per episode format to one story per episode (initially, it's pretty much still two stories though, just with no title card). That gives the anime team more time to add their own material, which is often pretty different from the manga's. I actually really liked most of the anime's additions, although, after reading various reviews, opinions about them seem to be pretty split.

Around episode 10, there's Mendou's introduction (Ataru's main rival) and Lum definitively moving to main love interest position while Shinobu becomes a secondary character, which change a lot of the dynamics. Afterwards, after the first 20 or episodes it changes from the 2 stories per episode format to one story per episode (initially, it's pretty much still two stories though, just with no title card). That gives the anime team more time to add their own material, which is often pretty different from the manga's. I actually really liked most of the anime's additions, although, after reading various reviews, opinions about them seem to be pretty split.

Thanks. I'll probably slow-watch some more of it and see how it goes for me.

Why does it feel like me liking Psycho Pass is my cross to bear.

I feel yah. Not sure if I'd still like it by this point though. Can't help but feel like a lot of the criticism is justified and I doubt I can watch it again without paying more attention to its flaws. That said, it'll always be far beyond real shit, like the second season and movie.

duckroll

Just watched the latest animator expo short. Pretty enjoyable, and visually it was very different compared to Studio Colorido's other works that I've seen.

Does anyone know how long they'll keep putting these shorts out? I haven't been watching much TV anime lately, but I always end up checking these out at least.

There are another 8 for this third season. Beyond that who knows. I think they originally said they had about 30 planned, and by the end of this season they will have surpassed that.

Just means you're not extremely picky!

that's the thing though, I'm still very critical and picky with my anime and tv shows (TD Season 2 was shitty)unless I outright admit I'm watching it as a guilty pleasure. Psycho Pass is flawed, but S1 was still a very entertaining dystopia, even if it would have done better if it stayed more grounded.

I can't expect Bladerunner dystopia cyberpunk noir, so I took the closest anime.

Busaiku

Just saw Wolf Children again, and I always get freaked out during the love making scene.
Why Mr. Hosoda.

Should I even look forward to The Boy and The Beast.

Just saw Wolf Children again, and I always get freaked out during the love making scene.
Why Mr. Hosoda.

Should I even look forward to The Boy and The Beast.

Jup, that's such a big "but why?" moment for me. But maybe he felt like the film needed just a pinch of bestiality.

Dynedom

RE: Wolf Children boogie-woogie scene

I'm reminded of a certain Futurama episode:

"Why couldn't she be the other kind of mermaid? With the fish part on the top and the woman part on the bottom!"

I mean it's just a visual metaphor about unconditional acceptance.

Sure, it's just not every visual metaphor is an actually good idea. The lines between metaphor and reality (within the show) are too thinly drawn for that to work out. I mean these quasi-werewolves do exist there so, whether it's supposed to be a metaphor or not, I'm watching some girl going down on some wolf.

How about you show their unconditional acceptance by letting them have sex the normal way? I mean it's just so unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom