• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soma 21

FEMUF6r.jpg
0P1rfsf.jpg
s66xuuu.jpg

Woah it's almost like I am reading the thread!

Now we getting into the real shit. These matches are going to be really great.

They also changed up the ED again. Amazing.

Charlotte-7
Remember kids if you use cocaine you're no longer human. Just dump some stew on the floor and eat the stew off the floor like an animal, you piece of shit.

That sounds accurate to Japan's portrayal of drugs and treatment.

Things like smells and foods have a way of triggering memories for people. Individuals can recognize smells and bring up memories long forgotten. I'll have to see how the show handles the material going forward but I'm more than fine with the concept of someone eating something and it triggers memories of a happy time for them, causing them to mellow out. I do think the pacing was wonky in this episode but I do like some of the ideas trying to be presented even if the execution is woefully lacking.

I think it's better than someone just giving a peptalk.

it's better than a pep talk but combined with the other issues in the show it felt cheap and unwarranted. Maybe I'm more bothered by it because of the other issues I have with the show and I'm not being fair. But if they really wanted to sell it they should have found a letter she wrote to onii-chan [in CAPS LOCK because she absolutely could not talk without screaming] where she tells him to live a good life with pizza sauce.

Jarmel

Banned
it's better than a pep talk but combined with the other issues in the show it felt cheap and unwarranted. Maybe I'm more bothered by it because of the other issues I have with the show and I'm not being fair. But if they really wanted to sell it they should have found a letter she wrote to onii-chan [in CAPS LOCK because she absolutely could not talk without screaming] where she tells him to live a good life with pizza sauce.

I really think parts of this are due to the fact that they tried to cram in two or three episodes worth of material and character reflection into one episode.

Unless they completely botch the second half, which I don't think they will, AotY will probably be Fafner Exodus.

I really need to get back to watching the original Fafner. The first few episodes weren't necessarily bad, but were a slog to get through so I ended up putting it on hold.

JulianImp

The thing that bothered me the most about that episode is that all it took to get him back from a borderline-murdering bender is to eat a fucking omelette.

Correction, a fucking omelette made with an overly sweet sauce that he had long ago stopped liking. Can't you see how it was a metaphor for his lovely imouto?

俺の妹はこんなに死んだわけがない

ibyea

Banned
I blame my selective memory. At least the emotive scenes managed to get me more than Charlotte and its crappy imouto setup.

Slapstick comedy is okay in small doses (mostly depending on the show's tone and theme), but I absolutely loathe when it's used as a diabolus ex machina in order to difuse just about any situation that could lead to actual plot development.

At least other overdone generic anime tropes such as characters going PWAAAH!" after drinking a beer aren't used for the sake of derailing non-comedic situations at will, which is why I kind of tolerate them even if I whince a bit whenever such scenes show up in things I'm watching.

Don't get me wrong though, I think it is overall a good show. But yeah I dislike those tropes.

I really think parts of this are due to the fact that they tried to cram in two or three episodes worth of material and character reflection into one episode.

And seeing what they do with the next episode just makes that even more jarring.

I blame my selective memory. At least the emotive scenes managed to get me more than Charlotte and its crappy imouto setup.

Slapstick comedy is okay in small doses (mostly depending on the show's tone and theme), but I absolutely loathe when it's used as a diabolus ex machina in order to difuse just about any situation that could lead to actual plot development.

At least other overdone generic anime tropes such as characters going PWAAAH!" after drinking a beer aren't used for the sake of derailing non-comedic situations at will, which is why I kind of tolerate them even if I whince a bit whenever such scenes show up in things I'm watching.
But KimiUso is one of the most guilty when it comes to this. It has some of the worst use of slapslick comedy in a show that is attempting to be a drama. It defuses situations by having one supposedly sympathetic character beat another bloody time after time. Even beyond the mood whiplash, it actively worked against the character development the show was doing.

ibyea

Banned
But KimiUso is one of the most guilty when it comes to this. It has some of the worst use of slapslick comedy in a show that is attempting to be a drama. It defuses situations by having one supposedly sympathetic character beat another bloody time after time. Even beyond the mood whiplast, it actively worked against the character development the show was doing.

Exactly. It was extremely jarring and it was weird seeing the slapstick while having the serious physical abuse part going on.

Lupin III will win, I have little doubt. It's a franchise popular enough to attract the attention of a large audience, including people who don't watch much anime, it airs at the end of the year and continues into the next, thus being fresh on everyone's mind, and it's aimed for mainstream appeal with little niche elements that would turn people off. Plus it's likely to be good, which does help.

I don't know. I'm hopeful that it will be good, and I'm sure it will get some consideration, but I think you're overestimating Lupin's popularity in the English speaking market. It's relatively well known, but it's never been the most popular series over here. Maybe if this was an Italian or French forum it would be different.

I expect it do well, but unless it winds up being one of the best anime in years, I have a very hard time seeing it beat out Shirobako or Jojo.

I really must finish Yurikuma (stalled at episode 3? I think?). Then I'll have finished SOMETHING this year. Aiming to get that and Death Parade watched at least.

You definitely should do that. It's a completely different (and much better) show from Episode 4 on, and Ikuhara really gets everything to come together.

JulianImp

But KimiUso is one of the most guilty when it comes to this. It has some of the worst use of slapslick comedy in a show that is attempting to be a drama. It defuses situations by having one supposedly sympathetic character beat another bloody time after time. Even beyond the mood whiplast, it actively worked against the character development the show was doing.

I guess I forgot about the slapstick for the same reason I believed I had seen the show last year... everything except for the decent drama events, such as when Arima finally got back into playing thanks to the girl or the concert where Arima finally managed to understand his late mother's feelings.

Defuser

Charlotte-7

Now this is bullshit. I can understand her following him if this had been going on for a couple of days but instead we're talking weeks. She's been following him for weeks and only steps in now?
If you ask me if she has no problems beating up Yuu when he was a scumbag in the first episode or beating those people going after Yusarin then she probably have no problems of Yuu going stab the eye of delinquent gangster leader lol. Not to mention she nearly kill glasses guy by kicking him through a window few stories down even if playing out as a comedic means.

Symphogear GX 09

So is everyone's dad just an ass in this? Or grandfather in this case. Christ that is some wicked NTR.

So now we have PSYCHOLOGICAL WEAPONRY. And it can destroy anything that is a sword, literally and metaphorically? Wow that is both really dumb and extremely convenient because there just so happens to be a character with blue hair who never shuts up about swords. What's next, guns and fists?

When Tsubasa made a huge sword (SEE?) then Rider Kicked the sword's hilt I had to pause because I was laughing too hard

Cliffhangear 09

Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

That fucking ending. I have no words. You bastards. HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS?

Bad bad. They basically changed everyone for the worse.
-No
mother's death
in the beginning.
-Mikasa isn't Eren's adopted sister, but instead just a friend.
-There's a love triangle between Eren-Mikasa-some new character.
-Levi doesn't exist.

Yikes, that sounds terrible. I don't know why they would drastically alter the source material like that.

Soma 21

FUCKING LOL at why he was asleep. I legit had to pause the video lmfao. I should have seen that coming. Some good reactions, specially for the black looking dish. Also... "HWAAOOOOOO" had me bawling.

The Aldini brothers, Alice and Tadokoro seem to be up next week. I'm guessing that with the few episodes that we have left we are going to see everyone's dish, and wrap up with whoever wins this thing.

At this point I'm pretty sure the writers of Symphogear just don't give a fuck anymore and are doing crazy shit that would be impossible to predict because it's hilarious

I know right? That's a show based off a classic Tezuka manga!

I loved that show. Even with its silly logic here and there I loved it. Let me reiterate:
Sorry but the show gave too much screen time to that annoying girl and the dog and their super wacky adventures. If it solely focused on blackjack it'd be great but with her? Drop that zero and get yourself a hero

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Symphogear GX Episode 9:

You know somebody needs to tell this season that power ups are supposed to help the heroes; seriously the constant jobbing of the team this year has gotten old and tiresome and I am tried of their motivational speeches.
Oh, joy, Dr. Ver has shown up again to give us our cliffhanger of the week.

Ascheroth

Soma - 21

I guess I sound like a broken record at this point, but this was yet again a great episode.
Soma has balls of steel, Megumi shuts up all those nameless scrubs with her skill, Hisako shows Sadatsuka who's the boss. Next up: the Aldini brothers.
I lost it at the ending change.

kewlmyc

Ushio and Tora 09

The message was kinda hammy, but at least it's refreshing to see "you can't save everyone" show up in shounen series. It would have made the episode worse if the renegade youkai decided to become good again because humans helped save his siblings and Ushio gave him empty promises.

GATE 09

Looks like were almost in full harem territory now. Risa and Itami's reason for getting married seems baffling simple, but their reason for divorcing is even stranger. She was shocked that he didn't noticed she cared about him when their marriage was only a financial one? As for the rest of the episode, it was okay. The fanservice wasn't as prevalent as I thought it would have been, and the "cliffhanger" is barely a cliffhanger since you know he's not going to tap that. Well, actually this anime's been breaking so many of the typical anime harem tropes that he might tap it. Who knows. Also lol at the Fate/Stay Night references. Guess everyone at the JSDF are nerds.

Soma - 21

Amazing. Appreciated the ED change.

Prison School - 8

Mediocre. 'twas rather rushed and feels disjointed for it. They did have to speed something up, though, in order to finish the show after the first arc.

The censorship is really intrusive and while I hardly even mind it so far, it'll suck for a certain upcoming scene :/

Finally the content of the episodes should become good at least.

ibyea

Banned
Space Battleship Yamato 2199: 15-16
So they get lucky and survive by the skin of their teeth. Episode 14 was great in terms of tense action.

Episode 15 they land on a habitable planet for resources, and some big twists happen that you can see coming if you had paid attention.
There is a coup by the security officer and people who think they should turn back to tell Earth to settle on the planet they are on. It is revealed Mori is that alien sent to Earth a year ago. They are saved due to Yamamoto going all Die Hard and there being a mole within the moles.

ibyea

Banned
Space Battleship Yamato: 18
Yamato versus 10000 ships in an attempt to get through those warp gates, epic. Episodes ends in a lovely view of the Magellanic Cloud.

Gintama 274

wow I actually can't believe that Otae became one of the Four Devas. I was joking...

The parts about chins were really weird and terrible though, dunno what they were thinking

John Blade

did u lyk dis if u cry evertim?
I am on Episode 26 right now (half way point). I guess they is some emotional scene from the beginning to now but didn't watch the last 4 episodes of the OVA. Hope that get better as I am liking the show all from the beginning to now.

...are you actually watching the recaps...
Nope, based from the AnimeGaf people here, I skip it and go direct to where I suppose to be.

Soma ep 21

I don´t think there´s a single show out there right now that handles flashbacks better than Shokugeki no Soma, every single one of them across the series has been great, and today was no exception. That short story about Tadokoro was pretty sweet, and that clash at the end between Hisako and Neo was awesome as well.

And that preview...
So good.

Ascheroth

Symphogear GX - 09

Is this awful fathers - the season? Welp, at least one got redeemed.
The writers have to be winging this at this point, it's amazing how much stuff they are pulling out of their ass. It's glorious.
My personal highlight this episode was Wind girls Sword Breaker. I absolutely love powers based around abstract concepts, although it was awfully convenient for her to be fighting against Tsubasa. I'd also like to think the resolution to this fight was brilliant use of wordplay (since Tsubasa literally means wing) and metaphoric interpretation of her character development, but no matter how hard I try to convince myself, it still felt pretty dumb in the end, lol.
And now everyones favorite
Dr. Ver
enters the scene. And I've yet again no idea what the hell is going to happen next. And as it seems, neither does Carol anymore. Nor do the writers themself, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom