• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean, like this place:

stzbNev.jpg
Excellent last post. Anime is trash.

Now close this thread TUSR, sweep us away.

duckroll

perhaps a legacy of Prussian influence over meiji era education and social reform than anything strictly war related (though obviously that they were part of the war I bet influences a lot of counter-cultural otaku subculture)

war/battleship/tank otaku etc fascinate me because I feel like a lot of the military/gun otaku that I see represented are almost apolitical generally speaking. of course being apolitical is itself a political decision but there seems to be a lot less overt ultranationlists who are also military otaku. people who are, like, tank otaku or hwatever are like... purists. it's all about being the best technical specs or performance or being good at being a tank, and never about the aims behind actually having a tank

of course i say this as someone who can't easily read japanese forum threads, so what do i know

What's the difference between a tank otaku who claims to be apolitical and doesn't want to engage in any sort of discussion about the social context of military weaponry because it might make their hobby uncomfortable, and a waifu otaku who doesn't want to be a SJW because talking about the social context of sexualization and female representation in entertainment in general makes their hobby uncomfortable?

I don't think military otaku who claim to be apolitical are purists, I think they tend to be deflectors who are insecure about their hobby and feel threatened by people might have something negative to say about something they are superficially interested in. Military and history buffs who really have respect and deep interest in the subject don't shy away from the historical nature of things they might be fascinated with. You can appreciate the technical power of a weapon of war without ignoring the reality of its nature. Embracing the negative aspects of history is a good way to have a balanced understanding of something you are interested in.

What's the difference between a tank otaku who claims to be apolitical and doesn't want to engage in any sort of discussion about the social context of military weaponry because it might make their hobby uncomfortable, and a waifu otaku who doesn't want to be a SJW because talking about the social context of sexualization and female representation in entertainment in general makes their hobby uncomfortable?

I don't think military otaku who claim to be apolitical are purists, I think they tend to be deflectors who are insecure about their hobby and feel threatened by people might have something negative to say about something they are superficially interested in. Military and history buffs who really have respect and deep interest in the subject don't shy away from the historical nature of things they might be fascinated with. You can appreciate the technical power of a weapon of war without ignoring the reality of its nature. Embracing the negative aspects of history is a good way to have a balanced understanding of something you are interested in.
This quote should appear right before the loli Hitler appearance in the show. "embracing the negative aspects of history is a good way to have a balanced understanding of something you're interested in"

*loli Hitler makes cute pose*

Jintor

What's the difference between a tank otaku who claims to be apolitical and doesn't want to engage in any sort of discussion about the social context of military weaponry because it might make their hobby uncomfortable, and a waifu otaku who doesn't want to be a skeleton because talking about the social context of sexualization and female representation in entertainment in general makes their hobby uncomfortable?

well, i'm basically conflating the terms of 'purist' and 'doesn't want to talk about the glaring problems with my hobby'

zulux21

OVA's bundled with the BD are practically always hot spring episodes. Funny thing is that we actually already had a hot springs episode too :lol

I still hold out hope that they won't be as I would like...
you know..
something actually watchable as a side story :/

SOLDIER

I'm sad now... I was told I was getting a Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? OVA not a Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Hot Spring? ova :(

trailer for the ova

ANN article about how it is in a hot spring

It kind of looks like it won't entirely be centered around hot springs: they do show action sequences as well.

Donmachi has to be one of the biggest anime surprises for me in recent memory: I typically hate harem shows that try to push the ecchi boundaries, but not only did this series manage to restrain itself for the most part (even the full title is misleading, as the main character isn't some sort of woman-hungry pervert like you would imagine), it had some really likeable characters that weren't all one-note tropes. Hestia in particular was a joy to watch, as a character who knew what she had going on but was fully confident and had loads of amusing expressions, but also knew when to get serious (including one particularly bad-ass sequence). The main character was also pretty great too, as someone who had to earn a lot of his victories instead of having it laid out for him like Kirito.

Hoping for another season soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom