• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive in next months EDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
This must have been signed before Fuse bombed.

I still think it was EA that is responsible for FUSE. Remember Overstrike. FUSE isn't like it at all. I'm willing to bet EA forced them to go a "safer" route.

Thus, after having gotten screwed over with EA, Insomniac shopped around for a developer who would let them flex their creative muscles. Microsoft said "Hey, that's a really cool idea, and it looks like a GREAT way to show off our new constant-update achievement/content/etc. cloud thing. We'll fund your game. Do what you want!"

Thus they signed a deal. From what we know, it seems like the most likely scenario to me.

I still think it was EA that is responsible for FUSE. Remember Overstrike. FUSE isn't like it at all. I'm willing to bet EA forced them to go a "safer" route.

Thus, after having gotten screwed over with EA, Insomniac shopped around for a developer who would let them flex their creative muscles. Microsoft said "Hey, that's a really cool idea, and it looks like a GREAT way to show off our new constant-update achievement/content/etc. cloud thing. We'll fund your game. Do what you want!"

Thus they signed a deal. From what we know, it seems like the most likely scenario to me.

Let's not pretend Overstrike was ever safe.

Even if it looked way more interesting, it was by no means safe.

StuBurns

Banned

I don't believe that at all. EA Partners lets people ship commercially untenable projects all the time, look at Shadows of the Damned, a bizarre five hour shooter with zero replayability. And it's EA who got fucked presumably, because they paid, and the game bombed.

Chettlar

Banned
Let's not pretend Overstrike was ever safe.

Even if it looked way more interesting, it was by no means safe.

I never said either way. I was just saying that FUSE was "safe" by conventional standards. Unfortunately, it was so safe, it was unoriginal, and bombed.

I don't believe that at all. EA Partners lets people ship commercially untenable projects all the time, look at Shadows of the Damned, a bizarre five hour shooter with zero replayability. And it's EA who got fucked presumably, because they paid, and the game bombed.

I don't know that SotD is really the same deffinition. Looks very "cool" and "dark" and "brooding" which is generally what sells well, even if when played it is that five hour shooter with zero replayability.

Overstrike wasn't dark and brooding and dudebro and epic etc. like most well-selling games out there. It actually looked relatively light-hearted and silly. And I think that's what got it canned/translated.

hawk2025

I think I'll say it again:

Am I the only one that loved Fuse?

It had its issues, but the co-op design was masterful and the gameplay is so much fun. I had a great time with it.

TrueGrime

I have no idea where the hype comes from either. To each their own I suppose.

no-hype.png

Getting hyped over the concept of a game isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Vire

Have there been that many studios that returned to former glory after releasing a bonafide stinker?

uhmg9R5.png

I'm trying to think of some...

I remain cautiously optimistic for this since I like the parkour concept.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Are people actually expecting this to be good? All we've seen so far is art, which was nice, but so was FUSE when we first saw it, and we all know how that turned out.

Well, I like to look at their entire catalog of titles instead of just one game and their history leads me to believe that they're more than capable.

Am I a little wary after FUSE? Sure. At the same time, I'm also optimistic. I'm looking forward to what EDGE has to show next month.

Sobriquet

• Upfront they hit a lot of concerns like the stylization in particular. They really wanted to make a stylizated game and saw that a lot of publishers get cold with that kind of thing. Insomniac stayed with that vision and Microsoft gave a big thumbs up. Insomniac owns the IP and is glad that Microsoft supports that.

Does this hint that EA was behind Overstrike's change in direction? Hmmm...

Is this what I think it is? Are you slighting Oni? I'm coming for you.

To be fair, Brian Allgeier was the director of Fuse (his expertise was mainly in cartoony platformers and I think he was way out of his element with Fuse) and Marcus Smith (director of Resistance 3) is the creative director of Sunset Overdrive

did you miss those responses on the first page?
Nope. Of course some people are going to be hyped. But it's not an inexplicably large number of people. Even indie games from devs with no prior accolades get some measure of hype on GAF. I personally don't see the current hype for SO as being abnormally high.

pr0cs

Unfortunately I think this is going to be the reality for most XB1 exclusive game threads, unless the mods step in and put a stop to it.

When you have idiotic comments like people calling Insomniac 'traitors' you can pretty much bet their game threads are going to be shit-shows.

Chettlar

Banned
Is this what I think it is? Are you slighting Oni? I'm coming for you.

Compared to Halo, Oni is utter crap. Not bad, but not good either.

FUSE was actually really good, especially in co-op. I'd say this is pretty comparable. That doesn't mean that Sunset Overdrive is definitely going to be great, but it does mean their precedence and you can't just write them off.

Oh, and look at another example: Double Helix. I don't believe I need to explain that.

Bsigg12

Nope. Of course some people are going to be hyped. But it's not an inexplicably large number of people. Even indie games from devs with no prior accolades get some measure of hype on GAF. I personally don't see the current hype for SO as being abnormally high.

We haven't seen the game beyond a reveal trailer. Until we see some in game footage hype will be in check because no one knows if they can pull off what they revealed yet.

besada

Banned
Hi, this thread is a mess. I could do what I did last time, which is ban a dozen or so people. I have their posts lined up in tabs right how. Instead, I'm going to tell you what we expect from threads like these -- threads about exclusive console games.

We expect you to post something of even minor utility. It's fine if you want to discuss what you like or don't like about a game. It's fine if you wonder if it's going to live up to expectations.

What's not fine is posting "Game looks like ass," as the totality of your comment. We expect more than that of you. Have something to say, or don't post.
It's also not fine to come in and whine about the game not being on your console. You know port begging is bannable. Saying, "I wish this was on my console," meets that definition to me, as it always leads to a response that always leads to list war style derails. Don't do it.
Another thing that isn't fine is the hyper-defensiveness of whichever "team" actually has the exclusive. If someone says they don't like the game, the correct response does not involve suggesting they're just saying it to be a console warrior. This has to stop, too.

Talk about the game. If there's nothing to talk about, quit posting and let the thread fall to its doom. Do not use it as a convenient space to grind axes and shit on each other.

I'm going to treat this thread -- up to this point -- as a learning experience. A whole bunch of people, on all sides of the aisle, are getting a reprieve. But if I see this behavior continue, here or in other threads, I will hand out the bans hot and heavy, and they won't be gentle little two weekers.

As always, if you'd like to discuss this or any other moderation policy, PM a mod.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/knack

People were hyped for this, does this mean no hope for SCE Japan?

SCE Japan has many divisions, Insomniac has only three (Insomniac Click, Insomniac North and Insomniac Burbank)

Insomniac Burbank made Fuse. Whereas the same team that made Knack is not the same team that made Puppeteer. It's more or less the direction of those games that I place the blame on (and I loved Knack)

StuBurns

Banned
SCE Japan has many divisions, Insomniac has only three (Insomniac Click, Insomniac North and Insomniac Burbank)

Insomniac Burbank made Fuse. Whereas the same team that made Knack is not the same team that made Puppeteer. It's more or less the direction of those games that I place the blame on (and I loved Knack)
Insomniac have teams too.

Regardless, just because a team has made a bad game, doesn't mean they won't make a good one, and vice versa.

Vire

Compared to Halo, Oni is utter crap. Not bad, but not good either.

FUSE was actually really good, especially in co-op. I'd say this is pretty comparable. That doesn't mean that Sunset Overdrive is definitely going to be great, but it does mean their precedence and you can't just write them off.

Oh, and look at another example: Double Helix. I don't believe I need to explain that.

Double Helix is an interesting example, while they certainly improved dramatically when they were given the freedom to work on something other than licensed trash, they weren't exactly "returning to former glory".

Insomniac was once a great studio, but has recently fallen on harder times. Here's hoping they get their mojo back with this game. I kinda hated Resistance 3 though aside from Olly Moss's beautiful cover.

B.O.O.M

They have their hits and misses and people are hoping this is a hit. They are certainly capable.

However I do need to see wtf the game is like first lol the trailer looked interesting at least

Insomniac have teams too.

Regardless, just because a team has made a bad game, doesn't mean they won't make a good one, and vice versa.

Yes, this I know. Sunset Overdrive probably had a very small team laying the groundwork while Fuse was being polished up and when Fuse shipped the entirety of the Burbank studio went on to Sunset Overdrive.

Insomniac is a great studio and knowing Marcus Smith is the creative lead gives me hope since Resistance 3 was fantastic (still don't understand why some people do not like that game).

Same can be said for whatever team at Studio Japan is working with Gavin Moore as the creative lead.

Yes, this I know. Sunset Overdrive probably had a very small team laying the groundwork while Fuse was being polished up and when Fuse shipped the entirety of the Burbank studio went on to Sunset Overdrive.

Insomniac is a great studio and knowing Marcus Smith is the creative lead gives me hope since Resistance 3 was fantastic (still don't understand why some people do not like that game).

Same can be said for whatever team at Studio Japan is working with Gavin Moore as the creative lead.

I don't really know what it was, but I wasn't a fan of any of the Resistance games. Not a single one, but I loved the Ratchet games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I read from people that they hated how it's a straight Half-Life 2 rip-off and that you shouldn't do that.

We haven't seen the game beyond a reveal trailer. Until we see some in game footage hype will be in check because no one knows if they can pull off what they revealed yet.
That's exactly what I said in my original post. We hardly know/seen anything about this game to warrant much hype. That won't stop a few people from being hyped anyway from the little we know, but they don't comprise such large number of gamers that should make anyone wonder, "Where's all this hype coming from?" The hype (or lack thereof) is actually rather tame right now, and as you said, that's understandable since we know little about the game. And it seems like Edge will be our first chance to learn more about it since the E3 reveal.

Doffen

Must say that I'm really interested in reading that issue.
Hopefully we might also get a trailer/gameplay video during May.

Speaking for myself, I did not like Resistance 3, because it still did not deliver a true sequel to Fall of Man.

Story-wise, carrying anything from Resistance 2 was a mistake. The two things that make it less enjoyable to me, are the change from Menials to Grims, and going from London to the US. Just crap, focus testing influenced decisions. Design wise it still wasn't nearly as good as FoM either. Just in terms of sheer variety, FoM offered a larger quantity and more varied weapons. It had very good vehicle sections. It had platforming elements. It had an array of interesting enemies with cool tactics. And awesome level design to compliment it all.

I imagine it'd be a great game to go back to, and I may just do that.

Anyway, I don't have tons of faith that Insomniac is any more 'with it' nowadays. They really want to please, but none of their past couple of games have really offered any passion. And hearing Ted Price talk about 'updates to support social commentary and internet memes' just screams that they still have no idea who their audience, or if there's any audience left.

Maybe if we're publishers and you're pitching SO to us, say that. But otherwise, don't talk about 'memes' like they are a feature of your game.

Silky

Banned
Have there been that many studios that returned to former glory after releasing a bonafide stinker?

uhmg9R5.png

I'm trying to think of some...

Yakuza Team (Yakuza: Dead Souls), Gearbox (Aliens: CM), Ubi Montreal (Assassin's Creed), Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword), Sony Santa Monica (PSABR), United Front Games (LBP Karting), Naughty Dog (Uncharted 3), Bungie (Oni), Capcom (MULTIPLE TIMES), SNK Playmore (KOFXII), Square Enix (MULTIPLE TIMES)

People make mistakes. Developers make mistakes. As much as I loved Fuse, I can accept FUSE as a blip. Will that deterr me from Overdrive? FUCK No.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Speaking for myself, I did not like Resistance 3, because it still did not deliver a true sequel to Fall of Man.

Story-wise, carrying anything from Resistance 2 was a mistake. The two things that make it less enjoyable to me, are the change from Menials to Grims, and going from London to the US. Just crap, focus testing influenced decisions. Design wise it still wasn't nearly as good as FoM either. Just in terms of sheer variety, FoM offered a larger quantity and more varied weapons. It had very good vehicle sections. It had platforming elements. It had an array of interesting enemies with cool tactics. And awesome level design to compliment it all.

I imagine it'd be a great game to go back to, and I may just do that.

Anyway, I don't have tons of faith that Insomniac is any more 'with it' nowadays. They really want to please, but none of their past couple of games have really offered any passion. And hearing Ted Price talk about 'updates to support social commentary and internet memes' just screams that they still have no idea who their audience, or if there's any audience left.

Maybe if we're publishers and you're pitching SO to us, say that. But otherwise, don't talk about 'memes' like they are a feature of your game.

eh, memes was just a way of saying we could rapidly respond to something that's still "relevant."

memes are not the focus of the game or the updates really at all (the social commentary, consumerism etc still plays a big role across the board).

but anyways, more soon.

McLovin

FUS...
Let the games begin.

In before FUSE is mentioned.
Dammit!

I'm actually pumped for this, even though I don't have an x1. I kind of want one for Titanfall, but MS still doesn't have enough games to get me to trust them again. If this is another must have I might just jump in.

I can honestly say this game is a rare one for me, in that I have a pretty high level of hype based on one CG trailer, and it's purely for what this game COULD turn out to be.

On the other hand, I also have the realist side of me that is fully aware that Insomniac doesn't have a spotless record, and I'm kinda terrified of the first gameplay reveal, as it's going to be that make or break moment, where you instinctively know if it looks like it's fun, or it doesn't.

I genuinely like the people of Insomniac (the public faces), so I want to see them do well. I really hope this game lives up to the hype that CG trailer has generated, for their sake, as well as the gamers getting something new and awesome.

Bsigg12

That's exactly what I said in my original post. We hardly know/seen anything about this game to warrant much hype. That won't stop a few people from being hyped anyway from the little we know, but they don't comprise such large number of gamers that should make anyone wonder, "Where's all this hype coming from?" The hype (or lack thereof) is actually rather tame right now, and as you said, that's understandable since we know little about the game. And it seems like Edge will be our first chance to learn more about it since the E3 reveal.

Oh my bad. I was just looking at your reply. Don't mean to make this talk go in circles more than we already are.

eh, memes was just a way of saying we could rapidly respond to something that's still "relevant."

memes are not the focus of the game or the updates really at all (the social commentary, consumerism etc still plays a big role across the board).

but anyways, more soon.

Yeah, there's probably a myriad things you want to say to refute what I'm saying, but can't just yet. I am sure the game will speak for itself when we see it. I want to apologise for sounding like an ass, but it's not like I didn't buy your games or love some of them (or draw tons of fanart for Fom). I just don't know where you guys went to, or what changed.

Anyyyywaaayys, negative nancy here. Good luck and I will be paying close attention, James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom