• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT2| We Promise Nothing and Deliver Less

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to play Demon's Souls because I saw a thread about the NPCs being awesome and I was like "yeah they are" so I started up a new playfile and did 3 hours on it. Miralda would be my Souls waifu if it wasn't for the fact the
the only thing she does is fall you a traitor and try to kill you.
So Ymir my beautiful character is running around with a bastard sword+4 in Miralda's amour (because Fashion Souls). I beat Tower Knight, I love the entire setting for that boss. Giant knight and lots of crossbows. Tried to beat Armored Spider but I'm shit and that thing has really high defence and I'm rusty as fuck at Demon's.
I remembered how awesome Demon's was and reaffirmed my love for it. My favourite Souls game and probably my favourite game of the last generation.

I just wanted to get a post in before the new OT ;~;
My man, Demon's Souls is best Souls.

I went to play Demon's Souls because I saw a thread about the NPCs being awesome and I was like "yeah they are" so I started up a new playfile and did 3 hours on it. Miralda would be my Souls waifu if it wasn't for the fact the
the only thing she does is fall you a traitor and try to kill you.
So Ymir my beautiful character is running around with a bastard sword+4 in Miralda's amour (because Fashion Souls). I beat Tower Knight, I love the entire setting for that boss. Giant knight and lots of crossbows. Tried to beat Armored Spider but I'm shit and that thing has really high defence and I'm rusty as fuck at Demon's.
I remembered how awesome Demon's was and reaffirmed my love for it. My favourite Souls game and probably my favourite game of the last generation.

I just wanted to get a post in before the new OT ;~;

You can lame Armor Spider out hardcore.
Just walk to the left side of the passage and shoot it with your bow without advancing. The only thing it can hit you with is web spooge, which does laughable damage.

As people have said already, play Demon's first. You'll be getting the best level ever in the series, fantastic characters and atmosphere, bosses, and proper fucking counter hits.

Do it.

You can lame Armor Spider out hardcore.
Just walk to the left side of the passage and shoot it with your bow without advancing. The only thing it can hit you with is web spooge, which does laughable damage.
I remember how Demon's had a ton exploits on bosses.
Most of the time it was just a spot where the boss can't hit you but you could lame it out like X Tekken
. My personal favourite is Maneater's where you can kill the first one without ever needing to enter the room.
Just shoot arrows through the fog gate.

Edit: whoops didn't mean to make this a separate post...

Isn't Demon's Souls in the NA PSN sale currently? I think Sony carried over that flash sale for an extra day.

I don't want to start discussing other communities in here, but a lot of people in PersonaGAF like P4A. They even had an online tournament for it.

I don't go into personagaf too often. But the few times I do and it's brought up, it doesn't really seem to get too much respect.

I hope he means Tower of Latria. Because nothing in Dark Souls compares.

Never quite got the Tower of Latria Hype... not even my favorite level in Demons. [I like world 1 in it's entirety]

Sen's Fortress is my favorite Souls level. So damn hype!

I don't go into personagaf too often. But the few times I do and it's brought up, it doesn't really seem to get too much respect.

Were they talking about the story mode? If so then I agree completely. That shit was terrible. Pretty sure they like P4A as a fighting game though. Otherwise I don't know why they would play it all the time.

I really don't see how the differences between Demon's and Dark make it that hard to go back. Yeah the timing window on parries is tighter and the penalties for dying are more severe, but it's not THAT difficult to go through.

Hell, going from Dark to Demon's, I thought it felt better.

I really don't see how the differences between Demon's and Dark make it that hard to go back. Yeah the timing window on parries is tighter and the penalties for dying are more severe, but it's not THAT difficult to go through.

Level design (choosing a level to play) and using grass instead of Estus for me. I can't believe dark 2 brought back limited healing.

The differences in moving, rolling and attacking along with the changes to healing, spells, etc will be jarring for some people. It was hard for me to get accustomed to the differences going from Demon's to Dark.

croten

I wasn't a big fan of Demon's. I did play it first but I got past the Armoured Spider and never really played it after that, I just got bored. I wasn't a fan of the level structure. Not that I think it's bad or anything I just much prefer Dark Souls'.

Inb4 Git gud

Also I agree with Mara and still say that Demons is better than Dark 2.

Were they talking about the story mode? If so then I agree completely. That shit was terrible. Pretty sure they like P4A as a fighting game though. Otherwise I don't know why they would play it all the time.

I think it should have impressed anyone with realistic expectations, personally. Fighting games have terrible stories, it's a fact.

But to be more specific, I remember some people lumping it in with Dancing and Q as Atlus' shameless cash ins... And also there was a thread in which the SMT games were being ranked, and nobody even mentioned P4A.

croten

I think should have impressed anyone with realistic expectations, personally.

But to be more specific, I remember someone lumping it in with Dancing and Q as Atlus' shameless cash ins... And also there was a thread in which the SMT games were being ranked, and nobody even mentioned P4A.

P4A isn't technically a SMT game though

The differences in moving, rolling and attacking along with the changes to healing, spells, etc will be jarring for some people.
Yeah this. Also earlier I forgot that in Demon's you don't have a plunging attack or jumping. For some reason for a split second I thought I could jump and stab the Tower Knight's head...
I for one welcome back the glorious counter hits of Demon's Souls.

But to be more specific, I remember some people lumping it in with Dancing and Q as Atlus' shameless cash ins...
Actually something that irritates me is people disregarding Persona Q because it is
well it kinda won't be?
being canon. I'm just excited for the Etrian gameplay
which people are entitled not to like
, and character interactions. Kanji hugging Koromaru in the opening physically warms my heart.

Basically fuck people not liking what I like ;-;

random thing I saw
yWNjNZX.jpg

Siegcram

I wasn't a big fan of Demon's. I did play it first but I got past the Armoured Spider and never really played it after that, I just got bored. I wasn't a fan of the level structure. Not that I think it's bad or anything I just much prefer Dark Souls'.
I think the big difference from Demon's to Dark is that Demon's is a pretty bad game to go into completely blind. Mechanics like Character/World tendency or NPCs like Yurt can completely fuck you over while you have no idea why or what is happening. And it just feels a bit archaic.

Dark Souls on the other hand is an amazing experience for complete noobs to the series and veterans alike. It's just a much more cohesive world and the mechanics are more polished, yet retain the challenge.

I think should have impressed anyone with realistic expectations, personally.

But to be more specific, I remember someone lumping it in with Dancing and Q as Atlus' shameless cash ins... And also there was a thread in which the SMT games were being ranked, and nobody even mentioned P4A.

I don't see how it would have impressed anybody. The story was weak compared to mainline series and if you don't like fighting games then it would have nothing to offer besides fan service.

Also, why would anyone mention P4A in a MegaTen ranking? Its a spinoff game.

Yeah this. Also earlier I forgot that in Demon's you don't have a plunging attack or jumping. For some reason for a split second I thought I could jump and stab the Tower Knight's head...
I for one welcome back the glorious counter hits of Demon's Souls.
Hell yeah you do. It can mean the difference between life and death.

Also sprinting feels so much faster and better in Demon's Souls. Even with less than 25% equip load in Dark, the sprint felt about as fast +50% equip load in Demon's. Absolutely pathetic.

I think the big difference from Demon's to Dark is that Demon's is a pretty bad game to go into completely blind. Mechanics like Character/World tendency or NPCs like Yurt can completely fuck you over while you have no idea why or what is happening. And it just feels a bit archaic.

Dark Souls on the other hand is an amazing experience for complete noobs to the series and veterans alike. It's just a much more cohesive world and the mechanics are more polished, yet retain the challenge.
But Yurt is amazing because of that
I mean if you knew it was him killing people in the Nexus then instinctively a lot of people would just straight up kill him
World and character tendency on the other hand? Eh I can agree that is super not user friendly. Tendency events based around the system though are really neat. But it is a pain to change the tendencies.

You guys are correct, but again, considering it's a fighting game, its still above averagely written. Terrible overall (excluding Labrys), but people shouldn't have had high expectations of it in the first place.

Have you guys tried out Street Fighter IV's story?
Or any SF story for that matter? Or DOA? SC? You name it.
Making it canon to a series with pretty great writing is what rustles the jimmies I think.

croten

You guys are correct, but again, considering it's a fighting game, its still above averagely written. Terrible overall (excluding Labrys), but people shouldn't have had high expectations of it in the first place.

Wait... SF IV had a story?
jk

Siegcram

But Yurt is amazing because of that
I mean if you knew it was him killing people in the Nexus then instinctively a lot of people would just straight up kill him
World and character tendency on the other hand? Eh I can agree that is super not user friendly. Tendency events based around the system though are really neat. But it is a pain to change the tendencies.
It's a great system and I would love for it to come back, but for new players it is absolutely dreadful. A few of my friends didn't listen to my recommendations for a while after that.

I remember how Demon's had a ton exploits on bosses.
Most of the time it was just a spot where the boss can't hit you but you could lame it out like X Tekken
. My personal favourite is Maneater's where you can kill the first one without ever needing to enter the room.
Just shoot arrows through the fog gate.

Edit: whoops didn't mean to make this a separate post...

Isn't Demon's Souls in the NA PSN sale currently? I think Sony carried over that flash sale for an extra day.
Is today the last day its gonna be 10 bucks?

Other fighting games having terrible stories is not an excuse for P4A's subpar story.

World/Character Tendency is indeed an obtuse mechanic at first, but I'd take that over covenants as once you understand how tendency works, using it to your advantage feels so good and nets you some good rewards, especially when World Tendency is Pure Black and you're going after the named BPs. It certainly fits with the MO of other From Soft games that punish you for fucking up and not giving you an easy way out (try working your way out of debt in Armored Core and see how that feels).

360pages

BB/ MK and P4A are the only Fighting games that actually give a crap about their story, (Even if you don't like them you can tell effort was put into making them,)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom