• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R - 30 FPS, online details

So 1080p in both modes, or 1080p for the TV and 720p in handheld? It's worded a bit odd...

I'm assuming 1080p when docked, 720p when in handheld. That's the max for both modes. I doubt it'll render in 1080p and downsample to 720p in handheld as that would use up more battery.

Eolz

Running only 30fps instead of 60 is fucking ridiculous. There's no excuse for it.

Unity.

More seriously, probably something done quickly with an art choice that couldn't let them do 60fps locked. Unlocked would have been worse.

Vitacat

It's ridiculous that it's 2017 and they can't even get the co-op to be playable online.

The features and performance this game does not have makes it a little hard to swallow the $50 price. $30 and this would be insta-buy. I'm still considering it though, since GCU would make it $40 for me.

if it's a locked framerate then 30fps is absolutely fine, cmon now. I'll take a consistent 30 fps over some janky variable framerate any day of the week.

can't wait for friday, I'm ready to bomb some mofos online

Locked 30fps > Variable framerate agreed

I'll be there to play with you on Friday...online...in Bomberman...this is awkward.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm sure you're part of the dev team and know exactly why its not at 60...

Why dont you tell us why its not 60?

filament.gif

When an indie team of THREE PEOPLE can get their game running at 60fps in Unity, whats the excuse for Bomberman, a game backed by Nintendo and Konami?

Just hopping in to ask what seems to be a dumb question.

What would be the appeal of this being 60FPS vs 30? I understand the difference between the two and definitely appreciate it for fast-paced games, but I've never considered Bomberman to be fast paced. Is it just a visuals thing for you folks?

I get and enjoy the appeal behind 60FPS, but I guess I'm not someone who demands that every game hits that.

Crocodile tears over performance.

I have never played a game that I enjoyed and performance issues got in my way. I have never went from enjoying a game to not enjoying based on performance. Never happened. Not once. And I have played some of the worst performing games ever made. Shit on the Sega Saturn that ran at like 10 fps or less, that literally would turn into a powerpoint presentation in versus mode - Guardian Heroes. It was still my favorite game of all time for 20 years.

I bought the special edition of Ultima IX: Ascension - one of the buggiest games of all time. It sucked because it wasn't fun, not because it was buggy. People are playing buggy ass games all of the time, but since they enjoy them, you don't hear them bitching about it.

This constant bitching about performance for games that aren't released yet should be as ban worthy as port begging.

Here is the main point - targeting 60 FPS for a console hybrid brings nothing to a game that is not paced for 60 fps - it will only drain the battery faster. The pace of Bomberman provides nothing in 60 fps - It is already a slow game.

I have never played a game that I enjoyed and performance issues got in my way. I have never went from enjoying a game to not enjoying based on performance. Never happened. Not once. And I have played some of the worst performing games ever made. Shit on the Sega Saturn that ran at like 10 fps or less, that literally would turn into a powerpoint presentation in versus mode - Guardian Heroes. It was still my favorite game of all time for 20 years.

I bought the special edition of Ultima IX: Ascension - one of the buggiest games of all time. It sucked because it wasn't fun, not because it was buggy. People are playing buggy ass games all of the time, but since they enjoy them, you don't hear them bitching about it.

This constant bitching about performance for games that aren't released yet should be as ban worthy as port begging.

Good for you, man. Unlike you however, some of us expect maybe a little more from an AAA publisher.

Lets not act like 30fps for this game should be a-okay considering what other people have done with unity, and them being indy at that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yo what is this, it looks rad.

Assault Android Cactus.

If you like twin stick shooters you will LOVE it. One of the dev is a GAFer too.

ViolentP

Here is the main point - targeting 60 FPS for a console hybrid brings nothing to a game that is not paced for 60 fps - it will only drain the battery faster. The pace of Bomberman provides nothing in 60 fps - It is already a slow game.

Just because you are ok with playing games that perform terribly doesn't mean anyone else should be. Some of us prefer better performance to visuals. It's really just that simple. And be certain, that argument is just as strong as yours.

Assault Android Cactus.

If you like twin stick shooters you will LOVE it. One of the dev is a GAFer too.

Completely different game, with different requirements in terms of refresh rate and speed of play - Bomberman plays a lot slower and doesn't need the 60 fps refresh rate. Let's not derail the thread to promote another game.

30FPS was a given from what we've seen. Co op locally in 2017 though? Why even bother with local

I mean its a bummer, but whats wrong with local?
Completely different game, with different requirements in terms of refresh rate and speed of play - Bomberman plays a lot slower and doesn't need the 60 fps refresh rate. Let's not derail the thread to promote another game.

For you it doesn't NEED it.

EvB

Why dont you tell us why its not 60?

filament.gif

When an indie team of THREE PEOPLE can get their game running at 60fps in Unity, whats the excuse for Bomberman, a game backed by Nintendo and Konami?

Because the Switch is not as powerful as a PS4?

Spy

What would be the appeal of this being 60FPS vs 30? I understand the difference between the two and definitely appreciate it for fast-paced games, but I've never considered Bomberman to be fast paced. Is it just a visuals thing for you folks?

I get and enjoy the appeal behind 60FPS, but I guess I'm not someone who demands that every game hits that.
I find 30fps to be very jarring if it's a multiplayer game. That's a main reason I can't play Destiny any more.

Nibel

I'd love a new proper Bomberman game, but this shit right here looks so unfinished and low budget, almost like a ambitious fangame

A big Switch selling point is people playing locally together. It's a no-brainer a launch title would have this.

True

I mean its a bummer, but whats wrong with local?

For you it doesn't NEED it.

Well I mean in everywhere but Japan it's useless except to a very small percentage of people

I think local multiplayer should actually be more common. The lack of multiplayer coop however is a little confusing.

Yeah

Just because you are ok with playing games that perform terribly doesn't mean anyone else should be. Some of us prefer better performance to visuals. It's really just that simple. And be certain, that argument is just as strong as yours.

Seems like 30 FPS is a decent performance target. Who says it performs terribly?

Yeah but we're talking about a game that looks like this

superbomberman03-640x360-c.jpg

I'm in day 1 but if I had to guess this is Konami being lazy.

This exactly. This game is not pushing any boundaries whatsoever, and in many cases could pass as a PS2 game if it wasn't for the resolution. How can something like Mario Kart run 1080p60fps on Switch and not this?

Bronetta

Because the Switch is not as powerful as a PS4?

Bomberman isnt exactly pushing the the system graphically. Switch runs Mario Kart 8 at 60fps, surely they could have gotten Bomberman running at 60fps unless you mean to say the Switch isnt powerful enough to run Unity games at 60fps (which Im pretty sure it can)

I find 30fps to be very jarring if it's a multiplayer game. That's a main reason I can't play Destiny any more.

Makes sense! Personally I can tell the difference between the two, but it doesn't bother me in any real way. I guess it's just about preference and that's ok!

Kaibutsu

I'd love a new proper Bomberman game, but this shit right here looks so unfinished and low budget, almost like a ambitious fangame

Yeah the funny thing is how people are seemingly ignoring that everything about the game screams low budget and that there were tons of impressions and video from just a few weeks ago talking about/ showing the game running like crap and having horrible load times but whatever

Bingo. You get it. Bomberman is 30 fps because it would be a waste of resources to target 60 FPS for a game that doesn't need it for gameplay purposes. It's a slow-paced game, like you said and the developers probably want to conserve resources for the handheld aspect of the game. No big deal.

ViolentP

Seems like 30 FPS is a decent performance target. Who says it performs terribly?

You are saying that performance should have little semblance in a persons enjoyment of a game. You seem to be an outlier to enjoy a game at 10fps but surely you understand that many people would take issue with the idea. The same principle applies playing at 30fps but to a much smaller degree. Personally, I can play a game at 30fps. But almost 100% of the time, if I could sacrifice visuals for 60fps, I would. Simply put, because I enjoy smooth gameplay.

Top Bottom