• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R - 30 FPS, online details

30FPS was a given from what we've seen. Co op locally in 2017 though? Why even bother with local

Because I have a wife, child, and friends who will play it with me. Wheres if it was online-only, I couldn't enjoy it at all and would refuse to play that mode. Gaming is just better when you game with people that you know.

On my phone atm so didn't search too far but some stages look pretty nice, this one's from story mode I think:
ss13_l.jpg

Hmmm. The Switch is more powerful than a Wii U yet a Bomberman game that looks like a last gen downloadable game can't hit 60 fps? The math ain't adding up.

KORNdoggy

A game looking like that and only being 30fps is insane in 2017. I mean bomberman games get fast and frantic. Unless this one is somehow slow and plodding for...reasons. It really should be 60fps.

Decent? What would be a bad performance target?

Probably sub 30. "Bad" or "terrible" performance would be sub-30 or jarring framerate dips. I consider the design of the game - was it designed for 30 fps - when considering "bad" performance accusations.

Notice in DF videos, they point out the dips, and how jarring they are. That's what bad performance looks like. If a framerate target is set and met, and it is at least 30 - it should be all good.

Locked 30fps > Variable framerate agreed

I'll be there to play with you on Friday...online...in Bomberman...this is awkward.

the only thing that's awkward IMO is that a new retail Bomberman game is coming out in 2017 and some ppl wanna act like this isn't a big deal...

giphy.gif

get your priorities in order GAF

Yukinari

Theres a defense force for anything, even something as objective as "this bomberman game in unity should be running at 60FPS"

the only thing that's awkward IMO is that a new retail Bomberman game is coming out in 2017 and some ppl wanna act like this isn't a big deal...

giphy.gif

get your priorities in order GAF

My priorities are to play good games and not nitpick and demand everything be 1080p60 if it doesn't have to be. That's imposing your values onto the rest of us. I just want the game to be good, designed well from a game design perspective and be fun. Bad performance can hinder that, but a targeted and locke 30 FPS is not "bad performance".

Spy

My priorities are to play good games and not nitpick and demand everything be 1080p60 if it doesn't have to be. That's imposing your values onto the rest of us. I just want the game to be good, designed well from a game design perspective and be fun. Bad performance can hinder that, but a targeted and locke 30 FPS is not "bad performance".
Like I said before, 30fps in a multiplayer game isn't bad performance for you but for me, it very much is.

ViolentP

See, I think 30fps is bad performance. That is strictly due to a majority of what I play being at 60fps. Now, that said, anyone who thinks 30fps is fine is cool by my book. But my personal experiences demand a higher expectation in the year 2017.

NotLiquid

On my phone atm so didn't search too far but some stages look pretty nice, this one's from story mode I think:
ss13_l.jpg

Kind of explains the diagonal camera since there's elevation to story levels. It's kind of reminiscent of Bomberman 64 in that regard, which granted had a free form camera, but doing the classic Bomberman overhead view for it did not do it that many favors.

Oregano

$50 USD. Yes, seriously, $50.

The look of this game has been growing on me. Didn't really like it at first glance.

Yup, 30fps is a let down but the actual graphics are not bad. People keep saying it looks like/worse than Bomberman Live/Ultra but that game looks shockingly bad compared to this.

962900-930069_20090626_009.jpg

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
30fps but 8 players in LAN. As I'm getting 4 joycons I need only 2 friends with a Switch to reach 8 players: on a big screen: I'll try it after Barça - PSG and I'll share pictures :)

And 8 players online makes it even more essential to me.

Kind of explains the diagonal camera since there's elevation to story levels. It's kind of reminiscent of Bomberman 64 in that regard, which granted had a free form camera, but doing the classic Bomberman overhead view for it did not do it that many favors.
It's said to take inspiration from Bomberman 64 and Super Bomberman 3.

Yup, 30fps is a let down but the actual graphics are not bad. People keep saying it looks like/worse than Bomberman Live/Ultra but that game looks shockingly bad compared to this.

962900-930069_20090626_009.jpg

Also keep in mind not all devs are Naughty Dog. Bomberman has never been cutting edge. The developers are probably pretty traditional and old school and don't having a lot of experience with higher-end performance. They probably made the game they are most comfortable making and for a series that could very well disappear, I think we should be thankful that we have a new Bomberman game to play at all.

Ein Bear

How playable 30fps may or may not be to you personally seems somewhat redundant when there's no benefit attached to it.

If there was some huge new mechanic, or awesome twist that you could point to and say "See, the trade off was worth it!" I could understand, but there isn't. It's standard Bomberman gameplay, except now it's running at half the framerate of the 16 bit games and they want 50 fucking pounds for it.

It's a cynical cash grab designed to take advantage of fan's nostalgia/goodwill and the general desire to buy games at a console launch. The whole game is indefensible.

As a value proposition it's objectively worse than if they just stuck a Virtual Console ROM dump of Bomberman 94 on the eshop.

Syril

This makes no sense, considering that all the old 16-bit Bomberman games ran at 60fps. Kind of like just about all 16-bit games.

Sigh.

I'm making a dated joke about people from DmC Devil May Cry's attempts to spin its low framerate on its original release by saying it had "the feel of 60fps".

If you're implying that I'm demanding 60fps then you should maybe check the post he was responding to. I literally said that 30fps is fine if it's locked

I agree 100% that fun gameplay takes priority over teh grafxxxz

Top Bottom