• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R |OT| Buggler? I Hardly Know Her!

This game is a piece of shit.

The worst Bomberman game I've ever played.

The laggiest controls EVER, an awful color scheme that makes it difficult to discern between destructible blocks and indestructible walls, and a weird camera angle that makes it hard to judge where you are at times.

They're getting everything wrong that the old Bomberman games got so right. I almost went into shock when I saw the Hexadrive logo when the game started. They're the ones who saved the ZOE2 remaster port, but this game is terrible.

For those who would like it, I found the HQ box from the Facebook page, and added a case for completion sake. :)

super_bomberman_r_nintendo_switch_boxart_by_goldmetalsonic-db1v7ch.png

Edit: Oh hey! Found the credits! I can transcribe it if folks like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai1inoQEevE

Just the voice cast to start:

CAST (English)

White: Peter von Gomm
Black: Jon Sabay
Blue: Jeff Gedert
Red: Jeff Manning
Yellow: Greg Dale
Green: Sachiko Hara
Pink: Soness Stevens
Aqua: Hannah Grace
Plazma Bomber: Chris Koprowski
Magnet Bomber: Jack Merluzzi
Golem Bomber: Jeff Gedert
Karaoke Bomber / Pretty Bomber: Carolyn Miller
Phantom Bomber: Vinay Murthy
Buggler: Michael Rhys
Narrator: Jeff Manning

Wait, Jeff Manning, that sounds... familiar...

OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S THE ORIGINAL SMASH 64 ANNOUNCER!!! o_O

Camjo-Z

For those who would like it, I found the HQ box from the Facebook page, and added a case for completion sake. :)

It slightly annoys me that the actual U.S. boxart for the game has part of the explosion graphic from the back of the box spill over onto the front, covering the "Goh Gohh...".

Nosgotham

The laggiest controls EVER, an awful color scheme that makes it difficult to discern between destructible blocks and indestructible walls, and a weird camera angle that makes it hard to judge where you are at times.

They're getting everything wrong that the old Bomberman games got so right. I almost went into shock when I saw the Hexadrive logo when the game started. They're the ones who saved the ZOE2 remaster port, but this game is terrible.

You can fix the camera
Patch incoming for controls

I hope it gets better. I've heard bad things from my friends who are really into Bomberman

Sad to hear since I thought this would be the first multiplayer game to play on my switch. I was tempted to buy day one but held off based on the reviews. I guess I'll wait until Mario Kart 8

I second this, just beat the story mode yesterday and have no desire to ever touch this game again. It's not even good as a pick up and play local multi game as the AI bots are insanely cheap - when you add the input lag on top of that, the game just ceases to be any fun.

Maengun1

I just played this for a couple hours at a buddies house, having not played any Bomberman game in many years....damn what a blast. And I didn't notice any lag issues/the camera didn't bug me at all/etc.

to hell with the complaints, I'm picking this up before the prime discount expires ^_^

blitz64

How? Is there an option or do you need to buy a bigger map to trigger it?
Only getting 4 player matches

To play 8 players online:

click "Online Battle" --> "Free Battle" --> "Create Room" --> Select 8 player in first option --> Pray that 7 people will join your game before 40 second timer ends.

Usually only 1 people end up joining and 40 second is up.

The worst thing about this game is the cost of unlocks in the store. 5000 to unlock a character, when clearing a world gives you about 600, and getting second place online gives you 50? And the last unlockable character costs 30000! What a joke.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Multiplayer is ok but we're limited to two players until I buy more controllers, and the bots are shit (but then the bots have alswyas been shit I think)

I'm tempted to trade this in while it still has any value at all, and then consider buying back digitally if it gets discounted. It'll be a fun game but only for local MP for me and for that it'd be convenient to have sitting on my system and not needing to swap a physical card to play

Camjo-Z

The worst thing about this game is the cost of unlocks in the store. 5000 to unlock a character, when clearing a world gives you about 600, and getting second place online gives you 50? And the last unlockable character costs 30000! What a joke.

What are you talking about, they all cost 5000...

*finally beat all the worlds with 3 stars*

OH!

Can anyone tell me if this has the awesome "battle" music during multiplayer that the old bombermans used to have?
https://youtu.be/ewkH4r6eHCQ

Nope, it's all new music.

Camjo-Z

Anyone find a good way to earn coins? Going to be a hell of a grind to unlock the battle stages otherwise...

I've found that the final boss is the best way to reliably get a decent amount of gems. It's much shorter than playing through the regular worlds, and the attacks are fairly predictable and easy to dodge once you learn his tells (on Veteran, at least). If you place bombs right, you can take down his first form in 1-2 cycles and his second form in 2-3 depending on your luck with the moving platforms. I had a mediocre run with 0 lives left / no continues and still got 700 gems for it.

I've found that the final boss is the best way to reliably get a decent amount of gems. It's much shorter than playing through the regular worlds, and the attacks are fairly predictable and easy to dodge once you learn his tells (on Veteran, at least). If you place bombs right, you can take down his first form in 1-2 cycles and his second form in 2-3 depending on your luck with the moving platforms. I had a mediocre run with 0 lives left / no continues and still got 700 gems for it.

And if you do that 42 more times, you can unlock that character I mentioned lol

Honestly if they manage to fix the big 3 issues (online lag, control lag, overly difficult AI) it would be a perfectly fine revival.

-lack of options in multiplayer
-8 of the unlockable battle stages being glorified reskins
-all the unlocks being vastly overpriced/having to grind to get anything
-bad camera angles
-online mode is a ghost town at times, and this is probably the best it will get

I feel that a patch would make it playable, but it will always be a barebones, mediocre, overpriced shell of a Bomberman game. When you have difficulty making Bomberman line up to go up a ramp, you know the developers are incompetent. How could they let it ship in this state?
-

Might as well post the credits I grabbed so far:

STAFF:

Character Design / Mechanical Design: Hideyuki Takenami

GAME DEVELOPMENT

HEXA DRIVE Inc.

Director: Akihiro Mitsuda
Lead Programmer: Shunsuke yamamoto
Lead Artist: Jun-ichi Morita
Game Designers: Masanori Yasuda, Ryuichiro Taki
Programmers: Katsuya Murakami, Kentaro Yamada, Takashi Ono, Takashi Koga
Artists: Noriaki Kayanuma, Mutsuo Ohmiya, Akira Yamaguchi, Tatsuto Konno, Kohei Morimoto, Ukyo Maezawa
Managers: Jin-ichiro Okuda, Shingo Inoue, Kazunori Miyahara

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

Planning / Game Design: Noriaki Okamura, Yasuo Daikai
Concept Art / Character Design: Isa Okuyama
UI Artist: Aya Tarumi

SCENARIO

ELSEWARE. Ltd.

Written by: Kaede Ogawa, Goi Koganei, Moe Yamazaki
Original Story: Noriaki Okamura
Subtitles: Chikako Mori

LOCALIZATION

DICO Co., Ltd.

Localization Manager: Nicolas Julliand

CINEMATICS

Director: Poeyama
Illustrator: Hideyuki Takenami

IMAGICA Imageworks, Inc.

SOUND

Sound Director: Tetsuhi Takahashi

Music Department

Lead Composer: Seima Iwahashi (Elements Gardens)
Composer: Daisuke Kikuta (Elements Gardens)

Sound Fx Department

Lead Sound Designer: Masashi Watanabe
Sound Designer: Yuichi Yasui
Sound Program: Yukiko Suwa

Japanese Voice-Over

Director: Noriako Okamura, Tetsushi Takahashi
Recording Engineer: Nabuhiko Matsufuji
Cast Coordinator: Sawako Todoroki
Support: NELKE PLANNING Co., Ltd.
Recording Studio: Konami Sound Studio

English Voice-Over

Director: Cyrus Nozomu Sethna
Recording Engineer: Yasutaka Sato
Support: DICO Co., Ltd.
Recording Studio: AllBlue Co., Ltd.

ENDING THEME SONG

[HERO]

Vocal: Pretty Bomber (C.V. : Hitomi Harada)
Lyrics: RUCCA
Composer: Seima Iwahashi (Elements Garden)
Guitar: Koudai Mochimasu
Violin: Koichhiro Muroya, Aya Ito
Bass: Ryutaro Fujinaga
Chrorus: Ryota Suemasu, Ryota Tomaru, Yuta Kasai, Koudai Mochimasu
Recording Engineer: Hajime Tanabe
Mixed by: Yasuhiri Shirai, Eiichi Nishizawa
Directed by: Seima Iwahashi
Production Management: Asumi Suita (ARIA entertainment), Yuma Hirata (ARIA entertainment)
Sound Produced by: Elements Garden)

ONLINE MANUAL

Director: Haruna Usui (QBIST)
Designer: Tatsuhiko Karashima (QBIST)
Support: QBIST Inc.

PACKAGING

Packaging Direction / Logo Design: Kazuro Takada

MASTERING

Mastering Staff: Kenchiro Shigeno, Munetaka Kanno
International Support: Nicolas Julliand

QUALITY ASSURANCE

Production Support Division: Kenchiro Nakaoka
Quality Control Group Department: Koichiro Shindo, Masato Murakami
Support: Pole to Win Co., Ltd.

JAPAN MARKETING

Promotion: Jiro Oishi, Mutsumi Kobayashi, Suiko Seto
Promotion (PR): Daisuke Hase, Manami Kato
Promotion (WEB): Shiho Nagata
Promotion (SNS): Nobuyuki Sasaki
Promotion (Creative): Kazuro Takada
Sales Manager: Jun Murai
Sales: Zeng Qi, Hideyasu Atsumi
Digital Distribution: Yusuke Shimoda
Sales Promotion: Hiroshi Inaba, Satoko Naito

There's still more, but I needed a break and forgot to get back to it. :p So I'll just pass what I have so far. :)

Sheentak

Ai is broken, if your facing against them and are out first the ai will just avoid eachover.
Boss battles are a bitch too.

Way too hard, hope we get ai options

To play 8 players online:

click "Online Battle" --> "Free Battle" --> "Create Room" --> Select 8 player in first option --> Pray that 7 people will join your game before 40 second timer ends.

Usually only 1 people end up joining and 40 second is up.

I see, maybe we should have gaf bomberman nights? I wanna play 8 player bomberman 😎

I tried to play this online the other night with 3 friends...

We spent a long time just trying to all get into the same game. Turns out you have to join when your friends are in the lobby, searching while a match is in progress shows no rooms available. If this is how the random modes work as well it's no wonder online is a "ghost town", what are the chances of people finding each other if you're only given a 40 second window to find opponents?

Glad Konami is acknowledging the lag, although the input lag doesn't affect me as much as the online lag. Hope they get it sorted out sooner rather than later!

soo did a wired connection and online worked a lot better. I started to do test connections, and i would get NAT A wired and NAT D wireless but for some reason my d.l for wired was under 5mb (i am lost to why this is... its the same usb i used for the wiiu) while wireless was like 20mb. I think the wireless issues with the switch are not helping the online for this game and mix that with the lag on controls, recipe for disaster. All this was tested with a friend who like 20mins away. My only conclusion is updating my router for 5ghz with latest connection type because my switch is close yet the signal is weak (played around with options on router and got no improvements) ... Kind of sucks this is the only game to test online other than fast rmx.

Shiggy

Might as well post the credits I grabbed so far:

There's still more, but I needed a break and forgot to get back to it. :p So I'll just pass what I have so far. :)

I had started here with the development start:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231530012&postcount=192

I think your credits already have most, but are lacking the producers from the end of the credits.

Still wondering who the developers are that worked on previous Bomberman titles as TheGreatMightyPoo said.

Camjo-Z

After much grinding I managed to unlock
Pretty Bomber
who's basically just a really expensive reskin of
Karaoke Bomber
with the same special ability!

time well spent, i say

Honestly if they manage to fix the big 3 issues (online lag, control lag, overly difficult AI) it would be a perfectly fine revival.
I'd have to guess that the control lag and the inexcusable 30 FPS frame rate are linked. Can't see one being substantially fixed without the other.

Well thing 30fps =/= controls. If a game is built with 30fps in mind the controls are ajusted to it. Honestly if 30fps was an issue then most console games would have control issues. The lag is a different problem all together (for some odd reason when playing in handheld i feel no lag at all...)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I had started here with the development start:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231530012&postcount=192

I think your credits already have most, but are lacking the producers from the end of the credits.

Still wondering who the developers are that worked on previous Bomberman titles as TheGreatMightyPoo said.

Best Bomberman credits!

Bomberman '94
Saturn Bomberman

Haven't gone through them yet but I'd be surprised if any of these people are still around, this one sounds like a right dog's breakfast.

And 30fps? Disgusting. Bomberman is still a 2D game at heart, 30fps is unacceptable.

Shiggy

Best Bomberman credits!

Bomberman '94
Saturn Bomberman

Haven't gone through them yet but I'd be surprised if any of these people are still around, this one sounds like a right dog's breakfast.

And 30fps? Disgusting. Bomberman is still a 2D game at heart, 30fps is unacceptable.

I haven't seen any of them appear, but TheGreatMightyPoo said he's "informed" about who's making the game (allegedly unlike me), so he seems to know more. ;)

Top Bottom