• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Sunshine is legitimately bad and it has a 92 metacritic
Sunshine is legitimately bad? :O

I mean, I can understand that some people wanted more world variety, although I'd say the island theme was refreshing in how thoroughly it explored that setting, to the point you could see Pinna Park from Delfino Plaza or Ricco Harbor from Bianca Hills. Sunshine had a strong sense of place, even if my SM64 upbringing had me craving a snow world.

And I can understand that much of the best platforming was reserved for the FLUDD-less sections, and that the camera could be a pain at times (that Ferris wheel in Pinna Park, oh lawd), and that cleaning up graffiti or hosing down an ever-multiplying stingray wasn't perhaps game design at its finest.

But there was so much I loved about Sunshine, from simple stuff like spritzing the ground with water and belly-sliding at high speed, to hanging off a tightrope and propelling myself in circles before releasing and flying through the air. Delfino Plaza remains the most fun hub world in a 3D Mario -- platforming up the buildings and running across shingled rooftops was sublime -- and I also loved the Turbo Nozzle -- a sort of makeshift Wave Race in my Mario! -- as well as the Rocket Nozzle, which was used to great effect in the final battle. Certain setpieces, like Mecha-Koopa on the rollercoaster or the giant Wiggler on the beach, were exciting and never got old. So much cool stuff packed into Mario's one-off vacation... even if other elements were rough around the edges.

I can see how it's the black sheep of the mainline Mario games for some people, the "SMB2" of the 3D Mario titles, but it's certainly not terrible and is better than the vast majority of other platformers out at the time.

Riposte

Journos don't know when it is smart to like Mario. They overrated the original NSMB too, think it got a higher collected score than Wii and U, but I don't feel like checking.

Are all of the people seriously engaging Moze not frequenters of the Off topic side or something

Oh yeah... he is that guy lol

Moze

Banned
Ive been playing NSMBU with my wii U bundle, and no

It is a ridiculously boring game imo, and the fact it had no pro controller support at launch was laughable.

3d world is clearly a much better game with much more effort going into the development of it.

Rockondevil

Didn't even need the reviews to know this was going to be amazing. Just had to look at a handful of videos and you can see how much effort Nintendo has put in to this game.

I expect I shall be very busy come Friday with Mario and my X1.
Now if only I could afford a 3DS for Zelda and Pokemon I'd be set.

This is a fantastic point. I have given that game so many chances but no matter how hard I try to see its positives it just frustrates/bores me to no end.

at least it hasn't formed a sizable fanbase of people who clamor for the days of super mario sunshine like the wind waker does.

Maybe not sizable, but there are still those that want to see a return to a Sunshine-like game simply because it's more open world.

Are all of the people seriously engaging Moze not frequenters of the Off topic side or something

His "most famous person alive" thread was incredible.

The NSMB games are fun (even if I'm tepid on the slow starting/stopping speed when running), and they can be a riot with friends. But they do feel almost cynically cheap in their production values. It's like Nintendo thought we wouldn't notice if they recycled a good chunk of the music, or we wouldn't notice how jarring the 3D character models look against the painted 2D backdrops. The WiiU installment would've felt a lot more "special" if they put the same effort into the character models that they put into the backdrops, and if they added more than a few new enemies and world types, and if they put a serious effort into the music rather than coasting off what they had already created.

Man I'll have do disagree with that. If anything NSMB U is what has me extremely excited about this new mario game. They took a lot of risks, and the graphics look rich and crisp compared to games like Puppeter and Little Big Planet (excellent games both). The productions values are there, the little details are there (baby yoshi dancing with the music), and it even has the right difficulty level. Oh and 3d models of Mario, Luigi and Yoshi look phenomenal. Maybe I played a different game?

Seik

Banned
Pretty much a strong right hook in the face of anybody that called it a upres port of the 3DS game. Most reviews says it innovates in many ways and that many unexpected approaches are taking place in 3D world.

Can't wait for friday now. D:

trixx

My thoughts on NSMBU is that it is definately the best in the NSMB franchise and is a good game but it feels as if i've played it too many times.
Newcomers will love it but otherwise for me it was a solid game not amazing though.

Donkey kong country returns is better than NSMBU, and has taken the crown as Nintendo's go to 2d platformer imo.

I enjoyed sunshine a lot more than NSMBU also. Good game but at the same time there are many faults

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I don't even know how it got a 92. That is just proof that western gaming journalists wouldn't know a good game if it ate their left arms off.

Mario Sunshine, by Nintendo standards, was a steaming pile of yak dung. The collect red/blue coins mechanic should never have existed.

I loved Sunshine....

The original NSMB has a 90 Metacritic. Does anyone actually like that game, in hindsight? Were all those 9/10s justified by the quality of that game? Or was it the nostalgia/novelty factor of seeing a brand new 2d Mario after so many years?

He hates the Chapelle Show. That should be enough for everyone to write him off.

Andrew.

Banned
I can see how it's the black sheep of the mainline Mario games for some people, the "SMB2" of the 3D Mario titles, but it's certainly not terrible and is better than the vast majority of other platformers out at the time.

Perfect clutch way to describe it in a nutshell bro.

Marjar

Banned

Sunshine is actually my favorite 3D Mario.

It is far from bad. When you can have fun just dicking around a level (or hell even the hub world) and not even trying to get the Shine Sprites, something was done right.

HoJu

I remember the rollercoaster boss fight being just the worst thing,
But I wouldn't say that SMS is a bad game, it's just not a very good one.

Also its plot is the result of Koizumi being allowed to do whatever, so thank you Miyamoto for keeping him on a tight leash?...

trixx

The original NSMB has a 90 Metacritic. Does anyone actually like that game, in hindsight? Were all those 9/10s justified by the quality of that game? Or was it the nostalgia/novelty factor of seeing a brand new 2d Mario after so many years?

He hates the Chapelle Show. That should be enough for everyone to write him off.

That game was an alright game but compared to SMB 3, Yoshi's island, and Super Mario World it's not very good. I think it's because we haven't had 2d platformer in quite some time when it released.

tengiants

Maybe this has been answered somewhere but Nintendo releases are normally on Sundays... Does anyone know why this and Zelda are coming out on Friday?

I really like the idea of games coming out on Fridays. Tuesday is 2nd on my Top 10 Days of the Week Games Shouldn't Come Out list.

Riki

Maybe this has been answered somewhere but Nintendo releases are normally on Sundays... Does anyone know why this and Zelda are coming out on Friday?

I really like the idea of games coming out on Fridays. Tuesday is 2nd on my Top 10 Days of the Week Games Shouldn't Come Out list.
Nintendo seems to be moving a lot of their releases to Friday now.

trixx

theres only 7 days in a week though... :p

noobasuar

Banned
Sunshine is actually my favorite 3D Mario.

It is far from bad. When you can have fun just dicking around a level (or hell even the hub world) and not even trying to get the Shine Sprites, something was done right.

My man. I also think it's the best 3D Mario. Wish we could get a sequel but it's never going to happen without those gamecube triggers.

Auskeek

i'm guessing mostly 6s and 7s considering it took them two years to literally port over super mario 3d land.

Sorry to bring this up from page 1, but this post has me really confused. Did you miss the post E3 previews/trailers before making the post or did you still feel that way after seeing them?

Lijik

I think a lot of it had to do with the novelty of it. Even at the time I couldn't really get into it and thought the reviews were off base. Seeing it have the highest ranking on Metacritic is like stepping into some weird alternate universe where everything is the same except season 1 of Parks and Rec got the most critical acclaim

Neiteio

OK, I can relate with this example. I didn't care for the original NSMB, either, but for me, nostalgia hurt it rather than helped it. It felt like a hollow imitation of my cherished childhood memories. So regarding this topic of whether nostalgia helps or hurts -- it's a double-edged sword, I'd say, hinging largely on whether the game has its own spirit of originality, and whether the core gameplay is as fresh and fun as it should be. If those core qualities are in place, then the game feels true to the spirit of the imagery/sound it's evoking and the nostalgia works. Otherwise, you get the original NSMB, which for me felt like a series of shuffling taxidermy mounts -- lackluster design dressed up in the skins of iconic characters and concepts.

cafemomo

Does anyone know why this and Zelda are coming out on Friday?

finishing off what sony started

4tCl7wZ.gif

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member

Or it was just review scores being review scores. Oblivion has a ninety-odd metacritic score, but a few months after release eveyone realised the levelling system was broken and the game receives nothing but critisicms now. This happens all the time. We should be looking at tangible factors of the review process (like strict deadlines getting in the way of the time actually necessary for critical thought/pressure from publishers/catering to a specific audience) rather than wishy-washy excuses like "nostalgia getting in the way."

entremet

I don't even know how it got a 92. That is just proof that western gaming journalists wouldn't know a good game if it ate their left arms off.

Mario Sunshine, by Nintendo standards, was a steaming pile of yak dung. The collect red/blue coins mechanic should never have existed.

I loved the art direction and locale and the FLUDLESS levels, but everything else was garbage.

I really thought Gamecube Nintendo was one of their lowest outputs critically speaking. Metroid Prime and Thousand Year Door being the few exceptions.

SM3DW has move up to #2 in Amazon best sellers.

I hope Wii U has a solid holiday. I will be downloading this game as soon as it hits the eshop.

gotoadgo

This game is actually making me reconsider buying a Playstation 4. It was so fun when I played it earlier in the year that it had me hooked. Ugh, I have about a week to decide thanks to the AUS two week delay of the Playstation. Had tropical Freeze not been delayed this would probably be a much more clear cut decision.

Air

Banned
This game is actually making me reconsider buying a Playstation 4. It was so fun when I played it earlier in the year that it had me hooked. Ugh, I have about a week to decide thanks to the AUS two week delay of the Playstation. Had tropical Freeze not been delayed this would probably be a much more clear cut decision.

Wii U also has a backlog. PS4 will get great games in a couple of months. If you don't like your wii u, you can always sell it as well.

WIndwaker and Sunshine are horrible games now?

What the hell is in the water?

I think Sunshine has its fair share of charm, but I think the setting lacks diversity in the levels, and it's clear that it's not a finished game. This is evidenced by the reliance on the blue coins and repetitive tasks ("find the red coins again!", "catch Shadow Mario again!"). All in all, I think F.L.U.D.D. afforded some neat platforming possibilities, and the secret levels were good fun, but aside from that very little stands out about it.

Aside from that, I hated the Pianta, and I hated Bowser Jr. And the island setting didn't deserve an entire game. But having said that, I still like Sunshine a fair amount.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
SM3DW has move up to #2 in Amazon best sellers.

I hope Wii U has a solid holiday. I will be downloading this game as soon as it hits the eshop.

it's slowly climbing the uk charts too. Very slowly, but the U is dead in UK so Nintendo will be glad to take anything they can

Me too... I was going to get a PS4 soon, but I'm considering switching to Wii-U for this game + Wind Waker HD (among other games). If "X" had a release date and reveal, I'd just get a Wii-U now. I'm still kind of undecided.

Bodacious

Banned
I think Sunshine has its fair share of charm, but I think the setting lacks diversity in the levels, and it's clear that it's not a finished game. This is evidenced by the reliance on the blue coins and repetitive tasks ("find the red coins again!", "catch Shadow Mario again!"). All in all, I think F.L.U.D.D. afforded some neat platforming possibilities, and the secret levels were good fun, but aside from that very little stands out about it.

Aside from that, I hated the Pianta, and I hated Bowser Jr. And the island setting didn't deserve an entire game. But having said that, I still like Sunshine a fair amount.

You should make your own game! That would rock!

The FLUDD-less levels aren't even that good. I went back and played the game last month to see if my memory was playing tricks on me and it's really, really slippery and controls awkwardly.

The blue coins are maybe the worst collectibles in platformer game history

Rockondevil

I don't share the distaste some people have for Sunshine. I really enjoyed the game, it's different for sure but it was fun for what it was.

Sunshine was a brilliant game and I hadn't realised anyone hated it. Everyone I know that played it loves it.
It was definitely different, but so was Galaxy when it came out.

I personally think I enjoyed Sunshine more than Galaxy, it's definitely equal at least.

andymcc

Banned
Sunshine is half of a good game and half of a bad one. It pretty much exemplifies why "open world" Mario games are an all-around bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom