• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My review (in Dutch): 8.5

In short: its a fantasic game but it does not push the Mario formula further, like Galaxy and Mario 64 did. It feels like a small step back compared to Galaxy. Heaps of fun for both the new and experienced player with a balanced difficulty. Not as much post-game content as in Mario 3D Land but still loads to do after you play through it. Multiplayer is fun but gets chaotic with four players, especially in harder levels. Feels like a Mario best-of and like it is the bridge between the 3D and 2D Marios, just like 3D Land was.

I'm one of the biggest Mario fans there is, I tend to look very carefully at what works and don't work. I'm not saying the perfect scores are wrong, Im just saying that this is how I experienced it. Its a damn good game but perfect? Nah, its not in the Galaxy-league.

D-e-f-

Banned
Man, I wanna know how the Miiverse integrates into the game!

They detailed this weeks ago. You collect stamps hidden in levels, you use the stamps to make Miiverse posts look cool. The Animal Crossing app also supports this since the update. It'll appear in more games.

Effect

Damn you Nintendo. I was going to wait and let Amazon deliver this next week. I'm going have to go out and get it on Friday now. I thought the game was going to be good but not this damn good. :)

They detailed this weeks ago. You collect stamps hidden in levels, you use the stamps to make Miiverse posts look cool. The Animal Crossing app also supports this since the update. It'll appear in more games.

Quite possible this could be see as their alternative to trophies while third parties might adapt to pushing achievements out to the Miiverse the way Batman Arkham Origins and Deus Ex do.

Krabboss

I'm not reading many of the reviews as I want to be surprised on Friday, but damn. These are fantastic scores. I think back to those meltdowns when the game was first shown; It's truly awe inspiring. Friday is going to be a fun day.

They're not really spoiling anything. Every single one of them is talking about what we've known about forever while winking about the post game content. Nintendo has got their lips sealed like they did with 3D Land.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Even though I haven't played it yet:
"Mario the way God intended".

I was all set on getting a PS4. Do I scrap that idea now? lol.

Jonboy

Wow. Already thought I had my GOTY, but looks like I'll need to spend some serious time with 3D World before confirming it.

Kotaku says its not a good WiiU game. Whatever that means.

There was this initial year for the DS, the Wii, the 3DS, and I'm pretty sure the Vita as well, where every game was essentially put on trial to justify the unique features in the system. I still remember people acting like 3DS was a worthless system because none of the games needed 3D.

Timeaisis

Wow, great scores across the board. It's kind of insane how it was off my radar a mere three months ago. HYPE HYPE HYPE

Friday can't come soon enough!

jmls1121

Banned
This paragraph from the EuroGamer review almost brought a tear to my eye...this reviewer nails it:

That certainly explains a game like Super Mario 3D World - yet another Mario title where each new level can be trusted to throw in a one-off idea that's forgotten seconds later. 3D World has a story, but as ever, it drifts into the ether the moment you take your first jump. It has world themes - desert, ice, grasslands - but they're largely ignored as you hop between pools of bizarre brilliance that defy easy categorisation. Autumn, water parks, the circus: each level takes you somewhere different, while every minute of play spools outwards in a friendly 60fps jumble of nutty concepts - perhaps nuttier here than ever before. And yet! And yet that famous Mario coherency still rules - because everything you encounter in a Mario game reminds you of something else you encountered in another Mario game. Because Mario is games.

Gamespot review said it was very good, just not quite at the level of Galaxy 2. That's not exactly a negative, but it wasn't good enough to earn a 10.

Teknoman

I'm just glad that the soundtrack is amazing and seems to be mostly original compositions. I like remixes here and there, but Mario is at its best with new, well thought out themes.

Ragus

Banned
I have a strange feeling, that this will be a Zelda/Mario situation, like the one in 2011.

3DLand got amazing reviews, while SS... well, let's say that review thread was quite amusing.

Still, can't wait to play this shit, as I know it will be an amazing game.

I like to be wrong.

God damn, this fucking game.

Axass

Too bad I've got no money for a Wii U to spare atm...

I guess the missing point is in another castle?

Then, why not a perfect score?

Games don't start at 10. You don't detract points from 10 due to negatives. Sometimes a game can simply be great but not great enough, not because it does something wrong, but because it lacks something or doesn't innovate enough.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
France will lower the score :

Gamekult : 8/10
Gameblog : 4/5
Jeuxvideo.com : 17/20

They're stealing our perfect metacritic ! :]
All Wii U games scored less than metacritics average since launch on french sites. Seeing how they mock Nintendo on twitter all the time, it's hardly a surprise.

ffdgh

Games don't start at 10. You don't detract points from 10 due to negatives. Sometimes a game can simply be great but not great enough, not because it does something wrong, but because it lacks something or doesn't innovate enough.

That was sarcasm on my part :p.

balgajo

Can't agree with you. Lack of something or doesn't innovate enough are negative points for me.

iP0RP43b0XUZH.gif

I'm seeing a lot of "beginning to 'end'" type quotations in reviews. 3D-land style
post-game
confirmed?

For sure, between the early leaked IGN video saying
"the post game worlds"
and numerous other reviews saying they played the game "from start to credits" coupled with a *wink wink* when alluding to
post credits content

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh fuck it. Pre-ordering and putting Nintendo's big dick in my mouth. First it was GTA, now it's Mario putting me off buying Puppeteer. Don't worry Puppeteer, I'll buy you eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom