• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Kart on the US Wii U eShop without warning

Raw64life

BuXnMNHCAAAni3R.jpg

I've never bought anything digitally from Nintendo before. Why is this 70MB?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had a Wii U for this. I have only ever played Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 (of course the former being better, in my opinion). I loved this game so damn much. I get dem feels when I think about the title screen music.

JimboJones

I see no point in owning this when I have far better Mariokarts at my fingertips. Why would anyone want to race on flat tracks?

I actually really like the flat tracks especially the battle mode maps.

I was actually kind of annoyed they modified the GBA Mario Circuit (in MK8) just for a short pointless anti gravity section lol.

Each game includes its own emulator program.

That and they come with a digital manual with pictures an stuff also it's only 23MB once installed.

Tom_Cody

It's on the North American Wii U eShop, but it doesn't have a page on Nintendo.com or a Miiverse community yet. The release date is listed for today, August 6th, and you DON'T have to search for it manually (thanks, jholmes! I'm zero for three!). You can buy it right now.
WTF

Will buy tonight.

alf717

My eShop shows a listing for the game on the first page. Remember Nintendo updates at 1PM eastern most of the time.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Adds-Mercedes-Benz-Cars-Updates#.U-JgBvldV8E

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the first time ever, Nintendo’s Mario Kart franchise will be powered by some real-world horsepower. An Aug. 27 game update to Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U console will deliver a variety of new features for players, including the ability in-game to download three free Mercedes-Benz cars that players can race: the modern Mercedes-Benz GLA, the 300 SL Roadster from the 1950s and the legendary Silver Arrow of the 1930s.

The GLA model comes with special wheel options, while players can customize all three new karts with various wheels and gliders in the game. The new content arrives on the 22nd anniversary of the launch of the original Mario Kart game, Super Mario Kart, which first launched in Japan on Aug. 27, 1992. To further celebrate the upcoming anniversary, Super Mario Kart launches today for $7.99 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. Players can now experience where the series got its start.

Between Aug. 27 and Sept. 23, Nintendo and Mercedes-Benz will also host an online worldwide “Mercedes Cup” tournament. All competitors need is a Wii U console, Mario Kart 8 game, a broadband Internet connection and the Mercedes-Benz karts. Access to the “Mercedes Cup” in the game can be found in the online tournament section.

The Mario Kart 8 game update will also add a variety of new features designed to enhance the racing experience for everyone. These include:

Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”.
The game will remember the most recent kart options that were selected, even if the Wii U system was powered down.
Users will be able to change options of other players’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions.
A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they’ve collected, the win-loss record of their online battles and their frequently used characters.
Improved the stability of the online connection to enhance user experience during online battles.
For more information about Mario Kart 8, visit http://mariokart8.nintendo.com.

Exile20

I still can't believe that UK got more options for thier free game with MK8 and SMK free.

While in NOA we got.....

Rocky

Banned
There's one in every thread.

You're saying you wouldn't pay 8 bucks for a really good racing game? Your loss.

No I wouldn't. Especially when most PS1 games are $4-5 on PSN and can be played on multiple systems.

I have no problem with $1.50 though, a much more reasonable price for SNES games.

jaina

Great for you in the US. In EU we had a promotion prior to Mario Kart 8 where buying SMK on the eShop gave a 8€ discount to the digital Mario Kart 8 purchase.

Someone explain NOA logic to me? The rest of the world got it ages ago. But no, NOA decide to hold it back because it will sell better if they launch it without warning, away from their other downloads. They probably won't mention it in the PR either (or it will be small print also sthis week section aka we can't be bothered to write/copy paste PR info for this section)
Forget that. The biggest sin is that Nintendo insists on selling a straight port of a SNES game from 20+ years ago for $7.99! A game that, mind you, already made Nintendo many times over the budget that initially cost them to make it eons ago. It's ridiculous.

This is awesome.

I will pass for now though. I still have the cart for the SNES, which I was playing literally just a couple of days ago.

SNES Mario Kart is (and will remain) one of my favorite games of all time. However...Holy cow, after playing Mario Kart 8, it's a little rough going back to SNES Mario Kart.

Weng

Forget that. The biggest sin is that Nintendo insists on selling a straight port of a SNES game from 20+ years ago for $7.99! A game that, mind you, already made Nintendo many times over the budget that initially cost them to make it eons ago. It's ridiculous.
You might want to read up on this capitalism thing we're living in.

Neat.

But call me when they put up Super Mario RPG.

#BestNintendoGame
There's also the fact that many of the "big releases" the WiiU's virtual console is getting are games that have been on the OG Wii's Vc for years! And of course you'd have to pay for them again if you want them to be ran natively by your WiiU.

Nintendo's online incompetence doesn't know when to stop. And this is coming from a huge Nintendo fan! I'm just a fan who happens to not be blind.

marvel8797

Neo Member

well, you're welcome to track down a copy of the original cartridge for 20 bucks.

Only Nintendo can get away with charging 8 bucks for a 20-year-old rom. Good for them, I guess.

The thing about pricing is that you charge what the good you are selling is worth.

There's also the fact that many of the "big releases" the WiiU's virtual console is getting are games that have been on the OG Wii's Vc for years! And of course you'd have to pay for them again if you want them to be ran natively by your WiiU.

Nintendo's online incompetence doesn't know when to stop. And this is coming from a huge Nintendo fan! I'm just a fan who happens to not be blind.

Don't iOS apps use a similar scheme for iPhone/iPad versions? e.g. the native iPad version is $1 more than the iPhone version?

Yeah, their handling of Virtual Console has been pretty damn far from ideal. It's been getting better recently, though.

Literally all I want is Super Mario RPG. I could give a shit what they do after that.

I still can't believe that UK got more options for thier free game with MK8 and SMK free.

While in NOA we got.....
Please when you mention this look at the context. You get the discount of SMK price on the MK8 price (you don't get DDP for this). The MK8 on the eShop is €60/£50 (for giggles convert these to US$). You can easily find physical versions of MK8 for £40 (even the download code for the same) and SMK is not £10...so it is more of a thanks but no thanks promotion.

Rocky

Banned
The real world.

Either way, contrary to what you said, "most" PS1 games aren't $4-$5 on PSN.

If you say so. But I've never paid more than that for PS1 games, due to all the sales PSN has. And its still a better value to me, because I can play the game on my PS3, Vita or PSP.

Makonero

Don't take me wrong, I'm not criticising Nintendo. I'm honestly in awe that they can get away with it when last year's AAA games can be had for 5 bucks on Steam.

Which is why they don't devalue their products. As long as they keep their prices relatively high for all similar products, people won't be trained to wait for ridiculous sales. It may not be great for consumers, but it is good business.

Also, it means you rarely feel ripped off for having bought a game at launch since it won't significantly reduce in price within a few months. Unless it's F-Zero GX, sadly.

Stealth release VC games is kinda awesome. I would've hyped it up and dropped it a couple weeks prior to MK8 to build anticipation, but Ninty gonna Ninty.

What if this is a mistake and it wasn't supposed to be up yet. Better download it now, kiddies - I wouldn't put this past NOA.

EDIT: Just checked the eShop and it's on the front page. Def not a mistake.

Top Bottom