• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker - 99 Amiibo Costumes. Confirmed unlockable without amiibo

StayDead

Animal Crossing amiibo cards also working?

Does that mean I can have a platformer with my man Bob/Nikoban as the star? He'd be perfect for "automatic" levels!

JoeM86

Oh.

Some more details.

1.4GB

Compatible with Wii Remote, Classic Controller (Pro), Pro Controller.

Can save 120 courses.

Did we know this?

Oh.

Some more details.

1.4GB

Can save 120 courses.

Did we know this?

I think thats new. But thats awesome :) But I guess this will work for playing, cause it would be a mess to create levels with the Wii Mote :D

just 120 courses to save? Hope there'll be a "lock" system so most of the stages will just be overwritten automatically.

And holy shit; 1.4gb? That can actually fit next to splatoon on my USB stick. Hooray! Maybe I should cancel my retail copy.

Santar

Thank god you can actually unlock the costumes without using amiibos. Maybe Nintendo finally have understood that people don't like it when they lock in game content behind amiibos.

Kurt

What would be nice if game developers start integrating mobile apps into their software.
I could open a whole lot of possibilities.

Anyway i'm telling this that they could create a mobile app to design levels so you could create them and test/play them later on your wii u (when your back @ home).

YESS!!.gif

YES ! :D:D:D:D ow man so awesome that you can play the game with a normal controller and not just with the gamepad ! :D #HYPE ! :D

JoeM86

What would be nice if game developers start integrating mobile apps into their software.
I could open a whole lot of possibilities.

Anyway i'm telling this that they could create a mobile app to design levels so you could create them and test/play them later on your wii u (when your back @ home).

Creating the stages require playing them to test momentum for jump distance. It wouldn't work well.

No. It's only Super Mario Bros. NES style that has this feature. The slot for it in other styles is taken by the game specific power up: Raccoon Tail, Cape & Spin Mushroom

Richie

No kidding, I'd dish out cash for DLC of all these characters in SMB3/SMW/NSMBU art styles. Too much effort with the animations and whatnot to include beyond the original NES style, which is understandable, but if they ever actually offered them in those other styles, maaan I'm there day one.

I actually have no idea.

Europe doesn't have them at all. Australia only has the Silver one.

They do, however, work in Mario Party for both Japan and Europe, even though we don't have the actual amiibo officially.

Of course they work, Amiibos arent region locked as far as we know. I got a japanese jigglypuff working perfectly fine with my german smash :D

Robin64

Of course they work, Amiibos arent region locked as far as we know. I got a japanese jigglypuff working perfectly fine with my german smash :D

No, they're not, but historically Nintendo have edited out a feature from a game if that region wasn't getting the hardware. So I reckon they plan to release them elsewhere at some point, just who knows when.

No, they're not, but historically Nintendo have edited out a feature from a game if that region wasn't getting the hardware. So I reckon they plan to release them elsewhere at some point, just who knows when.

I think its even possible to buy Gold and Silver Mario on amazon.de (for prices above all common sense and imported from somewhere else of course)

Memory

thank you.
damn! so if I'm using those characters, I can't switch style on-the-go?
it's a pity

Btw, is this the official JP boxart?

is it horizontally aligned as the old SNES covers?! :eek:

They show what happens in the let's Play I linked on the 1st page. The ? Mushroom that normally transforms you becomes another item instead.

Who knows if this is true for all 99 characters though. Toad, Luigi etc already have sprites for the later styles so I imagine they will be usable.

Shoyz

Kind of feel like a jerk for thinking it but I'm a bit disappointed that what I considered to be the first significant amiibo feature..doesn't require amiibo at all. In fact, I feel like it would be more fun to unlock them by playing the game than just scanning them in. What a weird call. I figured non-owners could use the costumes by playing levels with the creator's included amiibo costume.

I could have sworn an alt like Toon Link scans as regular Link? Little hope for gold/silver mario if true.

Robin64

I could have sworn an alt like Toon Link scans as regular Link? Little hope for gold/silver mario if true.

It depends on the game. Link and Toon Link have the same primary ID, but the secondary ID is different. Woolly World sees them as seperate things by reading that secondary ID, but Hyrule Warriors only cares about the primary.

KHlover

Banned
Kind of feel like a jerk for thinking it but I'm a bit disappointed that what I considered to be the first significant amiibo feature..doesn't require amiibo at all. In fact, I feel like it would be more fun to unlock them by playing the game than just scanning them in. What a weird call. I figured non-owners could use the costumes by playing levels with the creator's included amiibo costume.

Toon Link isn't an alt though. Maybe he and Link will share the same sprite, but then it'll be because there's really no meaningful way you could differentiate between a Link and a Toon Link sprite in 8bit.

I'd bet that Pit and Dark Pit don't share the same sprite.

Gold and Silver Mario, now THAT will be interesting.

JoeM86

It depends on the game. Link and Toon Link have the same primary ID, but the secondary ID is different. Woolly World sees them as seperate things by reading that secondary ID, but Hyrule Warriors only cares about the primary.

Similar with Dr. Mario and the Yarn Yoshi

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dark Pit will probably just be this.

X9Zbz39.png

Might not be. Notice that all the sprites in the OP are 16x16. Peach has old NES sprites, but then tended to be two squares tall so they've had to redraw her. Pit is the same so will likely have to have a new retro sprite made for him.

Robin64

Might not be. Notice that all the sprites in the OP are 16x16. Peach has old NES sprites, but then tended to be two squares tall so they've had to redraw her. Pit is the same so will likely have to have a new retro sprite made for him.

That's a good point and would mean the classic Megaman sprite won't fit either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Will they be playable with any other art-style? Captain Falcon NSMB would be kickass.

Nope. Mystery (?) Mushroom is only available in the SMB theme. It changes to other theme exclusive items when you switch:
SMB: ? Mushroom
SMB3: Leaf
SMW: Feather
NSMBU: Propeller Mushroom.

Top Bottom