• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker for 3DS will not support 3D

Would have been a cool thing to try but for this type of Mario it just adds nothing.

No online is more boring even if we already knew it :/

While no 3D isn't a big deal, it's still kinda dumb to not have that on top of the horrible online features. This thing is seriously a stupid release.

Morts

Game can still be salvaged if it'll downloaded levels I've added via the Bookmark site while in sleep mode. Otherwise it's missing too many features.

I was strongly considering this one to scratch off that 2D Mario itch on my 3DS, but after this and no online downloading, I think I'll stick to NSMB2 (unless any of you fine folk cares enough to convince me otherwise).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
For some reason, I didn't even think about the 3D. I just assumed it would be "exactly" like the Wii U version, but more portable and with some features that aren't possible on the 3DS. I totally forgot the 3DS has 3D and that this game could potentially use those features. Truth told, the 3D effect kind of gives me a headache, especially when I'm playing it on the bus, so I usually have it turned off, or at the very lowest setting to the point where it's almost 2D. XD

The no online level sharing is what annoys me the most. What's the point?

Here you go. I fixed the cover art for you:

tq9czgT.png

I'm not sure what the motivation is for me to pick this version up exactly. Nintendo has stated not all levels from Wii U will work on this version, the online sharing has been taken out and now there won't even be any 3D functionality. What is the point, Nintendo?

MrBadger

I honestly keep forgetting the 3DS's 3D is even a thing. I don't know too many people who use it regularly or at all. Online is the bigger deal breaker for me.

Velcro Fly

Portable level player indeed.

I'm a little sad the opportunity was maybe passed by to make Super Mario Land/2 style levels. I think that would have been cool.

(i'm probably still buying the game. i am part of the problem)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm not sure what the motivation is for me to pick this version up exactly. Nintendo has stated not all levels from Wii U will work on this version, the online sharing has been taken out and now there won't even be any 3D functionality. What is the point, Nintendo?

This isnt aimed at people who already own the superior WiiU version.

Berordn

Portable level player indeed.

I'm a little sad the opportunity was maybe passed by to make Super Mario Land/2 style levels. I think that would have been cool.

(i'm probably still buying the game. i am part of the problem)

Won't lie, I would've gone nuts over Mario Maker Land.

Fritz

People who do not own a WiiU will buy this. I mean the core game of DIY Mario is there. Is that so hard to understand.

khaaan

Meh, I feel like the lack of 3D is being blown out of proportion because the feature that actually matters (i.e. online) isn't present.

Velcro Fly

Meh, I feel like the lack of 3D is being blown out of proportion because the feature that actually matters (i.e. online) isn't present.

Yep. How often did people play 2D platformers with the 3D on all the time? Would people buy the game solely for the 3D? It was a feature I'd use for about 10 or 15 minutes like I did in NSMB2 or Yoshi's New Island and then never use again.

People who do not own a WiiU will buy this. I mean the core game of DIY Mario is there. Is that so hard to understand.

Yeah. I wouldn't be too surprised if this outsold the Wii U version--I know I'll be checking it out at least. Probably pick it up in January or something, as it looks like Dragon Ball Fusions will be my December game. Granted, I never really shared many levels anyway. I usually just booted up the 100 Mario challenge and played through a few random assortments and give out ratings. This is pretty much what I would expect from a portable version of the game.

kunonabi

Yep. How often did people play 2D platformers with the 3D on all the time? Would people buy the game solely for the 3D? It was a feature I'd use for about 10 or 15 minutes like I did in NSMB2 or Yoshi's New Island and then never use again.

I play everything with 3D on all the time. The package as it is now pointless but really well-done 3D might have gotten me to pick at a discount later on. No 3D, the lack of online features, and the limited stage creation makes for a completely useless product outside of it being portable.

It's depressing that the end of the 3DS and the beginning of the NX is probably going to be littered with a bunch of Wii U ports I already own and have no interest in buying again.

Ourobolus

Banned
Considering I have yet to play a game in 3D on 3DS where it significantly increased my enjpoyment (or even marginally), I couldn't care less.

As long as it's relatively full-featured it's still probably a good game.

Comet

Honestly I'm not even minding these omissions. I don't bother with 3D at all and I doubt I'd care uploading anything online and I can still download some stages. So really, it's honestly fine for me even though I was once quick to pick up my pitch fork against this game at first.

MrBadger

I wonder why they couldn't wait a few months for a better NX port.
Oh yeah, Christmas money.

For all we know, there could be an NX version as well. This is blatantly just a cash grab, not that there's anything wrong with a company wanting to make money.

OmegaFax

I've used the 3D effect a lot more since the New 3DS came out. It ironed out the usability hiccups with the original 3DS hardware. I find the 3D effect relaxing on my eyes. The screen is feeding more information into your eyeballs.

In some cases (like Dragon Quest VII), I might keep the 3D slider at the bare minimum for a crisper picture vs. a smoothed out image. If there's a game with noticeable performance issues when it's turned on (i.e. Hyrule Warriors), I'll keep it off.

For 2D games, I love having a distinct foreground and background. Sonic the Hedgehog 3D's Star Light Zone looks very nice when the foreground layer pops out against the black starry background.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 ... I liked having the 3D for two reasons ... one, like Sonic, the foreground and background become more distinct but also because the game starts to blur out the background with a faux field of view effect. The backgrounds in the game didn't wow me when the effect was off. They looked low quality and lacked any visual punch . I got the impression they were made to be blurred out. The blur wasn't really tied to the 3D effect in any meaningful way. If you close one of your eyes while turning up the 3D slider, it will still blur the background.

Maxinas

Not saying 3D is bad, but who was honestly buying it for 3D? Where there is definitely no excuse is the lack of online courses.

makako

Neo Member
the stupidity of people complaining about this game don't cease to amhuse me. No 3D is a real deal in this game ? Would it be that much better if it had 3d ? Where would 3D fit in this game with all honesty ? .... I am for a happy consumer to be able to experience a portable version of mario maker where i can share games locally either with friends or random people through spotpass. All in all the best thing is that now i don't need to go and buy a Wii U to be able to experience this game, even if with minor downgrades.
Considering the performance difference between a home console and a handheld i didn't even think mario maker on 3ds would be a possibility. And then it arrives and instead of getting happy for another game on the console or the possibility to build levels on the go or just not caring people are complaining that minor tweaks weren't added.

3D is just a gimmick that have been left turned off more times than not. Obviously sharing stages online would be awesome but i understand why it won't happen and i think that being able to play the game on the handheld but not being able to upload / download stages nor play all the wii U stages is a fair trade.

I'm excited for this release and i can't understand why people whine so much about everything. Want to play the whole thing ? Buy it on the Wii U and play stuck on a TV. I'm happy with my on the go similar experience.

Ainaurdur

I would lament the lack of all the online functionality, missing mushrooms etc. but especially no 3D makes this release a pass for me since I already have it on WiiU.

Such a missed opportunity for gameplay possibilities. They could have had a palette based on the Virtual Boy Wario Land game, or just applying 3D to the scrolling backgrounds and characters. I can understand they wouldn't add a maker mode based on Super Mario 3D Land, that would be way too complex/intensive. But the basics? Come on.

I'll just thank them instead, I can put that money toward the NX.

I'll probably still get this, but it's super disappointing.

For some reason I find 3d mode to look significantly better in most games. I don't notice the crappy resolution and aliasing as much in 3d mode, and the n3ds works so much better than og3ds in 3d mode.

Top Bottom