• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker for 3DS will not support 3D

The lack of 3D is a non-issue for me, because I don't play with 3D on.

It's the gimped online functionally that made me write this off when it was announced.

donny2112

What's the point of this again?

To add achievements to 100 built-in levels and play a restricted listing of Wii U created levels that aren't too much for the 3DS. Creator aspects are kind of throwaway unless you're really into creating for your friends/Streetpassers.

I'll probably still get this, but it's super disappointing.

For some reason I find 3d mode to look significantly better in most games. I don't notice the crappy resolution and aliasing as much in 3d mode, and the n3ds works so much better than og3ds in 3d mode.
yeah, better, stable 3D is the main feature of the new 3ds. Ofcourse it's logical to release games without 3D....

Still gonna buy this though :(

spookyfish

This will be one of the rare Nintendo-published games that will be on sale fairly quickly.

EDIT: Because, yes, I'll probably buy it. But it won't be for full-price. Taking online out is removing a major portion of the game.

espher

There are a few 3DS games that don't play in 3D. I assume for some it's a performance issue. The rest just don't have anything to render in 3D, really (e.g. Pokemon/Disney Art Academy).

khaaan

I play everything with 3D on all the time. The package as it is now pointless but really well-done 3D might have gotten me to pick at a discount later on. No 3D, the lack of online features, and the limited stage creation makes for a completely useless product outside of it being portable.

Do you think the average 3DS user will pass on a game because it doesn't have 3D?

Lijik

Yep. How often did people play 2D platformers with the 3D on all the time? Would people buy the game solely for the 3D? It was a feature I'd use for about 10 or 15 minutes like I did in NSMB2 or Yoshi's New Island and then never use again.

Are you kidding? It looks amazing in Wayforward games. Ive bought some of their bunkiest games on the cheap just because their spritework pops in 3D.
I turned it off in NSMB2 too but thats because its a garbo implementation, all it does is blur the background

Uh.... people are surprised by this? I thought it was a given. Nintendo would have said it in the direct if it would.
Since when has it ever been more common for people to assume that a 3DS game wasn't going to be in 3D because it wasn't explicitly stated?

I think most people would agree with the opposite of that statement.

On topic: I don't have any intention of picking this up at this point. It's just seems rushed. I never play in 2D so this actually matters to me. No online (or whatever neutered version we're getting) or 3D is two strikes too many.

Richie

The ammount of people who will buy it not knowing they can't properly share their levels is going to cause a huge shitstorm.

There needs to be a warning on the front of the box.

Yeah, this particular title is likely to get a lot of attention, what with releasing close to Super Mario Run, and if its shortcomings aren't well communicated beforehand, I fear it may harm goodwill from the mainstream.

For all it's missing, the game does supposedly have 100 new courses made by Nintendo preinstalled, with their own set of medal objectives to give them more meat beyond just beating them for the first time. I heard a complaint among the casual folks is that SMM didn't include a more straightforward,.classic type of campaign mode (since the quality in the runs made out of fan-made levels could be very uneven). If they leverage these new courses, they could make the title's weak points easier to forgive.

Top Bottom