• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

MouldyK

And as self-promotion, here's my last level from last night which has only 1 play :(
Considering a spent a lot of time on it, I really would like some feedback on the difficulty.
Thanks!

m0nmj2u.jpg

I'll test it while I eat dinner.

EDIT: I liked it, but the amount of Wigglers in the Water Part was way too much! :D

ohNOitsRO

Reposting from yesterday! My 'Gravity Manor' level has gotten really positive reviews guys, feels good! 14 stars out of 19 people played is nice!

Gravity Manor
ID: C2FC-0000-0059-4C5C

I also retweaked my vine scroller saw dodging level! It's alot, ALOT more friendly now! Would love to hear new feedback!

Gripvine Canyon
ID: 6816-0000-005A-7BC3

And I'll plug in my other levels I guess:

Castle Siege
ID: 4420-0000-005A-9A0D
Reuploaded for a 4th and final time. Tweaked the helmet part to better reflect having to use the helmet.

Yoshi's Origins
ID: 51D6-0000-004E-4261
Only one star out of 9 plays :( I don't think this level is too hard, could use some more feedback on it

The Path Less Taken
ID: DB70-0000-004B-6314
My first ghost house, more of a traditional ghost house with right/wrong paths

And the final one to put up is a one screen level inspired by a fellow gaffer! When I played his I had to take a shot at my own. 10 plays no stars

One Screen Wonder
ID: 359C-0000-004B-D959

There's a good amount of more levels I have uploaded but these are the ones I really wanna get some feedback on. If you like what you see play my other levels! :p

Paulie_C

Neo Member
How many Stars do you need to get to unlock the 2nd Coin?

I'm was at 21 yesterday

Also for people who were not on the weekend I would like to repost my Zelda Maker level

Zelda Maker - E698-000-004D-D724

Once again it has an over world, plus dungeon, mini boss, and boss that you would need to defeat with the hidden power up, plus a few secrets in there

It has been my most popular level, but I would love for it to get more plays

Just had a go there. Decent level, give it a star. Though there's a couple of blind jumps one at the start after the Thowmps and right at the end. Were they intentional?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Ok so I played the first levels from the contest. Here's my short impressions :

Anteo
Nice introduction to springs

Jocchan
Nice throwback. The big mushroom breaks the level though.

Jucksalbe
The bonus area in the clouds is broken. Clown car ending is surprising for a 1-1.

Yuterald
Very original but a bit hard for a 1-1 and you can skip a big chunk of the level which is unrewarding.

Junahu
Quite fun SMW level

TheSlySoul
A bit too short but nice layout.

BGBW
Feels like a level designed by Nintendo

Kriken
Quite fun

Nohar
Perfect SMB3 level. Feels like it's been made by Nintendo.

ramparter
Could pass for a SMB3-2 level.

So my vote goes like this :

1. Nohar
2. BGBW
3. ramparter
Am I in the contest as well ? I think my stage is in Group 1 for the World 1-1 as well ? Did you get a chance to play it ? :)

I made a level the other day that I think is pretty neat but I haven't posted it to Gaf yet. I wanted to use saws and conveyor belts to simulate moving on a train. I think it came out pretty well.

Level code is 925C-0000-0051-8290

It's fun but it's a bit tricky. Give it a try if you want.

KooopaKid

Banned
GAF, please play and criticize my levels:

Here's my feedback :

Super Mario World 1-0.5
Quite good but I again feel like I'm missing half the level. I know ot's a 1-1 but it's too easy for me too enjoy.

Circular Platforms 3
Excellent level. The best of the bunch easily. Nothing to say but good things. Lots of variety for such a "limited" concept.

Feather 1-1
Cool level but not as memorable as Circular Platforms 3. Too many feathers given and a general lack of focus or interesting "gimmick".

Paulie_C

Neo Member
3-up Chance!
39D5-0000-005D-4E01

Here's a simple level I threw up earlier. The idea has probably been done before (and better) but let me know.

massoluk

Banned
I'm making a level where there's a pseudo-checkpoint right now.
You get to a point, and there's a door that leads to above where the level started that points to an invisible coin block, so you know for next time. But you can only see the arrow pointing to it from the door.

An idea that I'm stealing, thanks.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
That's a spoiler! ;)

Did you die?

I did but found it way too short and simple. Sorry ^ ^.

Cool cool. Thanks for the feedback ! I figured since it's 1-1, I wanted to keep it REAL simple, haha... maybe too simple, but I wouldn't be surprised that Mario noobs don't even know how to use the run button in combination with jump. If you have a moment then, would you have time to play my Flappy Mario level that I posted earlier ? The secret area should provide some better challenges for Mario pros such as yourself :)

jmizzal

Just had a go there. Decent level, give it a star. Though there's a couple of blind jumps one at the start after the Thowmps and right at the end. Were they intentional?

No there were not intentional, me knowing the level when I replayed it, I didnt realize that end one would seem like a blind jump since you can see the wall and pipe on the other side, but I can understand how it can come across to a new player

Mr-Joker

Banned
I uploaded another level called "Thwomp to me Baby"

Please check it out. A734-0000-005D-9413

Now I can only upload 4 more levels until I get more stars to unlock the ability to upload more, I really wish that Nintendo didn't do that as I am at the mercy of people's kindness.

Because sometime they finish the level but not leave a star. :(

jholmes

Monty's Grinder Winder: C1FA-0000-005A-975F

Any feedback is appreciated.

Good stage, really tough but well plotted out. I don't like the mushroom block at the start being flush with the edge of the stage -- it's a really artificial restraint on the player's movement -- but that's a minor thing and I liked the level a lot!

Reposting from yesterday! My 'Gravity Manor' level has gotten really positive reviews guys, feels good! 14 stars out of 19 people played is nice!

Gravity Manor
ID: C2FC-0000-0059-4C5C

A lot of people are using this flipping gimmick but this might be the stage doing it best -- I especially love the thwomps! I'd rather that the P-block area have P-blocks that weren't accessible from the other side, and I don't know how I feel about requiring a fire flower to beat the stage when you can lose it and it doesn't replenish. I also think the first part of the stage doesn't play well with the camera. I definitely recommend this stage though, anyone who did a flipping stage should see what ohNoitsRO got right here.

I uploaded another level called "Thwomp to me Baby"

Please check it out. A734-0000-005D-9413

Now I can only upload 4 more levels until I get more stars to unlock the ability to upload more, I really wish that Nintendo didn't do that as I am at the mercy of people's kindness.

Because sometime they finish the level but not leave a star. :(

I mean it works, but it's more part of a stage than a whole stage. Putting this after a much easier intro would help flesh it out. You certainly got the jumping placement down but this isn't a level so much as a proof o concept -- it's over well before you know it.

Ranger X

I think I'm done with my series "Easier With The Mushroom".

There's 4 levels, the concept is to keep and to not lose the mushroom. If you lose it you will still be able to complete the course but its hard.

STAGE 1 - (CDBD-0000-0054-89A7)

- Finish it with the mushroom.
- Get to the sub-level.
- Finish the level without the mushroom.

WVW69iZ5qJgjM-Oioa

STAGE 2 - (AD5E-0000-0054-9394)

- Finish it using the red shell.
- Have you found the sub-level?

WVW69iZ5ww8qIYBt1p

STAGE 3 - (5C69-0000-004E-96F4)

- Finish it without the mushroom. (hard)
- Can you get 40 coins?

WVW69iZqU5oEwEhvTj

STAGE 4 - (7DD0-0000-005B-BB8A)

- Finish without the mushroom.
- Kill Bowser with a star.
- Find the "Fish Cannon Room"

WVW69iaNJGIquRzC2h

Any feedback is appreciated.
I also do "stars for stars". Star my levels I stars yours.

I'm going to replug this one, the few people that played it seemed to be positive about it and I would like some more feedback.

Title: The Grand Boo Hotel
ID: FCCA-0000-004F-10BC

NNID: tshadowknight

Description: Did you know that Mario used to moonlight as a building inspector? One thing's for sure, reviewing this place will take some work!

Features:
-Not much misdirection at all, despite being a ghost house. Just a puzzle and some platforming.
-3 one-ups to collect
-an alternate route to the exit, see if you can find it!

Difficulty: Medium

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Gotta ask again: How do you use Amiibos with this game? When do you touch them to the screen? Nothing happens when I try doing so when making levels.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
No there were not intentional, me knowing the level when I replayed it, I didnt realize that end one would seem like a blind jump since you can see the wall and pipe on the other side, but I can understand how it can come across to a new player

I guessed the right way! - It's something I'd probably miss when making my own levels.

Brand new course! Those with a fear of heights need not apply. :)

Mario Goes Skyward (BB6C-0000-005C-00C5)

aPSTgiP.jpg

tXgDoq1.jpg

Feedback would be greatly appreciated as always!

NeonZ

Gotta ask again: How do you use Amiibos with this game? When do you touch them to the screen? Nothing happens when I try doing so when making levels.

Have you ever used Amiibos with the Wii U? You don't place the Amiibos on the screen, but on that window silhouette drawing on the lower left of the controller.

andymcc

Banned

you touch them to the little NFC point to the bottom left part of the controller.

you'll be given a question mark mushroom that you can shake for which amiibo you want to use i think.

(mat)

Quoting for a new page. Hoping to get some more eyes on this to let me know if the puzzle section feels natural or too cryptic. Don't mind the generic screen cap.

Nothing quite says "fun" like waiting for a mushroom, walking slowly to the right, and reading! Sign me up!

Protome

I finished off my Airship level, I have some issues with it but I'm overall pretty happy with how it turned out! I'd appreciate some feedback on this one if anyone is interested in giving some, I want to iterate on it a bit.

1-4: Airship Assault
4B08-0000-005D-BC75
A3cMXm0.jpg

My older levels:
Protome said:
1-2 (SMB3)
8EE0-0000-002F-24DC

1-3 (SMB3)
D728-0000-004F-C452

Fish Salesman Lakitu (SMB3)
FFCC-0000-001F-D14D

Edit: Also, I'm following most of the people on this page and the one before now, so I'll be running through a bunch of your levels. I'll leave comments on them here and there if I have any feedback :)

KDR_11k

WVW69iaTibUaEnCHCX

1A31-0000-005D-C3B2

Airship Factory
I wanted to go a bit more elaborate with what tracks can do. Fairly easy but not trivial. Unfortunately there's no autoscroll speed that exactly matches the path travel speed. I hope it'll at least serve as an inspiration to some.

-MB-

Made another level. But this time I was fresh out of ideas, so I decided to remake a level from the Great Giana Sisters game on C64/Amiga. Tried to replicate it as accurate as possible.

Great Giiana Sisters lvl 24

ID: FFE8-0000-005D-CC9A

HZHwSkJ.jpg

So, if the game did get checkpoints in the form of items, what would they look like in each version?

I remember SMW hackers used an edit of the SMB All-Stars version goal point for checkpoints and it looked real nice.
SMB3 didn't have checkpoints, so they would have to make some original ones.

I can easily see checkpoints and easier search functions being the first patch.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Have you ever used Amiibos with the Wii U? You don't place the Amiibos on the screen, but on that window silhouette drawing on the lower left of the controller.
you touch them to the little NFC point to the bottom left part of the controller.

you'll be given a question mark mushroom that you can shake for which amiibo you want to use i think.

LOL, thanks. Total fail from me. I was touching them to the screen.

correojon

I made a rare level, hope you guys enjoy it.
mHKsfPg.png

Cast
Mario as the Chosen Undead
Green Koopa as Oscar, Knight of Astora
Goombas as Hollows
Fire Flower as bonfire
Piranha Plant as Hollow Archer
Shell as shield
Feather as sword
Red Bom-omb as rock
Black Bomb-ombs as Undead Asylum F2 East Key
Spiky as Hollow Soldier
Flying Mega Bowser as Asylum Demon
I tried to replicate the level as faithfully as possible and I´m prety happy with the result.

Here's my feedback :
Super Mario World 1-0.5
Quite good but I again feel like I'm missing half the level. I know ot's a 1-1 but it's too easy for me too enjoy.
Yeah, you´re supposed to play it twice. At the start of the level there are two ways to take; one will focus on the feather and the other on the flower and they won´t come together until the end...

Circular Platforms 3
Excellent level. The best of the bunch easily. Nothing to say but good things. Lots of variety for such a "limited" concept.
Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

Feather 1-1
Cool level but not as memorable as Circular Platforms 3. Too many feathers given and a general lack of focus or interesting "gimmick".
Yeah, this was going to be my entry for the community contest focusing on the feather, but the result was too simple. I also overdid it on the easy part.

I´ll try yours in a moment and post back.

Sölf

I made a rare level, hope you guys enjoy it.

I tried to replicate the level as faithfully as possible and I´m prety happy with the result.

Played through it. If you know what is what, it's pretty awesome. :D
Sad you can't force a fight against Bowser at the second time. But anyways, pretty cool. :D

octopiggy

So I re-released my Nintendo Land level as something a bit more enticing:

Can You Find Totaka's Song? - Course ID - 9037-0000-0052-9EE8 - https://youtu.be/VYnzROl0Vqw

It makes the secret less of a surprise, ut I don't think anyone would find it unless I instructed them to try and find it. As always, if you enjoy the video I'd really appreciate it if you gave it a go yourself.

The less obvious version is in my OP along with a bunch of my other levels.

Rodin

Just finished and uploaded my first level, Mean Mario 1-1. It is inspired by some sections of Asshole Mario 3-9, but i don't have the switches so it is very different (i originally wanted to recreate that exact stage but it's currently impossible). The level is obviously hard and a bit unforgiving at some points, you need to be quite good at SMW but it's far from impossible. It may also be a bit rough, i'm still working on some basic aspects of level design so expect other levels to be more polished in the future.

Here is the id:

Mean Mario 1-1

ID: 9AAE-0000-005D-EBFB

Please try it out and let me know what you think, i need opinions to tweak my future levels so criticism is heavily encouraged.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My newest level:

Tried to make a vertical platforming stage, you don't really understand just how small the height limit is on these maps until you try creating one that goes up. Nobody has beat it yet but I don't think it's all that difficult, as long as you collect all of the powerups. I tried to make it so that each powerup will help you most in the next "segment" of the level.

RagnarokX

Okay, some people got confused by some parts of the level so I moved some things around.

jgoCWnh.jpg

Color-Coded Caverns (8ED7-0000-005D-D2E9)

lWVdG4o.jpg

fr1p4Lh.jpg

hjjdUz0.jpg

A continuation of Garden Garrison (B8EA-0000-004B-81DE). Mario takes the elevator found in the fortress he infiltrated to find an enormous cavern. The creatures within have adapted to the differently colored walls the cavern features.

(mat)

So I re-released my Nintendo Land level as something a bit more enticing:

Can You Find Totaka's Song? - Course ID - 9037-0000-0052-9EE8 - https://youtu.be/VYnzROl0Vqw

It makes the secret less of a surprise, ut I don't think anyone would find it unless I instructed them to try and find it. As always, if you enjoy the video I'd really appreciate it if you gave it a go yourself.

The less obvious version is in my OP along with a bunch of my other levels.

It sort of makes me really sad that you changed the title.

ChrisD

A turn-around rate AAA Publishers wish they had, Simple Sprinting Game of the Year Edition Re;Deluxe is finished.

ID: 6E34-0000-005D-F4DF

Changes:

-Length of the stage has been increased to nearly double!

-A 1-Up was relocated.

-Speedy path was made more clear for those who want to give it a shot.

-Time limit has been raised to 120 seconds to accommodate the longer stage.

-Colors of some things changed since I learned I could shake them to spice things up (lol).

-Single vine removed from the stage since it was totally out of place.

The stage can still be completed in twenty seconds, but it's much better than what I posted yesterday. It's not perfect (what is?), but I'm actually proud of it now. ^^

VandalD

BowieZ - Super Mario Adventure: World 1-1 = 56E3 0000 0040 BF67
Creative visual design. Introduces pits with a one block gap. Gives player a lot of practice jumping without failure meaning death. Optional areas for veterans. Can finish without running. This one is very strong.

PSqueak - Adventure 1-1 ~ Grass Outskirts = D782 0000 004D F33D

Has too many enemies next to each other for a proper 1-1, IMO. Starts out with goombas, then it's straight to koopas with a piranha poking out of a pipe and a bunch of goombas. I suppose the point is to show that shells can kill plants, but that might be a bit much for a new player. Can finish without running. Not bad to run through at full speed.

NetMapel - Basic Introduction = 5D10-0000-0029-1236
The low height of the first blocks might encourage newbies to jump on top of them rather than going below and getting the mushroom. Then the goomba might end up killing them because it's hard to stomp on it. Can finish this level without running, but there is not really anything here for someone already familiar with Mario.

Orgen - Underground Tutorials = E556-0000-0058-E139
I like the idea of a sub area for tutorials, but I don't think almost forcing running, wall jumping, and P-switches so quickly wouldd work out for new players, and so I don't think this would be a good start for someone completely new to playing Mario, though I did enjoy it. Just barely finishable without running.

jamesmccloud = Super Mario GAFWorld 1-1 = CD0C-0000-004A-C8AF
A new player wouldn't necessarily know to stomp on koopas and kick their shells into the goombas, and even if they did, even veterans can have trouble jumping over or stomping on a moving turtle shell, and the exit out of that section is guarded by a piranha plant. It's all a bit too much to start with. Can finish without running, and there are things for veterans to find, but I think a few sections may be a little bit overwhelming for new players.

VandalD = Stroll through the Mole Hill = DCDD-0000-0039-F97B
I don't think I can properly criticise my own level, so I thought I'd just post my thoughts on how it was made. I made this stage before I noticed the contest, but as I said in the post, I think it works well. I feel the moles are introduced properly. The very first one cannot hurt you if you don't move and will eventually fall into a hole where you can easily kill it. The second mole will either chase the player backwards, or forward into a pit it can't get past, and will again get stuck for an easy kill. The third and fourth moles will likely pop up on both sides of you, making things a bit more dangerous, but whether the player has been paying attention to moles and notices they can't jump, or they're just good at killing moles, this section shouldn't give too many problems. Platforms are then introduced (and not really utilized past this point) and the location of a secret area is teased. A veteran player could plow through this area and include a few wall jumps to keep momentum going.

Giant moles are introduced. If the player has become more confident, they may either have run past it before it popped up, or is ready to jump on it as soon as it comes up. Players who pause at seeing the dirt being flung cannot be hurt by the giant mole, giving another easy kill. Coins tease a jumping section that might encourage new players to learn how to run and jump, while veterans may have already gotten across. Newbies will likely fall here, and either proceed right (to a pointless section unless you've fallen from above) where they'll have to deal with a regular and giant mole. But again, since neither can jump, they're fairly easily avoided or dealt with.

Below this is where things get more difficult, with giant moles attacking from both sides and a low ceiling. If the player paused to see what popped out first, they would be able to deal with both moles one at a time. If the player did not pause, but waited on the second, they'd be in a tougher situation with the low ceiling and moles on both sides. If they pushed through both moles popping out, again, the moles are easily avoided because they can't jump.

Further in, there's a mole with wings jumping against a wall that you have to go up and around. This should properly introduce that there are now moles that can jump, and will do so continuously. This is where the level can likely fall apart as far as a 1-1 goes. There's a mushroom above the first winged mole that probably should've been a fire flower to at least give the player another hit, but also to show how helpful flowers can be in dealing with difficult enemies. Missed opportunity. The ground above the first jumping mole lets you see how they move before having to deal with one. Then when you drop down, you'll be alone with it until you deal with it, unless you decide to press on immediately. Then comes the giant jumping mole, who pretty quickly jumps up the ground-stairs and so needs to be dealt with quickly. Above all of this is more teasing of secret areas that require wall jumping and possibly jumping off moles for more height.

To end it, the top of the flag pole can only be reached by jumping off of a jumping mole, or by going through secret areas. So, secrets teased for veterans and newbies that lead to 1-ups, pretty fun to run through as a veteran with all the wall jumping (IMO, of course, hard to detach yourself from "I made this level and so it is fun."), and it's beatable without running. In fact, you're better off being either very slow or very fast in this level until the very end. The one weak point I feel it has is that the jumping moles at the end may be too difficult for a brand new player.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other people think of these levels.

jholmes

Figured I'd point anyone interested to another level I found out in the random wilderness of Super Mario Maker. This Japanese guy called R2D2 (possibly not his real name) made a level that attempts to replicate the boss rush rooms of the Mega Man series. He does this without the Mega Man amiibo though, opting for fire flowers to allow Mario to shoot. The level's not as polished as I'd like it -- he couldn't seem to figure out how to fit all eight rooms into one stage, so he just ends the level with a great big "TO BE CONTINUED" over the flagpole, as just one example -- but there's a lot of neat ideas here, so anyone interested might as well give it a look.

WVW69iaMs5cIN-FydR

ロックマンみたいなコース1(2につづく) -- C51B-0000-005B-8FB2

The Color Dimension (8F91-0000-005A-39AA)
Sequel to The White Dimension. To bring more variety, I made rooms based on different colors: white, orange, blue and black.

XvAhQxw.png
viZ75Y7.png
VttExtw.png

Boo's Treasure Cove (751E-0000-0054-0347)
Underwater level with a little twist, I tried my best to make it feel pleasant and quick to traverse. Can you find the treasure?

tpu30dV.png
9gjiPGy.png
cUxJLf8.png

Bydobob

Yoshi's Origins
ID: 51D6-0000-004E-4261
Only one star out of 9 plays :( I don't think this level is too hard, could use some more feedback on it

Don't worry too much about stars, I'm also doing crap on that front! Just look at those occupying the leaderboard, people clearly look for different things in their levels. I just hope Nintendo don't pay too much heed and give us an auto-Mario game next time...

Anyhow, on to your level, which I'm afraid is going to be quite critical.

Negative:

Stuck. At the first secret room I had to restart, with my fire Mario getting stuck between a 1-tile high passage with nowhere to go. I tried this again to see if I was missing something but got stuck again in the same place. Eventually I worked out what needed to be done, but you shouldn't get stuck while figuring it out.

The level doesn't flow too naturally. For example, you've got a decidedly short and simple platforming section with caterpillars and Goombas trapped in walls. You think "I need to unlock this place" before realising it's just a red herring. The P coming out of the pipe turns out to be for the spinning yellow blocks that you completely forgot about on the way up. I like puzzles, but this one doesn't feel intuitive.

Talking of red herrings, you have a lot of vines that seem to lead somewhere but don't, whereas you have a lot of spikes that Yoshi can walk on but wouldn't be obvious to everyone. Perhaps a good idea would be a forced introduction onto the spikes so players discover naturally that Yoshi can walk on spikes.

The skull ride is well-designed section but requires no input and feels out of kilter with the rest of the level. That's a lot of space on the level you could have used for some platforming, which there isn't enough of for my tastes.

Not sure about:

Some design decisions seem heavy-handed. You have a couple of 1 tile pipe exits leading directly onto springs, presumably to stop people re-entering the previous room. I've always thought that if the level is interesting enough you'll want to carry on and not even think about backtracking. There are lots of places for Yoshi to fall off meaning you've compensated by having lots of them to call on. I had a similar dilemma with my level but preferred to design my platforms so Yoshi couldn't easily run off a ledge when he is hurt.

Positive:

One of the best looking user-created levels I've seen. Very clean look, lots of variety and detail. No coins though, how come?

I made a level the other day that I think is pretty neat but I haven't posted it to Gaf yet. I wanted to use saws and conveyor belts to simulate moving on a train. I think it came out pretty well.

Level code is 925C-0000-0051-8290

It's fun but it's a bit tricky. Give it a try if you want.

You definitely achieved what you set out to, train looks like it's moving! Not a fan of the hidden block near the start which I doubt many will find on their first go. Otherwise it was short, simple and fun.

Neki

Made a new map!
Super Rosalina Galaxy 3EC5-0000-005D-FFED
Rosalina has caught up to Bowser's fleet and must free all her stars before confronting Bowser himself.

Any feedback is welcome.

Top Bottom