• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Oh I feel bad now. So many yoshis, just gone.

Clever design though, gave me quite a few ideas for my next attempt at my Yoshi fire stage.

Haha, thanks! I'll have to check out yours too. I have some ideas for a sequel to my stage but I could always use more.

jholmes

Thwomps are always frowning. But what if Thwomps were fun? Well, then you'd have Thwomp Romp!

WVW69icCjBYfuZu9lV

32D5-0000-007E-3417

I've been making levels a little bit outside of my comfort zone lately but I feel like this one is back in my wheelhouse. It's a quick, kinda easy introduction to Thwomps. Hopefully you guys enjoy, and feedback is always welcome. This is another one where I've thrown down the speedrun gauntlet: I did this in 20 seconds. Can you?

So I've been working pretty hard on this level to get the feel right... Since Game and Watch is my favorite Smash character, it was only fitting that I try to recreate his gallery games!

Simply named:

"Game and Watch Gallery"
ID: C8BC-0000-007D-B926

I'm planning on doing a series with about four mini games in each stage. This one started off with the original four from the first gallery game. I'd love to hear any feedback on this, as I think the last part might be a bit too hard..

Fantastic stage but yes, Oil Panic is too hard, particularly the last room, and that being at the very end of a pretty long stage hurts it. That said people ate up Octopiggy's WarioWare stage so I have no idea why this isn't getting more attention. It's really good!

Davy Jones' Bones

(EE4E-0000-007C-B083)

WVW69ib9akAVYzrVAC

It's really tough and you paired mushrooms everywhere and cranked down the time, so I guess you wanted this to be a gauntlet, and that's how it feels. Two specific notes I would make are that the chasing dry bones at the start are really a lot for the very beginning of the stage (I think people underestimate how hard SMW dry boneses can be) and the mushroom in the spike room is really hard to get without bouncing down hard off the question block into the spike below. The rest was hard but manageable, which is something considering how vertical everything is and how hard it all is. But did I have fun? Why yes I did.

I also played Tanooki City Sewer. I liked it quite a bit, but I also thought especially in the first half there's just so many mushrooms everywhere, and yet they aren't there when you actually need them. I also really don't like decorative vines and this level is a good reason why: I was trying to run away from cheap cheaps but Mario clung to them, and I was dead. But the visuals are fantastic, the feeling of emerging from the sewers is sublime and I love how you aped the feel of underwater currents with the conveyor belts. How you guys come up with this stuff, I dunno.

Was going to make a level named You're In Hot Water. It wouldn't let me. Took me a minute to see why. Instead:

The Water Is Hot
709F-0000-007D-F2B4

It's my first water level. It's meant to be on the difficult side, but it should feel fair. Let me know what you think. I'll play some levels here in the meantime.

It is tough and it is fair. I love how the fire bars look and work, although they stretch pretty far! Definitely nails the SMB3 exploration feel. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Recommended for anyone who likes swimming and isn't scared of a bit of a challenge.

Here's what I worked on all day:

Mountain Climb
2411-0000-007E-3BE0

My attempt to create a vertical stage.

This stage feels like it's really hard and I should ding it for that, especially with the tough jumps so early, but I beat it on my first try without any real issues, so maybe not! You try to do a lot in this level, in my mind too much, but some people are going to love the jumping-plus-boss-plus-puzzle thing, so I'm not going to tell them not too, although it runs a tad long. I'd love to play a precision platforming level from you though, it seems like you've got that part down pat. Definitely stood out from the crowd!

Kebiinu

Banned
Finally finished my latest stage! Took a little while due to work and other priorities. Check it out! I think you'll find the aesthetics pleasing, and gameplay solid!

Piranha Swamp Romp!
M8KdL9M.jpg
Zj63hsl.jpg

Within the marshes of Mushroom Kingdom, one can easily encounter this lethal swamp. The species that inhabit the swamp are incredibly territorial, with murky waters full of vines that are easy to get tangled in, and narrow passageways that make it difficult for our hero to relax and catch his breath.

Fortunately, the path out this fatal marsh is a linear one, along with a few secrets that may aid in your exit, don't count our hero out just yet!

Stage I.D: 1A9E-0000-007E-5063

Feedback is always appreciated! I'll edit this post with feedback of prior levels, on this page!

Wow everyone, I've been really busy lately and just booted my Wii U up for the first time in weeks and I'm blown away by all the feedback on my level. I think I had 4 stars last time I booted up and now I'm up to 28! Over 90 people have played the level I entered, pretty sure that was less than 10 last time I saw. I also saw a couple members went out of their way to comment and critique the level, I really can't thank you all enough. I'll make sure to make some time tomorrow (later today?) to play all of the levels from this round. Do people usually not vote in the same round their level is in? Haha. Anyway, thanks again everyone.

correojon

Guys, how are you doing with the stars/uploaded levels? I thought I was going to run into problems when I could only upload 10, but after I unlocked the second medal I always have had many more slots than levels. Currently I´m at 18/30 and I think I´ll unlock the next medal long before I manage to upload 30 levels. What about you?

KeRaSh

Guys, how are you doing with the stars/uploaded levels? I thought I was going to run into problems when I could only upload 10, but after I unlocked the second medal I always have had many more slots than levels. Currently I´m at 18/30 and I think I´ll unlock the next medal long before I manage to upload 30 levels. What about you?

I think I am sitting on 9/30 levels with 185 stars when I checked last night. I don't think I will hit a wall anytime soon.

one_kill

Thought I'd re-post my levels for anyone interested

Rush: 0A57-0000-001B-18C3
The first level my brother and I created.

Airship Assault: BCEB-0000-005B-097F
This level features multiple pathways that feature different challenges. Do you choose to get on the clown car and tackle the path above or try your luck on foot? Do you choose to go the path designed for small Mario or the one for Super Mario?

A ghastly build: CA60-0000-005E-BFD5
This level was inspired by the Builder Mario skin. You'll be hitting shells that fly towards question blocks that spawn vines, using bombs to clear the way, hitting P switches to turn coins into platforms, and clearing out thwomps with the help of your trusty helmet.

Becoming Little Mac: 0BF4-0000-006A-1AE4
You start off as Mario who, after a series of training sessions and bouts, becomes Little Mac.

Runnin' & Jumpin' feat. lotsa $$: 6FE7-0000-0074-CF09
A really short level you are meant to run through.

Welcome to the Star Show: 1CBE-0000-0079-6BE2
Enjoy the star show! Just watch and do nothing else.

10 seconds to finish: 08F9-0000-007C-6742
As the level's name implies, you only have 10 seconds to finish the course.

Putosaure

Hey, here's my fourth level... as always, the death only come when you miss a jump ! Some sweet right to left action.

WVW69ib_NKIXvDrUUf

Alternative Current

(6944-0000-007D-7ABD)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Time again for feedbacks on 1-1 levels from the Competition groups!

Dinosaur Plains

38AD-0000-003E-BB8B

This is a good attempt for a 1-1 level, and you can feel the World inspiration and overall feeling. But I would've liked more secrets aside from
the small bonus area at the beginning
. Still, good job.

1-1 Galoomba Hills

D176-0000-0048-CA3C

I liked your level. The only thing I'd really edit is the beginning, or better
how the pipe is too high that it need the player to jump. Destroying blocks would leve you stuck. Since the entire level is made of multiple layers (and neat layers!), maybe you should've had the pipe leaving a passage under it...it would've been an early introduction to the multiple layers' concept
. Also, great ending section, very fun :D

Pesca 1-1

(1597-0000-0014-8573)

Very good SMB-like level. As said earlier, maybe you should've had more secrets (like the real SMB 1-1), but it plays pretty well and its difficulty is right for a 1-1 level.

Koopa Trails (Level 1-1)
Stage ID: 427A-0000-0051-51C6

Good 1-1: I like the aesthetics, how clean it is, the good bonus area, the secret in the sky. Also, very SMB3-like

Super Climber Bros. 1-1
Code: 69A6-0000-0055-404A

Unusual for sure, but this still seems like a 1-1 after all, since it's not difficult (it lacks pits as well...maybe you should've put one/two pits to start introducing the concept to the player, but this is a nitpick given the concept behind your level). Interesting concept, great execution. One of the most original 1-1 I've played among the GAF-made levels.

1-1 Summer Stroll
0953-0000-0057-B859

Fun, well done, good flow overall. But, maybe,
there could have been more to do with the Spiny shell, especially near the end
. Still, good job.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Grime

24BB-0000-005A-B5A5

A bit too short and more based on a mere costume (not moves) change, but it was neat for sure.

1-1, A Bit of Fun!

ID: 1BFC-0000-0059-FF42

Quite good, with secrets, possibilities of speed runs...my only complaint is that
I think Lakitus and, above all, Bowser Jr. are a bit too much for an introduction level - even if the latter is an optional enemy

1-1 Koopa Field
FACB-0000-004E-F5CE

Pretty neat, very 1-1ish, decent bonus area, easy but fun to play...It wouldn't be so out of place in a real Mario game. Pretty good job.

Mpl90

Guys, a question. I'm almost done with my 1-1 level, and it features some speed-run challenges. Now, since I want to inform players about that, how can I leave comments in specific parts of the levels? I don't know how to do that yet, unfortunately XD

correojon

Guys, a question. I'm almost done with my 1-1 level, and it features some speed-run challenges. Now, since I want to inform players about that, how can I leave comments in specific parts of the levels? I don't know how to do that yet, unfortunately XD

I think you can only comment after uploading the level. Then, just play through it, pause at the desired spot and leave a comment there.

alcabcucu

Be brave and get 50 coins
ID: DF89-0000-002D-0183
Vïdeos: Find the 50 coins (1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsFAatUns0
Speedrun test without ítems (1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knTfvXegfe0

Be brave and get 50 coins (2)
ID: 5084-0000-0037-64ED
Videos:
Find the 50 coins (2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GWAeg4BGTI
Speedrun without ítems (2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn8zs7NyQfw

Be brave and get 50 coins (3)
ID: C115-0000-0047-479B
Videos:
Find the 50 coins (3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJWwYDzTiw
Speedrun without ítems (3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG4VZ70HsAY

Be brave and get 50 coins saga offers two challenges. You can explore and try to find the 50 coins, or you can try to do a speedrun without using any item. In the last level you can fight Bowser, but only if you want to find all the coins.

Bowser's Crazy Castle (for pros)
ID: 6ED9-0000-006C-5E5A
Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhkhbZhBs4
Don't move at the beginning of the level -you won't die- and observe the patterns of enemies and obstacles.

The Last of Us, Koopas
ID: 4821-0000-006C-794B
Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHyjzdLbHM
This level has a secret exit, but it is not easy to find.

Toad's Bad Fur Day
ID: 3F74-0000-007E-72AD
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEFhjtIrcWo
Toad's psychotropical adventure in the search of the meaning of his own life. He will discover the truth about himself, only if he has the guts to do it. And maybe the player will learn the truth about himself, too. Combat against Bowser is needed to fully grasp the real meaning of this level.

The Five Trials of Heaven (or Hell)
ID: 8B85-0000-007E-82ED
This level synthesises some of the ideas in my previous levels. You can do one trial and then exit the level, or continue with the next one. There's even a secret exit so that you can skip all the challenges.

Trial 5 - The hardest one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChG2uumM7Aw

Trial 1 - The easiest one, if you know how to kill Bowser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq2HTPez9tA

Trials 3 and 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDfD2wFkW8

Trial 4 and secret exit - Flower is needed to find the secret exit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tzh5DSDDak

BR.

chrixter

Fiery Clown Car Escape
(2FFF-0000-0079-05A3)
Fun level. I've been working on something quite similar that I hope to finish soon so it was interesting for me to see a different approach to this concept. I do wish the game offered more autoscrolling speeds, though. Something in between medium and fast, at least.

My latest level!

Tick Tock Clock Shop

ID: 71BD-0000-007A-E87B
Another great level from you! Fantastic aesthetic. Easy, as you said, which made it feel like I was mostly just touring the level, which is not necessarily bad. Really enjoyed it nonetheless.

CMO

Neo Member
Anyone want to try out some of my stages?

This one is called "Let Go Of Yoshi!"
ID: A01F-0000-007B-F93B
Have fun sacrificing a whole bunch of Yoshies to bottomless pits!

This one I made today, "Ghostly Shoes".
ID: B7B6-0000-007E-79CF
I tried to make a stage were you have to travel the same path several times, but with different power-ups. Unfortunately I found out that you can't bring a P-switch while in a shoe, so I had to change my plan half way through... I hope it's still fun, any feedback is appreciated!

Will try out some stages from you guys later today!

I'm at 5/20 with some 111 stars. I don't really forsee an issue on my end.

Naar

hey guys im gonna be streaming more levels from you in about 1 hour.

Quote me to see list and add your stage to the google doc i made

I will be splitting my play session in 2. I will play in an hour and then again later in the day (i will update time later)

I dont mind any kind of level. but i enjoy ones with platforming skills the most

Molemitts

Nice level, I can see a lot of work went into this, the section with the moving p switch was especially cool. Lakitu is the devil though, I would avoid using him, especially in confined spaces near the end of a long level.
I've also made a level with a factory theme if you're interested, it's called Frantic Factory. It's a straight platformer rather than a puzzle level, quite hard but short so persevere!

9FDC-0000-0043-C318

Thanks. I was planning on having a Bowser fight at the end but you would defeat him by dropping bombs down on him. It didn't really work out so I just put a Lakitu right at the end with the intention that you could just run past it anyway. Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely check out your level.

Really enjoyed this level. I like the various puzzles and overall design. Despite being a simple mechanic, for some reason I enjoyed timing the jump to get the mushroom early on in the level.

Yeah that was one of my first ideas, which got me to base the level around a factory. Thanks for the response!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I played a course yesterday in giant CRT Mario mode, and there was Luigis everywhere. Luigis coming out of cannons, Luigis riding Dry Bones, Luigis as magicians, Luigis on a cloud throwing Luigis, it was insane lol. Didn't know that CRT mode did that.

Thud

I will be splitting my play session in 2. I will play in an hour and then again later in the day (i will update time later)

I dont mind any kind of level. but i enjoy ones with platforming skills the most

I added one of my favorites to the list, it has a bit of speed and platforming mixed in it.

I'll be sure to play your levels soon :)

@OneUpGamer Thanks for the stream, rewatched it this morning. You did a great job clearing my level, only a few have done that before :p.

correojon

Great, added my latest level, hope you enjoy it!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

Nice. I added my Bouncy Buddy stage. One stage per user btw?

Wow, I'm at 8/10 with about 32 stars. My next two levels better pander well! (and be well made and not lazy times)

I think its a combination of getting neogaf to try my levels to get them off the ground and just having my last few levels generally be well received. You'll definitely hit a stride though.

Its also easier to get people to play your levels when you only promote one at a time I find.

That's a nice average.

I have something over 300 with currently 18 uploaded courses (20 in total).

Solid. Maybe one day I'll have the motivation to make more levels. I know you played a couple of mine and left comments on miiverse. I gotta return the favour haha

correojon

Wow, I'm at 8/10 with about 32 stars. My next two levels better pander well! (and be well made and not lazy times)

Getting 50 stars was the hardest for me, but once I got them I´ve achieved a nice constant stream of stars and been hitting higher marks with less problems (currently at 250ish stars). Try making some simpler levels which everyone can enjoy and finish, those will provide a steady flow of stars.

If you want to I can play some of your levels and provide feedback.

Simbabbad

Your Brinstar level was actually quite cool, I just didn't know how to get the first upgrade (or actually any upgrade at all). I'm sure I missed something. If you could clue me in on how to get the first upgrade I would very much appreciate it :)
I copied my previous post and answered your question as a comment to your YouTube video:

You missed the first powerup in the chain at 1:03:55, in that room you have two ways to jump to the mushroom generator pipe: you can either jump on the buzzy beetle when it gets close to the wall, or indirectly manipulate the thwomp so that it creates a brick block bridge to the mushroom. From there, you can use your new ability to break brick blocks to get another powerup, etc.

But in the context, I understand why you missed it. It was quite risky to make a traditional powerup chain in Super Mario Maker, I guess many people stumbling on my level in the 100 Mario Challenge won't get it despite the clues, it sort of goes against the flow of that mode.

Thud

Solid. Maybe one day I'll have the motivation to make more levels. I know you played a couple of mine and left comments on miiverse. I gotta return the favour haha

I don't even remember which stage I played of yours. Maybe a screen will juggle my memory hehe.

I made a lot of stages in the first two weeks. Many need to be revised sooner or later. Funny thing is, I have less stages in my coursebot than are available online. That way if I want to go back and improve it, I'll have to start over from scratch or use the most recent one as a building block. That's how I made my Dawn stages :p.

This game is so interesting, because of how different people approach designing and gameplay. Which was not at all apparent (at least to me) when I played these Mario games before.

KooopaKid

Banned
An idea for a future patch to help filter and find the quality content : search by time spent on creating a level, should be quite easy to track (not counting idle time of course).
If a level is reuploaded from an old one, display the old time spent in parathesis.

urfe

Getting 50 stars was the hardest for me, but once I got them I´ve achieved a nice constant stream of stars and been hitting higher marks with less problems (currently at 250ish stars). Try making some simpler levels which everyone can enjoy and finish, those will provide a steady flow of stars.

If you want to I can play some of your levels and provide feedback.

I'm at 35 now. Looking at it, I have hits and misses.

This one below was a super hard one that has done average:

This one below is my most popular level, impossible to die:

This one below was a complete dud, and I don't get why. Too simplistic? Too hard?

Give them (or one) a try if you have time! Im taking a break from making while work is busy, and want to ensure my next level is great so I'll probably try to get some inspiration from GAF.

You just blew my mind in that I should consciously decide on what to show in the preview.

I'm working on a level right now where I realized the level map showed a big empty area that I wasn't using, so I put up some big semisolid platforms to make it look like an open cave or something, and a series of mushrooms of different sizes and shapes. Just to look interesting!

Haganeren

I have made a fun little level :

Sewer of Vine City.

This is an exploration-based level where i tried to make coherent thing the best i could. It's not too hard and there is two way fo finish the level :

- The normal way which have one "kinda" hard moment.
- The secret way which makes you visit anothers parts of the city which is a bit easier.

It's a really simple level from a difficulty standpoint, go come and test !

WVW69icFLQ0IsV8l6l

Code:
04CA 0000 007E B8E1

( I wonder how everyone is doing their screenshot, the only thing i have for that is the miiverse which gave me this horrible jpg )

Oidisco

Re-uploaded my new level with some slight changes and a different name.

Monty Mole's Chargin' Chomps
E47E-0000-007E-F5FA
wiiu_screenshot_gamep9dukr.jpg

Feedback would be appreciated. I'm never sure if I've got the difficulty right for my levels, and this one more than ever feels a little off to me.

Seiniyta

Uploaded my easiest and shortest level to date. Though it still has an abysmall completion rate: can you beat it?

WVW69ib_vq4rGVY6RO

Koopa X-1: 16A1-0000-007D-A1FD

Whoever leaves feedback/comment on Miiverse I'll check their latest level out and give feedback on theirs

KingBroly

Banned
Man...the levels I've played in Expert over the past few hours have been hot garbage. Enemy spam, blind jumps galore, no methodology behind placement of obstacles, etc. Just bad design constantly.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I just finished upgrading to a new computer. I want to give it a whirl with my streaming setup, so I'm streaming Mario Maker again and trying out new GAF levels since I haven't touched the game in a few days. Quote this post with a specific level code and I'll play it on stream in about half an hour if you want.

Model 500

I just finished upgrading to a new computer. I want to give it a whirl with my streaming setup, so I'm streaming Mario Maker again and trying out new GAF levels since I haven't touched the game in a few days. Quote this post with a specific level code and I'll play it on stream in about half an hour if you want.

Would love to see how you play this:

Jumpman to the Rescue
C664-0000-0047-837E

For additional challenge, try to finish it in 20 secs or under, no power ups, shortcuts or invisibilty frames required, just find the right gaps in enemy placement, etc.

vikki

Uploaded my easiest and shortest level to date. Though it still has an abysmall completion rate: can you beat it?

WVW69ib_vq4rGVY6RO

Koopa X-1: 16A1-0000-007D-A1FD

Whoever leaves feedback/comment on Miiverse I'll check their latest level out and give feedback on theirs

It's a great idea. I love the idea that you have to get through the stage asap, but I think it does need some challenging obstacles, because anyone can pretty much dash through the stage and beat it.

Mpl90

Sottoterra, a vostra scelta
D434-0000-0070-D8A6

Interested to see how do you play it :p

Top Bottom