• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

StayDead

The beginning of a series of levels I want to make. :>

oi08l1U.png

Nintenleo

My follow-up to my most starred level. It's called Sky Pirates Never Forget, and I hope you guys enjoy it.
I replayed it one hundred times to adjust everything to keep it fair and challenging. The last part is based on a concept that I think is still rather new and not very popular. Lots of secrets and a couple of bonus stages.

WVW69icgVQ8CcAqjqX

Sky Pirates Never Forget - (32F2-0000-0085-8537)

Good levels everyone, I'm trying to keep up with everyone but there are so many! B-Bech is my favorite for now :p

These are my new levels:

-Castle Rock-
ID: 75D5 - 0000 - 0087 - 7729

WVW69icnm8Iazbij5B

Defeat the powerful Thwomp army but remember to keep calm!

-The Twins' Battleship-
ID: 494F - 0000 - 0071 - 5F8C

WVW69ibU4NMiTN-W0W

The twins are attacking Mushroom Kingdom, save everyone with your platforming skills!

My older entries:

Tricky Tree

ID: 3A05 - 0000 - 004E - 4BDB

WVW69iZpn50t3jXTsZ

This is a fairly easy level with vertical level design. It's the one with more stars right now.

Super Mario Land 2: Macro Zone
ID: 7B13 - 0000 - 0037 - 8D43
The Experiment of Dr. Pianta (my favorite)
ID: 1297 - 0000 - 002F - 276B
Super Mario Land 2: Hippo Level
ID: 823A - 0000 - 002D - 338A

100% this, been playing from launch and only have 12 stars. Cannot upload any more levels.

People just dont star.

Honestly reading some of the comments back in the thread about people struggling to break 50 stars I feel more compelled to play levels from people trying to earn their first or second medal first. Post a level and I will give it a try and search the rest of your levels through the user function.

Starred it! Reached the top of the flag pole on my first try, you know what that mean ;)
Nothing unfair too which is great. Awaiting your feedback ;)

I started playing from your Super Mario Planets 1-1. I like it a lot, especially the ending. The way you position the blue skulls and arrange them to fly off the rails is great. My main dislike is the blind jump in the middle where you have to sacrifice Yoshi. I think most people will die once there before realising what to do.

WVW69icmstkSLO1epy

Stepping Bill Stones (05CF-0000-0087-36BC)

I actually had your idea when designing my own level. What I found was that except at the very start of the stage, its hard to get the bullet bills to come out correctly, so they are mainly useful to go up but not sideways. In the case of your stage, its mostly luck if the bills come up high enough before you hit the spikes. Didn't star this one since it was just too inconsistent. I also tried Short Stack and For Rachel to find a nice level to star. Both are ok but not great. You tend to overdo it a little with the enemies, ease up on them and it should be good.

What's everyone's criteria for starring levels? For me, as long as its fun/shows effort by the creator, I'll star it. Hard levels are fine as long as it is fun instead of frustrating.

Double

Thanks; glad you enjoyed it!

I used comments to help people without being too spoilery. I considered putting a comment about needing a POW block where you're supposed to use it but I thought the one behind the big dry bones was clue enough. Do you think I should put that comment? Or maybe a set of "Top Floor" "Bottom Floor" comments to drive home the idea that you take the elevator to the top then the stairs back down to the bottom...

I tried making my levels more challenging, but without an incentive to complete levels players are quick to give up. It's too bad we can string together levels so that you have to beat one to play the next. That way players have more reason to beat them.
Nah I think it was enough guidance. I was probably thrown off just because there was guidance before but not for the POW block, but I'd say that would rather make it too much guidance already instead of this once too less, it's okay to let the player work their mind and felt good when I realised what to do^^
About the Floor comments, I have to play your level again to see how that would feel.

Ya the missing option to string levels together is my biggest bummer with this game too, apart from checkpoints where at least one can work around like you do with the password setup.

Naar

hey guys im gonna be streaming in about 15 min on http://www.twitch.tv/naar82 but not playing user levels and more gonna comment on the levels that i played and caught my attention and replaying them.

basically i am sick of seeing all these badly designed levels and want to give my thoughts on what makes a good level

i dont expect myself to stream long. maybe 1-2 hours at most and replaying about 10 levels.

also if someone has the code for the 7 boss rush level that was SMB3 style i would very much appreciate that!

also the reason im not streaming new levels is because im starting to get repeats from you guys and so maybe give you guys a couple of days so i can play new ones :p

ohNOitsRO

New page self quote! Not enough plays on these levels :(

Hey guys wanted to share the final installment of the Game and Watch Gallery stages.

Game and Watch Gallery 3

40CA-0000-0083-0549

This one was the hardest to try to recreate minigames in the same spirit of the original.. I tried my best, and I'm happy with how it came out, but I feel like it could use some tweaks

Also, you can't just play the third one!

Game and Watch Gallery

6A2E-0000-0080-5FFE

Game and Watch Gallery 2

B764-0000-0080-912C

Keep em coming GAF I play a lot of the levels listed on these pages. Also, shiba thanks so much for streaming the levels again and sorry I couldn't watch last night. Friday's are a bit hectic for me lol. Watching now though.

Thud

Going through GAF's 1-1 stages, here's some feedback:

GAF World 1-1

The first screen should not contain a pitfall and I don't like that you need the spring to finish the level. You may want to put the vine a tile higher so big mario can breathe a bit more. The coins need to lure players towards the warp pipe more. Nice level with a few secrets.

Flowering Fields

I think it's really neat, very attractive with the flowers. They only thing I don't like are the stones in the ground.

Oatmeal Plains

Way too hard and needs another polish. Remove about 20 enemies or so, remove the giant pitfall and don't be stingy with power ups. Also add a few secrets for people to explore.

The paratroopa in the pipe is unneccessary, at least use enemies that don't keep respawning until you kill it. Still fun to play, but I shouldn't die on a 1-1 stage unless it's on purpose.

Thanks for the feedback :) Always looking for ways to improve my level design! Thanks for checking it out!

No problem. It was fun to play. I probably come off a lil harsh and straight forward sometimes but I think its good to get a more critical opinion. I don't star stuff I don't have fun playing (gaf or not) so I def think you made a solid level. Keep at it man.

Okay, been working on this one for a good long time:

4Swq5fo.jpg

Hanging Gardens of Dinosaur Land
7C58-0000-0084-3753

I played this yesterday but was too lazy to comment. This shit was fire man. Actually super super super good. Well laid out. Good introduction of mechanics, good look. Fair difficulty. I understand why it took you so long to make. Starred it, excellent level.

New level. It's inspired by a level I found randomly, crossed with an idea I had for an underwater level. I'm not really into long underwater levels, but I don't mind small doses of them.

Lake Bombstok - 6929-0000-0087-AD73

WVW69icoZJUE5-S5Bx

I'll be stuffing around with levels from the last 2 pages or so. There's some interesting stuff here.

koam

Not bad! A bit too cramped and short IMO. Starred it nonetheless.
Would you mind giving mine a whirl? It goes with similar obstacles and looks :

Planet 1-5:
Code: 8A8B-0000-0084-433A

Agreed with things being too cramped. Thanks for the feedback.

As for yours, this one was really fun. One thing though,
the part where you climb up a vine to get a 1up where there's a row of coins, you don't really know where you need to jump on the right because you can't see down

urfe

I'm in the middle of redoing all my levels (slowly redoing them, as soon as I lose interest I stop), but in the meantime, here's the course I made a few days ago that's been getting lots of negative comments for being too difficult.

If that sounds like your thing, have a go. I think it's a fair level, but many disagree.

Clear rate is just over 1%. Two people have beaten it, and one of them is my younger brother. The other left a positive comment.

Just played a few stages from around here, quickfire thoughts on these few that were a few pages back...

Hanging Gardens of Dinosaur Land (Green Mamba) and Tick Tock Clock Shop (UncleSporky) are another pair of visually neat stages, if you don't follow these two yet I'd highly recommend doing so.
Jumping back to Mamba before I forget, Elevator Action has some creative usage of doors from a visual standpoint so check that out as well.

Then I got my Diddy Kong on with two stages based around the lead of the best Snes Platformer (sorry SMW), this is how you reel me in.

Mining Melancholy (Dimentios) has a nice simple idea going on with the vine ridden mines where switching sublevels is a way to bypass larger gaps but seemed kinda unfocused ad messy at points, sometimes it wasn't too clear whether you should risk a big jump or change levels.

Diddy Kong's Banana Coin Plantation (one_kill) is all about VINES AND COINS, That's pretty much the gist here. Though that doesn't lead itself to much unfortunately, I should try some of your other stages I'm thinking.

I have to say I'm very very proud of the community and the awesome levels shared. I read GAF at work, so its tough to give feedback, but Ive been playing, starring, commenting and loving you guys's levels.

Ok, im very very happy with my new level:

P. Piranah rollercoaster inferno

Code: FBFD-0000-0085-D498

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69ich-xo8h-DTxB[img]

This level its inspired/tribute to Donkey Kong Country 2 "target terror" but it has a few different ideas of its own and what i believe to be a pretty different and unique boss fight. It has a learning curve but i trully believe its worth your time.

What I find I love the most about making levels had been to come up with ideas and to have to be resourseful to implement them, and this level has been very satisfying/challenging in that regard, including having to find an elegant solution to avoid frustration and not having players loose to many lives and get that difficulty just right. And the boss, which presented its own set of challenges to make it unique and fun.

Would love some feedback![/QUOTE]
While I can defintely agree with the sentiments that this is a bit rough around the edges regarding difficulty and the concept makes one mistake pretty fatal I also had to star this because I just liked the ideas in it too much to ignore.
For some reason bouncing Yoshi off the saw at an angle to reach a platform got me all giddy because the angle was perfect.

Fortunately the stage is just the right length that repeated deaths aren't too much of an issue.

[quote="KooopaKid, post: 180601504"]Planet 1-5:
[B]Code: 8A8B-0000-0084-433A[/B][/QUOTE]

Spotlight Alert

Okay so anyone who has been around this thread since the start is probably aware of KooopaKid's Planet series of stages that if I'm not mistaken aim to bring the mini challenges/puzzle style of hopping between planetoids in Super Mario Galaxy to the 2D Plane.
This leads to a rather different style of stage that merges some nice platforming bits with a few puzzle like tasks to make you think a bit about what to do and how to progress.
Gradually he's been taking on feedback to revamp the older stages while plugging away at new ones.

I just played the revamped versions of the first two stages and as someone who beat the originals I think they've been tuned to a much more manageable difficulty level (original 1-2 was quite the gauntlet if I recall) which is good.

But more impressive is getting around to 1-4 and 1-5 which I'd yet to play, not going to spoil anything here but I really recommend people check these out, the more they go on the more they pull off that Challenge room like approach that makes strong use of taking a main idea and gradually ramping it up.

So yeah, follow this man, I know I am so I can see what comes next in this series, cool unique stages.

New level. It's inspired by a level I found randomly, crossed with an idea I had for an underwater level. I'm not really into long underwater levels, but I don't mind small doses of them.

Lake Bombstok - 6929-0000-0087-AD73

WVW69icoZJUE5-S5Bx

I'll be stuffing around with levels from the last 2 pages or so. There's some interesting stuff here.

The general idea of the level is good and well laid out. I liked it. There is an issue in the first area of the level where the drop down to where the pipe is is all ice and with all the bob ombs it blasts the ice away and you can die on a blind fall because the screen doesn't scroll. I did not die but I was close twice and it may need to be addressed. The other part is the blue skull coast. The way those things work on straight ups is just really annoying and easy to die. You don't actually need to change any of the section but I would put ground at the bottom and a return to start function so the player can have multiple cracks at it. Otherwise good job.

I actually had your idea when designing my own level. What I found was that except at the very start of the stage, its hard to get the bullet bills to come out correctly, so they are mainly useful to go up but not sideways. In the case of your stage, its mostly luck if the bills come up high enough before you hit the spikes. Didn't star this one since it was just too inconsistent. I also tried Short Stack and For Rachel to find a nice level to star. Both are ok but not great. You tend to overdo it a little with the enemies, ease up on them and it should be good.

What's everyone's criteria for starring levels? For me, as long as its fun/shows effort by the creator, I'll star it. Hard levels are fine as long as it is fun instead of frustrating.

Thanks for playing them, this is my second day owning Mario Maker. I've mainly just been playing around to see what it can do. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I have been going kinda crazy with the enemies. The levels just look too easy so I start throwing more things at them, lol.

As for the Bills, though, if you get the right lateral speed they'll fire off like clockwork and take you to the end. I had to add a few extra to the beginning of the chain in order to get going. That's why there's so many bunched up at the beginning of the gap. You have to start off at the right speed and make no mistakes. It took me an hour to finally get it right so I could upload.

Okay, been working on this one for a good long time:

4Swq5fo.jpg

Hanging Gardens of Dinosaur Land
7C58-0000-0084-3753
Played this today, great level.

LordAlu

I was wondering if you fine folks would be willing to give these a try and give me some feedback? The fist two were mainly getting my eye in and the third one is meant to be more challenging (although nowhere near the level of stuff you see in this game).

32A6-0000-0066-AF2A

974B-0000-0077-BBF2

BDD0-0000-007F-C546

Oidisco

The big thing I've been struggling with is making a level that combines a bunch of different game mechanics together like some traditional Mario games. Like I'm pretty good at making levels that focus on a single mechanic, or atleast seperate each different mechanic into their own section.
But when it comes to combining them all together in such a fun way, I'm pretty much useless. I don't want my levels to be too chaotic, unfocused or overwhelming so I really limit myself in what I can use. The best I've done with this is the Rescue Yoshi level I made (still my best overall level i think), but even then all I did was throw in a few green and red Koopas. Not very interesting.

The next 2 level ideas I have are all based around a single game mechanic again, but I really want to create something with a little more variety andI have no idea where to start.

AdanVC

I was playing 100 mario challenge on course world and I just played a level without zero enemies and totally plain from left to right with NOTHING in between. The level was called simply "k" and I just wanted to throw the Gamepad through the window. Why the f people uploads that?? So annoying :(

I was playing 100 mario challenge on course world and I just played a level without zero enemies and totally plain from left to right with NOTHING in between. The level was called simply "k" and I just wanted to throw the Gamepad through the window. Why the f people uploads that?? So annoying :(

Just played 100 man mario. Still as trash as ever. Did not star a single level. But I made it to the end with 43 lives at least.

Hey guys, great uploads!

I decided to give Bowser the right support for a proper bossfight.

Was a pain for me to finish myself but please give it a try:

20 HITS:

9812-0000-0087-1756

Let me know what you think!

Naar

so i finished streaming a couple of hours ago of levels i thought stood out for me the last couple of days. this isnt my top 10 or anything like that, just the most recent levels that i enjoyed that had good designs in some shape or form

Here are the levels for you to check out and play

The archive with my comments can be found here http://www.twitch.tv/naar82/v/18929290 for some reason twitch split my broadcast in 4 parts even though it was only 1 hour long

P Switch Kick N Run - Da Boss

2B92-0000-006C-38A2

Paul McCartney - Juhvelo

8B1F-0000-007F-4D61

Great Train Robbery - granth

5B0E-0000-0082-1157

One Small Step - C- Drive

D1A4-0000-0067-8A1D

You cant wait for mario, peach! - Wariuzzo

E7A2-0000-007C-E514

Trust Nothing - Miro Sato

415D-0000-0066-0D40

Bob-Omb Bombardment - Master A1

1413-0000-003E-6838

Chain Chomp Palace - ShibaFan

0A00-0000-007B-F75E

Castlemario: Symphony of the Sea - Franchuzas

3B60-0000-007C-DB23

stop just dumping your levels and leaving guys :\ there are some pretty good levels to be played and also its good to get feedback. I barely got any feedback on my most recent levels and i really want to make more, but need to fine tune things before i go crazy making levels :p

so i finished streaming a couple of hours ago of levels i thought stood out for me the last couple of days. this isnt my top 10 or anything like that, just the most recent levels that i enjoyed that had good designs in some shape or form

Here are the levels for you to check out and play

The archive with my comments can be found here http://www.twitch.tv/naar82/v/18929290 for some reason twitch split my broadcast in 4 parts even though it was only 1 hour long

P Switch Kick N Run - Da Boss

2B92-0000-006C-38A2

Paul McCartney - Juhvelo

8B1F-0000-007F-4D61

Great Train Robbery - granth

5B0E-0000-0082-1157

One Small Step - C- Drive

D1A4-0000-0067-8A1D

You cant wait for mario, peach! - Wariuzzo

E7A2-0000-007C-E514

Trust Nothing - Miro Sato

415D-0000-0066-0D40

Bob-Omb Bombardment - Master A1

1413-0000-003E-6838

Chain Chomp Palace - ShibaFan

0A00-0000-007B-F75E

Castlemario: Symphony of the Sea - Franchuzas

3B60-0000-007C-DB23

stop just dumping your levels and leaving guys : there are some pretty good levels to be played and also its good to get feedback. I barely got any feedback on my most recent levels and i really want to make more, but need to fine tune things before i go crazy making levels :p

Post a level code and I'll check some of your stuff out asap. All this morning I have just been playing levels and dishing feedback.

SuomiDude

I just finished my new stage that took me couple of days to finish and test. Nothing too clever or anything, I just wanted to put lots of thought into it again.

It's Mariovania Stage 5 (second to last stage in this series), hope you guys enjoy it. I made it slightly less hard than it could've been, because these Mariovania stages have surprisingly low clear rates. Maybe more people get to finish this one.

402E-0000-0088-4531
WVW69icqamM1iHJklg

Naar

Post a level code and I'll check some of your stuff out asap. All this morning I have just been playing levels and dishing feedback.

these are my 2 recent and the ones i actually tried to put some effort in

The Mario Trials (B908-0000-0085-67F4) My attempt at a challenging mario level

Up Goes Down (24E6-0000-0072-92FD) a simple stage with a cool jumping mechanic

The other levels i made were mostly test levels and such

i would very much appreciate feedback, especially on The Mario Trials

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hanging Gardens of Dinosaur Land (Green Mamba) and Tick Tock Clock Shop (UncleSporky) are another pair of visually neat stages, if you don't follow these two yet I'd highly recommend doing so.
Jumping back to Mamba before I forget, Elevator Action has some creative usage of doors from a visual standpoint so check that out as well.
Both Sporky and Mamba have made some good stages. Just played Hanging Gardens of Dinosaur Land and Elevator Action, both very enjoyable and suggested plays.
Another level I've played is B-Bech's Aperture Science (ID: 249C-0000-0067-A2D3), a cool throwback to Portal with a nice ending surprise.

I've also uploaded a new, experimental level which builds upon the open ended environment from Groundhog Day v3 into a bigger environment, and without the time loop gimmick.

Super Mario Open World v0.1b - (FE8B-0000-0087-0E40)

- An open ended, parkour-friendly playground with multiple things to do and secrets to discover;
- NPCs around the map giving out hints and objectives;
- Three hidden 1up mushrooms as usual;
- Three hidden enemies (the Wingers) to take out;
- An underground subway, and multiple doors for fast travel.

Feedback would be, as usual, very appreciated.

My other levels:
eiUHaEh.png

danwu

Banned
I was wondering if you fine folks would be willing to give these a try and give me some feedback? The fist two were mainly getting my eye in and the third one is meant to be more challenging (although nowhere near the level of stuff you see in this game).

32A6-0000-0066-AF2A

974B-0000-0077-BBF2

BDD0-0000-007F-C546

That last one was sneaky !

these are my 2 recent and the ones i actually tried to put some effort in

The Mario Trials (B908-0000-0085-67F4) My attempt at a challenging mario level

Up Goes Down (24E6-0000-0072-92FD) a simple stage with a cool jumping mechanic

The other levels i made were mostly test levels and such

i would very much appreciate feedback, especially on The Mario Trials

Will check out your levels later Naar - thanks for streaming my Great Train Robbery level. Think I need to change it a little though as nobody ever goes into the train cars!

SuomiDude

Hey guys, great uploads!

I decided to give Bowser the right support for a proper bossfight.

Was a pain for me to finish myself but please give it a try:

20 HITS:

9812-0000-0087-1756

Let me know what you think!
Liked the idea, but way too much stuff going on that makes it unnecessarily difficult, because it's partially luck-based. If not for Bowser's multi fireballs it would be ok, but when he does that and you have the fire propeller going right at your direction and homing bill coming at you in the tight spot with a turtle and spiky below you, it's just too much. I didn't bother to finish the stage because of that.

My latest level is called Uncover the Flag. Basically, you have to go down the warp pipes to collect p-switches. I am really pleased with the outcome.
In the third pipe if the thwomp hits the brick block before you do, the p-switch drops to the pit and the stage is screwed. Should fix that.

So, I'll do another NeoGAF-themed Mario Maker stream tomorrow at 8pm CET, which is a little less than 22 hours from now.

Once again, if you want your levels to be played for sure, send me a PM with the Course ID and I'll play it (but, depending on the difficulty, not necessarily beat it). First come, first serve. There are some levels that people sent in too late from last time, so those will definitely be played first.

It will once again be a simple stream with no voice over. Just the levels themselves. I will comment on them in the chat though.

I will put up a link to the stream an hour before it starts.

Come at me and send me your levels!

Quoting myself to say that I will have to delay the stream until tomorrow because of personal reasons.
On the other hand that means that you have another day to send me your Course IDs so I will play them live!

Naar

Will check out your levels later Naar - thanks for streaming my Great Train Robbery level. Think I need to change it a little though as nobody ever goes into the train cars!

no problem. i really liked the way you designed it and all the sound effects you put in :)

although i think the screen rolls too fast to appreciate the design

no problem. i really liked the way you designed it and all the sound effects you put in :)

although i think the screen rolls too fast to appreciate the design

Yes maybe I'll slow the scrolling down. It might also allow people more chance to think about going in the chimney stacks. You can actually go inside each coach and also into the large chimney on the engine for a fight with Bowser Jr. If you get past him and hit a p-switch, there is a passage back under the train once you get outside of the engine. I've seen 2 people stream the level and neither has done any of these so I think I;ll do what you suggested and turn the scrolling down.

GokouD

Wow I just noticed I'm 99/100 on the European all time stars list! Is it sad that it really made my day?
To celebrate, here's a combo of levels, Trash Compactor and Waste Disposal, both tough compact obstacle courses. Trash Compactor has a 1.12 % clear rate and Waste Disposal is new. Give them a go if you're tough enough! ;)

174C-0000-006C-D1F1

29DE-0000-0088-24DA

KingBroly

Banned
My latest level is called Uncover the Flag. Basically, you have to go down the warp pipes to collect p-switches. I am really pleased with the outcome.

Okay, some problems.

Pipe 4 - When you slide of one-block walls, it skips you and you lose control for a bit, so it caused unnecessary deaths because I lost control. That's not really good design and every time I died it felt cheap.

Pipe 5 - Invisible Coin Blocks...seriously? You could've just made it impassible blocks. It's cheap. Also having no space between and getting the Spring is a bit too high of a risk, especially that late in the level. It feels very artificial given the overall ease of the level up until the 5th Pipe. This part of the level is a complete mess in general and feels like you had to up the difficulty but didn't really think it through. Not to mention that if you don't kill the Thwomp on the first go with the Star, the spring disappears, meaning you have to completely restart.

In General - You could've put a lot of filler blocks so I don't get a preview of the next piece of the puzzle.

You REALLY need to fix this level.

danwu

Banned
I just finished my new stage that took me couple of days to finish and test. Nothing too clever or anything, I just wanted to put lots of thought into it again.

It's Marioania Stage 5 (second to last stage in this series), hope you guys enjoy it. I made it slightly less hard than it could've been, because these Mariovania stages have surprisingly low clear rates. Maybe more people get to finish this one.

402E-0000-0088-4531
WVW69icqamM1iHJklg

Fantastic, Well Done, Sir !

Kebiinu

Banned
Do any of y'all think this topic should get a reboot?

Discussion is tough, and I feel like stage submissions should follow feedback. One stage per poster, and you must provide feedback to one of the stages prior to your post.

That'll bring incentive to keep posting stages and hopefully not have to self-promote every new page!

Perhaps even keep the NeoGaf showcase up to date! There's a lot of stellar stages here, and the list surely has not covered then all!

Top Bottom