• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Oidisco

Made another level today, Piranha Plant Perils. It's exactly what it sounds like.

7038-0000-0022-2AED

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014mzax.jpg

imae

(Across the River)
Game: NSMB
ID = 98C6-0000-001C-21B9

Underwater Shenanigans
Game: NSMB
1D1B-0000-0019-D8BC

Nice work I really enjoyed both of these. Some nice details like the piranha plant popping out of the pipe to block path to the blocks in the underwater one.
I didnt even notice the first skull plaform on Across The River until my 5th play, but i felt more comfortable not using it anyway :).

woopWOOP

Almost completed the expert challenge yesterday, until the final stage drained my remaining 24 lives. It was some crazy Captain Falcon obstacle course with effects all over the place. Was smiling the whole way through so it wasn't too bad. Gonna try and beat that course first before I try the challenge again.

I've found that the boatload of Japanese stages that just spam stuff randomly are the easiest to complete. You can usually cheese those one way or another, instead of that precision platforming stage stuff that Diffense posted for example.

I added some more annoying shit in there. Tell me what you think.

Definitely more interesting now. The main problem it has now is that there is no reward for going off the path in the maze to the left. Most players will miss that area because they just go right and towards the end. You should add a fire flower or cape there so that the player feels rewarded for going off the path and getting past the threats you laid out. Hope this helps :)

Wingus

Across the River - Gah, music blocks! From the title I was expecting something peaceful... A couple oddities aside (the random thwomp at the start of the level and the buzzy beetle who jumps into the lava before you can close to him) I really liked this stage. It promotes a style of play where you die a bunch, but learn what's ahead and how best to tackle it next time. The skull platforms were well placed and I assume took a lot of playtesting to get right. That goes for the fireballs and hammer bro. which could have been placed in more intrusive places but felt fair. The only problem I had was the thwomp army at the end which honestly felt cheap and unnecessary since Bowser's enough of a threat himself. Aside from that though, I really liked this one.

Underwater Shenanigans - This one was much easier I felt and I liked that there was always something going on which I had to be aware of. The Koopas halfway into the stage felt like they were placed a little off (the corridor felt a bit too narrow) but eh, it might just be me. Nothing much else to say about this one, very solid and nothing too difficult (although I've always found the water levels to be the easiest Mario levels so maybe it's just that.)

Thanks very much for the feedback. :) The skull platforms were initially placed in a more unforgiving manner, which resulted in the player, more often than not, jumping into the spikes (and falling into the lava). I felt this was a bit too much and changed it accordingly.

The buzzy beetle I totally forgot to remove. It was supposed to be timed so it falls onto the skull platform as it's passing by. Oops :) The Thwomp army definitely could be trimmed down.

Thanks again!

Nice work I really enjoyed both of these. Some nice details like the piranha plant popping out of the pipe to block path to the blocks in the underwater one.
I didnt even notice the first skull plaform on Across The River until my 5th play, but i felt more comfortable not using it anyway :).

I appreciate you taking the time to play it. Cheers! :)

Anteo

I made a level:

9E20-000-001B-6261

Its a level with the day 1 and 2 tools. I want to make 4 levels with a similar theme so, time to unlock more stuff!

Made some changes to the level:

- Removed the hardest path, replaced with a bonus area
- Added one of the challenges of the hardest path as a controlled example at the end of the level. The same concept will be used in the follow up level
- Moved some trees around so players can actually see the springboards

New Code is : DEAD-000-0022-5F5A

51LzJWS.jpg

Also.. wtf DEAD?

B_Bech

Okay, so after receiving complaints that my levels were too cryptic/ difficult... I decided to make a new one with much better difficulty. I'm extremely proud of this one, but I want to see what you guys think of it. I'd like as much constructive input. The boss fight at the end can be tough, but it's got some tricks to it that I tried to make obvious. Give me a star if you like it, also when you give critique post a stage you'd like me to analyze in return.

Assault on Goomba Factory

CF0E-0000-0022-6B6D

Here's the first level I put a serious effort into. I unlocked the Shy Guy costume and had an idea.

C5AA-0000-001B-78DE

I uploaded it last night, and I'm surprised it only has about a 9% completion rate. I don't think it's that hard, but perhaps that's partly because I know what's coming.

This needs more love, perfect use of Shy Guy, neat little ghost house stage to boot.

Uploaded my first level. I tried not making it bullshit hard but still requires precision controls so try to take it slowly.

WVW69iYM4uIzc3Ztiq

Flappy Mario (SMB Edition)

A044-0000-0022-71F4

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just gave this a run or 50. I know it's a "challenge" level, but I ended up deciding it's not a good level.

I liked the idea of the first falling blocks section, but the timing was too finicky. Similarly, the next (plants) section was ok, but if you arrived there without the costume, you were basically dead. Though I managed to sneak by a few times w/o it.

The sideways bouncing things that dropped me into the abyss were bullshit. I would have extended the platform if you wanted them to make that precise 4 square jump so they can afford to mess up.

Solutions.

Anteo

Okay, so after receiving complaints that my levels were too cryptic/ difficult... I decided to make a new one with much better difficulty. I'm extremely proud of this one, but I want to see what you guys think of it. I'd like as much constructive input. The boss fight at the end can be tough, but it's got some tricks to it that I tried to make obvious. Give me a star if you like it, also when you give critique post a stage you'd like me to analyze in return.

Assault on Goomba Factory

CF0E-0000-0022-6B6D

Got stuck on the second area lol. There is an open spot in the ceiling that you cant come back from.

Sapiens

Can someone let me know what they think of my level? 100 plays but no one beat it yet. Too hard?

(75CF-0000-001D-21C8) A Goomba Tower Too Tall.

At this point I just avoid hitting ? Blocks at all unless absolutely necessary. 4/5 times they just contain enemies anyway. Expert 100 Mario challenge has been a breeze ever since I started doing this.

TearYouAsunder

Neo Member
Precarious Approach

68D6-0000-0022-7B18

Would appreciate if some of the faithful would attempt my first level. The focus is on conveyor belts and ripsaws. Decent challenge but nothing impossible.

Haines

Banned
How come after the game told me i unlocked everything at the subworld unlocks, i still have a ton of spaces in my tool menus

LostComplex

Neo Member
Only a few people have tried out my levels. Would appreciate some feedback!

Level Name: A Koopa's Journey
Game Style: NSMB Wii U
Difficulty: Medium/Hard
Brief Description: You have to aid the koopa on its journey to the end, so that it can then help you beat the level. But be careful with what you hit and don't hit, as it can either help the koopa advance or get it stuck. Don't take your eyes off the koopa or it will despawn.
Code: D988-0000-001B-D37B

Level Name: Leaps of Faith
Brief Description: Accurate long jumping is needed in this level. Pretty short though.
Code: F1E8-0000-001C-FC0E

DryvBy

I hear you, but I think that's kind of what the whole game is about. How much discussion is there going to be if we aren't discussing the levels people are making?

I've been discussing how to build certain things or how to get certain things working with a friend. I think there's some general confusion on certain things which is perfect for OT. :/

My last one is a climbing tower stage. It's a bit tricky and you have to use pipes, but I think it turned out pretty well. I added some "hurry" mechanics so you have to climb fast, and tried to do different things in each segment.

Very nice. I'm a big fan of vertical levels and you did a great job of capturing the feeling of upwards progress with the pipes. None of the hazards felt too unfair but in the three runs I did of the stage I got hit in the room with the firebars and munchers. The puzzles with the bob-ombs were a nice touch although (stop me if I'm sounding too evil) I would liked to have seen a hurry system in place for that section too :p. The hurry systems were well implemented with the fireball one going at a slower pace to get the player used to the concept and the blades actually going fast enough to be a real threat. I also loved the finale with both the fireballs and the blades chasing you. In the Bowser fight room, one of the winged fireballs moved right to where the fire flower spawned, forcing me to forgo it and eventually killing me as well. This might have just been an unlucky path that fireball decided to take however. Overall, just a very fun level that made good use of the limited verticality Mario Maker actually has (this is an actual problem I have with the game.)

B_Bech

Only a few people have tried out my levels. Would appreciate some feedback!

Level Name: A Koopa's Journey
Brief Description: You have to aid the koopa on its journey to the end, so that it can then help you beat the level. But be careful with what you hit and don't hit, as it can either help the koopa advance or get it stuck. Don't take your eyes off the koopa or it will despawn.
Code: D988-0000-001B-D37B

Level Name: Leaps of Faith
Brief Description: Accurate long jumping is needed in this level. Pretty short though.
Code: F1E8-0000-001C-FC0E

Koopa's Journey is cute, but it's a little hard. I think the enemy placement is kinda rough and the cavern in the beginning is hard to get into as big Mario. I didn't finish this one because the koopa kept getting stuck when I hit one of the blocks because he wouldn't get on the trampoline. If the start of the level wasn't tedious I'd probably have gone back and finished it. You should start out with the koopa right away, in my opinion. If you remake the course I'd definitely try it again! :) I love the idea!

Testing them now. Will leave feedback here.

Leaps of Faith

The falling Spinies pissed me off. Haha. I like the concept of the timing long jumps, though! Beat it, too. :)

Vitet

Very nice. I'm a big fan of vertical levels and you did a great job of capturing the feeling of upwards progress with the pipes. None of the hazards felt too unfair but in the three runs I did of the stage I got hit in the room with the firebars and munchers. The puzzles with the bob-ombs were a nice touch although (stop me if I'm sounding too evil) I would liked to have seen a hurry system in place for that section too :p. The hurry systems were well implemented with the fireball one going at a slower pace to get the player used to the concept and the blades actually going fast enough to be a real threat. I also loved the finale with both the fireballs and the blades chasing you. In the Bowser fight room, one of the winged fireballs moved right to where the fire flower spawned, forcing me to forgo it and eventually killing me as well. This might have just been an unlucky path that fireball decided to take however. Overall, just a very fun level that made good use of the limited verticality Mario Maker actually has (this is an actual problem I have with the game.)

Hurry systems alternates, that's because the bob-omb section hasn't one. Anyway, it can be a pain sometimes to break the blocks with them, so I think it works well. Also the last fireball you mention was worse before, so now it's a pain but can be avoided if careful

Great review, thanks!

jholmes

just finished my third level, 'A Song of Ice And Fire'

ID: AADE-0000-001B-12DD

would love some feedback for this, had a blast working on it.

btw thanks to everyone who hasn't only been posting levels but also critiquing other people's creations, whether it is in here or on miiverse. this loop of trying out a whole bunch of levels, giving feedback and simultaneously reflecting on one's own design philosophy is not something you get to do everyday, i feel, and it is immensely valuable.

OK, honest feedback, I think this level has a fatal flaw: the ceiling. The ice blocks do a lot to restrict movement right off the bat, and so does the hazard-heavy level design (including Bowser who literally makes you freeze in place if you let him!) This is fine, but the challenge should come from things the player can control, and banging your head off the ceiling while avoiding things struck me as arbitrary. Mario levels allow for this great freedom of movement, and even difficult levels should remember that. The worst thing about the ceiling is since it's so tight on small Mario, going into the bonus room is pointless because getting big makes you more likely to fall in the lava. Also a pet peeve, but the first fireball feels like a beginner's trap more than a well placed hazard: Mario games are about jumping, and the first one should be free, I think.

With that said there's a lot to like. The puzzle room itself is inspired, tough and fun. The ice blocks themselves are well laid out and at many times you've gone out of your way to make the jumps quite fair. Conceptually, I like the level too: not just the combo of fire and ice, but also the tetrominoes as platforms, the beetles as hazards and the use of small platforms in a Bowser stage. At the end of the day I just thought it was too hard (I did beat it) which makes me concerned about constantly playing super-hard levels given so many people here said your level was well balanced!

Anyway, I hope you keep up the good work. I'm definitely interested in what you do next.

M.D.L

Neo Member
Question:

is there some sort of leaderboard with world rankings for things like:

.- most popular level
.- player with the most levels completed
.- player with the most levels created

- Yes
- No
- No

There is the most Starer Makers.

Anteo

Yeah, I tried to make it easier... but Bowser is HARD in the clown car.

Finally!

It took me 3 tries to realize how to properly use the bonus star + p switch to make a run on the 3rd area of the stage. However the p switch doesnt last long enough so I just felt to the lower area every time. You may want to make the path to take the star shorter, so we have more time on the p switch for the third area.

The area vs bowser gets too crowded at times, if the players are not clearing the floor with fire flower constantly, they will get overwhelmed pretty easily, bowser can push them towards the goombas hitboxes making them lose the Fire Flower, Bowser can sometimes block the path to the next fire flower making it even harder. Consider making a small pit so the goombas can die, that's the hardest part of the fight imo. You may even be able to add more pipes that spawn goombas if you add the small pit, so it's a constant stream of goomba instead of sometimes nothing, sometimes a pool of death.

Find Your Way!
836F-0000-001D-039B

This is my first level that I made and my theme for it was a level which isn't too hard overall but more about how each player playing it has a different experience.
Hidden items in blocks open up shortcuts which all lead to this broken ship underground which is going to be the theme of my next level. Anyway, Have fun!

TheMoon

Have a couple of questions. Sorry if these have been asked before.

1. After you upload a level, can you make tweaks to it while saving the user play/completion count?

2. How do you insert coin blocks into bricks? I haven't unlocked everything yet, so I was wondering if that option is there right away or if I unlock it later. I couldn't figure it out on my own.

1) No.

2) Drag object into block. All works the same way. Drag thing to other thing.

Anteo

Geez, someone died near the end of my level in a place I never expect them to die. And they didnt finish the level because of it.

Need to fix it

sonto340

This game.
I had no idea I wanted to make Mario levels as much as I do.
Sure I toyed around with Lunar Magic a little back in the day like I'm sure most people did, but this just makes it all so easy, and quick, and there's no saving the rom loading the rom getting to the level etc, you just click play and you're there.
Nintendo has outdone themselves.

Top Bottom