• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

Ridley327

Yikes, a runner? Maybe Nintendo's mobile offerings just wont be for me....

I sincerely doubt any touchscreen is up to how jam-packed Mario levels can get without a compromise like this. This is easily the best thing they could do with Mario as far as mobile is concerned.

And hey, we've already had some terrific level-based runners in the form of the Rayman Run games.

yoonshik

screen696x696.jpeg

screen696x696.jpeg

screen696x696.jpeg

screen696x696.jpeg

Lazaro

For a times exclusive?

I currently in mobile OS limbo figuring out what platform I want to jump in to, I using a Xperia Z, Lumia 640 and iPhone 4S.

I love Nintendo stuff, so yeah I would go iOS for that stuff. That and the better more polished app experiences on iOS.
Poor Windows Phone :( I would have loved you but you have no apps.

Is it possible to play this on an old iPad 2, do we think?

Depends what OS the game is limited to. I'm guessing the game might be compatible with iOS 8 devices and above.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm much more excited about the Animal Crossing app coming soon. Should be interesting to see what pops up in November's Animal Crossing direct. I fully expect the Welcome Amiibo update for New Leaf to add the ability to connect to the app in some way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
screen696x696igsjv.jpeg
screen696x6962cstl.jpeg
screen696x696ucs3t.jpeg
screen696x696amshi.jpeg
screen696x6967usrn.jpeg

Nintendo said:
A new Mario game you can plaay with one hand!

At long last, Mario jumps into a new adventure on iPhone and iPad, this time playable using only one hand.

Even if this is your first Mario game, you won't be able to put it down!

In this game, you constantly move forward through the courses while using a variety of jumps to navigate. Your character will behave differently depending on the timing of your taps, so it's up to you to show off particularly smooth moves, gather coins, and reach the goal.

Super Mario Run offers three different game modes:
- The first mode features challenging courses for you to complete.
- In the second mode, you challenge the play data of other people's completed courses. You compete to see who can finish the course with the most style!
- In the third mode, you can create your own Mushroom Kingdom using coins collected by playing the first two game modes.

LAA

Why would they release on ios first? Aren't there more andorid devices out in the market than there are ios devices?

Yeah, this annoys me with things tbh. Companies simply seem to prioritise iOS because it's perceived as being more popular, when the stats show it isn't.
I think iOS may actually be more popular in Japan though I believe? Maybe? Could explain their reasoning there if that's the case.

The Boat

My nephews will go apeshit over this, they're always playing Rayman on my phone and they both love Mario.

Yeah, this annoys me with things tbh. Companies simply seem to prioritise iOS because it's perceived as being more popular, when the stats show it isn't.
I think iOS may actually be more popular in Japan though I believe? Maybe? Could explain their reasoning there if that's the case.
It's a marketing deal, this way they got in Apple's conference and can get much, much more exposure.

Portugeezer

Seems fine, I would speed run so many levels and just hold the run button, this seems like a good mix between traditional Mario and an endless runner.

It's also just good to see Nintendo in the limelight, hopefully we see more of them in the upcoming weeks.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is anyone really feigning surprise? The most obvious easy effort the second they announced they were relenting and becoming a third party pub for smartphones.

Rayman Jungle Run will probably remain the better game though because that shit is tight.

One day Nintendo will go back to lovely 2D animation but obviously not for these refried beans.

Ok serious question...if they can put games on iPhone then why not Xbone/PS4?

They're putting games on iOS/Android that they would never have put on a Nintendo console and/or handheld.

There are no games that they wouldn't put on a Nintendo console/handheld that they would put on a sony/microsoft console.

maxcriden

Maiar_m

I hope people realise this is a good thing and not a rebuttal of traditional gaming by a loved company, but that often-described as out of touch company being smart with its IPs :/

Yeah, I can see why they're doing this. Use mobile games to hook people in, then use that as a gateway to sell a "full fat" experience to those people.

Jup and Nintendo also had not much choice imo. This news is good for everyone. Apple is paying Nintendo for some exclusivity, people will buy this Mario game like crazy, their IP's will become knows to a younger audience and (more controversial) it opens the door for third party games.

AdanVC

I think I was more surprised to see Miyamoto on stage than the actual game announcement since we saw that coming since pretty much day one. Watching Miyamoto on an Apple Event was surreal <3.

First Mario on the Olympics and now Mario on the Apple event. Nintendo is killing it with increasing their presence lately. Hope they continue that way!

ash_ag

This is exactly why Nintendo "going third-party" is completely unacceptable to me. "First on [platform]" is something I would expect to hear from Ubisoft or Square Enix. Nintendo is supposed to be above it. And it's not about Android users being hurt by iOS exclusivity (or vice versa). It's about Nintendo caving to the rules of multiplatform gaming. I've always been positive about Nintendo's entry in the mobile industry, but hearing the words "First on iOS" come out of Nintendo's mouth is hurting me in a profound way.

Somnia

I like the people saying the market will crash back down when they discover it's a runner. There are some pretty big selling runner games out there and this is freaking Mario.

Effect

Huh? It's an auto runner : this is the best kind of platformer on mobile.
Virtual dpads for controlling direction of movement is the absolute worst mobile trend.

I agree but that's what people want or are usually referring to when they say they want Mario on mobile. They want the same games that are on the home console or hand helds and that's not happening. So when people hear at a glance there is a Mario game on mobile that's what they think and expect wrongly understanding those games aren't good for mobile. This runner actually is and that's what is going to turn some of those people off or get people to sell their stock once they realize what exactly is being offered even though it's the best thing for mobile. Lots of people buying stock aren't smart we should know that by now.

maxcriden

"In this game, you constantly move forward through the courses while using a variety of jumps to navigate. Your character will behave differently depending on the timing of your taps, so it's up to you to show off particularly smooth moves, gather coins, and reach the goal."

I wonder if the use of the phrase "your character" indicates multiple playable chars.

why does yoshi have a shovel stabbed into him and why does he look dead

Don't worry, he is sleeping and covered in sand. The shovel was used to shovel sand on him. Probably keeps the little guy cool.

Zafir

Maybe it'll be pretty decent if it's not a F2P runner. Though it is still a runner by the looks of it.

Sadly I won't know since I don't have a single iOS device anymore. Well apart from an age old iPod touch which I question whether it still works or runs anything.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about 2d Mario Culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on mobile devices where you can become successful by releasing endless runners. If you screw someone over who loves 2d Mario game, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Mario for either system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel Mario Runner or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Easier to develop for a couple of phones on one operating system rather than 50 million different phones for one OS.

And it is always irksome when Android apps release for select few devices and progressively work on other models.

I'd prefer people took their time and released on both.

ekurisona

Update: Just received the announcement, added in below. Nintendo calls it a “full-sized Super Mario Bros. action platformer that has been developed specifically for mobile”. Also confirmed for December.

Nintendo has just announced a brand new mobile game, Super Mario Run. The reveal took place during a conference currently being held by Apple. Shigeru Miyamoto was in attendance to show the title.

In Super Mario Run, Mario will automatically run to the right. Players can touch the screen to jump over obstacles, avoid enemies, and capture the flag pole to finish levels. A mode is also included where you can compete against the moves of other people who have completed the same course. You’ll also be able to create your own Mushroom Kingdom based upon these play results. Miyamoto has been deeply involved with development.

Super Mario Run is coming out this holiday, and will be distributed on iOS first. According to Nintendo, “iOS users will be able to download and enjoy a portion of Super Mario Run for free and will be able to enjoy all of the game content available in this release after paying a set purchase price. ” Fans will also be able to nab Super Mario stickers for iMessage.

KYOTO, Japan, Sept. 8, 2016 JST –At an Apple event in San Francisco, CA earlier today, Nintendo announced that the leading man of video games will star in Super Mario Run, a full-sized Super Mario Bros. action platformer that has been developed specifically for mobile, and will be available first on the App Store this December. Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto took the stage at the event and put Mario through his paces in a multi-level demonstration instantly familiar to millions of fans worldwide. In the game, Mario runs forward on his own, but relies on the touch of a single finger to jump over obstacles, avoid pesky enemies and capture the flag pole to complete levels.

“We have created Super Mario Run to be perfect for playing on your iPhone,” said Mr. Miyamoto, who first devised the Mario character more than 35 years ago. “Super Mario has evolved whenever he has encountered a new platform, and for the first time ever, players will be able to enjoy a full-fledged Super Mario game with just one hand, giving them the freedom to play while riding the subway or my favorite, eating a hamburger.”

“The App Store has made so many things better in our lives – the way we communicate, the way we work and the way we have fun,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “But for gamers of all ages, the story just hasn’t been complete without Mario, so we are thrilled that Nintendo is bringing him to iOS for the first time this December.”

Super Mario Run has a mode in which the player collects coins and heads for the goal, and a mode in which the player competes against the acrobatic moves of other people who have completed the same course. In addition, there is a mode in which you create your own Mushroom Kingdom based upon these play results.

iOS users will be able to download and enjoy a portion of Super Mario Run for free and will be able to enjoy all of the game content available in this release after paying a set purchase price. More details will be disclosed at a later date. The game has been developed with Mr. Miyamoto as lead creator for Nintendo. Nintendo is also continuing its partnership with DeNA for the launch of Super Mario Run. It will be offered on the App Store this December in more than 100 different countries, and nine different languages.

To help iOS users get ready for the launch of Super Mario Run, a free Mario-themed sticker pack for the App Store for iMessage will launch this month. iMessage users can easily access and use these stickers in a variety of ways, bringing a bit of Mushroom Kingdom flavor to their conversations.

Super Mario Run represents the next phase of Nintendo’s expansion to mobile platforms, following the release of Miitomo earlier this year. After the launch of Super Mario Run in December, Nintendo plans to deliver its previously announced mobile device titles in the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem series before the end of March, 2017.

http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-run-announced-for-mobile/

Top Bottom