• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Wonder Announced - Coming 20.10.2023 | Nintendo Direct

AJUMP23

Top 10 selling 2D Mario platformers

1. Super Mario Bros. - 40.24 million
2. New Super Mario Bros. - 30.80 million
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 30.32 million
4. Super Mario World - 20.61 million
5. Super Mario Land - 18.14 million
6. Super Mario Bros. 3 - 17.28 million
7. New Super Mario Bros. U DX - 15.41 million
8. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 13.41 million
9. Super Mario Land 2 - 11.18 million
10. Super Mario All-Stars - 10.55 million

Where will Super Mario Bros. Wonder place?
With the switch install base you think it will sell 30 mil pretty easy.

Trilobit

tvBrkqy.jpg

i0Praiq.jpg

xt9mzzb.jpg

3DRIcP6.jpg

AtQmKYD.jpg

cKDW8OC.jpg

Well appreciated! While I still love it, I'm a bit hesitant at it not just being a NSMB sequel, the art style is too similar. I'm not sure what style Nintendo should use to really differ it from the NMSB series though.

Really looking forward to it nevertheless, it looks superfun!

Last edited:

Hudo

Top 10 selling 2D Mario platformers

1. Super Mario Bros. - 40.24 million
2. New Super Mario Bros. - 30.80 million
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 30.32 million
4. Super Mario World - 20.61 million
5. Super Mario Land - 18.14 million
6. Super Mario Bros. 3 - 17.28 million
7. New Super Mario Bros. U DX - 15.41 million
8. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 13.41 million
9. Super Mario Land 2 - 11.18 million
10. Super Mario All-Stars - 10.55 million

Where will Super Mario Bros. Wonder place?
The New Super Mario Bros. games being higher than Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 kinda makes me upset.

Jinzo Prime

Interesting take (timestamp)

This is sad take. Who wants Super Mario RPG remade like Final Fantasy 7? Keeping it faithful was the right choice for such a quirky game. And Super Mario Wonder is the wacky, well animated 2d Mario game that I and many other fans was hoping for.

What did he expect? Metroid 4? F-Zero? 3D Mario? You aren't getting that this late in the Switch's life.

The New Super Mario Bros. games being higher than Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 kinda makes me upset.
A gazillion ports over three decades for SMW, it probably was still played by more people than the single release of NSMB.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

This is sad take. Who wants Super Mario RPG remade like Final Fantasy 7? Keeping it faithful was the right choice for such a quirky game. And Super Mario Wonder is the wacky, well animated 2d Mario game that I and many other fans was hoping for.

What did he expect? Metroid 4? F-Zero? 3D Mario? You aren't getting that this late in the Switch's life.
Kyle (the Boss) Bossman is very cynical. Never take what he says at face value. He is just as relieved at it's faithfulness to the original as every 30+ yo

Trilobit

Oh, Bosman is back from vacation! Well, he did say it looked "perfect", but on a wonder-scale it wasn't that amazing.

Wow.

I feel incredibly old seeing how goddamn old Kyle Bossman is looking nowadays.

In comparison, this is what he looked like when he was 15:

communityIcon_rzhibr4p8ed51.jpg

With the switch install base you think it will sell 30 mil pretty easy.
Hard to say, there are other 2D Mario platformers already on the console (MM2, NSMBUDX) which may lessen the demand. The New Super Mario games on DS and Wii were the only 2D Mario games on those systems which made them essential purchases. I think 25 million is a safe bet but beyond that i am not sure.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They had what, 3-4x the install base to sell to? Also a good portion of those SMW sales must be as a pack-in. Sega did a very good job of downplaying Mario at the time, if the game wasn’t bundled the number could be even lower.

Robb

Gold Member
Do you think Mario will be able to transform into other animals? If so, which ones?

Someone said Peach can turn into a Walrus? Was this in the trailer?!
I’ve heard nothing of walruses but I’d be surprised if there isn’t an underwater-type transformation.

Although I’m not sure if ‘Animals’ are necessarily the gimmick/theme. We see Mario transformed into a spiky boulder in the trailer as well, so there might be various types of transformations.

Maybe we’re supposed to ‘wonder’ what each new item will turn us into when we grab it.

BlackTron

Well appreciated! While I still love it, I'm a bit hesitant at it not just being a NSMB sequel, the art style is too similar. I'm not sure what style Nintendo should use to really differ it from the NMSB series though.

Really looking forward to it nevertheless, it looks superfun!
It is a NSMB sequel. The goal of both is to end up looking a lot like Mario Bros, despite taking very different paths to get there. So it's not that surprising that they look so similar.

If you look at the comparison carefully, the assets aren't similar at all, they only paint similar scenes. When you hone in on any detail, it destroys NSMB

tkscz

I just realized they're bringing so much Mario games because the movie was massive success
Doubtful. These games either are done or very close to finished. Takes years to get to that point, not months. The movie's success and the release of these games are coincidental. Most likely reason is it's the end of the switch's life and they're trying to squeeze as much as they can out of it

image.png

Classic Mario side-scrolling gameplay is turned on its head with the addition of Wonder Flowers. These game-changing items trigger spectacular moments you have to see to believe...
Witness pipes coming alive, wreak havoc as a giant spiky ball, and see even more unexpected events called Wonder Effects.
Choose from familiar characters including Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi and Toad. Transform into Elephant Mario to use your trunk to trounce enemies with a surprising new Power-Up!

Team up with up to three friends locally and gather around one Nintendo Switch to experience the game-bending Wonder Effects together as you tackle courses as a team and help each other on your way to the goal.

Releasing on October 20, 2023.

1687360031-4469-capture-d-ecran.jpg
1687360030-526-capture-d-ecran.jpg
1687360030-2986-capture-d-ecran.jpg
1687360030-5150-capture-d-ecran.jpg

Should have sent… a poet.

Scotty W

It really wasn't that bad, it was just way too plain boring and safe for the only 2D Mario art style we've had since 2006. 17 years of the same homogenized generic Mario from the series that gave us 3 and Yoshi's Island...come on.
This is it. It looked fine at the time, but it BECAME generic. With that said, people criticize these games far too much. Some of the most fun I have ever had in gaming was in NSMB Wii 4 player mode. This level, for example in multiplayer, was fun.

I just want a game that looks like this.

Hudo

I would also love to see what that team could do with a new 2D WarioLand using the artstyle of the WarioWare games.

BlackTron

This is it. It looked fine at the time, but it BECAME generic. With that said, people criticize these games far too much. Some of the most fun I have ever had in gaming was in NSMB Wii 4 player mode. This level, for example in multiplayer, was fun.

I agree about that boss fight, I mentioned the same one!!

I just want a game that looks like this.

Land 1 and 2 always had some of the best cover art in the series. The influences from this era in Wonder are exactly what I wanted, but a full-on 2D artwork Cuphead style game in this is pretty much too good to be true. Land 2 is low key one of my fav Mario games...it was really the best-feeling platforming you could get in a Game Boy. I just revisited it with the color romhack.

I must admit - I disliked it multiple times because it looked too similar to New Smb which I don't like. But more I watch more I see that I was so wrong. This is million times better and actually interesting. Artstyle is incredible. Everything is very clean, perfect looking with lots of detail and round edges. It looks awesome, damn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom