• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Wonder Announced - Coming 20.10.2023 | Nintendo Direct

TLZ

Banned
car sliding GIF

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
True, but why Daisy?

I mean, there is a reason why Rosalina usually was chosen, and that's because she is more popular in Japan.

Daisy, despite having a loud fanbase, is often seen as annoying.

So why choose her over any other character?
I dunno.

cireza

The first two musics are super annoying. Looks like a decent effort otherwise.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Oh yeah, I forgot about this. it's 1 year IIRC
I used up my initial $100 voucher, my question was more about how many $100 vouchers can I buy.

Seems there is no limit? I normally don’t buy digital, when I do it’s only for games I know that I’ll put a lot of time in and don’t want to find the cart! 😂

BoTW, TotK, Smash and MK. I do have initially buy physical for those especially the Special Editions that are unboxed.

tkscz

True, but why Daisy?

I mean, there is a reason why Rosalina usually was chosen, and that's because she is more popular in Japan.

Daisy, despite having a loud fanbase, is often seen as annoying.

So why choose her over any other character?

They chose Rosalina for Super Mario 3D world because she was easier to see on all the Orange/yellow theme levels. Originally it was supposed to be Daisy, but game testers had issues seeing her.

That might explain why they now have shadows on background objects that are closer to the player. The WiiU could've pulled that off in NSMBU but it wasn't a priority.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
As for 2D Mario games since World, none of them ever got close to being regarded as the best in their genre.
You say that but you've never given an explanation for why you feel that way... you just keep saying it as if everyone knows what you're talking about.

Whether or not it's true no one's gonna give you the light of day unless you got a good explanation

Codes 208

I get what you mean and understand why someone wouldn't like this style of animation. I love it a ton, but it does have a jarring effect if you prefer more smooth animations. Some parts seem to move independently of each other.
gives me a Spiderverse/PiB: the last wish kind of vibes with its animations

anyone have a side by side to NSMB series?

this art style looks very very similar and im not seeing enough of a difference off the bat to understand why everyone is so excited that it ditched the New style.

Marvel14

Banned
Didn't see anything there to dethrone Super Mario World or even challenge it. Art style is safe and uninspiring. Just seems like Nintendo ran out of ideas for traditional 2D Mario and decided they're gonna do Super Mario Bros. LSD. Donkey Kong is where the real innovation is when it comes to modern 2D platforming.
Looks excellent....knowing Nintendo and how they're developing games nowadays taking their time to polish and polish it's gonna be a gameplay delight...

Am I dreaming the deeper animation that makes the gameplay look more like youre controlling a 2d cartoon? Don't get these "it looks meh" takes.

With 2d Mario games it's impossible to know if one is better than the other without playing it...a 2 minutes trailer ain't gonna cut it...

Last edited:

Edder1

You say that but you've never given an explanation for why you feel that way... you just keep saying it as if everyone knows what you're talking about.

Whether or not it's true no one's gonna give you the light of day unless you got a good explanation
Lol what?? Just browse through nternet forums, sites and YouTube ranking lists and you'll see that none of 2D Mario games that came after World rank anywhere near it. Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 are always listed on best games of all time lists, the other 2D games are nowhere to be seen. It's how I feel, it's literally the consensus.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

AJUMP23

Can someone enlighten me on these vouchers I see popping up on this thread? Do we have that in Europe as well or?
on the nintendo store you can buy 2 vouchers for $100. each one you can redeem for 1 game. I used one on TotK and I will use one on Mario. Basically I save $30 buy using the voucher. But Nintendo got my $100 early.

As long as you are buying a game of $50 you are saving money.

No Idea about europe, you should just search it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Consider my position from an unbiased perspective. These new Super Mario style graphics are nice and clean and HD and they look nice but I don't blame some of the takes that say they look like cheap mobile games. My kids love the colors and all of that stuff and it's fun to play together and I appreciate that. The Nintendo simple art style doesn't necessarily need the realisms to have a certain appeal. But it must be stated that the graphics sometimes look uninspired it's easy to just to throw some colors in there like the rainbow and I like looking at that on my 4K OLED. I just leave my sort of opinions open because I do understand why some people would be a little bit critical of looking at the same style of graphics.

It's like that new Sonic game they showed, whatever it's called, it looks reasonable but it just feels like the same game they made already other than some of those sections that look like pixel or voxel art I thought it looked like some of the other games they already made. Nintendo has a lot of that going for them and I understand these things are appealing to a certain extent but that is also a fair bit of criticism since certain games just feel like the same thing. And yes you could argue that with a lot of games but in this case with nintendo, it does apply to them to an extent.

VN1X

Banned
on the nintendo store you can buy 2 vouchers for $100. each one you can redeem for 1 game. I used one on TotK and I will use one on Mario. Basically I save $30 buy using the voucher. But Nintendo got my $100 early.

As long as you are buying a game of $50 you are saving money.

No Idea about europe, you should just search it.
Ahh gotcha but I just realized it's only for digital version then. I will pass then.

ZoukGalaxy

Give it to me, MEOOOOOWWWWW !

black and white meow GIF by hoppip

They finally get rid of NSMB template which I really hated, finally some fresh ideas, THIS is Nintendo !
And these backgrounds are beautiful.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Ahh gotcha but I just realized it's only for digital version then. I will pass then.
Yea, I got TotK digital because I didn’t want to open my SE box. I also know I’ll only be playing TotK. I did have 700hrs on BoTW, about 150hrs I got BoTW digital version.

Hudo

The animations are just top notch;
SQdAA.gif

SQdAj.gif

They’ve really nailed that old-school classic look with this one:
c9Fj7r8.jpg

james franco GIF

Also, nightmare fuel:
jLTldLT.png
I hope that animation where he goes into the horizontal pipe, loses his hat and then grabs it as he comes out on the other side is not something done for the trailer. It's such a nice animation. In general, the animation work is amazing. Above and beyond everything done in the New Super Mario Bros. games.

Jaruru

The animations are just top notch;
SQdAA.gif

SQdAj.gif

They’ve really nailed that old-school classic look with this one:
c9Fj7r8.jpg

james franco GIF

Also, nightmare fuel:
jLTldLT.png

Looks very good to me. Mario franchise gained so much popularity this year due to the movie success. This game will be the first Mario game for many new fans/kids. 2D + easy control + vibrant colours = key.

tkscz

Anybody who can't tell the difference is blind, this is the kind of expressiveness Sonic fans have been begging for, but here it is in a Mario game!
I wouldn't say blind but most likely going based on memory, which can me easily manipulated by what the person is currently seeing. Because both are 2.5D, people who haven't played NSMB in a while will see them as the same art style. Those who have NSMB close in memory (this includes Super Mario Maker) will immediately see the difference.

Astral Dog

I wouldn't say blind but most likely going based on memory, which can me easily manipulated by what the person is currently seeing. Because both are 2.5D, people who haven't played NSMB in a while will see them as the same art style. Those who have NSMB close in memory (this includes Super Mario Maker) will immediately see the difference.
There is a difference but again,the last new Super Mario Bros game was using SD Wii era models, this is an evolution of that style not something completely different

Last edited:

NanaMiku

I used up my initial $100 voucher, my question was more about how many $100 vouchers can I buy.

Seems there is no limit? I normally don’t buy digital, when I do it’s only for games I know that I’ll put a lot of time in and don’t want to find the cart! 😂

BoTW, TotK, Smash and MK. I do have initially buy physical for those especially the Special Editions that are unboxed.
Turns out there is the answer in the FAQ lol

9093c24c13.png

BlackTron

Damn it almost looks like the Nintendo Power cover from years ago. This will definitely be a day one purchase. Shit, a day one preorder.

Also, I never thought NSMB looked bad artistically. I liked the clean designs and colors *shrugs*

It really wasn't that bad, it was just way too plain boring and safe for the only 2D Mario art style we've had since 2006. 17 years of the same homogenized generic Mario from the series that gave us 3 and Yoshi's Island...come on.

I do like how Wonder mimics old art, while also mimicking sprites...reminds me of the Mario 64 fan project to make the whole game look like the renders on the box, manual, promo art etc

Top 10 selling 2D Mario platformers

1. Super Mario Bros. - 40.24 million
2. New Super Mario Bros. - 30.80 million
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 30.32 million
4. Super Mario World - 20.61 million
5. Super Mario Land - 18.14 million
6. Super Mario Bros. 3 - 17.28 million
7. New Super Mario Bros. U DX - 15.41 million
8. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 13.41 million
9. Super Mario Land 2 - 11.18 million
10. Super Mario All-Stars - 10.55 million

Where will Super Mario Bros. Wonder place?

Last edited:
Top Bottom