• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World |OT| Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SMW is great, though I'd have to put SMB3 above it for the typical reasons like challenge, level design, etc. IMO part of what makes Mario World feel so special is the tone of the game between its pacing, color palette, and the jazz fusion soundtrack. It's very memorable.

I would still place Yoshi's Island above it, and think that NSMB U is a better game in terms of level design and variety, regardless of the art direction. It is true that SMW has the most nested and clever overworld route options though.

Linkhero1

SNES--Retro%20Mario%20World%20Super%20Mario%20Bros_Dec30%2018_17_54.png

Anyone else ever pick up the purple blocks too fast so they fall right down the hole they accidentally created?

All the time. I hated fighting these boos.

I love these message board posts from the past that show people still the same

Totally, its surprising how the complaints back then are almost exactly the same as what people are complaining about nowadays. Its funny seeing people talk about the SNES having a drought of games early on in its life and the Wii U is in the same position.

ibnLrT1dV9HUVj.jpg

I made it here within half and hour of starting the game.

I haven't played the game in years but you never forget the ins and outs of your first game.

With regard to Tubular. I eventually figured out a way to get to end without even using the Mario Balloon.
(I made a simple map guide. Open in new window)

Holy crap you brought back rage memories from my childhood lol...that level was a pain in the ass.

I never realized there were P Balloons in the item boxes. I was trying to beat it with Blue Yoshi and cape; ALMOST made it to the gate ledge (I remember jumping off Yoshi and barely missing).

A couple days later I was at a bookstore and looked up a guide. It was doable after that.

The rest of the levels were disappointingly easy after Tubular, though I do remember running out of time in the last level.

I also remember not knowing how to beat Bowser until I went to a friend's house and saw him throw the things at him.

This game had some of the best tunes...I'd love it if Nintendo did another game in this style. I can't find really one complaint to say about it. And that instruction manual was full of charm too and that was just the manual!

Zee-Row

Banned
I rock! This was like trophies for me back in the day but the only person i could brag to was my mother and she didn't care!

zlCfzQ-EdxkgNi_dan_zps4ae94a7b.jpg

serplux

Finally, a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3. And let's face it, Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best game ever made, so this upgrade to 16-bits has a lot to live up to.

It's been like, what, one year? They rollin' out these Marios like there's no tomorrow. Hopefully it's not a rehash. Looks pretty good so far though.

ElRenoRaven

I prefer Super Mario Bros. 3 to Super Mario World.

Deal with it.

I'm with you. I love Super Mario World but I just really liked Super Mario World 3 a hell of a lot more. I'd actually say Super Mario Bros 3 is my number 1 favorite of all the Mario games.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wish I could of played the early version of this game when Mario still had the raccoon tail power up and the goombas were flat and not round like the final version.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just realized Tubular is a level made entirely with pipes.

I see what they did there.

I'm really dumb.

zroid

Banned
It's been like, what, one year? They rollin' out these Marios like there's no tomorrow. Hopefully it's not a rehash. Looks pretty good so far though.

This plumber crap needs to die. How about some new IPs, eh Nintendo?

TRY BEING CREATIVE, FOR ONCE

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm so happy to be in the OT :3.

FlyFaster

Possibly the best Mario game ever created. Spent a good part of my childhood playing this on SNES. Always came back to it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I literally didn't even know that I could control the cape flying until a few years ago. As a kid I thought it was random and rarely used it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is the best Mario-game, the best Snes-game and quite simply the best game ever. I won't get it for the Virtual Console, but I do have my Snes plugged in with this cart in the cartridge slot right now :) The Star Road is probably my favorite part of the game, such an awesome way of doing the warping! New Super Mario Bros U was pretty decent, but I seriously just want Nintendo to rehash this game with the same physics, graphics, power-ups and a new world map and new levels. That would instantly be my most anticipated game lol.

With regard to Tubular. I eventually figured out a way to get to end without even using the Mario Balloon.

What, I dont quite understand this. What do you do after jumping on the Para Koopa?

Vargas

Wow, Tubular seems so short now. Maybe it seemed to take forever because I always used the balloon.

terrisus

Still remember my friend getting this for his birthday on October 1, and me having to wait until my birthday on December 12 to get mine. Was over there as often as I could playing this game, it all seemed like a dream. And then the magical day when I finally unwrapped my own system - I can still remember it like it was just yesterday... Such a magical time...

Top Bottom