• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy sold on Ubuntu without consent, Team Meat went a year without payment

jediyoshi

He's being specific enough with his out of context YouTube videos. I guess having a bit of nervousness expressed through hubris, and admitting to social awkwardness while still talking about wanting to communicate in some way add up to being wholly unlikable people. Those are legit reasons to dislike people, but going by the response to his comment, not enough for most of us.

I want to believe. It makes understanding humanity the more easier.

foogles

They've already said they won't work with Microsoft ever again and now they won't ever make a Linux game again. They are quickly depleting their options.

Because Ubuntu and Linux are synonyms? You know a lot about Linux, bro?

Vesper73

Maybe you're just thinking of Phil Fish. I want to believe you are confused.

...I ..... love your avatar..........

Anyone ever heard The Cure B-side called, "This Twilight Garden"? Join me! /raises glass

:)

ps. Wiping my MacBook and putting Ubuntu on it. Is it wrong?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

xJavonta

Banned
Laugh at the stupid company behind this decision, Canonical, not all of Linux at large. There's plenty of Linux groups out there who would never pull this kind of bullshit.

True, Canonical isn't a representative of the entire Linux userbase. That was just my blind dislike of the Linux OS talking.

But I'm guessing Canonical isn't liked by the mass Linux userbase either haha

jaypah

I thought Halo was a pretty cool franchise. True, I've never played part 4 and I'm drunk but....the "shit game" comment has to be out of context, right?

edit: I bought SMB on XBLA. Loved it but never finished it. I can blame it on either the 360 d-pad or my alcoholism. Either way, I had fun with it!

Vesper73

I thought Halo was a pretty cool franchise. True, I've never played part 4 and I'm drunk but....the "shit game" comment has to be out of context, right?

edit: I bought SMB on XBLA. Loved it but never finished it. I can blame it on either the 360 d-pad or my alcoholism. Either way, I had fun with it!

Probst my brother!

Teletraan1

Banned
It sucks that Canonical sold this without their permission, it sucks that Team Meat have received no money. It sucks that they choose to air dirty laundry in public. They have a legit case. Settle it and move on, don't fight on the internet. You aren't in grade 9. There is a proper way to present this information and there is what we got. Its poor business acumen all around and I wouldn't want to work with any of these people in the future.

Fewr

Do we know how many copies were sold through Ubuntu's store? Most likely not many, so it is possible they'll get paid as soon as the developer's lawyers get to Ubuntu's office and start knocking at their door.

Game Guru

It sucks that Canonical sold this without their permission, it sucks that Team Meat have received no money. It sucks that they choose to air dirty laundry in public. They have a legit case. Settle it and move on, don't fight on the internet. You aren't in grade 9. There is a proper way to present this information and there is what we got. Its poor business acumen all around and I wouldn't want to work with any of these people in the future.

Team Meat probably doesn't have enough money to sue Canonical, so they decided not to support Canonical. This doesn't mean that they won't support Linux any more than it means they won't support Windows despite not wanting to work with Microsoft.

This confirms why I'll NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER use a Canonical product again

You Sir, have made me remove Ubuntu OS from my pc and installed Debian instead. Thanks.

Could it be that Canonical is in financial shit, that it's reverting to stealing now? :p

I don't understand why some (most?) people people dislike Phil Fish.

Johnathan Blow I understand since he kinda seems like a douche but Phil Fish just came across to me as a guy in a bad situation who was extremely stressed out.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
How anyone found Edmund McMillen unlikable in that movie is beyond me.

guy is an amazing game maker and responsible for 2 of my favourite games this gen. however I found his near tears talk of being a misunderstood kid whose only outlet was games stuff in the indie game documentary to get really grating after a while. Didn't make me hate the guy, he seems passionate and the games speak for themselves, but still, it got annoying.

Johnathan Blow I understand since he kinda seems like a douche but Phil Fish just came across to me as a guy in a bad situation who was extremely stressed out.

Phil Fish actually came across the best in the doco I thought, his issues with ex business partner sounded like real shit. The braid guy just came off as strange as hell.
EDIT: I think Phil Fish cops a lot of hate for that other stuff he said about Japan being shit at making games now, that sounded pretty douchy.

vazel

Banned
No, saying things like "I want to communicate with people, but don't want to meet them because I'd probably wouldn't like them" does.

http://youtu.be/GhaT78i1x2M?t=24s
Because he doesn't spew the usual PR fluff means he's unlikeable? I bet you're the sort of the person that thinks popular people that respond to you on twitter actually like you instead of them just doing it for the good PR.

golem

Why are you so worried about internet etiquette or some strange code of business honor? If someone is ripping someone else off then I want to know about it, so my decisions can be informed.

The_Walrus

Neo Member
Phil Fish actually came across the best in the doco I thought, his issues with ex business partner sounded like real shit. The braid guy just came off as strange as hell.
EDIT: I think Phil Fish cops a lot of hate for that other stuff he said about Japan being shit at making games now, that sounded pretty douchy.

I don't understand why people hate him for that. People hate on him in here because he said something they didn't agree with, but attack someone who doesn't like something Team Meat said. It just seems hypocritical to me. That being said I like Fish and Team Meat, and it's ridiculous that they'd sell the game without permission.

He was INCREDIBLY rude to people on Twitter asking about problems with Fez.

Also the whole 'wasting the free patch which was faulty so now everyone is stuck with the 1.0 version of Fez' thing.

xJavonta

Banned
The braid guy just came off as strange as hell.

Jon Blow is awesome, he's like a game guru lol. But I totally see how people not getting the same vision he had for the game is irritating to him, I mean it's essentially saying his game didn't get the message he intended across.

As for the Phil Fish debacle, I really don't like how people said that what he said the the Japanese guy is racist. If they think that's racist, I don't know if they know what racism is. I also believe one famous Japanese developer agreed with his statement but said that it "came out wrong" or something along those lines.

Edit: If you couldn't tell, I like all of the developers in IG:TM. Tommy and Edmund seemed cool, Jon was insightful and Phil didn't seem like the bad guy everyone made him out to be. People already hated him for Fez being later than expected, they were just looking for another opportunity to yell at him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They've already said they won't work with Microsoft ever again and now they won't ever make a Linux game again. They are quickly depleting their options.
Why won't they work with MS ever again?

All I remember was MS not promoting their game until it became a success already without promotion. And if that's all that there is, that's a pretty shitty reason to break a relationship immediately after its strengthened and can be much more prosperous in the future.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh IGTM was kinda meh but the devs themselves were fine save for Fish. The guy left a bad taste in my mouth.

AlexM

WTF Canonical first the amazon bar thing now this?

I'm getting rid of all Canonical products and switching to Arch Linux now. I was on the fence and this pushed me over.

Rlan

While those guys, being Phil Fish and the Team Meat guys can seem difficult to deal with, it's also because they've had to deal with with a lot of these companies directly.

Even companies that work with small development teams, like Halfbrick, have those guys who can be the buffer so that the game guys can focus on the games. Team Meat and Fez guys are their own producers and pr, and having to do all that, when all you want to do is make a game, can make you extremely biased and frustrated.

And when you see the bullshit that this ubuntu thing you can see it being a real hassle. Those last weeks of Meat Boy would have been hell because they had to make the game AND still talk with Microsoft directly, without some buffer to relay the relevant information.

zoku88

WTF Canonical first the amazon bar thing now this?

I'm getting rid of all Canonical products and switching to Arch Linux now. I was on the fence and this pushed me over.

It's kind of surprising how many Arch users there are on gaf. It feels like the second most popular distro...

JaxJag

Banned
Because he doesn't spew the usual PR fluff means he's unlikeable? I bet you're the sort of the person that thinks popular people that respond to you on twitter actually like you instead of them just doing it for the good PR.

No, I'm a type of person who can see socially awkward people who do not work well with others.

And that's the Team Meat guys.

And I do think they deserve their money. I was just responding to another poster pointing out that these guys have had issues with other companies in the past.

No, I'm a type of person who can see socially awkward people who do not work well with others.

And that's the Team Meat guys.

And I do think they deserve their money. I was just responding to another poster pointing out that these guys have had issues with other companies in the past.

Everyone can see that they're socially awkward, but that doesn't make them unlikable. Completely unrelated things in my opinion.

Vagabundo

From the comment section

davidpitkin said:
Hi Edmund, let's figure the confusion out as soon as possible. There were some crossed wires with the Humble Indie Bundle 5 launch and Super Meat Boy plus the lack of age restrictions in the Ubuntu App Store for Issac but nothing more I thought : (

David Pitkin,Director of Consumer Applications at Canonical.

TaroYamada

Blow at no point sounds like a douche, he's never rude, he's just kind of.... demure. Fish however, spends the entirety of that doc. in a weird, self-absorbed, funk. The swimming underwater with the glasses on? The drinking alone? Violently threatening his ex-partner in his hotel room? Willingly placing himself into most of those situations and then lashing out in anger at others? Including the fans following development of Fez? All for situations he created himself. Then there was the commentary about Japanese games, wasting his XBL patch, saying he didn't care about money when all evidence points to the contrary, comfy couch comments (then wishing he was on steam shortly after XBLA release), winning at IGF twice, the insanely rude twitter commentary, where IIRC, he told an individual to "suck my dick" and bragged about his controversial IGF awards. I'm sure there's more. Guy deserves the hate.

Team Meat came across as the most likable of the bunch, Edmund has some weird tastes, but Tommy was all around likable for me.

They just aren't very likable. Go watch Indie Game: The Movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKV5cqsi3wQ

Oh no! He shared his opinion! How dare he!

I'm really struggling to understand how anyone could've watched that doco and thought Fish came out looking best. To me, he came across like a self-absorbed manchild through his tantrums and obvious inability to communicate or even relate with others. The incredibly troubled development of Fez (even after the ex-business partner issues) comes as no surprise to me at all.

Anyway, this is pretty fucked up. Looks like it's shamed Canonical into giving Team Meat their share of the profits. Hopefully other developers will check whether their Canonical have pulled the same shit with their games.

It's kind of surprising how many Arch users there are on gaf. It feels like the second most popular distro...

I dunno, there seems to be more Mint users than Arch. judging by most posts I have seen. But yeah. Arch is still a pretty popular distro these days.

pants

Is Shuttleworth still involved with Ubuntu? I cant see a company he manages to be involved in these kind of acts, he always came off as a stand up guy to me.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh no! He shared his opinion! How dare he!
The only part that irked me was "I don't make shit games", which screams of arrogance and isn't a very good trait to have. But it was also displayed during the whole hacking SMB leaderboard thingy, so I guess it's just who they are. You certainly can't say things like that when you are this big budget developer, I mean so far I haven't seen it but I imagine it would be quite the shitstorm

Is Shuttleworth still involved with Ubuntu? I cant see a company he manages to be involved in these kind of acts, he always came off as a stand up guy to me.

He has also changed. His outright dismissal of community concerns has become a constant refrain. He went from that cool billionaire who knows what he's talking about to the hand-waving "we do things our way, sit down and do what we tell you" lord of the underworld.

Top Bottom