• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy sold on Ubuntu without consent, Team Meat went a year without payment

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The only part that irked me was "I don't make shit games", which screams of arrogance and isn't a very good trait to have. But it was also displayed during the whole hacking SMB leaderboard thingy, so I guess it's just who they are. You certainly can't say things like that when you are this big budget developer, I mean so far I haven't seen it but I imagine it would be quite the shitstorm

Eh, they're confident and rightfully so. The games they've made have been good (one lol), theres nothing really wrong with being good and knowing it. If you're self aware enough to know that what you're making is good, then you won't be plagued with constant delays and anxiety of your game not being good enough.

I can see why it looks shitty at face value, but I think there are some positive attributes to it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Eh, they're confident and rightfully so. The games they've made have been good (one lol), theres nothing really wrong with being good and knowing it. If you're self aware enough to know that what you're making is good, then you won't be plagued with constant delays and anxiety of your game not being good enough.

I can see why it looks shitty at face value, but I think there are some positive attributes to it.
If you say "I don't make shit games" it's not being confident at all, how are you seeing it that way? It's the very definition of arrogant, you are looking down on others, how is that confident? It's not even overconfidence, it's just plain arrogance.

what happend exactly?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410499&page=94

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
what happend exactly?

Instead of having the game send data to a leaderboard server or web script, the game contained a direct connection to the leaderboard's MySQL server as an admin account. Someone playing around with the game found the connection string, and thus had an administrative username and password. That guy contacted Team Meat to say "woah, guys, amateur hour, you really want to fix this". They wrote back "deal with it scrub, we're professionals, you don't know what you're talking about". Guy made the vulnerability public (without disclosing the username/password). Hordes of vikings messed with the leaderboards and map submission databases and junked a lot of data. Team Meat's reaction: "What a bunch of jerks" rather than "Mea culpa, we were dumb not to address that issue or for it to be there in the first place".

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Instead of having the game send data to a leaderboard server or web script, the game contained a direct connection to the leaderboard's MySQL server as an admin account. Someone playing around with the game found the connection string, and thus had an administrative username and password. That guy contacted Team Meat to say "woah, guys, amateur hour, you really want to fix this". They wrote back "deal with it scrub, we're professionals, you don't know what you're talking about". Guy made the vulnerability public (without disclosing the username/password). Hordes of vikings messed with the leaderboards and map submission databases and junked a lot of data. Team Meat's reaction: "What a bunch of jerks" rather than "Mea culpa, we were dumb not to address that issue or for it to be there in the first place".

Yeah I remember that. That was pretty dumb on their part.

Anyway, do we know Canonical's excuse for selling the game without their consent and still not paying them? And can we somehow find out how much had been sold through their store?

Hi Edmund, let's figure the confusion out as soon as possible. There were some crossed wires with the Humble Indie Bundle 5 launch and Super Meat Boy plus the lack of age restrictions in the Ubuntu App Store for Issac but nothing more I thought : (

"crossed wires" lol what a joke

Ooh god why.
There is nothing more damaging than a person not willing to take criticism or tips in software development.

pants

He has also changed. His outright dismissal of community concerns has become a constant refrain. He went from that cool billionaire who knows what he's talking about to the hand-waving "we do things our way, sit down and do what we tell you" lord of the underworld.

That's very disappointing :/

JaxJag

Banned

Sounds like someone who's not very likable.

Blizzard

Banned
Do some of you seriously believe that some kind of evil plan to fuck over this one particular developer is more likely than they making a mistake somewhere?
Yeah, "Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence" or whatnot. I suspect that all of the details aren't out yet, and it might be best for us to wait before drawing conclusions one way or the other.

They've already said they won't work with Microsoft ever again and now they won't ever make a Linux game again. They are quickly depleting their options.

isn't the binding of isaac coming to xbox live? psn and vita also if I am not mistaken.

Top Bottom