• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

FSLink

Banned
I at least keep the extra 2 buttons on there for training mode. A lot of games nowadays can let you bind a record and dummy play buttons so I tend to use them for that.

Chairhome

Need some advice.

I'm not a huge arcade stick expert (meaning the differences between different joysticks and buttons are a little lost on me), but I do prefer using them for fighting games. I have 2 360 Hori EX sticks (that are supposedly terrible to mod) as well as a Tekken 5 stick for ps2.

I'm thinking about modding my T5 stick with an mc cthulhu. I primarily want to use it on PS3, and my PS2 to PS3 USB adapter has stopped working. I can use my 360 hori ex on my pc with no problem, so I would probably only use my T5 stick on PS3. Should I get a cthulhu, or just find a cheap PS3 controller and use the pcb? Leaning towards cthulhu since its solderless. Or are there other options? Cheap PS3 stick?

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
What PS2 to PS3 converter did you use before? You can get the reliable inPin from Etokki as well as the Xtokki 360 for PS2 to 360 use.

Unrelated comment: I should be getting my Etokki Omni this week. Aris should be getting his too. Can't wait to try out a Korean stick for a focused period!

Need some advice.

I'm not a huge arcade stick expert (meaning the differences between different joysticks and buttons are a little lost on me), but I do prefer using them for fighting games. I have 2 360 Hori EX sticks (that are supposedly terrible to mod) as well as a Tekken 5 stick for ps2.

I'm thinking about modding my T5 stick with an mc cthulhu. I primarily want to use it on PS3, and my PS2 to PS3 USB adapter has stopped working. I can use my 360 hori ex on my pc with no problem, so I would probably only use my T5 stick on PS3. Should I get a cthulhu, or just find a cheap PS3 controller and use the pcb? Leaning towards cthulhu since its solderless. Or are there other options? Cheap PS3 stick?

Hori EX hard to mod? The EX should be the same formfactor as the Tekken 5, with a JLF lever and generic buttons on quick disconnects. One of the easiest retail sticks out there to swap parts.

If you're solely aiming to mod your stick for PS3 support only and don't care about anything else, buying a third party PS3 controller (or even a generic USB HID controller) would certainly be cheaper, assuming you have the requisite skill to make use of another controller's PCB.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
Hori EX hard to mod? The EX should be the same formfactor as the Tekken 5, with a JLF lever and generic buttons on quick disconnects. One of the easiest retail sticks out there to swap parts.

If you're solely aiming to mod your stick for PS3 support only and don't care about anything else, buying a third party PS3 controller (or even a generic USB HID controller) would certainly be cheaper, assuming you have the requisite skill to make use of another controller's PCB.

He might be referring to the small EX sticks not the Real Arcade Pro EX model.

I'm planning on taking a flight to another state (within the US) for the holidays this year. Would I have any problems carrying my stick on me on the plane or would have to put it in my luggage?

Chairhome

He might be referring to the small EX sticks not the Real Arcade Pro EX model.

That would be an EX2, not an EX, unless you're referring to the Mini EX (which isn't even out yet).

Regardless of names, if he is referring to that model, it might be a bit challenging.
Yeah,sorry.the ex2. I'll look into converters for now,thanks for the suggestions

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
It's Christmas in October!!!!

EtokkiOmniKoreanAtHome.jpg

Got Japanese parts to try out after analyzing the Korean aspect.

AAK

It's Christmas in October!!!!

Got Japanese parts to try out after analyzing the Korean aspect.

I'm actually really interested in this stick after mine broke down. One thing though, is there a compartment to place the wire in? That's a big problem with my Hori HRAP. When transporting it from place to place the wire would stretch and tear in my bags.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
I'm actually really interested in this stick after mine broke down. One thing though, is there a compartment to place the wire in? That's a big problem with my Hori HRAP. When transporting it from place to place the wire would stretch and tear in my bags.

Unfortunately there isn't any compartment. What I do for something with wires hanging out is to tie it around my thumb and pinky in an open palm then the last 10% of the wire around the main circle and the last 5% going through one of the halves separated by the middle wrap. I put one of the halves on the arcade lever which can stick pretty well especially ones with ball tops. I make sure everything is tightened but not too tight

Have there been any other releases of the MadCatz V.S. sticks? I'm not feeling SFxT but those controllers are sexy.

Also, Other than the HSS-0130 (the old Saturn candy cab double controller) have there been other "2 player" arcade sticks released?

Part of the charm of the V.S. sticks is the ability to link together. I've been wanting a 2p stick for a long long time but the HSS-0130 is just so damn expensive.

Doombear

What do you guys think about using laptop tables like this for arcade sticks?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00120818/

dave-laptop-table__73085_PE189490_S4.jpg

I use that exact table. Dave holds up quite well. I have never once had that table unlock from its two positions if I didn't want it to. It has the flat plane, and then one more lockable setting at a slight downward angle, which I find perfect for the way I play. They are cheap as hell, but work very well for me. Being able to adjust the height as well is perfect.

Yes Boss!

I used the LACK side table in combination with a plastic IKEA children's stool for a long time. Stable and close to candy cab height.

These days I just use my lap or lay the stick on the floor in front of me.

I sit on the floor and use an arcade stick box as a table...the MC ones since the Hori boxes are too weak. Lately I've been using a PS3 box, which is perfect height.

I use that exact table. Dave holds up quite well. I have never once had that table unlock from its two positions if I didn't want it to. It has the flat plane, and then one more lockable setting at a slight downward angle, which I find perfect for the way I play. They are cheap as hell, but work very well for me. Being able to adjust the height as well is perfect.

Cool, appreciate it. I think I'm going to give them a try.

knee

How feasible would it be to build a stick out of it? As in drilling directly into the wood/mdf?

I sit on the floor and use an arcade stick box as a table...the MC ones since the Hori boxes are too weak. Lately I've been using a PS3 box, which is perfect height.

That's what I should do. My old back really doesn't appreciate me hunching over to play from the floor.

Doombear

How feasible would it be to build a stick out of it? As in drilling directly into the wood/mdf?

Hmm, might not be too bad. I would worry about the holes for the buttons weakening the shoddy wood too much, but I would think that you could still pull it off. If I were using it as a joystick though, I might think about investing more into its sturdiness. I remember seeing this Manfrotto Tripod hacked onto it from a while back and thinking it looked alright. Of course most Manfrotto tripods worth anything are going to cost about 10 times the amount you paid for the table =P

BOTEC

Oh man,

The stick is already quirky. Now it has eight buttons? Kind bummer...six and teeny form-factor is what made it.

Gonna have to get one since it is a variation and the terrible "Easy" nomenclature. Releases on my birthday.

"'Easy' nomenclature?" As in "Easy Operation?" Or is this a label Exar uses on other products?

Yes Boss!

That's what I said. Makes no damn sense.

And how about that Guilty Gear silent stick? Is there a release date?

GG silent stick came out last month. Famitsu shop so a bit of a challenge (expensive) to get. MM posted his in the pick-up thread. I got mine last month but it is in so cal waiting.

Moving back to the US in 13 days! Yay!

BOTEC

GG silent stick came out last month. Famitsu shop so a bit of a challenge (expensive) to get. MM posted his in the pick-up thread. I got mine last month but it is in so cal waiting.

Moving back to the US in 13 days! Yay!

Yeah, I just did a little bit 'net legwork and noticed that. Fuck that, I'll grab the parts from foucusattack and throw them into a spare case I have kicking around.

DSC00466.jpg

Cross post from the pick up thread. My second arcade stick. I have a Qanba Q4 and didn't think I would need another one as a casual fighting game player. But when on a holiday I saw this and had to buy it. Its beautiful.

Yet to use it as I only just got back so lots of unpacking and cleaning to do. Can't wait to sit down and play some TTT2 and SSF4:AE later tonight.

Start of a collection?? :|

EDIT: Can anyone give me a brief explanation of what turbo is for? Or if/when I would ever want to use it. I don't understand.

Thanks

Yes Boss!

Ordered one of these from the eightarc site. Seems quite cool with the in-line button layout and magnetic storage doors. Something a bit different. Appreciate the 360-colored rings. i know they are not necessary since they are not licensed but a nice touch. And a nice generic design:

46E4A651-A3ED-4209-893D-9B89AAAA0960-4041-0000058EA9D5ABD6.jpg

(Waiting patiently for the MC Wii U stick reveal!)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
DSC00466.jpg

Cross post from the pick up thread. My second arcade stick. I have a Qanba Q4 and didn't think I would need another one as a casual fighting game player. But when on a holiday I saw this and had to buy it. Its beautiful.

Yet to use it as I only just got back so lots of unpacking and cleaning to do. Can't wait to sit down and play some TTT2 and SSF4:AE later tonight.

Start of a collection?? :|

EDIT: Can anyone give me a brief explanation of what turbo is for? Or if/when I would ever want to use it. I don't understand.

Thanks

Turbo is just what it is, it allows for two different speeds of rapid button presses by holding down the respective button that has turbo enabled. It is not needed and is looked down upon in competitive play.

In Street Fighter, there are benefits to having it. In TEKKEN, it will get you killed.

EDIT: Also, pictures of the products look way better when someone takes it vs our stock photos ! <3

Uncle AJ

Update to my stick I posted earlier

A4QHISCCQAA536u.jpg:large

I wanted metallic-looking buttons and couldn't find anything that even came close on focusattack.com, and plastic dye wouldn't give it that "sheen" I wanted, so decided to order some clear/translucent buttons and go the paint route.

This was my first time trying anything like this so it took some trial and error. So a couple of tips for anyone thinking about painting their buttons:

- Separate the plunger from the chamber, paint them separately, and wrap everything except the surface in masking tape before painting. If paint gets in the sides it will cause friction between the two parts every time you press the button, which pretty much makes them worthless.
- Plastic primer paint goes on first, then the color paint you want. (I got some silver Tamiya Color spray paint designed specifically for painting polycarbonate plastic)
- Don't add more paint later after your first batch has dried, it'll cause the paint to crack. Which is actually how my final product turned out. It gives the buttons a sort of rough texture, but not to the point of being uncomfortable... I actually kind of dig it.
- Spray some sealing gloss over the top to make sure your fingers can slide off the buttons easily (and obviously to prevent the paint from eroding from the constant abuse of your sweaty fingers). I've been using this stick for 2 weeks now and they still look perfect.

Now to deal with that Xbox guide button... or the joystick if I'm really crazy.

Zissou

Does anyone here have experience dyeing plastic? I was thinking about dyeing the side panels of one of my TE sticks black and was wondering how difficult it would be.

Top Bottom