• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Loona

Doesn't it have an install option?...

As an aside, there's a guy making a translated playthrogh of SRW Alpha 3, starting with the Selena route: http://technikaz.blogspot.ca/search/label/Super Robot Wars Alpha 3

I've only just barely started, and it a reminder of how much importance the devs like to give to their originals compared to the cast used to actually sell the game, but I'll try and persist.

Anyway, one interesting thing I noticed is that an early Selena scene has her using a whip on a guy, and it turns out her mech has a similar weapon as well - I recall reading that Axel Almar in Endless Frontier EXCEED gets to use moves similar to his mech's, and Sanger in Project X Zone also gets to use a few tricks his bot does while on foot.
I wonder how many more cases like this exist among Banpresto originals... (and there's also that fighter Roar kid, although Compatible Kaiser's moves probably differ from his).
Next thing you know they have a cast ready for a fighting game - with the Endless Frontier precedent they already have some groundwork ready.

Ken

Doesn't it have an install option?...

How do you install?

Ah I found it. But when I enter that option and choose the option on the left, the game pauses briefly where I don't have any options to select and then sends me back to the same two options. Maybe I already data installed? I have 3 GB left on my memory card so it shouldn't be a space issue?

CorvoSol

Hey, I hope bumping this thread isn't a big sin, but I've been playing through Super Robot Wars J recently and it's really addictive! I'm planning on playing SRW W afterward, and I wanted to know if there was a more complete story translation than MNeidegard's floating around out there on the internets.

In anycase, I cannot believe how hooked on these games I've become!

Loona

Hey, I hope bumping this thread isn't a big sin, but I've been playing through Super Robot Wars J recently and it's really addictive! I'm planning on playing SRW W afterward, and I wanted to know if there was a more complete story translation than MNeidegard's floating around out there on the internets.

This isn't quite "more complete", but it goes scene-by-scene based on that translation: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475303

Bebpo

Banned
I'm around 3/4ths through SRW OGs Gaiden now and this stage I just did (#29) was an INSANE pain in the ass. It's the one where you have to collect the 4 daggers without killing any of them (5500HP, have to get them down to ~1250hp or less) and then you have to fight a whole array of bosses finalizing with the Grey haired older brother Carnage's mech which has like A BIJILLION HP, a high dodge rate meaning you need to use SP to even hit him, does insane damage meaning will instant kill anyone who attacks him unless you use MORE SP to dodge or 10 damage negate his counter, and he HP regens so you have to pound on him continuously over 2-3 turns.

Barely got through that map after like 2-3 hours.

So I'm a little worried about the rest of the final boss maps remaining. Since multiple guys like this on a map create a HUGE problem where basically every mech in my party has to use SP for both accuracy & dodge and you do that + nekketsu and in 1-2 rounds your entire team is out of SP and no one can hit the boss anymore or dodge his instant kill counters.

...what is the best way to get around this problem? I know support attacks are REALLY REALLY useful (even though they don't do a lot of damage) since the supporters can't be counter-attacked and you just throw accuracy on them and have them attack through support.

But is there any other strategy? Should I be putting that "SP usage cut by 20%" skill on everyone and buffing up max SPs?

Also, is it worth deploying the SRX & R-Wing (or whatever the violetta turns into a gun combo unit is called) just to be able to use that final combination SRX Gun attack on the final bosses? Yeah it's a good attack and yeah having 3 seishin banks is nice. But the deploy counts are kind of low in this game and that's 4 spots that could be used for 4 strong individual boss killer units.

Shouta

SP regen is probably best for longer maps because it gives you some back every turn. Concentration and SP up is helpful too if you have the spare SP. Focusing on a few big hitters and then just letting them spam their attacks is a good idea as well. the SRX takes up 4 slots but if you build them right, you can get more than enough attacks out of them to be worth the 4 slots.

A single buffed support attack unit that's upgraded and has the 100% damage for support attacks skill will also help as it adds 4 extra attacks per turn. In particular, an energy based unit will be helpful because it lasts longer than bullets.

Bebpo

Banned
One problem I have is that you don't get enough PP in one run of OGG. I'm getting near end game and I've been able to buy like 1-2 skills max for my average character. There's not enough grunts. Maps tend to be short and tough boss heavy instead of grunt filled like z2 @ Alpha 3. This means not much PP, not much $$.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze through the last maps and then it's on to 2nd OGs which will be a lot more fun.

What other 3 units could you possibly replace the SRX with though? I honestly don't remember an over abundance of units that of units that are great for taking down bosses. SRX, Daizengar/Aussenseiter being the best ones.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze through the last maps and then it's on to 2nd OGs which will be a lot more fun.
You would think so. But, the first 3/4s of the game are not all that much easier. Certainly more difficult than OGs. Also really Z2 isn't a good comparison, that game was beyond broken. You could max out units that you weren't even using, or would never use just because the game threw so much cash in your face.

Bebpo

Banned
My strong units are basically:

Daizengar/Assuenseiter
G Compat Kaiser
Red Carnage Folka dude who is my best unit
Grugunst Type 0
Ryuohko
Eternal / Lightning frame
Alt x Weiss ghost rampage
Gilliam's Grungust is pretty killer strong with good range
Cybuster (who unfortunately blows through SP quick)
Twin Bird Strike couple

And I'm probably missing a few others. The deploy counts are pretty low in OGG.

Is there any point in using the ART1? If you're just going to combined R1 to SRX it seems kind of useless to deploy the ART1.

You would think so. But, the first 3/4s of the game are not all that much easier. Certainly more difficult than OGs. Also really Z2 isn't a good comparison, that game was beyond broken. You could max out units that you weren't even using, or would never use just because the game threw so much cash in your face.

Oh, that's a shame. I haven't been following the 2nd OGs thread but I thought I heard it was easy and grunt filled like the Z series and not a pain in the ass like the OGs/OGG series. I plan to play it on normal and not go for the skill points, so I'm hoping I can just have fun and blow through the story.

Shouta

You can use Art1 and R1's Combination attack with Mai if you deploy her in that.

So for a single round you can get

2 Buster Cannons, 2 R-Formations, and 1 T-Link Combo which is a lot of attack power. That's not counting the fact that Ryuusei gets Awaken which means you can keep using Buster cannons as long as you have SP and EN. EN is easy because Aya has the Refuel spirit.

Bebpo

Banned
Huh, but if you're in SRX you can't use the combination...right? Since I always combine the SRX right away, I just never see the point in using the ART1.

Bebpo

Banned
Also, just a general thing for the OG series that I've never figured out. Is it worth pumping your PP into Infight/Gunfight levels? Do you get more damage from +1 level of Infight then you would have if you just pumped that same amount of PP into the Physical attack stat?

Huh, but if you're in SRX you can't use the combination...right? Since I always combine the SRX right away, I just never see the point in using the ART1.

You can separate the SRX into back into individual units, have the R-2 and R-3 move/attack, recombine back into SRX with Ryusei and still move and attack that turn.

Oh, that's a shame. I haven't been following the 2nd OGs thread but I thought I heard it was easy and grunt filled like the Z series and not a pain in the ass like the OGs/OGG series. I plan to play it on normal and not go for the skill points, so I'm hoping I can just have fun and blow through the story.
Well the balance of the game is entirely different. The maps are bigger, there are more enemies and there are no bullshit bosses like in OGG. But your whole squad gets a significant nerf compared to the previous games. So OGG remains the hardest game in the series but 2nd OGs in my opinion is notably more difficult than OGs.
That said, you gain extra range and movement for maxing Gunfight and Infight which can make using the unit a bit easier. So the trade-off is a bit more damage vs a bit more usability.
And it's no longer relevant in 2nd OGs since only Zanger and Ratsel keep it as their innate skill. And it's no longer available to anyone else.

Shouta

Uncombine it, use the combination with ART-1, then recombine into SRX. Don't use it with Ryuusei.

As a general rule, Infight and Gunfight at max levels has about half the efficiency of just pumping that that stat with the weapon. So if you got 1000 more damage with Infight, you'd probably get 1500-2000 by just pumping the stat. However, that's at max level and at lower levels, I think it may work in the skill's favor.

That said, you gain extra range and movement for maxing Gunfight and Infight which can make using the unit a bit easier. So the trade-off is a bit more damage vs a bit more usability.

Bebpo

Banned
You can separate the SRX into back into individual units, have the R-2 and R-3 move/attack, recombine back into SRX with Ryusei and still move and attack that turn.

Well the balance of the game is entirely different. The maps are bigger, there are more enemies and there are no bullshit bosses like in OGG. But your whole squad gets a significant nerf compared to the previous games. So OGG remains the hardest game in the series but 2nd OGs in my opinion is notably more difficult than OGs.

And it's no longer relevant in 2nd OGs since only Zanger and Ratsel keep it as their innate skill. And it's no longer available to anyone else.

Can you explain that a bit? What did they do to nerf your team?

Shouta

Terrain rankings were moved down so B is the most common so, A and S really mean a lot. A lot of skills were removed for purchase as well so attack power inflation isn't as rampant (Attacker and Infight/Gunfight for example) and SP Regen is a unique skill to a few characters. Characters also only have 5 Seishin commands and twin skills are generally a lot more unique. Exhaust is also a fairly rare skill as well.

To coincide though, most enemies are tuned down so they aren't as crazy powerful and there isn't HP inflation at play like Gaiden. Some skills are really buff now and units with shileds automatically use them when defending, taking 10% less damage.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
SP pools don't grow wildly out of control like say in Z2, so even if you have exhaust you can't really spam it. Like say Crow could cast it 5 times on his own.

The biggest one would be that Valor/Hot Blood is a late game spirit command and no one gets it until lvl 50 or later. It's a huge damage nerf across the board for early game. All the really powerful skills can no longer be earned, stuff like Attacker, SP Regen, Gun/In Fight. Only a few select characters have those abilities, to make your pilots more unique. Also pilot skills seem to cost a lot more PP and you don't seem to earn too much of it in a single play through.

End game bosses aren't hard so it's not really a big nerf. But your team does feel weaker compared to other SRW games I played.

To coincide though, most enemies are tuned down so they aren't as crazy powerful and there isn't HP inflation at play like Gaiden. Some skills are really buff now and units with shileds automatically use them when defending, taking 10% less damage.
On the other hand most bosses have Prevail and a lot of them have Guard as well. So they are much tougher for early game.

Shouta

If you build units for SP spam, it works. I had a few characters that were like that. Using the SP items helped too. Draining that morale to 50 before going all out is hot.

Shouta

It's not hard if you're playing it smart. Just take your time, make sure to cover the weaknesses of the units you want to use and don't even really need to get all of the Skill Points. You'll want enough but you don't need to push yourself to get the harder ones.

Bebpo

Banned
Is it at least a great SRW? I can deal with a less powerhousing, tougher SRW if it's a good SRW otherwise.

I have to say though, my favorite part of the gameplay in SRW games is being a group of overpowered mechs recking destruction on everything in their path. It feels so badass!

6 stages to go in OGG...

Did the SRX lineup with R-Gun and ART1 and uncombine Double Knuckle, combine Buster Cannon R-Gun, Buster Cannon SRX. That is pretty good getting 3 strong attacks in a turn. The problem is getting morale high enough to do those attacks on some of these low grunt maps >_<

Shouta

I definitely think it's a great game. Story-wise, it's in a sort of an odd position because the overarching concept is Alpha 2 but it does what it needs to well enough.

2nd OGS isn't as difficult as previous SRW games but I think it's difficulty is in a good place. Not too hard, not too easy.

I was gritting my teeth on some stages and only had to restart a few times.

I also got all skill points which I usually don't do in other games.

Bebpo

Banned
The stage in OGG where you fight the head of the Shuura dudes is omg. When he came out in his ultimate form I freaked the fuck out and was like "shit, how...is this possible??" and then when I saw next round EVERYONE GOT THEIR SP COMPLETELY RESTORED I was like...oh, ok; and it was fine.

But man, if they didn't restore your SP, that would have been insane. LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT REMAINING 3 STAGES after that.

Jubern

The penultimate stage of OGG is the worst SRW stage I ever played, among the few games I finished (@, @2, Z, Z2-Z2-2, W, OGs, OGG). Admittedly it's better if you don't go for the SR Point.
I hope you have SP Regen for, like, everyone. Last stage isn't much better by the way, it's just that there's no SR Point.

Neither of those is hard, it's just incredibly tedious. There's *nothing* happening in these stages yet it took me like 2-3 hours for each of them because of the amount of HP every mob has and the SR Point requirement in the penultimate stage. It sucked because until then I absolutely LOVED the game and the overall weaksauce last stages kind of lowered my opinion of it.

Last stage isn't much better by the way, it's just that there's no SR Point.
Are you kidding? The last stage is a complete joke compared to the what you had to do before. It's an easy stroll in the park of hammering on a very easy boss.
Made easier by the fact that there are a ton of grunts to blow up that don't have 200K HP and wont murder your units on counter attack.

Jubern

Maybe I remember wrong. In my mind, the last stage is
Neo Granzon + Granzon lookalike with lots of HPs? And the stage before that was Dark Brain + the 5 or so "grunts" with an incredible amount of HPs?

I don't remember the difference in "difficulty" except for the fact that since there is no SR point on the last stage, so I bum rushed poor
Shu
. The motherfucker went down pretty hard.

... Typing this, I realize how different it sounds from the previous stage. Okay, last stage is a breeze^^'

Bebpo

Banned
The penultimate stage of OGG is the worst SRW stage I ever played, among the few games I finished (@, @2, Z, Z2-Z2-2, W, OGs, OGG). Admittedly it's better if you don't go for the SR Point.
I hope you have SP Regen for, like, everyone. Last stage isn't much better by the way, it's just that there's no SR Point.

Neither of those is hard, it's just incredibly tedious. There's *nothing* happening in these stages yet it took me like 2-3 hours for each of them because of the amount of HP every mob has and the SR Point requirement in the penultimate stage. It sucked because until then I absolutely LOVED the game and the overall weaksauce last stages kind of lowered my opinion of it.

I only have SP regen on about half to 2/3rds of my main units. Zengar & Pal don't have it so I lose their combo attack after a few times :(

But SRX has it, so I can probably prevail.

Shouta

Yeah, OGG has a lot of shitty HP inflation. It's not that hard honestly but it just takes a long time.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, OGG has a lot of shitty HP inflation. It's not that hard honestly but it just takes a long time.

It is hard though because of HP regen. It's one thing for a boss to have a ton of HP and you wear it down over rounds. Then it's just tedious.

But with HP regen, if you're not doing enough damage to outmatch the regen per turn, you literally cannot beat the boss. That makes it tough. Especially since you have to deal with draining EN/SP, running out of support attacks.

Honestly, HP regen is my most hated stat in all SRW games. Otherwise, I'm ok with anything they throw at me. But HP regen on tough bosses with ridiculous defense (so you do almost no damage without hot blood) is scary.

Shouta

I didn't have a problem on that front but I did learn my lesson from OGs and SP regen'd everyone and pumped the SRX so much it was actually pretty ridiculous. lol

Bebpo

Banned
Is Cybuster a good unit in 2nd OGs?

I'm pretty disappointed by how shitty it is in OGG since it's my favorite original. Loved LoE1 because of how badass it was.

Shouta

Yeah, it's quite good. OGs and OGG version is the basic version while 2nd OGs is where Psybuster should be. It lacks an ALL attack though which is the only major downside. Otherwise, it has super high attack power and a good mix of ammo and EN attacks. Make sure you get enough kills to unlock its hidden attack though. That'll cover any holes it has for bosses.

Bebpo

Banned
Its main problem in OGG is that Masaki has god-awful accuracy and his seishin costs are really high. So he burns through seishin and then is useless since he can't hit much. He also has the problem that his best attack cosmic nova is 1 use only so he's not much of a boss killer. He's really just good for throwing on concentrate, sending out front and letting him counter low/mid level grunts with akashic buster until he runs out of EN. But most good units in OG can already do that, plus be useful for boss fights, so he's a bit bad. If he at least had really high dodge/accuracy like the god of freaking wind should, he'd be an awesome super real robot. But he doesn't. Oh and lack of ALL attack sucks too. As does his map attack being really weak unless upgraded to high amounts.

Bebpo

Banned
Also, kind of random but I'm going to be so glad when I beat OGG just so I can get off my PS2 and onto my PS3. My PS2 has had this near-death problem on the controller port for a year or two now where you have to press really really hard sometimes for buttons to register or sometimes they just don't register at all or the controller turns itself off! So I have to unplug and replug in the controller.

Unfortunately I still have a sizeable backlog of PS2 rpgs/srpgs to get through one day. Fortunately I don't really care about playing any of them besides finishing OGG and ToDr.

Shouta

Well, most of his stats have been adjusted so it's better for doing everything now so he should be more to your liking. His custom bonus also boosts Cosmo Nova now so if you get that + B-Save, you get 3 shots of it but, even if you don't, his secret attack is quite good as well.

I kind of just used Masaki to wreck grunts for most of the game, he ended up with a 700 kill count by the end of my 1st playthrough. And if you think the unit has some flaws, it's not really difficult to cover for them. Aim and evasion are upgradable stats on the unit so that shouldn't be an issue for majority of the game. But there is also a good deal of characters with attune to if you need that 100% guaranteed hit. Or you can stick some optional parts on cybuster.

Personally I put a mega generator and a propellant tank so I could cyflash even more. Really the game isn't difficult enough that you can't use any unit you like as much as you want. Although the masou kishin units are absent for a large portion of the game, so you should be careful of that.

Bebpo

Banned
Last two stages of OGG = WORST STAGES EVER. Jesus christ.

Dark Brain took me like 4 hours. You don't understand the pain of spending 20 mins taking your KILL.THE.BOSS.TURN only to have the boss left with 5k HP and no more units available. Had that happen THREE TIMES. Always between 5-12k of 600k left. Just needed 1 more attack. But nope, and if you can't kill the boss in that turn, you lose because next turn he regains 30%HP and is back at 200k and you have no SP on anyone so you can't even do 200k damage anymore. So bullshit.

And then GODDAMN SHUU. I THOUGHT THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE EASY. I guess it's slightly easier than Dark Brain. Only took 2.5 hours and failed twice getting him down to <20k but unable to finish him and then he regains 200k. Shuu wasn't hard but the whole thing where he GUARDS EVERY ATTACK for the first 300k of his life with 30% HP regen means you have to go ALL OUT and spend all your SP, support attacks, EN just to get him halfway. Then he opens his guard and is actually beatable but you just SPENT ALL YOUR SHIT, so wearing down that last 300k is still hard as all things SRW.

Those two stages were miserable and I never...ever want to see anything like them in a SRW game again. Ugh. Ending was decent. Really sets up 2nd OGs. Looking forward to starting that now.

Was kind of disappointed that the big epic climax of Masaki/Shuu storyline was just 1 epilogue map where he's like "alright, all the aliens are gone, let's fight! Oh here's Neo Granzon. Noooo I'm dead; oh well; Masaka - baka yarouuuu Shuu. Ok, that whole plot is over with". I dunno, I feel like there's so much invested in the Masaki/Shuu story arc as it runs in LoE1 first half -> across OG1, OG2, and then OGG that I always thought the conclusion would be super epic and awesome. The final battle. But it was just ok. Look forward to doing the 2nd half of LoE1 in 2nd OGs.

The Shuura/Carnage storyline was pretty solid and the units and their animations were fun. SRW R's story was kind of lolz. Compat Kaiser's stuff was alright. I don't like how GCompat Kaiser just looks like Dancougar Nova and all the other mechs by that dude.

Anyhow...WORST BOSSES EVER

Oh and then there's the whole thing where you start these final boss stages with no grunts to build KI, so you gotta spend your first dozen turns using SP to pump everyone's will and then regen the SP back. I think the Dark Brain map was like 55 turns by the time I beat it thanks to having to regen so much SP. NEVER AGAIN

Jubern

Ahah yeah that's exactly what I did for morale.

The "trick" I used to beat the last bosses more easily was to use that weapon that paralyzes one target for a whole turn. I think there are only two of those in the game : one on the second Wild Wurger and the one somewhere else (maybe on the Granzon? I remember using Shu for that purpose against Dark Brain). It breaks the game, but I didn't care considering the bullshit they pulled on us with those last stages.

Shouta

Yeah, lots of HP, lol. I built my groups exactly the way I needed to when I beat it the first time so I actually beat the last two bosses in a few turns after I got enough SP from skipping enough turns. Actually, they're beatable on one run on a New Game+ because of all the PP and cash you get but yeah, you really need to know exactly how to pump your units up to do so.

MechaX

I have to say, if there is one thing that my constant use of the Garmraid in 2nd OGs has sparked, it's that now I'm actually pretty interested in playing MX.

It seems like it has a pretty interesting roster too. Is it more like W where it's an easy game, but it has some really unique and good series in it?

Well unique in the sense that a bunch of those series were re-used in spin off games for GBA and DS but never really made it into a mainline SRW.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I know you guys must be sick of this question but you've gotta understand that I'm an italian born in the late 70's, I grew up with Grendizer (Goldrake), Mazinger, Gundam, Getter Robot, Gordian, Super Robot 28 (Tetsujin 28 Go iirc), Jeeg and such. I've always drooled at this series, my dream is one day to get a good action game with my childhood robotto friends but I love srpgs anyway so it pains me not being able to play the SRW series (don't speak japanese), I've played and liked the OG games on GBA but it's just not the same...

So, what's my best bet to play some fully or almost fully fan translated SRW games? There are any, possibly with delicious 2D animations and good story?
I have a JPN Dreamcast, a region-free PS2 (disc drive's dying, sob), JPN/US Gamecube, GBA Micro with flashcart (Mother 3, yay! I've lost my copy from Play Asia while moving to the new house, yay! :/), NDS Lite with flashcart, softmodded Wii, SFC and SMD emus as well of course. On top of those I've got non-modded PS3 and X360, but if a mod is needed I could look into it.
I'd easily buy a $100 game if it was good and there was a translation patch or something, but of course if I can find the games preowned for sub $50 it's even better :p

CorvoSol

So I beat SRWJ the other day, and I thought this game was super awesome. Don't tell anyone, but I thought the story, including the stuff about Touya, was actually pretty good, especially for a video game. I'm playing through SRW W now, and I hope the story turns out to be as good. It's a crying shame these games never get localized.

My favorite units between the two games are:
ARX-7 Arbalest
Wing Zero
Freedom
Mazinkaiser
Tekkaman Blade
Akito Aestivalis
Justice Gundam
Talgeese III.

I want to play SRWUX bad, but region lock is eeeeevil.

Jubern

So, what's my best bet to play some fully or almost fully fan translated SRW games? There are any, possibly with delicious 2D animations and good story?

You'll want to play either J on GBA or Alpha Gaiden on PS1. Alpha Gaiden is the better one.

I'm starting to warm up to UX. Probably won't buy it day one or anything, but I'm currently going through some of the series it covers. Right now I'm watching Linebarrels and reading the manga version (which is better IMO) at the same time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
You'll want to play either J on GBA or Alpha Gaiden on PS1. Alpha Gaiden is the better one.

I'm starting to warm up to UX. Probably won't buy it day one or anything, but I'm currently going through some of the series it covers. Right now I'm watching Linebarrels and reading the manga version (which is better IMO) at the same time.

Alpha Gaiden, definitely.

I'm still iffy about UX, mainly because I don't think I have a way of playing it, short of importing a JP 3DS. Of course, I'm completely oblivious to anything 3DS right now, so if there's a way to play JP games on a non-JP 3DS, I'm prepared to listen to suggestions.

Top Bottom