• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

zeroshiki

The only reason I'm even thinking of getting UX is because of the limited edition 3DS LL. The cast is really crappy and it looks to continue the long tradition of SRW games on Nintendo handhelds being boring.

CorvoSol

The only reason I'm even thinking of getting UX is because of the limited edition 3DS LL. The cast is really crappy and it looks to continue the long tradition of SRW games on Nintendo handhelds being boring.

Super Robot Wars W had Gundam Wing, SEED, AND FMP. It was good.

Bebpo

Banned
Super Robot Wars W had Gundam Wing, SEED, AND FMP. It was good.

Plus:
VOLTRON (errr...GOLION)
All of Gaogaigar including GGG Final!

Cannot roll my eyes any harder. Graphics and low quality chiptunes aside, there have been some great SRW games on the DS (and GBA from what I hear). I love how the DS entries are incredibly fast paced because they fit so many series stories in so few maps. It's a nice breath of fresh air from how long and slow other SRW games can be.

The DS games and now UX also are great because they have a cast of WEIRD NICHE SERIES that you never get to see anywhere else. It makes for interesting stories and fresh team building when you aren't just using GUNDAM MAZINGER GETTER over and over each game. K was sick with GunXSword and Zoids. I think L was the only one with a really weak cast, because so much of it was just re-uses of previous GBA/DS entries.

I'm super hyped for UX. Playing OGG and 2nd OGs makes me realize that while OG is fun, it's never as exciting and HOT BLOODED ACTION as licensed SRW games. Since Z3 is probably 3 years away, I hope we get yearly 3DS low budget C-tier lineup SRW games starting with UX to fill that awesome licensed mecha srpg gap until then. Should be even more satisfying now since it has voices and the 3DS sound chip doesn't suck ass like the DS/GBA/GB one did.

Shouta

K was bad, very bad from mechanics standpoint and the main protag was terrible. GxS was kind of nice and Zoids Genesis is cool entry but it didn't feel like it was handled nearly as well as I thought it could've been. L was a retread for the most part but with Linebarrels and Iczer both were sort of a snore in the game as well. Both have good points but they're definitely pretty meh titles on the whole.

W is the only one that is fairly good. I'm not quite as smitten with it like a lot of folks but Tekkaman Blade getting so much love in that game was very awesome.

Z is definitely where the awesome is and I like OG as much as I like Z, for differing reasons of course.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, I liked K quite a bit. Then again I do love me some GunxSword and Zoids has an amazing battle BGM track (one of the best in licensed SRW).

I'd probably take K over 2nd OGs tbh from what I've played of 2nd OGs. OG always feels like a downgrade from licensed to me.

CorvoSol

It had a pretty lame system and other than FMP, SEED and Wing are in everything.

Is Endless Waltz, though? Because having the Arbalest and Wing Zero Custom was the entire reason I played that game. Plus you get Nadesico AND SEED.

Really I wish FMP could be in more SRW games, but without another season of the show, I don't feel its likely.

Bebpo

Banned
FMP, Tekkaman, Godanner, GunxSword, Astray are all series that would be nice to revist with voices at some point. Maybe since the 3DS ones can just re-use the DS/GBA sprites they'll bring some of those back next time w/voice.

It would be cool though if they put FMP in a mainline high budget entry like Z3.

Shouta

Godannar needs an HD revisit as well. I'd really like it if Dendoh got that treatment too though it was pretty nice in MX.

CorvoSol

FMP, Tekkaman, Godanner, GunxSword, Astray are all series that would be nice to revist with voices at some point. Maybe since the 3DS ones can just re-use the DS/GBA sprites they'll bring some of those back next time w/voice.

It would be cool though if they put FMP in a mainline high budget entry like Z3.

Especially since it would let us finally play as the Laevatein!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You'll want to play either J on GBA or Alpha Gaiden on PS1. Alpha Gaiden is the better one.

I'm starting to warm up to UX. Probably won't buy it day one or anything, but I'm currently going through some of the series it covers. Right now I'm watching Linebarrels and reading the manga version (which is better IMO) at the same time.

Alpha Gaiden, definitely.

I'm still iffy about UX, mainly because I don't think I have a way of playing it, short of importing a JP 3DS. Of course, I'm completely oblivious to anything 3DS right now, so if there's a way to play JP games on a non-JP 3DS, I'm prepared to listen to suggestions.

I'll get them both, thanks guys!
Hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg :p

Andrew J.

Is Endless Waltz, though? Because having the Arbalest and Wing Zero Custom was the entire reason I played that game. Plus you get Nadesico AND SEED.

Endless Waltz has been far more common in SRW than Wing TV. I think Z2 was the first time it appeared since Alpha.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Endless Waltz more or less retconned the last part of the TV series, swapping out their mechs with the EW Customs, and more or less saying that they always had them.

SRW tried to make a plot line to explain the switch in Alpha, and then we've pretty much have had EW units since then, with all the stand-alone SRW games to feature Wing, using the EW mechs.

If they do a Z3, I would think they'd use the EW units again, and probably need to come up with an actual explanation of the switch, like they did in Alpha.

Jubern

What was the explanation in Alpha BTW? I didn't took the Wing routes when I played it and was wondering a little.

Oh and wasn't there also an explanation in the first manga adaptation? I read it a looooong time ago since it was published in France and a friend had it, and seem to remember something along the lines of Heero modifying Zero by himself, which gave the EW look.

CorvoSol

My only problem with Endless Waltz is its incredibly stupid ending. "Hey, trying to blow up our Gundams almost let a madman conquer the world unopposed! LET'S BLOW UP OUR GUNDAMS!"

It's like the heroes learned NOTHING from the events in the movie.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
What was the explanation in Alpha BTW? I didn't took the Wing routes when I played it and was wondering a little.

Oh and wasn't there also an explanation in the first manga adaptation? I read it a looooong time ago since it was published in France and a friend had it, and seem to remember something along the lines of Heero modifying Zero by himself, which gave the EW look.

My Japanese is iffy, but according to a story guide online, the short answer is that the EW units are the "prototype" models, and that the initial and 2nd set of Wing mechs are based off of the prototypes. This happens around stage 53.

As I recall, the whole "prototypes are WAAAAY stronger than the current model" theme was used a few times in Alpha. Mazinkaiser comes to mind.

CorvoSol

My Japanese is iffy, but according to a story guide online, the short answer is that the EW units are the "prototype" models, and that the initial and 2nd set of Wing mechs are based off of the prototypes. This happens around stage 53.

As I recall, the whole "prototypes are WAAAAY stronger than the current model" theme was used a few times in Alpha. Mazinkaiser comes to mind.

That's kinda crazy though, since Wing Zero was already a crazy strong prototype. So WGZC is a prototype of a prototype?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
That's kinda crazy though, since Wing Zero was already a crazy strong prototype. So WGZC is a prototype of a prototype?

Well, yeah, but logic tends to get wacky in SRW games... looking too hard into it will just drive you crazy.

With that said, I appreciate they try to actually explain things. They do have a sort of twisted logic they tend to follow when they come up with this crap. The stuff they do come up with is surprising.

For example, leading into SRW Z2.2, I was so sure that there would be time travel shennanigans to explain the time skips for the various series (notably, Shin Getter and Gurren Langann). However, I believe (again, iffy Japanese)
it was essentially some sort of time bubble that engulfed an entire region of the planet, where time moved faster there
. Yeah, didn't see that coming.

Loona

Z2 gets away with having 2 Japans in its world map just to get different settings to work together, that kind of crazy out of the box thinking is sort of admirable.

Loona

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/14028587.html

So the info for OG characters in UX is up. Certainly seems a lot less interesting than what some people speculated it might be.

Any translated info on those?

Main guy's mech reminds me of W's Valhawk, which is not a bad thing.

As for the ensemble, while they look like a fairly plain bunch, considering the insane settings they'll be crossing with, maybe that's just skin deep.

Any translated info on those?
Not really, but the jist of is that: The main character is your average earth federation pilot. The 2nd guy is a leader of a mercenary band and his daughter is apparently part of it. Maybe the robot and her fighter will combine compati kaiser style. Who knows.

Bebpo

Banned
Why would people speculate anything about the OG characters? It's totally random how they fit in usually.

Anyhow, I'm guessing all those screens are from the 10 min long PV that's releasing in a few hours on the members only JP site. Hopefully someone youtubes it soon.

zeroshiki

Its not like SRW Z fixed Code Geass' story either. Gundam Age needs to be one of those shows that just exist but is never mentioned anywhere. I hope to god they don't waste space on it in the next mainline SRW. If Bandai needs to sell their toys, just have Age show up in spinoffs or something.

Jubern

Geass in Z2 was pretty strange. I felt it was alright, but the whole
Euphie not being actually dead
was very "wut". It was probably done in order to appease
the relationship between Zero and Suzaku for the next game
, but still.

It was okay for what it was and I thought the interactions with the Wing cast were really good. Also, I never really hated Geass. I was hugely disappointed by R2 at the time, but loved R1 and like the thing as a whole.

CorvoSol

Is Code Geass really any good? Like, I always see it listed as such a great mecha anime, but I dunno, the anorexic character design wasn't appealing to me.

Bebpo

Banned
I actually thought Z2 did a great job with Geass and fixed it in the same way that Z1 fixed Destiny by
taking the leads (who you want to see work together as buddy x buddy but are divided in the anime because of MISCOMMUNICATION in order to frustrate the audience) and fixing the miscommunications and letting them actually work things out and be allies.

The Geass changes weren't as dramatic since Geass, despite being a trainwreck, is still NOWHERE NEAR as big of a mess as the Destiny plot (which is one of the worst anime mecha plots ever). But I think they did a good job and I'm happy with the results.

I bet they can make AGE bearable whenever it shows up.

Now where's that darn UX PV!

zeroshiki

Is Code Geass really any good? Like, I always see it listed as such a great mecha anime, but I dunno, the anorexic character design wasn't appealing to me.

Its really really good. I, in all seriousness, recommend it. Season 1 was great but R2 was just fabulous.

lupin23rd

Have they said whether the UX game included with the limited edition 3DS bundle is the actual cartridge, or a download?

I seem to recall people saying most bundles now are downloads, and part of me is kind of hoping it is so I can just start off my collection by downloading all the games I want.

Kind of cool that this comes out on my birthday.

Bebpo

Banned
Animations are kind of shit tbh

But the interesting cast list should make for a fun story and the music/voices are nice. Best attack in the PV is probably Lock-On Stratos 2.0's bit laser spam.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Animations are kind of shit tbh

But the interesting cast list should make for a fun story and the music/voices are nice. Best attack in the PV is probably Lock-On Stratos 2.0's bit laser spam.

I think they're making up for the crap animations by using a whole lot of cut-ins.

Again, nice to hear voices, but on the other hand, didn't like the music/BGMs that much.

Shouta

The almost always use lots of cut-ins from the anime to make up for the very generic, recycled animation in the DS SRWs. A lot of the crazy folks on GameFAQs say that L had better animation than Z2 for Macross F but it was all simplified stuff with cut-ins. Doesn't take much work to move a sprite in a bunch of different places when it's in the same angle.

Bebpo

Banned
Which is also crazy because the Macross units had some of the most fluid animation in Z2.

But they've been doing the "single frame cut-ins to save money on animating between frames" thing for a while now. Z2, L, 2nd OGs all have that. I mean most big beam attacks in 2nd OGs is just the sprite standing still -> cut in of firing big beam -> watch beam fly into enemy. But in the end, a budget is a budget, and effort saved on animations through cut-ins allows for more animations overall, or faster production SRW games, so I'm not that against it.

CorvoSol

The almost always use lots of cut-ins from the anime to make up for the very generic, recycled animation in the DS SRWs. A lot of the crazy folks on GameFAQs say that L had better animation than Z2 for Macross F but it was all simplified stuff with cut-ins. Doesn't take much work to move a sprite in a bunch of different places when it's in the same angle.

Nothing sane is ever said on GameFAQs

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I do want to see them get better at though is how they sync cut-ins.

In Z2 the cut-ins are AWESOME because they are lip-synched and it actually feels like part of the attack itself. See Zero/C.C, Kallen, Setsuna, etc...

In 2nd OGs it's like CUT-IN OF CHARACTER BURSTING FORWARD OR PUSHING FORWARD IN COCKPIT set to random dialogue lines that do not match up at all and make no effort to be in sync.

I don't like the latter cut-ins much at all. Seems like a waste and all it does it let you see the character pop up and you get to see their artwork in more detail. As opposed to the former where it actually adds to the attack itself.

Always seemed like a difference in team styles.

Now that we have voices in UX, I'm hoping the cut-ins are more like Z2 for the handheld team.

Also going from PV2 I'm kind of surprised that the maps/map unit sprites aren't Z2 level. I mean it's just 2d pictures. But it looks like the DS unit sprites. That especially seems lazy.

Which weren't bad character designs but their storyline and personalities were really boring. Alice was the most interesting character while Ichitaka was straight up boring.

I agree. I was hoping Ichitaka would die or something halfway through so Alice could pilot alone along with an actual upgrade.

Deep down I knew that wouldn't happen though.

zeroshiki

One thing I do want to see them get better at though is how they sync cut-ins.

In Z2 the cut-ins are AWESOME because they are lip-synched and it actually feels like part of the attack itself. See Zero/C.C, Kallen, Setsuna, etc...

In 2nd OGs it's like CUT-IN OF CHARACTER BURSTING FORWARD OR PUSHING FORWARD IN COCKPIT set to random dialogue lines that do not match up at all and make no effort to be in sync.

I don't like the latter cut-ins much at all. Seems like a waste and all it does it let you see the character pop up and you get to see their artwork in more detail. As opposed to the former where it actually adds to the attack itself.

Always seemed like a difference in team styles.

Now that we have voices in UX, I'm hoping the cut-ins are more like Z2 for the handheld team.

Also going from PV2 I'm kind of surprised that the maps/map unit sprites aren't Z2 level. I mean it's just 2d pictures. But it looks like the DS unit sprites. That especially seems lazy.

You just reminded me that some cut ins in Z2 had terrible looking art. Kallen's one doesn't even look like her. The older ones, like say Bardios or God Mars, had the old time rough sketchy feel to it which, while likely accurate, doesn't look anything like the character portrait.

JCG

Kallen's one doesn't even look like her. The older ones, like say Bardios or God Mars, had the old time rough sketchy feel to it which, while likely accurate, doesn't look anything like the character portrait.

I thought her cut-in art was actually fairly accurate, so I never saw anything strange there...but I definitely noticed how Takeru's cut-in was way out of place. I know God Mars itself is supposed to have little or no animation, but that one just looked like they were being really sloppy, period, which is a shame since plenty of other old-school shows have appeared in SRW with better character cut-in artwork.

Loona

This is a bit random, but SRW Alpha 3's opening animation is the greatest thing ever, or pretty damn close.

I wonder about the music in it, but I can't seem to find a track name to listen to it without the sound effects used in the animation - this is the closest I've found, and it's too damn slow, with most of the remaining results leading me to GONG (which is excellent and one of the few tracks I'd ever had playing on a suicide missions - seriously, with those lyrics...), which isn't quite it.

Any clues on where/how to find the proper track?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit random, but SRW Alpha 3's opening animation is the greatest thing ever, or pretty damn close.

I wonder about the music in it, but I can't seem to find a track name to listen to it without the sound effects used in the animation - this is the closest I've found, and it's too damn slow, with most of the remaining results leading me to GONG (which is excellent and one of the few tracks I'd ever had playing on a suicide missions - seriously, with those lyrics...), which isn't quite it.

Any clues on where/how to find the proper track?

And you just reminded me which SRW OST I don't have yet.

Anyway, the track is probably one of these: http://www.nautiljon.com/ost/super+...shuuen+no+ginga+e)+-+original+soundtrack.html

Yeah, not THAT helpful, but at least its everything in the game, named and in English.

Edit: On a somewhat related note. That new Ultraman game that's coming out on the PSP in March? I didn't know it was tactics/SRW style. Anyone planning on picking that one up?

Top Bottom