• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

zeroshiki

OGs aren't as popular as mainline games and even those would be a hard sell. I admire their dedication but this is very very unlikely.

the_acx

Neo Member
I actually want to play Alpha 3 really bad too, since I played 2 last summer. But I left my PS2 back in France and absolutely can't find anyone with a PS2 willing to lend it to me :(

keep searching, cause Alpha 3 is a *MUST HAVE* ... is my personal favorite in terms of licenses and story *,*

Bebpo

Banned
Alpha 3 is good. I still need to finish it. Great cast set, awesome animations. Squad system drags it a bit and it's super easy. Ideon is amazing.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, SRW just highlights how overused the trope is in mecha anime where the antagonist realizes his/her wrongs and then SUDDENLY EMERGENCY OUT OF NOWHERE and he/she quickly sacrifices them-self to save the protagonist group. You see this scene play out like 2-4 times every SRW. Kind of ridiculous/lazy writing. Would like to see more series where when the antagonist realizes their wrongs, they simply give up and goes to jail and make amends.

Loona

Man, SRW just highlights how overused the trope is in mecha anime where the antagonist realizes his/her wrongs and then SUDDENLY EMERGENCY OUT OF NOWHERE and he/she quickly sacrifices them-self to save the protagonist group. You see this scene play out like 2-4 times every SRW. Kind of ridiculous/lazy writing. Would like to see more series where when the antagonist realizes their wrongs, they simply give up and goes to jail and make amends.

Some of the games do have a special persuade option to be used between specific charactrrs that can be used to make an rnemy leave the battlefield or even join you.

The first SRW I played, SRW3, let me do that as Amuro on Char in the very first stage.

CorvoSol

I prefer it when they never see their wrongs, like Big O's Beck.

zeroshiki

The recent games don't even finish the Char's Counterattack storyline anymore so Amuro and Char won't have to leave your party.

Jubern

Is there even a SRW where Amuro leaves your party after the CCA plot?

Serious question, I just don't know but I seem to remember Amuro staying in classic timeline, and I know he stays in both D (which deals with CCA in a very different way, anyway) and Alpha.

zeroshiki

I don't think he ever does. I was more making a general comment about how he'd HAVE to leave if they were really gonna do the CCA storyline.

Bebpo

Banned
Basically,
the UX universe has been going through countless cycles of destruction, but the real end of the universe is nigh (it's not possible to cycle any more). The prof is the only one who remember all the cycles, through Richard was her buddy. Actually I think Richard remembers some of it, but maybe not all. Not sure anymore.
Saya and Ayul are both creations of the prof, "made" for the purpose of stabilizing the particule accelerator engine used by the Odysseus & co. She stands against the heroes as the last test before they meet (and fight) the reason for the never-ending universe-cycling: Kali Yuga (final boss). After you kick Kali Yuga's ass, the universe is saved and gets free of the cycle.

One thing I didn't get however, was the whole thing about the other worlds some of the series comes from. When the big reveal came, I thought they clearly said
there was no "future", "past" or "other dimension" involved and that the people not from the current cycle simply came from another one, summoned by the prof call ("Gather at the beginning"). But in the ending you see all these guys going "back to the future"
and it confused the shit out of me. I must have missed or misunderstood something. The whole Linebarrels thing made it even more complicated.

TAMASHIIIIIIII.

Actually, I don't think the universe is not able to cycle anymore if Kali Yuga wins. From what I got (the OG plot was kind of extremely convoluted, full of ridiculous BS, plot holes and doesn't really follow the real "Yuga" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuga) that well),

If I try to align it with the wikipedia definition, than each "world" that one of the main series is from is from a different Yuga and this is the 4th Yuga and thought each Yuga follows a similar pattern of Life->Death (hence why all the alternate earths are so similar), the true end of the final Yuga marks the destruction of the entire universe and then the creation of an entirely new one that will play out totally different.

But then in the UX version they say the cycle's gone on tens of thousands of times already. So I actually think the game is like:

[death & rebirth of humanity x 100000000] = ONE YUGA

And in the game the Yuga was going to end and the next one would start, and since it's Kali Yuga it's the final end to the Yuga. The difference is that in the prior destruction & rebirths, the universe wasn't destroyed; just mankind, which eventually comes back. But in the end of a Yuga cycle, the actual universe itself and all souls are destroyed and everything is made anew.

Anyhow I'm actually ok with that part of the OG story even if it's a bit out there. What was looooool was how TAMASHIIII and INOCHIIIII could trump time & space and EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE. Someone dies? That's ok, they can come back thanks to the power of WILL AND TAMASHIIIII; Hearing voices from a past cycle life? THAT'S YOUR TAMASHIIIII, and the idea that everyone was guided from different Yuga's by their own strong souls of life to meetup and take down the final boss.... lol The plot is pretty dumb!

Put up my review of UX in the OT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63923106&postcount=91

New originals seem alright. About on the same tier Arnie/Saya are on.

I wonder if the days of 2 OG characters, 3 OG mechs and 3 sub pilots to choose from are behind us.

Admittedly that's only for one game but around the DS era I noticed a trend where SRW games restricted the player to just one OG character/machine.

I would like to see variety return in future titles but I'm not holding my breath.

Loona

New originals seem alright. About on the same tier Arnie/Saya are on.

I wonder if the days of 2 OG characters, 3 OG mechs and 3 sub pilots to choose from are behind us.

Admittedly that's only for one game but around the DS era I noticed a trend where SRW games restricted the player to just one OG character/machine.

I would like to see variety return in future titles but I'm not holding my breath.

Rather than focus on originals, of which there's always a lot, I'd appreciate for once a story that in the end didn't boil down to the original characters', but had branching paths that allowed for for different antagonists from the covered series to become the final boss by integrating tech from different series into something new that still made sense for them.
Wasn't there a SRW where Kaworu from EVA could be a possible final boss, for example?

Rather than focus on originals, of which there's always a lot, I'd appreciate for once a story that in the end didn't boil down to the original characters', but had branching paths that allowed for for different antagonists from the covered series to become the final boss by integrating tech from different series into something new that still made sense for them.
Wasn't there a SRW where Kaworu from EVA could be a possible final boss, for example?

I think that was F Final that had various final bosses from different series.

I tend to place a lot of emphasis on the originals being good just because I can already expect whether I will enjoy the other characters based on what series they are from.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I miss the days of epic 4 character plots, 4 OG mechs all with mid series upgrades. Alpha 1-3 were incredibly impressive in that area. Z's been less so though I really dig the Z storyline and OG characters and some of the mechs.

Loona

Yeah, I miss the days of epic 4 character plots, 4 OG mechs all with mid series upgrades. Alpha 1-3 were incredibly impressive in that area. Z's been less so though I really dig the Z storyline and OG characters and some of the mechs.

I miss the days of SRW3, in the sense that you started out with Gundam, Mazinger and Getter at once, and wouldn't have to deal with an original until halfway into the game - maybe it's too much to ask for nowadays...

Bebpo

Banned
I don't see the problem with having the OG tale hold the stories together.

You still get the Gundam, Macross, Mazinger plots in full, it's not like they get sidelined for the OG plots. But the OG plots provide something to connect all the series and give a proper start and finish. Plus usually the OG plots are pretty interesting for mecha storylines.

Loona

I don't see the problem with having the OG tale hold the stories together.

You still get the Gundam, Macross, Mazinger plots in full, it's not like they get sidelined for the OG plots. But the OG plots provide something to connect all the series and give a proper start and finish. Plus usually the OG plots are pretty interesting for mecha storylines.

I have no problem when they're there to hold it together, it starts to bother me when their events hijack everyone else's and you just know that the big threat from the series you like will be secondary to the original's story.

Jubern

Pretty much what I'm expecting, I feel like a troll for posting this.

But hey, at least I got the thread bumped!

Bebpo

Banned
I don't get how the PSP DLC game still doesn't have a release date other than "summer". How hard is it to set a release date for 20maps? It's already July!

I was debating whether to get LoE3 on PS3 or Vita but decided to get neither and skip a SRW for once since I still haven't played LoE2 and have other, likely better, SRW games to finish up like 2nd OGs and @3 anyhow.

Jubern

So, they're even doing a campaign where people buying a Vita will get the first part of the game for free.

I'm really bummed this isn't a Vita-only game, I hope it won't look like utter shit on my Vita...

PSP games usually look fine on a vita, even if it's up scaled a bit. My only problem with them is when they use a very restricted color pallet and then gradients just hit you in the face so hard.

But then again I don't want to format my vita and memory card just to change accounts again, ughhhhhhh.

Tsukumo

2nd Promo vid for Super Robot Taisen OE is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngVyqckf088

Mainly about the explanation of systems, how the DLC works, and introduces the originals.

Looks neat. Hopefully loading times will keep on the same level as Z2.
I'm also curious to see if the game will be balanced AT ALL with such an impressive amount of units to choose. If the only way to upgrade mechs will be parts obtained from grinding, the game might turn into something interesting (gameplay wise).
Did anyone catch a glimpse of enemy units using seishins during the PV? there was so much going on in that video I might have lost something about that. Hopefully they'll keep SRW Neo-level of difficulty.

I doubt this will be much more difficult or balanced than Z2-2. They've pretty much backed away completely from SRW Z Ex-Hard levels of difficulty.

Haven't played NEO before though, if you want to explain what's difficult about it.

Bebpo

Banned
I would play it, but 8 chapters of 20 maps each? So 160 map game?

lol

Do not have the time for that. Especially for a SRW with hardly any new entries.

Tsukumo

I doubt this will be much more difficult or balanced than Z2-2. They've pretty much backed away completely from SRW Z Ex-Hard levels of difficulty.

It's true, unfortunately. By the way: does anyone know if Og 2 has an Ex-hard mode?

Haven't played NEO before though, if you want to explain what's difficult about it.

Enemies used seishins. Not with the same evil, masterful scheming of Supa Robo Gakuen, but close. I really don't understand why they went through all the trouble to come up with the card game for Original Generations on PS2 and the versus multiplayer for XO/Gakuen, to completely drop them down the line. I'm happy Terada is concentrating resources to deliver a barrage of "pure" SRW games, but the systems featured in those card games didn't look too overtly complicated.
AI was evil, but the management of seishins was pretty streamlined.

2nd OG does have ex-hard but it's pretty easy regardless. 2nd OG is widely considered the easiest of the OG series and SRWs in general.

When you say enemies use seishins, you mean they're used spontaneously, or are they scripted to happen with event triggers? Alpha Gaiden had some serious seishin spamming bosses.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot to mention this when I posted the link, but at the end of the new trailer, the series list still has "And More To Come..." at the end. I mentioned it once before when they first revealed the series list. So, it looks like they still plan on adding more series to the game.

Is anyone (who doesn't live in Japan) going to even bother to play this SRW incarnation? Its not like we can import it easily, since its a download only title, and we'd probably have to resort to getting PSN/SEN cards for the JP store.

Is anyone (who doesn't live in Japan) going to even bother to play this SRW incarnation? Its not like we can import it easily, since its a download only title, and we'd probably have to resort to getting PSN/SEN cards for the JP store.

Getting PSN points is easier and faster than importing.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Getting PSN points is easier and faster than importing.

Easier or not, that doesn't really answer the question though. :p

My PSP is broken anyway, and I don't have enough JP games on my Vita (nor another mem card) to justify doing the account switching thing on it. So I'm probably skipping this SRW. Unless after the release all the episodes, they decide to do a retail release with all the episodes on it, then I'll probably pick it up.

Easier or not, that doesn't really answer the question though. :p
Sure it does. Your entire argument was based on the fact that it would be more difficult to acquire the game. Which is entirely incorrect since in fact it should be a lot easier to get it.

Edit: Compared to something like SRW UX, the barrier to entry is insignificant.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sure it does. Your entire argument was based on the fact that it would be more difficult to acquire the game. Which is entirely incorrect since in fact it should be a lot easier to get it.

Edit: Compared to something like SRW UX, the barrier to entry is insignificant.

Great, I'm getting into a syntax argument. I'd rather not debate the ease of getting JP PSN cards, because I know HOW to get them, and I know its not hard. And I'd rather not debate if its easier or not to just get the game straight from PSN as opposed to getting a physical copy, because as far as we're all aware, there is no physical copy, so the argument is moot.

So let's try this again with the question I intended to ask- IGNORE the last comment I made AFTER my initial question. I withdraw said comment, because it was not my intent to steer the conversation that way.

Is anyone here (who's NOT in Japan) going to get SRW OE?

Jubern

So, I finally started a second OG2nd run in order to finally go through the route I didn't played last year (Ryune, then the SRX Team routes).

UX kind of threw me off my balance on one point though: Since it's my second playthrough I already have all the kill I need for the Elemental Lords finishers by the time Ryune and Yang Long joined up. That's it, right? There's no "it doesn't count, only the kills THAT playthrough count!" thing like in UX, right? ^^'

Also, I read that Jaohm upgrade funds will be returned once it leaves, so I FUB'd it and it's a killing machine lol.

Tsukumo

2nd OG does have ex-hard but it's pretty easy regardless. 2nd OG is widely considered the easiest of the OG series and SRWs in general.

When you say enemies use seishins, you mean they're used spontaneously, or are they scripted to happen with event triggers? Alpha Gaiden had some serious seishin spamming bosses.

scripted, but more frequently then other games.
I didn't play Neo :) I watched a lot video on the tube to decide whether to buy it or not. I have yet to buy the game, the Wii and a CRT tv, but I'm definitely going to.
Check out the FAQ on Gamefaqs: most of the systems used in that game should make a come back, there's a lot of interesting features.
And sorry for asking again but: do you mean 2nd Og is easy even doing a no parts, no upgrades run? My heart is breaking!

Great, I'm getting into a syntax argument. I'd rather not debate the ease of getting JP PSN cards, because I know HOW to get them, and I know its not hard. And I'd rather not debate if its easier or not to just get the game straight from PSN as opposed to getting a physical copy, because as far as we're all aware, there is no physical copy, so the argument is moot.

So let's try this again with the question I intended to ask- IGNORE the last comment I made AFTER my initial question. I withdraw said comment, because it was not my intent to steer the conversation that way.

Is anyone here (who's NOT in Japan) going to get SRW OE?

I'll buy it for sure. At that price it's a steal: if they manage to balance the game as well as Robo Gakuen I'm going to get a SRW with infinite replayability and playing with Dunbine units, Patlabor units and last but not the least Juushin Ryger.
A lot of units look awesome in 3d, especially the Seed Destiny ones.
They also give you a bonus unit (Keroro on Real Perfect Grade Gundam) if you download the first chapter.
Hopefully it's not going to be a broken mess like most G-Generation games I've played.

And sorry for asking again but: do you mean 2nd Og is easy even doing a no parts, no upgrades run? My heart is breaking!
You can't upgrade or spend PP on ex-hard mode, although you can equip parts. It's still pretty easy for the vast majority of the game. Only issue you might have are the last few endgame bosses on the hard route.

I don't think "no parts" would make it much more difficult, since parts are mainly a matter of convenience (flight modules and such to move over the water heavy stages).

CorvoSol

Just started SRW Z2.1 this week, and I'm really enjoying it. As someone who has only played SRW J and W so far, the graphical leap is kinda enormous. And while I loathe 00, its nice to see Lockon 1, the Dynames, and hear that first 00 OP remix.

I know Gundam 00 and Wing are in, but I was wondering if any UC Gundam units were in, too?

Top Bottom