• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Shouta

I don't think EN while flying has mattered much in anything other than the Alpha games. It matters a bit in this because your units seem to use a lot of it and much faster than other games.

Patlabor units are pretty wild in this. They really had to give it extra bonuses to make up for the fact that they're so weak in-universe. Ota and Noa both get a skill called "Police Officer" that increases their damage by 1.1. Police doing more damage? Whut? lol

Patlabor crew interacting with folks has been awesome too. Ota and the Dancougar team was so good.

Tsukumo

I don't think EN while flying has mattered much in anything other than the Alpha games. It matters a bit in this because your units seem to use a lot of it and much faster than other games.

Patlabor units are pretty wild in this. They really had to give it extra bonuses to make up for the fact that they're so weak in-universe. Ota and Noa both get a skill called "Police Officer" that increases their damage by 1.1. Police doing more damage? Whut? lol

Patlabor crew interacting with folks has been awesome too. Ota and the Dancougar team was so good.

They really nailed a lot of interactions. I love what they did with Kamina: in Z2 his love-hate relationship with Ryoma was cool, but here he has the entire school of Eldoran kids looking up to him :D

Markun

Has there been a full series list given yet? Or a list of all the series they've announced so far?

SRW OE series list

Gurren Lagann
Votoms + OVAs
Layzner
Raijin-Oh
Gosaurer
Ganbaruga
Daiteio
Ryu Knight
Keroro
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Zoids
Zoids Genesis
Gundam 0079
Gundam 0080
Gundam 8th Ms Team
Z Gundam
ZZ Gundam
G Gundam
Wing Gundam
00 Gundam
SEED Destiny
Dunbine
L-Gaim
Jushin Liger
Getter Robo Armaggedon
Shin Mazinger
Patlabor + Movie version
Macross F
Goshogun
Dancouga
NG Knight Ramune & 40

I think that's all they've announced so far. They're planning to add more series later.

CorvoSol

SRW OE series list

Gurren Lagann
Votoms + OVAs
Layzner
Raijin-Oh
Gosaurer
Ganbaruga
Daiteio
Ryu Knight
Keroro
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Zoids
Zoids Genesis
Gundam 0079
Gundam 0080
Gundam 8th Ms Team
Z Gundam
ZZ Gundam
G Gundam
Wing Gundam
00 Gundam
SEED Destiny
Dunbine
L-Gaim
Jushin Liger
Getter Robo Armaggedon
Shin Mazinger
Patlabor + Movie version
Macross F
Goshogun
Dancouga
NG Knight Ramune & 40

I think that's all they've announced so far. They're planning to add more series later.

Time to hold my breath and hope a fluke lands Full Metal Panic!, GaoGaiGar, Eureka Seven and Nadesico on that list.

Jubern

Yeah I'm having a hard time getting into it right now. I don't find myself caring much, if at all, about all those filler missions :(

Shouta

I definitely could do without some of the shorter/filler missions, for sure.

Some of these cut-ins are amazing though. Yoko's EM Rifle animation for Gurren Lagann is fantastic and I love the cut-in for Shiro in his Ez8.

CorvoSol

Is the Freedom just automatically broken in every game? I don't think I've even upgraded it any in SRWZ2 and the thing is doing hilarious damage and is untouchable.

Meanwhile, I'm pouring my cash into Zeta Gundam because I mean it's ZETA GUNDAM and nobody should even be allowed to get near Kamille in that thing. ZETA. GUNDAM. Only downside is no Judau Ashta. Oh well, there'll still be OE, I guess.

zeroshiki

Is the Freedom just automatically broken in every game? I don't think I've even upgraded it any in SRWZ2 and the thing is doing hilarious damage and is untouchable.

Meanwhile, I'm pouring my cash into Zeta Gundam because I mean it's ZETA GUNDAM and nobody should even be allowed to get near Kamille in that thing. ZETA. GUNDAM. Only downside is no Judau Ashta. Oh well, there'll still be OE, I guess.

The Freedom is kinda weak sauce in this unlike Alpha 3. Zeta is better in Z2-2 when it gets those Newtype level based attacks.

Nah the mobile suits are always kind of weak. Mainly because none of them were supposed to be unstoppable god machines until SEED rolled around and they never have the really flashy over the top crazy attacks like super robots. So they always end up being somewhat gimped and behind on the power scale.

Jubern

That's a lot. I'll probably have some troubles keeping up if there's that much new stages every two weeks until October lol

squall23

Nah the mobile suits are always kind of weak. Mainly because none of them were supposed to be unstoppable god machines until SEED rolled around and they never have the really flashy over the top crazy attacks like super robots. So they always end up being somewhat gimped and behind on the power scale.
V2AB is weak? It has more beam weapons than Freedom while still having a (potentially) higher top speed and immense beam defence.

Also, clearly this team loves the Eldoran series since Great Final Attack and Saurer King Finish look amazing in this.

CorvoSol

I've never ever watched a single episode of Dancouga anything, but Aoi of the Dancouga Nova in SRWZ2 is my waifu of the game.

zeroshiki

The best combination attack in Z2 is Zambot-Trider where they start throwing random shit at each other with the enemy caught in the middle.

CorvoSol

The anime is pretty meh. Not good not bad. Just existing in that dead zone.

The song it plays during her turn is pretty cool, tho.

Never watched any of it either. The Nova characters never really did it for me, besides Aoi.
The original Dancouga cast, however, is awesome.

Just wait until Z2-2 for their crossover attack. I've watched it over and over and over.
This was the best trailer ever btw.

The girl from OG Dancouga has some crazy lookin' eyes, though.

The best combination attack in Z2 is Zambot-Trider where they start throwing random shit at each other with the enemy caught in the middle.

Haha, got that one, it was pretty cool. My favorite so far is the combination attack used by Kira and Athrun, though. So stylish.

Also: Can I revert the Nirvash back to Spec2? Cuz Spec5 is kinda meh in looks. On the other hand, Renton x Eureka in the cockpit scene is pretty awesome. Oh, and can I make Yoko do that "out of Gunman sniping attack" again, or was that a one time animation? And on that note, do I get all the mechs from Lagann Hen's battle or no?

zeroshiki

Haha, got that one, it was pretty cool. My favorite so far is the combination attack used by Kira and Athrun, though. So stylish.

The Alpha 3 version of that attack is superior :p Plus, I never liked how both of them spams soooooo much beam but almost none hit the opponent. It should be a MAP or ALL attack.

Also: Can I revert the Nirvash back to Spec2? Cuz Spec5 is kinda meh in looks. On the other hand, Renton x Eureka in the cockpit scene is pretty awesome. Oh, and can I make Yoko do that "out of Gunman sniping attack" again, or was that a one time animation? And on that note, do I get all the mechs from Lagann Hen's battle or no?

No, you're stuck with that Nirvash until Z2-2 when you get to do the dance all over again. Yoko is a one time thing. There will be lots of new units for Guren Lagann by Z2-2. Z2-1 only has umm... 4 or so.

CorvoSol

The Alpha 3 version of that attack is superior :p Plus, I never liked how both of them spams soooooo much beam but almost none hit the opponent. It should be a MAP or ALL attack.

No, you're stuck with that Nirvash until Z2-2 when you get to do the dance all over again. Yoko is a one time thing. There will be lots of new units for Guren Lagann by Z2-2. Z2-1 only has umm... 4 or so.

Wait, I have to go through the plot of Pocket Full of Rainbows a second time? Renton isn't just chillin'? Buuuuh. The only good thing about PFoR being in SRWZ2 is it means AO cannot be in SRWZ3.

And beam spams is Athrun and Kira's speciality.

Jubern

Wait, I have to go through the plot of Pocket Full of Rainbows a second time? Renton isn't just chillin'? Buuuuh. The only good thing about PFoR being in SRWZ2 is it means AO cannot be in SRWZ3.

And beam spams is Athrun and Kira's speciality.

Considering the dimension-jumping shenanigans the SRW Z series revolves around, I'd that that, on the contrary, AO is pretty much the first new series we should take as confirmed.

CorvoSol

Considering the dimension-jumping shenanigans the SRW Z series revolves around, I'd that that, on the contrary, AO is pretty much the first new series we should take as confirmed.

This is what I get for not being able to read Japanese, I guess. But I mean, the whole of PFoR is completely removed from E7. It's an entirely different story with Eureka Seven's skin laid on top. It doesn't really connect to AO.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if that somehow meant getting the E7 music/KLFs&LFOs back, I'd accept AO.

zeroshiki

This is what I get for not being able to read Japanese, I guess. But I mean, the whole of PFoR is completely removed from E7. It's an entirely different story with Eureka Seven's skin laid on top. It doesn't really connect to AO.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if that somehow meant getting the E7 music/KLFs&LFOs back, I'd accept AO.

The team in Z gets dimension shifted to Z2's world and some characters, like Renton, exist in both (but Z Renton does not follow the team to Z2's world). This means they have already laid the ground work for AO to appear in Z3. Dimension shift again and boom, Renton and Ao finally get to meet.

CorvoSol

The team in Z gets dimension shifted to Z2's world and some characters, like Renton, exist in both (but Z Renton does not follow the team to Z2's world). This means they have already laid the ground work for AO to appear in Z3. Dimension shift again and boom, Renton and Ao finally get to meet.

This is simultaneously the best and worst news all day. On one hand, Real Renton is out there. On other hand, Ao is, too.

Jubern

Have you watched the end of AO?
You don't want AO Renton :/

I honestly enjoyed Eureka Seven AO quite a bit, but the endgame with the dimensional shenanigans, the truth about Truth, Renton attitude (and voice, casting FujiKei was a terrible idea, if only funny on paper) during the finale and the very end were... Uuuuugh.
The Génération Bleu hijinxs and pretty aimless direction of the first half/two-thirds were actually my favourite part, I think.

Not like the worst thing ever, but pretty bad and a terrible stain on the original Eureka Seven.

Jubern

Shit shit shit.

Sorry! I remember seeing about him watching it, in the anime thread, but thought he was already done.

CorvoSol

Shit shit shit.

Sorry! I remember seeing about him watching it, in the anime thread, but thought he was already done.

I'll probably finish it this week. Tomorrow at the soonest. I'm at 21/25 or whatever. You spoilered it in time, though, so no worries. Definitely not looking forward to seeing AO in a game.

AO and AGE in one SRW. I don't even know if FMP! Sigma could get me hyped for a SRW with those two series in it.

It could and it would. Give me a chance to play as the Laevatein, dammit!

fertygo

This is simultaneously the best and worst news all day. On one hand, Real Renton is out there. On other hand, Ao is, too.

Ao is cool, I think Z team can make him work like Shinn..

I want to cry with possibility AGE on Z's story shenanigans though.

Can't wait for Star Driver in Z3 though, they MUST include it. Enough to get me hyped.

CorvoSol

Ao is cool, I think Z team can make him work like Shinn..

I want to cry with possibility AGE on Z's story shenanigans though.

Can't wait for Star Driver in Z3 though, they MUST include it. Enough to get me hyped.

In fairness the only characters I hate in AO so far are Truth and Naru. Ao isn't bad, per se. What is bad is what he brings with him.

Also I lied. Finishing this madness tonight.

I wish I had never ever seen this show.

Hey does anyone know if there's a menu translation for SRW Z1?

CorvoSol

There's a complete wiki on Akurasu, like for most recent SRW games: http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/Z

I played it 2.5 years ago looking at this for the secrets and I can confirm it's all accurate, probably info pulled from JP wikis that pulled it from the complete guide.

Thanks. I'm not gonna stop my Z2 run through, but since I dunno anything about the plot anyway, I'm gonna play Z while I'm at it. I picked the Titan girl.

zeroshiki

I've been playing SRW ever since EX (shit, nearly 20 years ago) and I had no idea what was happening only until the more recent games. I'm not sure I am enjoying the games any more now than I did before.

CorvoSol

I just really enjoy SRPGs and giant robots, so SRW is kinda an ideal game for me. And I really enjoyed the plot of the one I did understand (J).

Shouta

Almost done with part 1 of OE.

The filler battles at the start are kind of annoying but at least it lets most series get properly introduced. Some of the later battles are pretty nice though. I'm a little annoyed that it seems to be a 9 unit move limit (including the carrier) but they got around this by grouping some series units together so they can be on the field but not require the models to be on all the time. If you can make custom groups later, that'd be really good, I hope it's an option.

Story seems kind of interesting. It's basically a giant freaking mess on Earth currently with the UC stuff existing alongside Wing and 00. Then you have Invaders and Labors too. Layzner seems to be going for the whole series as well so a ton of stuff is going on. Protagonist isn't bad and his sidekick/heroine is solid and I dig the original mech. A lot of series are either midway through or post-story like the Eldoran series, Dancougar, and Shin Mazinger.

Story presentation is not bad but the exposition between stages could be improved and less use of the scrolling text would be nice. The plus to that though is that there are a lot of nice little still images to go with it. I think my favorite one so far is White Base and the Macross Quarter flying side by side. Inter-series interaction is pretty on point as well.

Jubern

How much, roughly speaking, is this going to cost when it is all done?

Base game is 5980 yen if you pay in full now and 8500 yen if you just buy the chapters separately every two weeks instead.

Also it seems there's going for one mission a week until the end, so were probably looking at 15-20 100¥ missions, if that's your thing.

CorvoSol

Base game is 5980 yen if you pay in full now and 8500 yen if you just buy the chapters separately every two weeks instead.

Also it seems there's going for one mission a week until the end, so were probably looking at 15-20 100¥ missions, if that's your thing.

So if I pay in full now I never have to buy the other chapters? Like, does my PSP auto update them on, then?

CorvoSol

It doesn't auto-update. Every time a new chapter goes up for sale, it shows as a free download for you.

Ah, well, that still doesn't seem that bad-

Wait a minute that means it's 50 bucks now or 80 to buy it bit by bit.

Yeesh. And the worst part is digital games don't ever go down in price.

Top Bottom