• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

CorvoSol

Also while I'm in the habit of asking about older SRW games, which one has the best version of ZZ? I liked ZZ more than Z and Z is the more popular so it seems kinda hard to find ZZ.

ZZ is pretty good in the Alpha series.

KDzwDEr.jpg

Also while I'm in the habit of asking about older SRW games, which one has the best version of ZZ? I liked ZZ more than Z and Z is the more popular so it seems kinda hard to find ZZ.

You could also play some SD Gundam G Generation games for ZZ action.

Really wish we had an HD console one this gen.

Jubern

My problem is that I don't play at all on my MBA, just don't like that. And I don't play my PSP anymore either. Don't want to use a roundabout way to play those games which leaves me with no option other than play it as it was back then.

Stupid me I know lol

zeroshiki

Whew, 4 games, huh? That sounds like a lot to me 'cuz before Z the only SRW games I'd played were J and W, so like, none that were connected. Still, for ZZ I'll check it out.

You should play the Alpha series because Alpha 2 onwards has the best (and most logical from an attack standpoint) system in the series IMO. The squad system makes for really really long stages but it solves alot of my issues with useless units and attacks that inexplicably only hit one unit in other games (think Freedom's beam spam and Guren Lagan's Fulldrillizer).

The main problem with Alpha 3 for me, (Z too) is that its on PS2 and I don't have a PS2 anymore ;_; I wish they'd start selling the PS2 games on PSN.

CorvoSol

You should play the Alpha series because Alpha 2 onwards has the best (and most logical from an attack standpoint) system in the series IMO. The squad system makes for really really long stages but it solves alot of my issues with useless units and attacks that inexplicably only hit one unit in other games (think Freedom's beam spam and Guren Lagan's Fulldrillizer).

The main problem with Alpha 3 for me, (Z too) is that its on PS2 and I don't have a PS2 anymore ;_; I wish they'd start selling the PS2 games on PSN.

PS2 is only really problematic for me because I don't have one when I'm at school.

CorvoSol

So a quick update on how things are going.

1)Just got to Paradigm City in SRWZ1. Cannot stop smirking and feeling super happy. Been missions upon missions without knowing the series involved, and now I'm not just in one I know, but one of my faves.

2)Kinda feeling like Saisei-hen isn't as good as Hakai-hen. I'm on mission 13 and still stuck with the Lemon Brasta, Ester, and a bunch of robots I don't really know or care about. Like, the Mazinger and Dai-Guard are the only ones I'm liking, although I'm making due with whatever this not-Gurren-Lagann is. But like, I still have 1 Gundam only and haven't seen Code Geass since the start of the game.

3)Got this unit in SRWZ2.2 and I think it is hilarious:

Because it looks just like Sesame Street's Super Grover:

2)Kinda feeling like Saisei-hen isn't as good as Hakai-hen. I'm on mission 13 and still stuck with the Lemon Brasta, Ester, and a bunch of robots I don't really know or care about. Like, the Mazinger and Dai-Guard are the only ones I'm liking, although I'm making due with whatever this not-Gurren-Lagann is. But like, I still have 1 Gundam only and haven't seen Code Geass since the start of the game.
You picked the super robot route it sounds like, enjoy your 70s nostalgia. You had the option to go to Space Vietnam and you didn't. Now you have to live with that.

CorvoSol

You picked the super robot route it sounds like, enjoy your 70s nostalgia. You had the option to go to Space Vietnam and you didn't. Now you have to live with that.

But I haven't seen these shows yet! Oh well, Mission 14 starts by dropping the Zeta Gundam back in my lap, so I can't complain much. Is it just me or is the Ptolemaios incapable of repairing units in this game?

CorvoSol

Playing Super Robot Wars Z1 was a huge mistake, guys. Now I want nothing more than to rewatch Eureka Seven and The Big O. Gah, feelin' nostalgic like no other every time I use the Nirvash to attack.

For the 5 of us who care about that stuff, the trophy list for Masou Kishin III is out on exophase

Kind of predictable, spoils the names and number of routes/endings. It's a single list for PS3 and Vita.

Speaking of that, Ami Ami just confirmed that my copy is in stock and ready to ship. So glad the exchange rate is back to roughly 100 yen/dollar.

CorvoSol

So SRWZ1's the first time I've ever experienced this "squad" system, and it isn't half bad. What I do find odd about the game is that so far I haven't had to select my own sortie even once.

Jubern

How far are you in? You definitely get to chose past some point, but it's been a while since I got to play Z1 so I'm not too sure about when it opens up.

For the people playing OE, Masaki+Cybuster is now available as a paid DLC (200¥) and the third chapter is now out.

Also, Masou Kishin III is officially out today! Thanks to that I resumed my playthourgh of the first one on DS, and it should go pretty quickly. I'll go for the route where you save Wendy first and then maaaaaybe also do the evil god route. Then I might jump directly to III since I really don't want to pay 5000 for MKII which will definitely look like ass on my Vita.

Shouta

I heard MKII had an awful story as well though soooo it might be better to ignore it.

OE has way too many small missions, it really needs bigger, more interesting ones.

squall23

I heard MKII had an awful story as well though soooo it might be better to ignore it.

OE has way too many small missions, it really needs bigger, more interesting ones.
Those missions in chapter 2 from 7-1 to 7-3 were just mind numbing with all the damn reinforcements.

So SRWZ1's the first time I've ever experienced this "squad" system, and it isn't half bad. What I do find odd about the game is that so far I haven't had to select my own sortie even once.
How far are you in? You definitely get to chose past some point, but it's been a while since I got to play Z1 so I'm not too sure about when it opens up.

Yeah Z has really strict pre-determined squad deployment for quiet a good long while compared to the Alpha games. Personally I am not a big fan of the Z squad system if only for the 80% damage reduction that the units get and a complete lack of map attacks.

At least freedom gets a map attack. All of GL's map attacks got turned into single target ones and turned a single target attack into one really crappy map attack.

My PS3 copy of Masou Kishin III came today. Played the first two maps. Pretty basic production values, not CG intro or anything. Fun, though.

I'd still like to see an HD console SRW with licensed mecha, though.

CorvoSol

The thing that has me most disappointed is that Gurren Lagann is like, it for Saisei Hen. Like, where's my Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann, and my TTGL? And STTGL?

Also a little sad that I only had access to Epyon for like, 1 turn. Hardest map so far though was the one with Black Ox. Moron rushes right into the enemies to die.

CorvoSol

He's dumb as an Ox, obviously.

Ouch.

Hey, so I've been checking out the English menu translation patch for Operation Extend, and I get this BGM message whenever I load up my save, and nothing beyond the ambient music plays when I do battle. Anybody know what's up with that?

zeroshiki

I finally turned on my SRW UX 3DS to play SRW UX and my god, now I remember why I dislike Nintendo handheld SRW. Everything is just so clunky, blurry and everything just has this cheap feel. You'd think that this being released how many years after SRWZ2 that they'd at least copy the goddamn engine and spritework but nooooo. Now I'm pissed that I pissed away this much money on this game and system and I still haven't gotten my SRW fix. I hope the next mainline game is announced soon and comes on the Vita or something -_-;;;

Jubern

Ouch.

Hey, so I've been checking out the English menu translation patch for Operation Extend, and I get this BGM message whenever I load up my save, and nothing beyond the ambient music plays when I do battle. Anybody know what's up with that?

Ask on 4chan, this issue popped for a lot of people. It has to do about how the game doesn't recognize the DLC, only the free prologue (which is impossible to get without buying the first chapter as DLC, but whatever!)

Don't get the hate on UX :(
It's not a looker but I really liked it.

zeroshiki

Ask on 4chan, this issue popped for a lot of people. It has to do about how the game doesn't recognize the DLC, only the free prologue (which is impossible to get without buying the first chapter as DLC, but whatever!)

Don't get the hate on UX :(
It's not a looker but I really liked it.

The problem is that its so so incredibly mediocre compared to Z2 and that one is on hardware that is supposedly a gen behind the one UX is on. They could have used the Z2 engine and changed the story and it would have been 100x a better game.

Jubern

See, I don't agree with this point of view. I can see how/why you would be disappointed with the battle sprites, but ultimately it's hardly everything the game has to offer.

I found the UX mechanics to be at least as interesting as Z2's (if not more thanks to stuff like skill parts and the partner system) and thought the game was less of a mess storywise, despite the HUEG focus on Linebarrel/Fafner.

Unpopular opinion ahoy, but IMO animations were not even THAT bad, just low-res and less impressive than recent mainline entries. But UX is what it is: a budget game.

But hey, opinions and stuff!
Don't bad you don't like it :(

Tsukumo

The thing that has me most disappointed is that Gurren Lagann is like, it for Saisei Hen. Like, where's my Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann, and my TTGL? And STTGL?

Also a little sad that I only had access to Epyon for like, 1 turn. Hardest map so far though was the one with Black Ox. Moron rushes right into the enemies to die.

Epyon and evolution of Guren Lagan will probably have a spot in the third Z chapter.

As for OE option menus, you probably have the free version which let's you play the game but doesn't let you change the bgms. You should be able to change bgm for each weapon if the version is the right one.

All the announced SRW title are now released, so it's time for another game to be unveiled.

it needs to be the new OG. 60 missions and I get the units I want in the last ten missions? Pffft.
Also, the story sucked. It's painful to watch character like Ryusei and Masaki act like a Wolverine clone. And there were two, three jokes in the entire game. Bleargh.
I need to replay me some OG Gaiden.

it needs to be the new OG. 60 missions and I get the units I want in the last ten missions? Pffft.
Also, the story sucked. It's painful to watch character like Ryusei and Masaki act like a Wolverine clone. And there were two, three jokes in the entire game. Bleargh.
That's what you get with an OG game. Ryusei is is just there until Alpha 3 plot finally starts up and there were plenty of jokes in the game its just that they were all rehashed from mainline series,

OGG had all of those problems too though. Except it was stupidly short instead of being 60 missions.

Tsukumo

OGG had all of those problems too though. Except it was stupidly short instead of being 60 missions.

This blasphemy! This is madness!
Gaiden was full of nice gags between Kouta and his sister, the Shura guys were as cool as they come, the voice acting was mind-blowing good, the Cry wolves missions were memorable, you got to play with Alphymie (or whatever Japanese think it's spelled) and Axel, the whole Dona Galaga/ Bartoll "side" missions where a nice addition and gave more screen time to underused character like Kai and Shu, plus you had and "hangar" of units chock-full of memorable stuff (all those huckbeins and geshpesnt HNNNNNNG). That game was a dream come true.

I did enjoy the stuff with the Shura, Kouta and Shouko but that's pretty much all the game had going for it imo.

That Alfimi and Axel resurrection plot was ridiculous even by SRW standards. Making Axel so important to the plot and then not being able to even get his VA to record any new lines made it worse. Bartoll stuff ranged from meh to tedious until they started to go outside of the OVA plot. Then I just started to dread any stage they appeared in. Yes, they had a lot of Huckbeins and Gespents but outside of the Boxer, S and Kai they were all useless.

This is the first time I've seen anyone be that positive about OGG. I personally hated almost everything about it, including the situation with it's release. Paying over $70 for a game I had already played 1/3 of. Jesus...

CorvoSol

The free prologue is what, the first missions up to where you get Gurren Lagann? Cuz that's where it won't let me past now. I've been toying with the English version patch, so maybe that was just the free version, there.

Epyon and evolution of Guren Lagan will probably have a spot in the third Z chapter.

As for OE option menus, you probably have the free version which let's you play the game but doesn't let you change the bgms. You should be able to change bgm for each weapon if the version is the right one.

I'm kind of hoping that if/when the 3rd SRWZ game comes out (as someone who can't read the plot, I have no idea how probable this is?), they do the plot of EW. EW and ZZ Gundam would be nice.

UX's combat mechanics aren't bad in particular. It's more that the level design is so repetitive and easy that it gets very boring. Lack of SR points or other optional objectives doesn't help. Z2 is also an easy game, but it has more varied level design, and your pilot roster is more fun to play around with imo.

People should be able to give a negative opinion about a game without being personally attacked, but that seems to be the exception to the norm on video game forums.

MK3 is more difficult than MK2. It's one of the most difficult SRWs in the past few years. You can still game over grind or get some DLC parts to make things easier, though.

OE Ch 3 was pretty good. Still an easy game if you're using upgrades/parts/doing some grinding.

Loona

Based on the description in the article, definitely not your standard SRW game.

Siliconera outright calls it a fighting game, so I'm kinda surprised the Valsione isn't listed - probably will be later, as they're likely to include and announce Sanger too, just seems too popular to leave out.

The Dark Prison expandalone is bigger news to me than this game.

Going by the 17 mission EX routes in OG2, I fear this will be a 15 mission long 3000 yen DLC where Shu essentially hangs out with Saphine, Terius, Monica, Alfimi and Axel. Nothing to write home about but I guess that will do.

Top Bottom