• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers announced for PS4, PS3! Super hyped for this.

Super-Robot-Wars-OG-Moon-Dwellers-Ann_01-19-16.jpg

Yo, let's go!
I am immensely stoked for this.

It was also reported that a teaser trailer will be released on January 21 at 13:00 Japan time.

Menthuss

Gematsu updated their article:

Participating Characters and Mecha

Granteed – Touya Shiun is playable. Katia Grignard and Melua Melna Meia are support. Touya is the protagonist of the game. He throws himself into an encounter with Granteed, and Katia and Melua are two girls who appear riding Granteed.
Soul Saber FF – A prototype developed for mass production by Mogami Heavy Industries.
Akimi Akatsuki – The son of the president of Mogami Heavy Industries. He goes to the same high school as Touya.
Soul Saber GG – A prototype developed for mass production by Mogami Heavy Industries.
Akemi Akatsuki – Akimi’s twin sister. She often has to hold down her brother, who easily rushes into things.
Exploration Vine Boxer Type R
Exploration Vine Boxer Type L
G Compatible Kaiser

At the start of the game, you can select “Beginner Mode.” This lets inexperienced players play the game without worry, with more funds and upgrade parts to obtain.

Producer Interview

This is the first title as part of the Super Robot Wars 25th anniversary. There are other projects underway other than this game.
Super Robot Wars J protagonist Calvina Coulange will also appear as an ally unit.
Granteed’s setup will change in a big way, and he’ll be Touya’s personal mech.
The protagonists of Super Robot Wars GC were set up as twins. The Real Robot that wasn’t Soul Saber (maybe Soul Gunner?) won’t appear in this game.
Immediately after the game starts, it branches into two paths, one with Touya and another with Calvina. The Touya route is easier to play for new players.
The branch has no connection to the SR point.
Thanks to the hard work of the development staff, the special moves of the new mecha are a spectacular sight to see.
Development is 70 percent complete.

I assume this will also feature parts of the usual OG cast, because at face value, I can't say finally playing J and GC's originals was something I was particularly looking forward to.

Still, good news. Curious to see if this is an upgraded OG2 engine.

Menthuss

I assume this will also feature parts of the usual OG cast, because at face value, I can't say finally playing J and GC's originals was something I was particularly looking forward to.

Still, good news. Curious to see if this is an upgraded OG2 engine.

The full name of the game being the same as Dark Prison leads me to believe that this'll be a sidestory like Dark Prison was (possibly a prequel to OG3). So we're probably looking at a pretty small cast. I could be wrong tho.

The full name of the game being the same as Dark Prison leads me to believe that this'll be a sidestory like Dark Prison was (possibly a prequel to OG3). So we're probably looking at a pretty small cast. I could be wrong tho.
Yeah, Dark Prison and the absence of numbering was the first thing I thought of. I could see this being a Gaiden that bridges to OG3.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet! Finally an OG for PS4! :D

Man, I hope they don't get lazy with the animations, and hope they actually TRY to use the PS4's power.

Unfortunately, this being the first PS4 SRW doesn't instill much hope. Luckily trailer in a couple days.

Also, so they also confirmed that there's definitely multiple SRWs coming out this year. Whee.

That article almost made Calvina seem like an afterthought. I hope she doesn't get the shaft in favor of them pushing Touya, but my expectations are pretty low considering how they've treated the female protagonists in OGs.

That article almost made Calvina seem like an afterthought. I hope she doesn't get the shaft in favor of them pushing Touya, but my expectations are pretty low considering how they've treated the female protagonists in OGs.

She has her own route, so she's going to play a significant role at least!

Danj

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers announced for PS4, PS3! Super hyped for this.

Super-Robot-Wars-OG-Moon-Dwellers-Ann_01-19-16.jpg

Will it be necessary to have played all the previous OG games to get into this? And, do you suppose there's any chance of an English language release of any kind?

Will it be necessary to have played all the previous OG games to get into this? And, do you suppose there's any chance of an English language release of any kind?

1. Not necessary, but you might miss out on some things.
2. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhaha... sorry, I couldnhahahahahahaha. Probably not.

Not really. Since these games are basically remakes of older ones with better graphics, there's plenty of plot synopsis available to fill in the gaps if you're confused on.

No chance in hell of a localization. We're four games in already. They're not going to break that trend for a fifth Gaiden-esque game like this.

Not really. Since these games are basically remakes of older ones with better graphics, there's plenty of plot synopsis available to fill in the gaps if you're confused on.

No chance in hell of a localization. We're four games in already. They're not going to break that trend for a fifth Gaiden-esque game like this.

Never understood why they didn't localize it. They had a golden opportunity with OGS which lacked licensing issues. Hell everybody digs giant robots, and it would've sold at least as well as other niche Japanese games, probably more than some of the really out there stuff like Saint Seiya or FOTNS games.

Never understood why they didn't localize it. They had a golden opportunity with OGS which lacked licensing issues. Hell everybody digs giant robots, and it would've sold at least as well as other niche Japanese games, probably more than some of the really out there stuff like Saint Seiya or FOTNS games.

Bandai is weird/protective/unrealistic about mecha outside Asia. Probably doesn't help that mecha anime isn't nearly as popular in the West as other genres.

Bebpo

Banned
Weird it's not 3rd OGs. Must be behind schedule and yeah, this could totally be a Dark Prison like prologue chapter sold separately for more scamco bucks.

Hope there's enough good units to play as.

Bebpo

Banned
Tbh, I'll be happy if this is like OG Gaiden where it's like 35 maps with just 2-3 plot lines with good pacing and a bunch of kickass units for mostly full price.

So basically, nothing like Dark Prison.

PS. They really need to bring back some of the Shura units in this or 3rd OGs. Some of the best OG units in the series. Epitome of badass.

Shouta

If this was like OG Gaiden, that'd be great. I'm psyched for a new OGs game. It's been ages since 2nd OGs and with the PS4 finally coming into its own, this is the perfect time for them to capitalize on their HD asset work.

squall23

Granteed best J original. Where's Tenia?

Also, does Ryoto and Rio FINALLY have their Exbein Boxer from The Inspectors?!

And I'm glad the Akatsuki twins got in. Meaning that the NEO originals actually have a chance of being in one of these in the future.

Tsukumo

Tbh, I'll be happy if this is like OG Gaiden where it's like 35 maps with just 2-3 plot lines with good pacing and a bunch of kickass units for mostly full price.

So basically, nothing like Dark Prison.

PS. They really need to bring back some of the Shura units in this or 3rd OGs. Some of the best OG units in the series. Epitome of badass.

AGREED!

Bebpo

Banned
Rio's attack was cool. Best part of the trailer for sure. Just wish there was more than like 4 attacks. I think even Dark Prison's first PV had more footage than that. I'm assuming it's set for around April at the yearly series anniversary, so you'd think they'd have more to show.

Tsukumo

Two animations? Hopefully it won't end up being delayed forever like the first Generations.

- Didn't like Akimi actor.
- Touya's voice is good, though voice tone is bit too low for me. Doesn't fit the character IMO.
- Impressive work on the Gamecube OG mech. It's one of the most ass-looking mechs out there (and that color palette... BLLLEARGH) but animations wise it was spectacular.
- Granteed is boss.
- Fangasm on the black-hole cannon's animation: the concept of the matching speed is the same of previous animations but here it's executed to perfection. [Tips the fedora to show approval].

Reszo

Hype, wonder if they are going to bring back the split screen animations for team units. I hated that Z3 didnt have it.

Teknoman

And now to hold onto the slight glimmer of hope that with Bandai Namco releasing niche games like Sword Art and Digimon for PS4 outside of Japan, an OG series game could see the light of day again. Digital only release with subs.

I checked and it seems every western game has an ESRB rating on it.

Probably it makes sense that Bamco might bring it over to the west.

If it's coming, just for god's sake announce it before the Japanese version comes out, because I will import it. And then not buy a localized version.

Top Bottom