• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisoner

I9eLtFa.gif

Dr. Mario should have a beard.

emb

Smash was fine on japanese eshop. No issues at all. I even tried 5 minutes after midnight japan time, no issues. Then again, digital downloads are apparently not as popular over there.
I think it launched a little earlier than expected; at least I thought it was earlier than people here were telling me it would be. If so, that could have eased things up. Some people weren't expecting it yet, while others downloaded ahead of midnight.

georly

I think it launched a little earlier than expected; at least I thought it was earlier than people here were telling me it would be. If so, that could have eased things up. Some people weren't expecting it yet, while others downloaded ahead of midnight.

Oh man I should have checked.

The download took me 45 minutes though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Its interesting that they still haven't found the right course for it.

I thought subspace emissary was a step in the right direction.

Most fighting games get boring after you finish the single player campaign modes with all the characters and finish the various challenge modes. Not much can be done.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I just experienced the "Nana! Popo!" chant while using Villager in All-Star mode. :(

I really wish I didn't have classes at 8 am on Fridays. Given I'm in central time, I probably won't have time to play after downloading before going to sleep

emb

Oh man I should have checked.

The download took me 45 minutes though.
The time for the download must have been agonizing.

But yeah, you should have checked sooner. It did go up early. I found the pages where it happened, with some quotes:

Now downloading.

image.jpg

2 hours remain!!!!

Hype rising!!!!!

Downloading it now!

Seems to have gone up early. :D :D :D

wait wut?
isn't 10 PM in Japan now?

:O

Jawmuncher

I thought subspace emissary was a step in the right direction.

Most fighting games get boring after you finish the single player campaign modes with all the characters and finish the various challenge modes. Not much can be done.

That is true. Probably the weakest aspect of the genre now that I think of it.
SSE could have been good if the CG didn't take so much space and the story wasn't ridiculous.

Ryce

Bland, generic locales and fictitious enemies made SSE a bore. Smash Run is a step in the right direction with 70+ licensed enemies.

More fighting games should just do what MK and Injustice do in terms of Single Player content. Though Blazblue and Persona 4 Arena are also pretty good in that regard.

I'll have to read more into VIing but I have a sneaking suspicion that competitive SSB4 is going to be mainly off-stage fighting/chasing. Characters who can Wall of Pain I can see doing very well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Look so good. Did anyone tried to KBI out of it? (Vectoring or Hitstun shuffling)

Yeah... this definitely points to the heavyweights likely being very beneficial of this change -- they both get to survive longer and KO earlier, there's no drawback for them in this situation really. At least, early on here.

I'm interested in how things will evolve, though regardless. There is a reason to be concerned, however, with how large of a difference in % that comparison shows. I don't recall DI having that much of an impact on survival, it was generally much smaller in %. Like, the difference of getting KO'd at 135% and 139%. Not 150% and then 180% or 190%...

But who knows maybe I'm jumping the gun just like I had my concerns with custom moves being unlocked... oh wait, my concerns for that are legitimized now >_>

Yeah, I agreed with you that Heavyweight getting the benefits out of this changes but at same time you have to consider that heavy characters always get shafted because quick characters are faster or better than heavy characters are. Hopefully it's good balance but we will see.

As long as the regular Vs. mode is good even by yourself, most fighting games don't need a bunch of single-player modes to sustain them. I hardly ever touch the single-player modes in Smash now that I have everything unlocked; I always just fight against the CPU in Vs.

Jawmuncher

As long as the regular Vs. mode is good even by yourself, most fighting games don't need a bunch of single-player modes to sustain them. I hardly ever touch the single-player modes in Smash now that I have everything unlocked; I always just fight against the CPU in Vs.

I know for myself I never have as much fun with CPUs as I do player , hell not even close actually. To each his own obviously.

It super sucks that Sakurai limited Vs. mode by not including Special Smash

I want to have Jigglypuff on Tiny Smash w/ Poison Mushrooms and Parasols, do you know how adorable that is

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I feel like SmashBoards wants SSB4 to fail just so they can stick with Melee/Project M.

0wo3Csv.jpg

On the left we see a typical person enjoying a game of Sm4sh. To the right, a member of SmashBoards.

There are few people that want SSB4 fail so hard at competitively because they can't really stand competitive players. I'm pretty sure that people really want Smash 4 to be successful since there are more variable in current fighting games. For start, more characters!

I think this is the hidden truth in all of this.
People really want smash 4 to be the next big thing, and so are a tad paranoid when a new mechanic is discovered.

I think so but I can't speak for everyone.

Oh well...

Still hoping. Even if he didn't post it first, it was only two days later, when the Ninka leak wasn't proven true yet and it didn't have a huge following. Hard to believe it was just someone trying to build on Ninka's relatively unknown leak.

There are many people that always make a spin off of new rumors/leaks. That's normal.

Ryce

So the retro characters we've seen in Smash history have been

Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
R.O.B.
Pac-Man
Duck Hunt

Who will be next
I said this long before Duck Hunt was revealed, but each of the retro characters fills its own niche. They aren't arbitrarily added for the sake of including another retro character.

Mr. Game & Watch - Game & Watch handheld series
Duck Hunt - NES light gun series (Wild Gunman/Duck Hunt/Hogan's Alley)
Ice Climbers - 1984-1985 NES one-off action games (Excitebike/Urban Champion/Balloon Fight/Ice Climber/etc.)
R.O.B. - NES robot series (Stack-Up/Gyromite)
Pit - one-off Famicom Disk System games (Kid Icarus/Murasame Castle/etc.)

I could see Takamaru being added as an FDS replacement for Pit (who is no longer retro), but beyond that I have no idea.

Sakurai discussed Excitebike with respect to Brawl if I recall, so it occurs to me that he may have considered Excitebike a viable contender for inclusion, had the complications not existed. I think if Sakurai could find a way to make Excitebike work in Smash, he'd be a newcomer at the drop of a hat.

EDIT: Though, Excitebike is no longer retro.

FSLink

Banned
I know for myself I never have as much fun with CPUs as I do player , hell not even close actually. To each his own obviously.
Same but I'd rather fight a Lv5 CPU or something (not 9 due to their silly reactions) than play Single Player Classic for the millionth time. Of course playing against a human is best.

It's kinda neat that Villager got the reference to Balloon Fighter too since he was gonna be the retro rep before Sakurai decised on Ice Climbers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Whoa whoa whoa, what's KBI? Is that some new term I missed?

We haven't settle down with the name for that feature. D1 and the players want to call it KnockBack Influence, a guy that noticed the feature want to call it vectoring, and Sakurai and team already gave it the name, HitStun Shuffling so no one agreed on same name yet.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
We haven't settle down with the name for that feature. D1 and the players want to call it KnockBack Influence, a guy that noticed the feature want to call it vectoring, and Sakurai and team already gave it the name, HitStun Shuffling so no one agreed on same name yet.

Hitstun Shuffling is SDI isn't it?

NotLiquid

Hitstun Shuffling is SDI, not the same thing.

batfax

So the retro characters we've seen in Smash history have been

Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
R.O.B.
Pac-Man
Duck Hunt

Who will be next

Ice Climber's triumphant return.

Also, I want to see Ayumi Tachibana. Mostly because I really want to know how Sakurai would take an adventure game and make a moveset out of it, especially after seeing Duck Hunt's moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom