• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Custom Movesets seem pretty neat, and don't seem to have taken up that much development time I imagine...

And you don't even need the Amiibo to use them either.

Easy way out of not responding. Go you!
wow i got owned, you sure got me alright

ibdxGGxXWQ3M1g.gif

In other news, spent a lot of time today playing the 3DS demo. Mega Man finally makes sense after something like 15-20 matches, you basically want to hang back and use projectiles to damage enemies while occasionally closing the gap to attack them with melee aerial moves. If you can slide in and then pop them into the air with his down-A smash or his uppercut, it's pretty easy to follow it up with a simple aerial KO move. The tricky thing is Mega Man's buster shots while approaching need to be timed properly or they'll drop out of hitstun before you get a chance to set that up.

It's really useful to be able to attack while on approach, even if it's a little weak. To make Mega Man work you have to embrace his differences instead of trying to work around them, which I think makes for a pretty well designed character overall.

Mario is still Mario, though he feels a bit better than he used to be (it's been a while since I've played Melee or Brawl, but I feel confident in saying that). Honestly I want to get my hands on Doc and see how much better he feels. I miss the Mario Tornado an awful lot, and he's got it, so that should be good.

Link is a character I never played very much, but he seems pretty solid so hopefully that carries over into Toon Link, whom I enjoy a lot in Brawl.

Pikachu is tiny and adorable, I love his new character model and the new mechanics for Thunder being able to pierce platforms if they're far enough away. It makes the attack much more viable in enclosed spaces, and the origin point being a meteor attack is really useful if you can line it up. I still miss Pichu, but Pikachu is pretty good so it's alright. He got the goggles, I can work with it.

Villager is harder for me to wrap my head around than Mega Man for some reason. Like I understand how his moves work, but I can't seem to get any KOs reliably and my Pocket timing is terrible. I was always bad at using Counter-type moves, and that unfortunately rears it's ugly head once again here. I just need to figure out how to predict stuff so I can do better as Villager, since the character's gimmicks are really cool and the moveset is hilarious in the same sort of way Servbot's chef-based moves were in MvC2.

Overall, Mega Man is still the character I'm the most excited about on the roster but I'm worried about his viability in 1v1 matches. He's really well suited to the chaos of a 4 player free for all, or even maybe 2v2 team matches, but solo and without distractions for his opponents he can have a hard time staying ahead of his opponent's damage if they're pursuing him aggressively and not letting him get out of melee range.

Gotta get together with a friend tomorrow and play some multiplayer, but for now I'm having more fun than I thought I would just fighting computer opponents. Something about this game just feels right, once you've gotten used to the 3DS controls. I miss the c-stick pretty badly

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I played this game literally the whole day and I'm still having so much fun with it.

Also I got a K. Rool trophy if that matters.

The impressions for Ness earlier are pretty dusappointing. I was hoping he got buffed finally for this game.

I don't know if he got nerfed or buffed, but I like how he plays in this game more than Brawl.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
wow i got owned, you sure got me alright

ibdxGGxXWQ3M1g.gif
No intention to "own you", I just don't like being called ignorant by someone who can't support their arguments.

Also, not cool for using a Ryan gif. Too soon for me. :(
Ganondorf has a sword. Your argument is invalid.

It should've always been there.
Never understood why they tied him to Captain Falcon, who's moves were based on the anime, correct?

watershed

Banned
There is no practical use case scenario, and even for Smash there's nothing balanced about them.

Can you explain more why custom move sets are so bad? I plan on customizing my Mii Fighter with a number of different move sets for different play styles and versus different types of opponents. From what I've seen it seems like there are plenty of "practical use case scenarios".

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Does anyone know Ness' custom up-specials? Does he have any regular, easy-to-recover ones?

No intention to "own you", I just don't like being called ignorant by someone who can't support their arguments.

Also, not cool for using a Ryan gif. Too soon for me. :(

Never understood why they tied him to Captain Falcon, who's moves were based on the anime, correct?

Smash 64 (and melee for that matter) was released before the anime. Pretty sure they borrowed the Falcon Punch from the game rather than the other way around. Ganondorf not having a sword in Melee likely has to do with the fact that he also had no sword in Ocarina of Time either :p

From TVTropes

"His seemingly baseless moveset is a remnant of the prototype title Dragon King: The Fighting Game (before it became a Mascot Fighter), where it was the moveset for the one character programmed in at the time."

No idea what Captain Falcon's moveset would have been if this didn't happen.

And Ganondorf was a clone due to time constraints. What makes it worse is that he would have had a sword-based moveset, if they weren't so close to release date.

Walking around in Kawasaki here in Japan today I walked by a giant display with machines set up and lines and lines of kids playing on 3dses outside of a Giant electronic store. This thing I think will do gang busters here.

Forkball

Here are some cool trophies I got recently:

Fossil Fighter main characters
WOLF (lol)
Cranky Kong
Chariot King from Kid Icarus
Red Ghost from Pac Man
Silver from Sonic
Knuckles from Sonic
Skunk from Kicks in Animal Crossing
Blue Falcon (SNES sprite)
Saria
Splash (what's he from? He's a 2D water droplet)

I wonder how often we'll be seeing Pocket tennis matches between Villagers...

tumblr_nbs3nwV7061snizz3o1_400.gif

pocket seriously has to be one of the greatest and yet scariest moves ever, like the villager can catch thunder bolts and bombs without batting an eye he turned pikachu's thunder into nothing more than inhouse furniture for his home

Whoa! Hot Pocket w/ Bob-Ombs, Smart Bombs, and the like?

Anything would work, really. The tree in particular, after 1 pocket is strong enough to basically one-shot you. After 2 it will definitely one-shot you. After 5? 10? You're looking at inescapable death.

Do coins from the demo transfer over for us too or is it only in Japan?

The game's not out in the US yet, so we have no way to know. I don't see why it would be any different from the JP demo though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised it is taking so long for custom moves to show up. Or maybe people just don't care about those. Still only know 2 of Falcon's, 1 for Marth, and 0 for ZSS.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The game's not out in the US yet, so we have no way to know. I don't see why it would be any different from the JP demo though.
Someone said that the coins transfer, but mine didn't. Is there something you have to do for them to transfer or was this only a rumor?

Surprised it is taking so long for custom moves to show up. Or maybe people just don't care about those. Still only know 2 of Falcon's, 1 for Marth, and 0 for ZSS.

The competitive players are all doing a bunch of 1v1 matches and figuring out combos and character potential, in modes that don't generally unlock stuff like that. The casual players who are earning and unlocking moves and gear are not cataloging them.

Basically nobody's doing anything productive since they're too busy playing the game how they like to play it. I can't really blame them, but I'm sure the rest of us would appreciate seeing more of the unlockable moves in detail.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What does "practical use" even mean? It's more options and more content for those who want it, and a possible way to make characters better.
It's saving characters through a mode that isn't really legitimate play. Goofing off with the custom moves once might be interesting, but there's little meaning in adjusting yourself to characters that will not see play in competitive online or tournament play. I get that it's a "more options" thing, but these resources feel like they could have been more useful elsewhere. As a series Smash is a pretty egregious offender when it comes to loading certain characters up with junker moves/abilities, so seeing that stuff fixed or watching boring abilities be augmented into something interesting or unique in a way that's not incorporated into the main game just seems bizarre. While other competitive online games tweak abilities to improve the balance and health of a game Smash has cravenly picked apart these changes and discarded them into obscurity, only to be remembered as though they were some sort of fever dream.

Do you want to play some custom move set Sonic that might actually save him from being terrible? Have fun segregating yourself from the community, and familiarizing yourself with a move set that isn't actually real.

Teknoman

Why wouldnt you be able to use them in online battles? I can see local tournaments or big scene tournaments restricting them, but I dont see why...say GAF couldnt have a customs only tournament and so on.

Sucks that it seems like anything added that could be even more fun or flashy gets axed for tournaments ( final smashes for example).

Is it just me, or does Pikachu seem really nerfed? His attacks seem to lack killing power and it feels like the range for most of them has been reduced. I don't think I've even managed to kill with his Final Smash yet.

Agree so much. He's so terrible in the demo... He used to be a fun viable character. But now, he's pretty shit.

dimb

Why wouldnt you be able to use them in online battles? I can see local tournaments or big scene tournaments restricting them, but I dont see why...say GAF couldnt have a customs only tournament and so on.
But why would you run that kind of a tournament? If it's purely for the novelty of things, fine, but I don't really think the custom move sets support the core experience well.

But why would you run that kind of a tournament? If it's purely for the novelty of things, fine, but I don't really think the custom move sets support the core experience well.

They're totally going to be allowed in Wii U tournaments.

although it is more convenient to turn them off for 3DS because otherwise everyone has to unlock them all on their own

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's satisfying to know that Marth and Lucina are VERY different when it comes to gameplay.
You can't just say this and not post details, this is one of the things I am most curious about as a Marth user.

Unless you are being sarcastic. Lucina's damage output looked pretty good in the stream I saw though.

dimb

They're totally going to be allowed in Wii U tournaments.

although it is more convenient to turn them off for 3DS because otherwise everyone has to unlock them all on their own
Do you seriously think people that run major tournaments are going to support custom move sets?

Forkball

Yep. One gaffer posted the email message and it told him that you could transfer the coins to the real game.

I'm almost certain it caps at 500 coins though. That's enough to buy a trophy or ramp it up a tad in classic, so don't think you can just farm coins until launch.

J@hranimo

Banned
So I managed to get the demo from a friend of mine and I finally stopped playing it for several hours. SEVERAL HOURS!

This game! It's so good, and so promising for Competitive metagame. So far my fav is Link with Mario a close 2nd. Megaman is 3rd, I gotta work on him more.

The controls were wonky at first, but after about 20-30 mins I got used to them. I have to switch L for shield and R for grab though, that is kinda maddening.

3 weeks GAF, 3 weeks.

watershed

Banned
It's saving characters through a mode that isn't really legitimate play. Goofing off with the custom moves once might be interesting, but there's little meaning in adjusting yourself to characters that will not see play in competitive online or tournament play. I get that it's a "more options" thing, but these resources feel like they could have been more useful elsewhere. As a series Smash is a pretty egregious offender when it comes to loading certain characters up with junker moves/abilities, so seeing that stuff fixed or watching boring abilities be augmented into something interesting or unique in a way that's not incorporated into the main game just seems bizarre. While other competitive online games tweak abilities to improve the balance and health of a game Smash has cravenly picked apart these changes and discarded them into obscurity, only to be remembered as though they were some sort of fever dream.

Do you want to play some custom move set Sonic that might actually save him from being terrible? Have fun segregating yourself from the community, and familiarizing yourself with a move set that isn't actually real.

I really struggle to understand why you seem to make a distinction between "legitimate play" and how people have fun with the game. Your post suggests there's a "right way" to play Smash. You know some people like playing with their friends and family online or in person and don't care about tournaments or any perceived "legitimate play". Smash as a franchise serves more than just you or tournament players. Custom move sets bring a lot of depth and, obviously, customization to people who want to explore and invest in all those options. It's not useless or detrimental.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do you seriously think people that run major tournaments are going to support custom move sets?

Why wouldn't they, unless they are just completely broken? To me it seems like they add depth to each character and that is something they would embrace.

The competitive scene has already talked a lot about how more move variety makes more characters potentially viable, since you can replace mediocre attacks with better ones.

The two main issues are 1: it all needs to be unlocked, and 2: setup time. If those two issues can be dealt with easily, then custom moves can potentially open up a lot of characters for high-level play that would otherwise not be viable, and you will see a lot of moveset counter-picking for particular characters (Kirby going up against someone with a mediocre neutral B? pick ice breath. etc).

It's really not any more complex than selecting a team and assist styles in MvC3, as long as it's quick to do

People assuming that custom moves will not be allowed in tournaments just because they're a form of customization have not paid much attention to the discussions going on within the community about their potential right now. Things are very positive. But they're still cautious.

JoeM86

Why not? They provide variety. Variety should be key to these things.

But then again, I don't get competitive Smash. Often people turn off the things that make the game fun.

In my eyes, both for Pokémon and Smash, if it's coded into the game, it should be allowed & used. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom