• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melee has the best theme and then it's followed by Smash 4. Brawl easily has the worst.
I support this. Smash 4 has the right balance of playful and epic for me, so I dig it.

The scene has both angles. I picked this one cause I couldn't find art of Chrom depicted from behind :p
Haha, sorry, I hate being that guy that corrects someone's work. I like to swoop in before someone else says something in a meaner way.

Brawl's main theme clearly shows once more that Nobou Uematsu is a god of video game music. ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

srsly tho, fuck brawl's theme, so overused

Village

It's cool if generic epic choruses are your thing! I prefer more sweeping, adventurous scores.

but actually melee has the best theme so it doesn't matter

Its less my thing, because I don't get super into orchestral music of that nature, and more I think this one is just not that good. Its not getting me hype for smash, rather generic. The only fighting game released this year to have a theme that got me hype was the USF4 menu theme. Which I have been using as some type of musical aid (heh) to get me hype about smash.

"This orchestrial business isn't doing its job, time to get the electric mess"

Ahnez

I want a lot of the amiibos. Probably going to nab Peach and Pit first to see if they are good quality. If they are, then my wallet is in for some pain :(
They are nintendo products, they will probably be really well made :)

Btw, just noticed your avatar is Doflamingo, dont know how I didn't notice earlier :p

Oh, we're ranking main themes? Brawl = 4 > Melee > 64 for me.

As for character select themes... well, maybe the same. Undecided on if I like Brawl's or 4's more, though.

Can't believe all this talk about Brawl's main theme being horrible. Poppycock!

so i've been playing game & wario and idk if this is one of those ideas that people bring up over and over thinking they're clever, but 9-volt's room could make for a pretty swanky wario stage

Village

it's not horrible but it's so unsuited for Smash. Well, I guess it was suited for Brawl...

How so?

I felt it fit as well as anything else considering this is a crossover fighting game.

Also just remembered, thanks brawl for all those remixes. Bramble blast.

Moonlight

Banned
Can't believe all this talk about Brawl's main theme being horrible. Poppycock!
It was just unmemorable and never felt appropriate for the kind of game Smash is. It took itself too seriously with the pseudo-latin chorus and the heavy orchestral instrumentation. Melee and even Smash 4 have more... nuance to it. Whimsy? I feel like I shouldn't be using that word, but it just feels that they were a lot more appropriate to the tone of the game and concept than Brawl's theme ever did.

I think the most damning criticism I can put to it is despite it being played at literally every possible opportunity in the game, I couldn't tell you how the song went.

Village

It was just unmemorable and never felt appropriate for the kind of game Smash is. It took itself too seriously with the pseudo-latin chorus and the heavy orchestral instrumentation. Melee and even Smash 4 have more... nuance to it. Whimsy? I feel like I shouldn't be using that word, but it just feels a lot more appropriate to the tone of the game and concept than Brawl's theme ever did.

I think the most damning criticism I can put to it is despite it being played at literally every possible opportunity in the game, I couldn't tell you how the song went.
I don't understand this at all,

What do you mean took itself too seriously? What does that even mean?

Brawl Menu theme > Melee Menu theme

Hell Brawl OST was musical heaven for me. Some of the songs are just so out there I can't help but love them like Tetris Theme B I mean it sound like you're fighting in a Russian bar!

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, most of Brawl's actual music is fine, and I appreciated the variety (even if some music selections were questionable). The main theme did nothing for me, however.

A storyline as deadly serious as Subspace emissary demanded a sweeping Latin choral theme to really hit home the destruction of R.O.B land orchestrated by the evil hologram man or whatever the plot was about.

Village

Smash is a fun celebration of video game history. Brawl's theme didn't feel like a celebration. It felt like some JRPG intro.

It felt like an orchestral theme created for the cross over fighting game, to signify the gravity of the event, just like melee's just like 4's. SO I ask again, WAT?

I don't understand. JRPG, what? This is coming from a dude who plays alot of those, like alot lot, how did you even get JRPG out of that?

A storyline as deadly serious as Subspace emissary demanded a sweeping Latin choral theme to really hit home the destruction of R.O.B land orchestrated by the evil hologram man or whatever the plot was about.

It was essentially who framed Rodger rabbit with out the set up.

Jintor

i feel like i'm banging my head against a brick wall here lol if you can't here the thematic difference between melee/4 and brawl

Like Melee's is actually also an orchestral celebration but it's way lighter in tone and feel than brawl. (Also Melee feels more like an overture)

Moonlight

Banned
It felt like an orchestral theme created for the cross over fighting game, to signify the gravity of the event, just like melee's just like 4's. SO I ask again, WAT?

I don't understand.
I don't know how to keep rephrasing this. Brawl's theme was heavier and darker than the content and concept needed or demanded. SSB isn't just a crossover fighter, it's a fun celebratory romp through Nintendo's oldest and newest properties and mascots. The whole idea was based around playing around with figures. Brawl's dark latin chorus and self-serious tone to its' main theme seemed disconnected with that premise. It might have been true for Subspace Emissary (which I don't have clear memory of), but certainly not for Smash itself. Melee and even 4 resemble parade music more than anything else, which is entirely appropriate to the kind of event that SSB is.

Like if you still don't understand what I mean then I can't really be bothered to continue since clearly I am equally misunderstanding you right now.

Jintor

It's like if someone was asking me the difference between ragtime and smooth jazz. "I can't hear it, what are you talking about?"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's like if someone was asking me the difference between ragtime and smooth jazz. "I can't hear it, what are you talking about?"

I'm sorry if I pulled a mean joke on you. I really can't tell difference in any music. It's a completely honest statement from me.

Heck, I can't tell difference between Country, Rock n Roll, and Rap. Yes, It's a riddle so tell me what's wrong with me?

Jintor

I'm sorry if I pulled a mean joke on you. I really can't tell difference in any music. It's a completely honest statement from me.

Heck, I can't tell difference between Country, Rock n Roll, and Rap. Yes, It's a riddle so tell me what's wrong with me?

We're going to have to operate

You know, I love orchestral music, but I'm not going to lie, the Brawl theme is probably my least favorite thing I've heard that is composed by Uematsu. It just doesn't fit the game that well IMO. It seems like something out of an RPG (which makes sense, given the composer).

Plus, its competing against one of the absolutely most hype video game themes EVER. The Melee theme is so amazing. The nostalgia I get when I start that game up and see the intro...

Moonlight

Banned
2019.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom