• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

I don't actually think it's a good idea, ha. :) Sakurai does such an amazing job with each character, I wouldn't want anyone else to do it.

Just giving this amazing post extra exposure.

Also, no lies, I really want Takamaru for the stage and music/instruments he'd bring with him. Something like TvC's Daigo Castle with a sumi-e filter like Okami or Cricket's game in Game & Wario while remixed versions of stuff like Castle Town, Inside The Castle & Murasame Castle plays?

iihhUyDqMgiis.gif

Takamaru? Please, like we need another blue haired swordsman.

He has black hair though. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
*feels tempted to go on long tangent about how much he loves Nintendo Land and the Takamaru attraction in particular, but decides to spare Heath a headache and stay on topic*

I don't see anything, so I'm going to report that mission failed.

Fringe's Broyles. he's pretty cool in Fringe. He would willing to overlook some errors and results to support his teammates. In other word, feel free to do whatever you want since you had a good point in last page.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I've been watching a lot of Mega Man gameplay and it kinda has me worried a little bit. He seems to lack hard hitting smashes and attacks that keep you away from him since he excels at ranged combat due to his multitude of projectiles. His neutral A is a damn pathetic shame because someone like Little Mac can jump all in his grill with hardly any fear except for a obviously telegraphed forward smash.

Crash Bomber seems to take too long to go off and Metal Blades lack the stopping power you would expect from them being so hellaciously OP in the NES game.

Leaf Shield, the poor people using him whether casual or hardcore seem to have already figured out its not that good. Too much start up and end lag. Haven't seen how potent it is at eating attacks cause everyone seems so clueless or whatever to put it out and use it often. Not to mention it doesn't last long.

And i'm saying this as a huge Mega Man fan. I'm worried guys. Someone tell me i'm being paranoid.

EDIT: More importantly, I've yet to see, in all the gameplay videos, Mega Man actually like wrecking people. Most of his wins always seemed to stem from either outlasting his opponents or opportunistic kills. I know its a new game and the physics are different, but I would think that people would start to be able to grasp him better. So far I've hardly see ANYONE use him effectively.

Fandangox

Where did the Takamaru thing come from? I feel like that's something the internet just decided could happen haha, more power to you!

He was in the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3 with an updated desing, and was also included in NintendoLand. So some people (myself included) thought he would make a comeback in smash.

Moonlight

Banned
Y'know, as much as this thread talks about about characters and newcomer possibilities, I don't really see much discussion about what stages anyone would like to see and how they'd work. So, I'll ask it now. What are the stages you most want in the game and (if you want) how do you think they'd work? Been sorta kicking around the idea myself, at least.

1. Endgame (from FE:A):
Grima, I think, was one of the most memorable maps in Awakening, by virtue of the fact that you were fighting on top of a fucking dragon. Ever since then, I've always entertained the idea of how that would translate to Smash. By which I mean it would be the coolest thing ever, soaring over the Dragon's Table while fighting each other. Basically it'd sorta be like a cooler version of Corneria with less random Arwings. Although I think it'd be neat to have Grima's head snap at the nuisances fooling around on its' back occasionally. Maybe breathe fire, but maybe that's too disruptive without platforms? Grima's tail could occasionally whip around and send people off of him. Anyways, I think it'd be awesome.

Then again I dunno how likely it is given the fact I feel the need to spoiler tag this. :lol

2. Lightning Battle (from KI:U): One of the more frustrating levels of KI:U, but I feel like it's one of the more memorable ones, as well. I think you could make a pretty good stage out of the boss arena of the chapter. Throw in a handful of platforms and have a stage hazard on ground level where either the ground occasionally gets electrified or there's a lightning-laser-rotation... thing that stuns anyone (and does a couple percent) to anyone who doesn't avoid it in time. You could probably do something a little more interesting with the lightning angle, but I'm not very creative!

Was a little keen at first on including
Thanatos's and Phosphora's hype-ass DBZ battle
somehow, but I'm not sure how that would work without making it another transforming stage.

But basically it's as good an excuse as any to include Lightning Battle the song.

3. Chaos Vortex (from KI:U): You could legitimately make this the most nuts Smash stage ever. The Chaos Vortex is the most bizarre place that you ever wind up in the game and I feel like there's a lot of ways you could leverage that into a compelling stage. Drifting pieces of ruins for platforms! Maybe a new stage form could literally drop in from above like it does in the chapter's gauntlet. Opaque hands come out of nowhere to slap at your characters! Eyes break out of nowhere to... look imposing! You could get even zanier but ideally I prefer stages that don't turn it into the biggest enemy you need to deal with as opposed to your actual opponents.

I guess it might be annoying in practice, especially if it gets too crazy and absurd and random (like if it started occasionally reversing gravity :lol) but it might be cool!

man you could get like 10 stages out of KIU easy

Makai

I have to say, Sword Ganondorf's chances are about as good as Ridley's. Ganondorf is Sakurai's main in Brawl, for crying out loud.

Neiteio

RE: stage ideas (per Moonlight's request):

I want two more Kid Icarus stages: one in the WiiU version, one in the 3DS version.

Moonlight already named one of them -- I think Lightning Battle would be great for the WiiU version, as a way to incorporate running commentary from all of the gods (Viridi, Hades, Phosphora, Thanatos, etc). But come to think of it, the fact that Phosphora is an Assist Trophy kind of rules this one out... At any rate, if we got it somehow, I'd like it to be a stage like Lylat Cruise in Brawl, where you're aboard a series of platforms that are constantly traveling through the background.

The KIU stage I'd like for the 3DS version is Medusa's Castle, set in the Underworld, complete with the Gatekeeper miniboss as a stage hazard or boss hazard. It could be a huge sprawling stage on the 3DS -- a perfect counterpart to Palutena's Temple on the WiiU. :)

random25

[QUOTE="D";122091451]I've been watching a lot of Mega Man gameplay and it kinda has me worried a little bit. He seems to lack hard hitting smashes and attacks that keep you away from him since he excels at ranged combat due to his multitude of projectiles. His neutral A is a damn pathetic shame because someone like Little Mac can jump all in his grill with hardly any fear except for a obviously telegraphed forward smash.

Crash Bomber seems to take too long to go off and Metal Blades lack the stopping power you would expect from them being so hellaciously OP in the NES game.

Leaf Shield, the poor people using him whether casual or hardcore seem to have already figured out its not that good. Too much start up and end lag. Haven't seen how potent it is at eating attacks cause everyone seems so clueless or whatever to put it out and use it often. Not to mention it doesn't last long.

And i'm saying this as a huge Mega Man fan. I'm worried guys. Someone tell me i'm being paranoid.[/QUOTE]

Well a lot of comments about Megaman is that there's a steep leaning curve for using him. Kind of because he plays so differently due to focused projectile play. But there is a lot of potential for Megaman as far as what I saw in video footages. Need to play as him before giving my final judgment.

From what I heard, Takamaru is Japanese's Little Mac over there. One of most wanted character, if anyone would like to correct me here.

I'd be really interested in seeing these polls. I hear them mentioned often but have never looked at them. If anyone could link me to any of them I'd appreciate it. Does Sakurai sanction these before development or are these just random internet polls or... something inbetween?

gogojira

It'd be splendid if Termina Great Bay and Brinstar Depths returned as classic stages. I was so bummed that they didn't make it into Brawl.

Neiteio

Well a lot of comments about Megaman is that there's a steep leaning curve for using him. Kind of because he plays so differently due to focused projectile play. But there is a lot of potential for Megaman as far as what I saw in video footages. Need to play as him before giving my final judgment.
I wonder if you're expected to get many of your Mega Man KOs by shooting people off the top of the screen (Air Shooter) or meteor smashing them down below (Hard Knuckle).

Zubz

Banned
Do you really want to hurt us like that? If Kamiya design the moveset, then we might get a broken character like Raiden in PASBR. :p

Eh, he still wasn't as bad as Kratos. Square Button. That's all you needed to win barring the Super button, and that's including the control stick. After Sony Santa Monica took over, you knew they were just gonna leave their baby Kratos as-is and never patch him to be fair, either.
Granted, they halted development on everything not God of War: Ascension-related before killing the project, leaving 2 75% finished characters including Abe himself on the cutting room floor but finishing that terrible "Generic Spartan Soldier" alt for Kratos, but I digress...

Also, why are we all talking Takamaru like he's a surefire cut again?

And I'm calling another Trophy Two-sday tonight.

jph139

Also, no lies, I really want Takamaru for the stage and music/instruments he'd bring with him. Something like TvC's Daigo Castle with a sumi-e filter like Okami or Cricket's game in Game & Wario while remixed versions of stuff like Castle Town, Inside The Castle & Murasame Castle plays?

THIS ORCHESTRAL VERSION of the Murasame Castle theme should be enough to sell anyone on Takamaru. I just wish I knew where it was from...

Also, when is NoA going to release Mysterious Murasame Castle in America?! I think we're the only region that hasn't even had hints toward it...

Village

It was ok enough in the beginning that I just kept watching.

An action game with Sakurai will certainly be cool. There is definitely a lot of room for him to make it his own thing like Kid Icarus.

Someone said that Sakurai was thinking of putting him during the Brawl years but he didn't have any recent games that he was in during that time.

I fall in the same category, i just kinda kept watching.

As far as the action game goes, ... if the KI redesigns are any indication, i trust him thematically atleast.

Muscle jack Black was my favorite ki design.

Neiteio

Thing with Takamaru's design is

1) Sakurai's not really beholden to anything, since Takamaru's recent appearances have been third-party tie-ins or joke games

2) You could always make the blue hair such a dark shade that it's practically black :p

Fandangox

for some reason Sword Valley seems like an interesting Xenoblade stage

People keep mentioning this, I don't remember anything that interesting happening in Sword Valley aside from those
giant mechon patrolling the area.

Also guys please don't mention TWEWY for smash its never going to happen and it just makes me sad ;-;

Zubz

Banned
THIS ORCHESTRAL VERSION of the Murasame Castle theme should be enough to sell anyone on Takamaru. I just wish I knew where it was from...

Also, when is NoA going to release Mysterious Murasame Castle in America?! I think we're the only region that hasn't even had hints toward it...

It took us a year to get SMB3 after everyone else and we still don't have the original Mario Kart. You think we're getting something as cool/complicated as Murasame Castle? *Sigh* I'm still holding out hope after Earthbound, but I still can't help but feel that one was a fluke.

Lunar15

1. Endgame (from FE:A):

No joke, My friend beat the game before I did, and for some reason I asked him if there any levels that would make a good smash level, since FE doesn't have a lot of really memorable locations to choose from in older games, and I had figured we'd get some FE:A representation this time around. He told me the last level would work reall well, and sure enough, when I got there I completely agreed.

Shame Sakurai is sticking to more generic locales. I feel like stages can sometimes be his weak point. There's so many good opportunities for levels, but he usually goes for a literal rip of a location or something kind of generic. Not always, though.

Fire Emblem has too much blue hair and not enough green hair in Smash

or red hair, there can never be enough redheads\

Titania for Smash!!!!

Y'know, as much as this thread talks about about characters and newcomer possibilities, I don't really see much discussion about what stages anyone would like to see and how they'd work. So, I'll ask it now. What are the stages you most want in the game and (if you want) how do you think they'd work? Been sorta kicking around the idea myself, at least.
I'm hoping for Wario's Castle as a Wario Land stage, and a newer Warioware stage where all the microgames are hazards that you avoid. (Of course, the Brawl Warioware stage has to come back, too!)

For Wario's Castle, I think it makes sense. It's the first level in the second game, and we've never had a stage set inside a castle. It could be a walk off since Wario Land doesn't have many bottomless pits to fall into. For stage hazards, a boss (Captain Syrup) could work, and she could throw enemies at you in which you could pick up and throw it. Basically keeps up the spirit of using enemies to your advantage in Wario Land.
If not Wario's Castle, then the S.S Tea Cup could work as well. I just want a Wario Land stage to make up for the lack of content the series had in Brawl...and to have Wario Land music, of course. :p

Moonlight

Banned
you know what game you could get even more stages out of?

Xenoblade
Prison Island: You could make this a pretty compact stage, like Yoshi's Island in size with the titular prison stalagmite thing in the back. There are chains guarding the edges of the actual location in Xenoblade, but I'm not sure what you could do with them from a Smash stage standpoint. Making it more difficult for people to fall off strikes me as kind of counterintuitive, :lol. And Metal Face occasionally flies through to swipe at people and then fucks off. No, he's not a boss. Why? Because fuck bosses.

Nighttime Satorl Marsh deserves to be a stage, too. I don't know how, but goddammit if that's not the prettiest location in Xenoblade.

Moonlight's alter ego account confirmed
shit

rawktapus

I still think it's kind of ridiculous we haven't gotten a Bowser's Castle stage yet. Other than that the ones that stick out to me are:

1. Museum (Animal Crossing) I always thought the museum would be a cool locale for fighting. Each time you start the match, you start in a different wing of the museum; so one match has you fighting on collapsable dinosaur skeletons, another has you fighting over fish tanks while sharks and other fish jump across the platforms. Don't quite know what you'd do for the insect and art wings, but I'm sure there's some neat ways you could incorporate them.

2. Diamond City (Warioware): I love the goofy universe of Warioware and a city environment that has plenty of cameos from the Warioware cast would be great. Sort of an update on the Melee map "Fourside"

3. Magicant (Earthbound): Another super trippy map that would just be amazing to see adapted into a stage. Even if it was just a flat surface with a few platforms, it's such an out there concept, that it'd be sure to be an iconic stage.

4. Zinger Hive (DKC2): Most people default to the pirate ship motif, but I thought the beehive levels in DKC2 to be some of the prettiest, most clever levels in the game, and a stage that had a sticky honey hazard could lead to some hilarious meltdowns.

5. Aether (MP2): A level that would revolve around occasionaly shifting dimensions. When going into the "dark world" certain areas would be enveloped in a transparant light that would be "safe zones". Fighting outside these zones would cause slow-but-constant damage until the dimension shifted back into the light world. Maybe have Ings occasionally show up to attack people who go outside the light zones as well while in the dark world.

Jintor

MiiVerse stage. Or an Art Academy stage.

Rhythm Heaven/Ouendan/EBA Stage.

Some kind of Bionis/Mechnois stage.

Brain Training final boss

gogojira

Anyone playing Brawl on Wii U? I'm not sure if it's just me, but the sensitivity is so fucked. Often just trying to dash forward turns into a series of stutter steps and any charging mechanic is a pain in the ass. Even selecting items in the menu can lead to multiple taps at once.

It's really annoying.

Prison Island: You could make this a pretty compact stage, like Yoshi's Island in size with the titular prison stalagmite thing in the back. There are chains guarding the edges of the actual location in Xenoblade, but I'm not sure what you could do with them from a Smash stage standpoint. Making it more difficult for people to fall off strikes me as kind of counterintuitive, :lol. And Metal Face occasionally flies through to swipe at people and then fucks off. No, he's not a boss. Why? Because fuck bosses.

Nighttime Satorl Marsh deserves to be a stage, too. I don't know how, but goddammit if that's not the prettiest location in Xenoblade.

shit

you have good taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom