• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchris

I don't know that I want a lot of Melee-style near identical clones. Brawl did clones right. On the other hand, I think Lucina as a Marth clone makes sense storywise, so it feels okay. Hopefully any other clones are a bit more diversified, at least in their tilts, smashes and aerials, like Lucas and Wolf. Now that is how you do a 'clone'.

As far as how Lucina's sword works differently from Marth's, to me it sounds like Marth's sword has a sweet spot that deals high damage and knockback, with a sour spot that deals low damage and knockback. Lucina's sword deals the same damage and knockback whatever part of the sword you hit with, and it's somewhere in between Marth's sweet spot & sour spot along the entire length. So Marth's strongest hit is stronger, and his weakest hit is weaker, but Lucina is easier to use because she's more consistent, so spacing is less important with her. On the other hand, she also has less combo potential and less kill potential.

As far as Robin is concerned, I think most people are right that her
yes, her, love her final smash, in my headcanon Chrom is my husabando
neutral special is thunder, her side special fire, her up special wind and her down special dark, and GameXplain's idea that the different strengths of each element are probably her customizations, with Thoron being a chargeable neutral for all of them (which begs the question, can you charge the side special for Bolganone, or I guess Meteor?).

I also think you'll have a 'magic meter' or something like that, and different attacks will use up your magic until your tome runs out. Since the 4 tomes are different specials, I can't imagine that they would break separately, so using any special will probably drop your meter, until you're out, and you toss the tome aside. Then you get the Levin sword. However, since it's clear that you can have the Levin sword and a Tome at the same time, most likely your magic regenerates over time, respawning your Tome when it fills. Meanwhile, you can use the Levin sword, but the Levin sword only has so many hits (25 would be game accurate) before it breaks. So the resource management on this side would be not to use up your Levin sword attacks (which will probably only actually be used up by Smashes and Specials) before your magic regenerates.

Others have noted how Robin's fighting style seems to change based on whether you have a Tome or the Levin sword, so it's a good way to make a character like the transforming characters or Pokemon Trainer where you have to learn to play multiple styles for the same character, but without the drawbacks that you effectively have no control over when you change (Samus/ZSS), you can stick with one version of the character but lose out on a special move (Zelda/Sheik) and most importantly without the having to load an entire new character model in the middle of combat (the much simpler Tome/Bronze Sword/Levin Sword models can easily be stored in RAM).

Astarte

As much as I love the discussion about buttocks,

ENTIRE ROSTER TO BE REVEALED NEXT MONTH BY COROCORO

nfFBmjD.png

Source: http://corocoro.tv/next/

Hooray!

I've prepared a pamphlet with some of my campaign literature.

A8yrS3B.jpg

(Fox is a typo, he will be expunged in future printings.)

Oh my, whoever modeled Snake's butt has a good eye.

Spinluck

[QUOTE="D";121093141]Animation-wise we haven't seen anything.

Posts below make sense though. If Sakurai could have been bothered to make new animations for her then it would make sense to just go ahead and give her a new moveset. Didn't think about that myself before I posted my idea about her getting her own animations. Its nearly 3AM here and my brain is on auto-pilot[/QUOTE]

She already has a few animations and poses unique to her, so we'll see. But yeah, judging by what Sakurai is saying I was wrong about her not being a clone. Was hoping there were at least some difference in a few normals and Smash attacks.

Videoneon

Honestly i always expected at least that it was going to be higher than brawls roster despite sakurai's comments but i really cant see 52+ i dont mind dlc but i would like them to be sparing and bring something unique

and while i am super excited for lucina i do hope she remains the only "clone new comer" (since i also loved toon link) that is introduced in smash 4 since i really do enjoy the unique the rest of the roster brings to their movesets

Yeah i am actually excited for the differences between Lucina and Marth and I understand Toon Link with Wind Waker HD being around, and similarly don't really want more clones just new stuff

Still =P on DLC but i get where you're coming from

Heyt

Banned
Well, after all the talk yesterday it seems I was rightfully pointed wrong and Lucina has her own slot on the roster. At least the way Sakurai adressed this today directly makes me think that was the most logical decision and he's awareness of that. Along with the confirmation of almost insignificant differences between her and Marth and them having the very same habilities, I still think it was a very legit thing to think at the time.

I am convinced that it is, in fact, the most sensible thing to do. Clones have hurted this franchise for a long time now. I'm really happy that we're getting more gender variety in this game, it's something I wanted in the series for a while, but I prioritize relevancy in therms of gameplay content and I think Lucina does't have that. In my eyes it's Doctor Mario all over again.

Overall this could be bad news for the game, from my pointo of view at least. If Sakurai is willing to include this kind of spots to the roster I fear we'll be getting more like this both as newcommers and unchanged veterans.

I don't know that I want a lot of Melee-style near identical clones. Brawl did clones right. On the other hand, I think Lucina as a Marth clone makes sense storywise, so it feels okay. Hopefully any other clones are a bit more diversified, at least in their tilts, smashes and aerials, like Lucas and Wolf. Now that is how you do a 'clone'.

Ganondorf kind of makes sense as a clone, so that'll be okay.

yes, her, love her final smash, in my headcanon Chrom is my husabando

oh

Oh my, whoever modeled Snake's butt has a good eye.
It was all according to Kojima's vision. (This is a true story, I just learned this today actually.) He insisted that Snake have a perfect ass, way back from MGS2 onwards.

Captain Falcon's Wii U butt blows him out of the water now though. One butt to rule them all.

Jintor

updateessssss

Lucy in the sky with a badass falchion
BskbL7aCcAA2TMf.png

Robin reads a book
BskbRWNCUAEyH2-.png

Douglas J Falcon teaches you the art of manly handshaking at high velocity
BskbWq1CMAAMGtB.png

PK Gaming

The countdown to SmashGAF's complete destruction begins

updateessssss

Lucy in the sky with a badass falchion
BskbL7aCcAA2TMf.png

Robin reads a book
BskbRWNCUAEyH2-.png

Douglas J Falcon teaches you the art of manly handshaking at high velocity
BskbWq1CMAAMGtB.png

I know I constantly praise your artwork, but believe me when I say that this is far above and beyond your usual work. It's so damn enjoyable to just look at, it's like eye candy.

Lord Phol

I'm happy with this announcement, makes her feel more like her own character even though she's a clone. Makes her feel more legit as main-material. Wonder what differences they will have!

Well, after all the talk yesterday it seems I was rightfully pointed wrong and Lucina has her own slot on the roster. At least the way Sakurai adressed this today directly lets me to believe that was the most logical decision. Along with the confirmation of almost insignificant differences between her and Marth and them having the very same habilities, I still think it was a very legit thing to think at the time.

I personally think that it is, in fact, the most sensible thing to do. Clones have hurted this franchise for a long time now. I'm really happy that we're getting more gender variety in this game, it's something I wanted in the series for a while, but I prioritize relevancy in therms of gameplay content and I think Lucina does't have that, in my eyes it's Doctor Mario all over again.

Overall this could be bad news for the game, from my pointo of view at least. If Sakurai is willing to include this kind of spots to the roster I fear we'll be getting more like this both as newcommers and unchanged veterans.
There are a already a few genuine alts in the game so far. Of all characters that could have been clones of another, this pairing makes the most sense. It's hard to say that Lucina shouldn't share a lot of Marth's moves when she was disguised as him in her game.

If they pull another "Ganondorf x C. Falcon" situation, or even a Dr. Mario one, then it'll be time to get worried.

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="D";121093339]Lol well hey, gotta have something to stand out from the fellas. Hard hitting and aggressively explosive movements doesn't necessarily fit the mold of a petite Rapier-type wielding young lady.

If she were a Brawler type then it would be different.[/QUOTE]
Lucina's blade looks wider than Marth's.

Yeah i am actually excited for the differences between Lucina and Marth and I understand Toon Link with Wind Waker HD being around, and similarly don't really want more clones just new stuff

Still =P on DLC but i get where you're coming from

yeah more new stuff is always the best option :D

Astarte

It was all according to Kojima's vision. (This is a true story, I just learned this today actually.) He insisted that Snake have a perfect ass, way back from MGS2 onwards.

Captain Falcon's Wii U butt blows him out of the water now though. One butt to rule them all.

I knew that Kojima was a stickler for details, but picturing him shaping Snake's ass in the air with his hands to confused artists has me laughing pretty hard.

Perfect.

Is it mid August yet?

Wait, I just realized, does this mean we are gonna get fake scans in the same vein as fake Pokemon CoroCoro scans? Oh boy, next month is gonna be rough.

They have a fuck load of games coming out in the same time frame, they're doing an okay job spacing everything out.

I think they're doing a terrible job of it, personally. Hyrule Warriors should have gotten a worldwide release and then it wouldn't need breathing room away from Smash Bros. 3DS, which is going to crowd out even later-month games like Fantasy Life and Bayonetta 2 because Nintendo will be spending their entire month's advertising budget on Smash 3DS.

They positioned their most niche games almost equidistant from their bigger, more well known games which is never a strategy that works and they did it by delaying titles a few weeks to a month.

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member

Ooh, that stings. I personally think that Chrom is a greatly superior character to Lucina, but I can deal with her inclusion since it makes people happy, and I do get Robin, and heck, the entire rest of the roster. The way it went down in the reveal, though? "I guess I'll get my chance... Some other day..." That's just rubbing salt into the wound, man!

On another note, I never thought that the possibility of Shulk not being playable might ever fill me with a positive emotion, but I actually think it's a fair sacrifice for being able to get truly excited about reveals again. The Smash Hype Cycle is always better than the actual games, anyway!

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Lucina's blade looks wider than Marth's.

True but unless I'm getting my Lords and weapons mixed up, the Falchion in Fire Emblem games is "classified" as a rapier-type. Also the fact that neither her, Chrom and Marth wield it with two hands lends credence that it's a lighter weapon...unlike broadswords, zweihanders and etc.

Female animations a mystery. And it doesn't make sense for Lucina to share her moves with the ultra masculine Marth.

i think i just broke.....i dont understand whats sarcasm and whats legit anymore

[QUOTE="D";121094401]True but unless I'm getting my Lords and weapons mixed up, the Falchion in Fire Emblem games is "classified" as a rapier-type.[/QUOTE]
i think the falchion in awakening is more of a standard sword since the blade itself in awakening doesnt seem as thin as a rapiers at least imo

I knew that Kojima was a stickler for details, but picturing him shaping Snake's ass in the air with his hands to confused artists has me laughing pretty hard.
Kojima: "Firmer... yes. Tighter... yes. Rounder... yes, perfect. More taut... more taut-- I SAID MORE TAUT."

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Not necessarily. Many of the unlockable characters in Brawl were announced beforehand.
Out of Brawl's hidden characters, the only ones that were revealed prior to release were Snake and Sonic. So other than the third-party characters, I think all of the characters we know of are probably on the starting roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom