• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Loco4Coco

Man took a whole OT and we still didn't get Yoshi...

Oh well. Hello new OT. May we get R.O.B. or a similar robotic character reveal soon.

Metalsonic_heroes.png
Aww yeah...

"officially" late
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ character reveal or riot ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
lol we're not getting one

"Officially" as dictated by the SmashGaf Unspoken Majority Census =p

The funny thing about that GIF is that S2J essentially threw the match to look fancy.
Nothing wrong with that though, it's just an exhibition after all!

Kyzon

Uhh, I don't think any Link ever was a "grown-ass man", at least not in the 3D games which SSB Link is based off.

OoT/MM: YL is 10-12 yo at best, so adult is 17-19

Wind Waker and all of its sequels: Chiiild

Twilight Princess: Link seems to be in kind of an apprenticeship, hoarding the goats. Based off how the other villagers approach him and based on how his GF looks I'd say he's still a teenager.

Skyward Sword: May be the hardest to judge, but since he entered Knight School as a kid and yet still isn't a full-fledged Knight of the Sky when you start the game he really can't be that old. I'd guess he is 18-19 here.

A Link between Worlds: Apprentice of the blacksmith. Chiiiiild Abuuuuse (artstyle is evil, still definitely not a grown ass man)

I wasn't exactly serious about that. He does have an adult body though with serious babyface syndrome in Smash 4 though

I still want to believe that Zelda's getting a stand and we can have Rosa Rosestar vs. Zel-Dio matches in SSB4, but it's looking like that's an AT even more with all of the item inclusions from the Zelda series being shown off.

I need that ;_;

Hmm..for some reason he looks like Hank Hill to me.

Dishing out Falcon Punches and Falcon Punch Accessories.

The funny thing about that GIF is that S2J essentially threw the match to look fancy.
Nothing wrong with that though, it's just an exhibition after all!
As I understand it, the Captain Falcon Round Robins were explicitly supposed to be for looking as cool as possible. Captain Falcon doesn't simply edgehog people, he has to get KOs in style! And then he got KOd in style, which was a decent substitute.

zlCfzRrYJaok0_S-jY

Pic of the day. Here's a comparison of characters with and without their outlines on the 3DS version. They also give off a different impression in 3D, so customize the look however you like.

Kyzon

As I understand it, the Captain Falcon Round Robins were explicitly supposed to be for looking as cool as possible. Captain Falcon doesn't simply edgehog people, he has to get KOs in style! And then he got KOd in style, which was a decent substitute.

Yup this.
You gotta look good when playing as the man all men aspire to be

Edit: Wat? Outlines again?

rekameohs

Banned
zlCfzRrYJaok0_S-jY

Pic of the day. Here's a comparison of characters with and without their outlines on the 3DS version. They also give off a different impression in 3D, so customize the look however you like.

Outlines looks much better, imo. 3DS version still looking sooooo good.

"Pic of the day! Here's an example of how the outlines we've added to the characters helps them stand out on the battlefield. Link would blend right in otherwise!"

Maybe something like that.

Are we supposed to stare at the pic and cross our eyes to get a feel for the 3D? I'm confused =S

Nvm, outlines are the topic tonight!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
The update we all asked for. Split screen on the 3DS.

I can see why they decided to add outlines. Link in particular doesn't stand out very well without them.

Also, the 3DS version continues to look very nice. If those sorts of graphics can hold up a steady 30+fps... Pokemon XY truly has no excuses.

KHlover

Banned
zlCfzRrYJaok0_S-jY

Did we definitely know the game has 3D before? Confirmation of 3D might be the real news here.

rekameohs

Banned
I can see why they decided to add outlines. Link in particular doesn't stand out very well without them.

Also, the 3DS version continues to look very nice. If those sorts of graphics can hold up a steady 30+fps... Pokemon XY truly has no excuses.

I don't see how they would deem anything under 60 fps to be acceptable in Smash, but we'll see.

Muzy72

Banned

Looks like we have official confirmation of stereoscopic 3D.

ant1532

Banned
if they're playing with graphic options, maybe theres a small chance of wii u having that cell shaded look in the little mac video? :eek:

probably not

I don't see how they would deem anything under 60 fps to be acceptable in Smash, but we'll see.
I would honestly be shocked if they manage to get the 3DS version running with those graphics at a steady 60fps. Shocked and very pleased, mind you, but still shocked.

Makes me wonder how much extra stuff like items they will be able to get away with on the 3DS without killing the frame rate something fierce.

It's in 3D?
Items confirmed to be sprites, then.
Haha, sounds about right.

SuperSah

Banned
zlCfzRrYJaok0_S-jY

First multiplayer look too!

They look great without outlines, looks real smooth. I'll be sure to keep them on.

Happy OT6!

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Early bird gets the pic of the day.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I seem to remember someone pointing out that the Mario model from the Palutena leak screenie had a few small differences from the 3DS Mario we'd previously seen (few small proportion and texture things iirc?) , and it was thought the differences could have been recent polish as part of the game's development.

Well.. I think this might be the first time we've seen 3DS Mario post-Palutena leak? Would be interesting to see someone make a new comparison. Note: I could be remembering all of this incorrectly and may also be insane

This pic is in 3D right? I'm crossing my eyes and it looks like that's the case.

I crossed my eyes too, and although it's a crude representation, I'm still really pleased with how the 3DS version is turning out

All I need is a release date and then the true hype begins... Why must you hold out on that, sweet Samurai? ;_;

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Walking the outline to Battlefield.

Hatchtag

Banned
I kind of think we'll get the following customization options in the 3DS version:
Outlines
Colored outlines for teams/players
Tags (like 1P and 2P in the screenshots)
HUD Placement (Top or Bottom screen)
And of course 2D/3D via the 3D slider.

Top Bottom