• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Revven

I dont remember fox ever being cocky?

Smash 64/Melee design makes him look and act that way. Obviously he's not in the actual games. Smash takes a lot of liberties for some characters and I think Fox's design in 64/Melee worked best to match what they were going for with the character. The current design is a totally different direction, it's why I and many others don't like it. The design goes with the personality they were portraying.

So when I say I want Smash 64/Melee design, it also means I want that personality/behavior back -- not the cutesy and non-serious Fox. Just look at much of his facial expressions in Brawl and Smash 4 -- they evoke something else entirely.

Toxi

Banned
Smash 64 art is that fine line between "I'm trippin' BALLS son" and amazing. I kinda wish if they had gone with the idea of visualized onomatopoeia that they used in some of the box art in game though. I blame my love of things like most Gainax anime and Jojo's for that though. :p

Brawl Fox isn't so bad, but Smash 4's tweaks to the design and color scheme make it muuuuuuuch better.
I like the deformed comic book style.
Samus_SSB.png

donkey_kong.gif

Every Smash game has a different style.

I think this game is pretty clearly going for a cartoon look and it can better express its artstyle than 64 could its comic-book style.

Am I blind? I absolutely don't see a difference worth arguing over, could someone who is passionate about the argument make a comprehensive comparison image at least? I am seriously confused at everyone arguing over this, I don't see a big difference at all.

Toxi

Banned
Am I blind? I absolutely don't see a difference worth arguing over, could someone who is passionate about the argument make a comprehensive comparison image at least? I am seriously confused at everyone arguing over this, I don't see a big difference at all.
Fox.jpg

Not very passionate about the argument though.

Azure J

Every Smash game has a different style.

I think this game is pretty clearly going for a cartoon look and it can better express its artstyle than 64 could its comic-book style.

I honestly think Smash 4 is the best looking Smash because of how much it skews into full out cartoon animations and the color choices.

Revven

It's basically Fox's head: Command/Smash 4 design is triangular shaped while Starfox 64/Melee is a more normal shaped/rounded head with a longer muzzle and less cartoony/big eyes. One design is portraying Fox as non-serious and not uber confident (Brawl/Smash 4). While the other design portrays Fox as serious and uber confident (Smash 64/Melee).

Here's a decent comparison shot (between Melee and Brawl Fox, which is using the same design Smash 4 is using):

Fox.jpg

The head and face is what's the main distinction in design and why I dislike it a lot. The current design simply cannot express the same emotions that I would want and they're clearly not going in that direction with this Fox. They want him to be more of a cartoon animal than a serious space animal that they portrayed him as in Melee.

The voice they use for this Fox also doesn't help lol. But again it's how they're portraying Fox vs what they used to do in Smash 64/Melee with the character. And maybe they considered that portrayal to be completely off compared to the games, I don't know. I just know that I liked the earlier design/personality vs the current one -- the current one clearly being inferior in every way.

I honestly think Smash 4 is the best looking Smash because of how much it skews into full out cartoon animations and the color choices.

I agree; the art-style makes everything and every character look like they exist in the same universe without being jarring. I was okay with Melee's darker overall vibe because nothing seemed to extremely disturbing, but I prefer this. Everything was better than Brawl's nightmarish SSE stuff

I'd say that a Fox based on his SF64 3D render would be much better than what currently exists. that would look better, yet would still fit SSB4's overall style. It doesn't have to look as "realistic" as Melee's fox.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smash 64 art is that fine line between "I'm trippin' BALLS son" and amazing. I kinda wish if they had gone with the idea of visualized onomatopoeia that they used in some of the box art in game though. I blame my love of things like most Gainax anime and Jojo's for that though. :p
I'm trying to think of GAINAX anime that use "visualised onomatopeia" and the only one that comes to mind is Panty & Stocking. It feels weird to me that you'd relate that with GAINAX.

Azure J

I'm trying to think of GAINAX anime that use "visualised onomatopeia" and the only one that comes to mind is Panty & Stocking. It feels weird to me that you's relate that with GAINAX.

Yeah actually as I finished posting that, I thought to myself "wasn't P&S the only series they did like that?" only to not fix it.

Laziness is a bitch.

fqFzYWp.png

His nose got smaller, his muzzle crunched together into what looks now more like an allergic reaction to a bee sting, while his skull got taller.

Ryce

This has nothing to do with the current discussion, but the (supposed) Gematsu leak has really made me appreciate Sakurai's (supposed) character selections. The roster really does represent all facets of Nintendo history. The people who bemoan characters like Mii, Wii Fit Trainer, and Chorus Men act like Nintendo died off in 2004 or something. Nintendo's identity for the last decade has been rooted in casual gaming, and so Smash Bros. deserves to have a couple of casual characters.

The only new "major" franchises (EAD/SPD, at least one sequel, and sold at retail) introduced during the GCN/GBA era were Pikmin and WarioWare, and both received a character in Brawl. I decided to take a look at the new series created during the Wii/DS era, and they are as follows:

Daigasso! Band Brothers
Nintendogs
Brain Age
Big Brain Academy
Rhythm Heaven
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Tomodachi Collection

Wii Fit is accounted for, Nintendog is an Assist Trophy, and the Gematsu leak takes care of Rhythm Heaven and a bunch of other games via Mii. That leaves us with Band Brothers and Brain Age -- Barbara was an AT in Brawl, and Dr. Kawashima wouldn't really work as a playable character for a variety of reasons.

As a semi-related aside, the only series without playable characters in Smash Bros. to have StreetPass hats are Rhythm Heaven (not yet), Brain Age, and Band Brothers.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Village

At the end of it all, I think we can all agree on one thing: Fox needs a re-design PERIOD. They all have certain things wrong with them, even the Melee design.

I think foxes entire franchise needs a redesign. But that would require nintendo to actually rethink and care bout franchises that aren't a certain set. So it wont happen.

Eh, I like fox's new design the best from a pure design perspective. He looks all around less awkward and weird. I'm not seeing the super cutesy vibe y'all are talking about, he still comes off as relatively serious to me.

At the end of it all, I think we can all agree on one thing: Fox needs a re-design PERIOD. They all have certain things wrong with them, even the Melee design.

Yeah. The Melee and 64 3D models are just the closest to foxes in terms of the facial structure, which is my entire point. :p
All of them look cartoony and stylized, and of course the markings/colors are nothing like actual fox colors, but I'd rather take a head that looks more like a fox and less than a pumpkin.

Also, full gloves > fingerless. The fur texture on the fingers in Brawl/Smash4 make Fox's digits look like they're wiggly turds.

ffdgh

Yeah. The Melee and 64 3D models are just the closest to foxes in terms of the facial structure, which is my entire point. :p
All of them look cartoony and stylized, and of course the markings/colors are nothing like actual fox colors, but I'd rather take a head that looks more like a fox and less than a pumpkin.

Also, full gloves > fingerless. The fur texture on the fingers in Brawl/Smash4 make Fox's digits look like they're wiggly turds.

Looks like we need star fox returns with retro fur.

Hmm, I never cared for how the Star Fox characters looked in Melee and I'm not that crazy about SSB4's primary color direction.

Clearly I'm in the minority.

This has nothing to do with the current discussion, but the (supposed) Gematsu leak has really made me appreciate Sakurai's (supposed) character selections. The roster really does represent all facets of Nintendo history. The people who bemoan characters like Mii, Wii Fit Trainer, and Chorus Men act like Nintendo died off in 2004 or something. Nintendo's identity for the last decade has been rooted in casual gaming, and so Smash Bros. deserves to have a couple of casual characters.

The only new "major" franchises (EAD/SPD, at least one sequel, and sold at retail) introduced during the GCN/GBA era were Pikmin and WarioWare, and both received a character in Brawl. I decided to take a look at the new series created during the Wii/DS era, and they are as follows:

Daigasso! Band Brothers
Nintendogs
Brain Age
Big Brain Academy
Rhythm Heaven
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Tomodachi Collection

Wii Fit is accounted for, Nintendog is an Assist Trophy, and the Gematsu leak takes care of Rhythm Heaven and a bunch of other games via Mii. That leaves us with Band Brothers and Brain Age -- Barbara was an AT in Brawl, and Dr. Kawashima wouldn't really work as a playable character for a variety of reasons.

As a semi-related aside, the only series without playable characters in Smash Bros. to have StreetPass hats are Rhythm Heaven (not yet), Brain Age, and Band Brothers.

Rhythm heaven's first game was on gba, it just stayed japan-only.

Neoxon

It's basically Fox's head: Command/Smash 4 design is triangular shaped while Starfox 64/Melee is a more normal shaped/rounded head with a longer muzzle and less cartoony/big eyes. One design is portraying Fox as non-serious and not uber confident (Brawl/Smash 4). While the other design portrays Fox as serious and uber confident (Smash 64/Melee).

Here's a decent comparison shot (between Melee and Brawl Fox, which is using the same design Smash 4 is using):

Fox.jpg

The head and face is what's the main distinction in design and why I dislike it a lot. The current design simply cannot express the same emotions that I would want and they're clearly not going in that direction with this Fox. They want him to be more of a cartoon animal than a serious space animal that they portrayed him as in Melee.

The voice they use for this Fox also doesn't help lol. But again it's how they're portraying Fox vs what they used to do in Smash 64/Melee with the character. And maybe they considered that portrayal to be completely off compared to the games, I don't know. I just know that I liked the earlier design/personality vs the current one -- the current one clearly being inferior in every way.
Engrish Fox never sat well with me, anyway, but I could tolerate it. Falco is another story.

Ryce

Rhythm heaven's first game was on gba, it just stayed japan-only.
I know, but it was released almost two years after the DS had already been out. I could've probably used a more accurate term than "Wii/DS era," but the relevant point is that it's too recent to have been considered for Brawl, where the roster cutoff was July 2005.

I know, but it was released almost two years after the DS had already been out. I could've probably used a more accurate term than "Wii/DS era," but the relevant point is that it's too recent to have been considered for Brawl, where the roster cutoff was July 2005.

woah. I didn't realize it came out that late.

Terrell

I think foxes entire franchise needs a redesign. But that would require nintendo to actually rethink and care bout franchises that aren't a certain set. So it wont happen.

Jeez, and some people think I'm the biggest pessimist around these parts.

Top Bottom