• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

I do think it's a shame that Fox's Command design was the template for his most recent Smash designs.

It's a shame that anything from Command has been remembered and reused at all.

well, what do you like?

Regarding Fox, I prefer the Brawl design. The super serious design he had in Melee was really jarring to me; that, and I never cared for his and Falco's JP VAs.

I would've preferred it if the kept the realistic approach they were building up since Melee/Brawl, except maybe add some color (such as maybe Bowser's skin and Peach/Toon Link's hair). For example, I always thought it was really cool how detailed the Mario characters were in comparison to their source games and now they're just homogenized with those (what happened to their overalls?). IMO it still looks great but I find the primary colors too plain and I don't care for how it "pops" :/.

Greenzxy

fqFzYWp.png

His nose got smaller, his muzzle crunched together into what looks now more like an allergic reaction to a bee sting, while his skull got taller.
Adventure, Melee, and 64 are definitely what I picture when I remember fox, the rest are kind of meh. I like how he was interpreted in assault though.
Also people saying this game has a more cohere hasn't style than brawl. Na I don't think so, it's probably just the hype and the HD graphics. People say that brawl had a nitty gritty style, I thought of it more as fantasy. Brawl's battlefield was kind if the direction they wanted to take with brawl which I thought was beautiful.

botty

Banned
Regarding Fox, I prefer the Brawl design. The super serious design he had in Melee was really jarring to me; that, and I never cared for his and Falco's JP VAs.

I would've preferred it if the kept the realistic approach they were building up since Melee/Brawl, except maybe add some color (such as maybe Bowser's skin and Peach/Toon Link's hair). For example, I always thought it was really cool how detailed the Mario characters were in comparison to their source games and now they're just homogenized with those (what happened to their overalls?). IMO it still looks great but I find the primary colors too plain and I don't care for how it "pops" :/.

I agree. I also liked how the characters were given detailed/realistic looks compared to the original designs. It made them stand out a lot more and also, in my opinion at least, made the characters stand out from each other more.

Greenzxy

I agree. I also liked how the characters were given detailed/realistic looks compared to the original designs. It made them stand out a lot more and also, in my opinion at least, made the characters stand out from each other more.
Yea I Agee with this. It was interesting how brawl and melee took it to the purest source and interpreted how the characters looked in a realistic sense. The thing that irks me with smash 4 is that they stunted that direction and now they want to borrow how the characters look from their recent material which kind of bothers me. And with the HD graphics I thought they go with a more believable weighted style to the characters. It's like they gone a bit backwards and not using the best of their ability. Glad I'm not the minority on this.

Thank you to those that provided the comparisons, now Fox does look wrong to me in SSB4. Oh well, they should change it but it's better than him not existing in the game at all. Nintendo not giving Fox the right face is the least of his problems.

I saw someone once had the awesome idea of making a comical space shooter Star Fox game that used the muppet designs, maybe released on the eShop. That would be so cool, and the humor wouldn't be out of place. Some of the most memorable moments of 64 were the awkwardly delivered dialog, now they could be hamming it up with muppets too.

Star Fox is an inherently silly series, the dark tone in Assault and soap opera plot to Command were definitely the wrong direction to go.

Village

I saw someone once had the awesome idea of making a comical space shooter Star Fox game that used the muppet designs, maybe released on the eShop. That would be so cool, and the humor wouldn't be out of place. Some of the most memorable moments of 64 were the awkwardly delivered dialog, now they could be hamming it up with muppets too.

Star Fox is an inherently silly series, the dark tone in Assault and soap opera plot to Command were definitely the wrong direction to go.

I think the

" aminals so must be silly" thought process is original and kinda bland. I'm not saying the series should be come final fantasy, but going the route you are saying would make me stop playing. That is some patrionizing shit

That the kind of things that make small children go, " thats for babies "

I think the

" aminals so must be silly" thought process is original and kinda bland. I'm not saying the series should be come final fantasy, but going the route you are saying would make me stop playing. That is some patrionizing shit

That the kind of things that make small children go, " thats for babies "
But that was in the games too. The secret level in Star Fox SNES, every single line in SF64, etc. That's always been Star Fox's strength.

Gsnap

This would be great if they used actual puppets and whenever your allies spoke to you, you could see their face on your "control panel" on the Gamepad's screen.

Then when slippy dies you'd hear him say "AAAAAAAAAHHH", and he'd do something like this.

kermit-the-frog-flail.gif

But as far as being on topic. I like all of foxes designs in their own way, I guess. My least favorites would definitely be adventures and assault, though. Eh, mainly Assault.

Neiteio

Puppets in Star Fox would be really cool for the cutscenes and codec calls, but they shouldn't make them silly. Part of the appeal of Star Fox is taking the concept of talking animals and playing it straight. The series has always had the feel of a space opera -- epic and melodramatic. They should aim for the same tone in the SNES promo materials. :)

And with that, time to start making orange pineapple punch for my Easter's Eve bash. In keeping with the spirit of the holiday, my friends and I will watch Pacific Rim 3D... because nothing says Easter like giant robots punching aliens. Happy holidays, everybody, and bring on spring!

Village

But that was in the games too. The secret level in Star Fox SNES, every single line in SF64, etc. That's always been Star Fox's strength.

Star foxes strength for me, was good gameplay and not treating me like a child. I never really found the star fox games to funny. Even 64 was just about a dude trying to follow in his dads foot steps.

I would rather they stay the course or go more action-ey. I am not saying the games can't be funny. I 'm just think what you describe is so unappealing I don't even think the target audience would give a crap.

I'd love to see Sakurai tackle Star Fox. It's not too far removed from Kid Icarus: Uprising, really.

To be honest I don't want space shooter star fox.

Despite those games being bad, on land merc star fox is far more interesting.

Also someone made the good version of that type of game already.

So

1283260748545.gif
13392115861019.gif

Do that, but with animals and multiplayer.

Free money.

Jagsrock

Banned
There is really nothing wrong with fox's brawl/smash 4 look other than the boots.
But personally I like his Adventures design the best.

Azure J

You guys should really be watching this Fight Pitt IV stream. I just saw Onett used as a stage and remembered instantly why it's my favorite stage in Melee. You gotta play with Hey Arnold rules:

"CAAAAR!"

*everyone gets out of the street*

Axass

Oh, and FWIW regarding Ganondorf, I would by far prefer more of the dark sorceror aspects to be played up over him becoming a swordsman.

Absolutely, we have a metric fuckton of swordsmen already, the "evil warlock" part of Ganondorf is the best Ganondorf. You could do so much with a heavy magician character.

I think Command was an alright game that no one ever asked for.

Perfect description of the game, it's not a bad per se. It's just that StarFox didn't really need to go that way.

fqFzYWp.png

His nose got smaller, his muzzle crunched together into what looks now more like an allergic reaction to a bee sting, while his skull got taller.

SF64 to Adventures are the best Fox, Assault and SSB4 suck, Brawl is ugly as sin, Command is a crime against humanity.

When it comes to Smash designs Fox is one of the very few alongside Link where my favourites are their blocky SSB64 versions, embrace the angular goodness.

SF64's dialogue and story was presented so earnestly. That's what made it great. If it was over-the-top silly, it would lose its charm.

The soap opera story was all that compelled me to get the different ending in command too, though that's not saying much.

The most fun part of that series for me was Assault's multiplayer. Just amazing, and deserving of a new iteration however that's possible.

Command is basically Star Fox 2 with touchscreen controls. A lot of people asked for Star Fox 2. I'm pretty sure it was just because it's an unreleased game and not because it was actually good, but hey.

Were there no on-rails fights in Star Fox 2?

L Thammy

Were there no on-rails fights in Star Fox 2?

I think there were scenes where you shoot down missiles. I'm forgetting if Command took that out. Aside from that, no, it's all-range mode all the time. It's got something like Command's map screen stuff, too.

Also the Arwing grows legs and walks around.

Gsnap

Now I'm just sad that puppet star fox is never going to happen. Thanks for nothing, poster who put all these great ideas in my head.

On the subject of fox. I can't wait to see what they do with falco in this game. I hated the fact that he was a clone in melee, but I loved playing as him and hated the changes they made to him in brawl. I hope they continue to refine him.

falco is like 100x uglier than fox in the smash games. i hope sakurai fixes falco if he returns.

i think starfox 64 design was the peak. it was simple, yet effective.

Toxi

Banned
Well, it was faithful to the original pre-cartoon design of Pikachu.
No, that was SSB64 Pikachu, who was adorably chubby.

Melee Pikachu was that weird in-between stage when the anime beegan changing his design. Not quite fatchu, not quite thinchu, just uglychu.

jnWake

Star Fox 64's tone always felt like an old action movie, somewhat serious with a bit of sillyness and corny lines. If they ever make a new one I'd hope they do something similarto that, with the awesome gameplay of SF64 too.

This would be great if they used actual puppets and whenever your allies spoke to you, you could see their face on your "control panel" on the Gamepad's screen.

Then when slippy dies you'd hear him say "AAAAAAAAAHHH", and he'd do something like this.

kermit-the-frog-flail.gif

But as far as being on topic. I like all of foxes designs in their own way, I guess. My least favorites would definitely be adventures and assault, though. Eh, mainly Assault.
Exactly haha, I'd buy that day one.

Azure J

Absolutely, we have a metric fuckton of swordsmen already, the "evil warlock" part of Ganondorf is the best Ganondorf. You could do so much with a heavy magician character.

Disagree on the bolded, but agreed on warlock Ganondorf being best dorf.

Smash has had:

Fencing: Marth/Roy
Heavy Swordsman: Ike
Knights: Link/Toon Link
Knives but actually a bow thing: Pit
Hyper cartoony whirlwind of cuts: Metaknight

And that's it for both the styles and bladed weapons represented in four games over a 15 year run. It's time for people to stop saying Smash has too many sword people, especially when I still don't have any draw/sheathe types, magic swordsmen/red mages, or rogues/thieves whatsoever.

Axass

Star foxes strength for me, was good gameplay and not treating me like a child. I never really found the star fox games to funny. Even 64 was just about a dude trying to follow in his dads foot steps.

You have a small dark heart, haven't you?

No, that was SSB64 Pikachu, who was adorably chubby.

Melee Pikachu was that weird in-between stage when the anime beegan changing his design. Not quite fatchu, not quite thinchu, just uglychu.

Hmmm... I was sure you said 64, sorry got confused. I'd say the problem with Melee is that he seems very disproportionate, his head is just too big. SSB4 Pikachu is best Pikachu though.

Terrell

I think Command was an alright game that no one ever asked for.

Plenty of people were asking for a new Star Fox game. The problem was that fans really needed to be more specific.

I would rather they stay the course or go more action-ey. I am not saying the games can't be funny. I 'm just think what you describe is so unappealing I don't even think the target audience would give a crap.

To be honest I don't want space shooter star fox.

Despite those games being bad, on land merc star fox is far more interesting.

Also someone made the good version of that type of game already.

So

1283260748545.gif
13392115861019.gif

Do that, but with animals and multiplayer.

Free money.

The dialog in Star Fox 64 wasn't inherently bad, it was just that the acting was terrible. But the dialog itself reminded me of pre-90s sci-fi.

And I agree, being JUST a rail shooter isn't enough for the series anymore, but the idea of it being a furry space opera that still has some fun moments (or basically Star Wars without the jedi stuff) could work really well for it.

But the games that Fox comes from and discussion of them is a bit OT, so I'll leave it at that.

Top Bottom