• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Neoxon

Realistically speaking, if all of the leaked characters are in fact happening, how many additional newcomers could be unaccounted for in everyone's opinion?
If that 48-with-4-cuts-from-Brawl rumor is legit, one, & I think that would be Mewtwo, who's a veteran.

If that rumor is fake, who knows. Probably still around 1-3. Though honestly, I think the leaked newcomers are it for new characters.

I'm expecting 12-15 new comers and so far we have 6 so I'm expecting another 6-9 newcomers. If the leaker is 100% then we have at most 3 more newcomers we don't know about

jnWake

The leaker didn't get Rosalina so I wouldn't be surprised if there's 1 or 2 newcomers that haven't been leaked yet.

All of this assumes all the leaks are correct of course.

Toxi

Banned
Borp is the hero that Smash deserves. As for the question I asked, I kinda feel like 1 more is the minimum but the "best case" would be 3 or 4 more.
Edge-guard with needles was amazing.

Amazing how far raw skill can get you even without techs.

Edit: Knocked out, but he put up one hell of a fight.

Yagami_Sama

My only concern with the 3DS version, is that if they intend to do the same game for both platform, is that they may cut some resources, contents for the
Wii U version, in order to let the 3DS version able to handle things.
If the 3DS version was a spin off, focused in a adventure / Action game, for me it would be a better idea, so far I have 0.5 % interested in the 3DS version, while I
totally hyped for the Wii U version.

Azure J

Edge-guard with needles was amazing.

Amazing how far raw skill can get you even without techs.

Edit: Knocked out, but he put up one hell of a fight.

I mean this isn't some shining example of why you should neglect technical skill but damn those matches were fucking fascinating. I went into over hype when he got the multiple grab sequence on Battlefield and in the previous match with the counter read wake up roll.

Gsnap

My only concern with the 3DS version, is that if they intend to do the same game for both platform, is that they may cut some resources, contents for the
If the 3DS version was a spin off, focused in a adventure / Action game, for me it would be a better idea, so far I have 0.5 % interested in the 3DS version, while I

One of the only things that will really be the same between versions is the characters.

Wii U version doesn't seem gimped because the 3DS can't handle certain things.

Neoxon

I think that's part of the reason why they got rid of mid-match transformations. In Brawl, it had to load Zelda & Shiek separately mid-match, which I believe took a bit of a hit on the RAM.

And even then, only the roster will be the same. The last PotD hinted at some Assist Trophies not being on the 3DS version, & of course both versions have different stages & the 3DS version has fewer musical pieces than the Wii U version.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
And making that assumption is the first mistake people can make.

Please. I'm saying that if you believe on the leaks, then when thing ever happens differently then we would be surprised by this.

One of the only things that will really be the same between versions is the characters.

Wii U version doesn't seem gimped because the 3DS can't handle certain things.

Yeah, That's what Sakurai said recently Friday. Sorta.

Toxi

Banned
I mean this isn't some shining example of why you should neglect technical skill but damn those matches were fucking fascinating. I went into over hype when he got the multiple grab sequence on Battlefield and in the previous match with the counter read wake up roll.
Yep. It makes you wonder how amazing he would be after he adds ATs to his repertoire.

Also, that double KO trade between Juggleguy and Wenbo was hype.

Yagami_Sama

I think that's part of the reason why they got rid of mid-match transformations. In Brawl, it had to load Zelda & Shiek separately mid-match, which I believe took a bit of a hit on the RAM.

And even then, only the roster will be the same. The last PotD hinted at some Assist Trophies not being on the 3DS version, & of course both versions have different stages & the 3DS version has fewer musical pieces than the Wii U version.

The fact that they separated the transformation for some characters and the changes done in Olimar, made me think that way. And based on that, I think that
maybe Ice Climbers may be cut. Maybe it could be too much for the 3DS handle.
I really hope that in the end the Wii U version shall be at least at the same level of Melee, Brawl made me feel, that something was missing there.

GAMERG0D

Does anyone else find it odd that we haven't seen any alt costumes for many characters? Are we never going to be able to have more than 1 character selected by multiple people? Remember the E3 video where Sakurai played a game and it said "Winner Mega Man"? Somehow I feel that might happen...

Does anyone else find it odd that we haven't seen any alt costumes for many characters? Are we never going to be able to have more than 1 character selected by multiple people? Remember the E3 video where Sakurai played a game and it said "Winner Mega Man"? Somehow I feel that might happen...
...No.

Anyone misses seing 3D models on the character select screen?
IPI3Rhe.jpg

Revven

...? Are you talking about palette swaps? Pre-release Brawl never showed palette swaps for any character in any media. I also highly doubt Sakurai would disable you from being able to pick the same character as your opponent, that's literally unheard of for any modern fighting game.

...? Are you talking about palette swaps? Pre-release Brawl never showed palette swaps for any character in any media. I also highly doubt Sakurai would disable you from being able to pick the same character as your opponent, that's literally unheard of for any modern fighting game.

I'm pretty sure there was a Dojo update about alt colors and another dedicated to Overalls Wario. Still, there's really no need to have a palette swaps PotD.

Gsnap

The fact that they separated the transformation for some characters and the changes done in Olimar, made me think that way. And based on that, I think that
maybe Ice Climbers may be cut. Maybe it could be too much for the 3DS handle.
I really hope that in the end the Wii U version shall be at least at the same level of Melee, Brawl made me feel, that something was missing there.

But then how did Rosalin and Luma make it in? They way they work together seems even more complicated than how Ice climbers work.

Again, nothing about the games suggest that either version is being held back.

(and having the characters separated is better for the game anyway)

Neoxon

The fact that they separated the transformation for some characters and the changes done in Olimar, made me think that way. And based on that, I think that maybe Ice Climbers may be cut. Maybe it could be too much for the 3DS handle.
Considering that they have Rosalina & Luma working just fine on the 3DS, I wouldn't worry too much about the Ice Climbers.

Gsnap

Haha. I love a good Donk. He's one of my favorite's in brawl. Can't wait to try him out in Smash4

EDIT: This YL's bombs are ridiculous.

I've been thinking about the Gematsu leaker's info, specifically about the chorus men inclusion. I can't help but naturally feel a loss towards the leaker's credibility over this so I'll be really surprised if it turns out to be true! That being said, I think if the chorus men do show up, they could be the most interesting newcomer this time around.

I can see their moveset occuring in two manners, both of which would be pretty exciting:

One prediction is that their moveset will be a combination of instruments, dancing, and singing. Now, I'm not too certain how representative this would be of Rhythm Heaven, but in a game series where F-Zero's mascot's moveset is centered around a glorious punch and a knee, I don't think representation is a limit to a moveset, just more of a possible enhancer. So as for the instruments, I'm picturing "unintentional" attacks through using instruments. That would look like sliding a trombone as a side-smash or letting the sound waves off a congo drum (like DK's FS in Brawl) deal damage as a down-smash. If you want to get silly, let the dash attack be the chorus men sliding on their knees with electric guitars like old rockers did. The special thing about instrument usage is that there would of course be notes coming off the instruments when played. Whether the notes are pre-made and simply played off randomly or the notes concur with the song playing in the game, I don't know.
The singing and dancing would be similar in vein. Charge up B and let go to have the chorus men belt out and stun opponents in front of them. A charged up smash would have them clap their hands in a quick rhythm, etc.
That's pretty plain though for what would be possible with these guys, I'd say.

Some people (here too, I think) have suggested that all of their moves would have to be timed out according to the song playing in the background. While the logic as to why it should be so is there, I think that'd be a terrible idea in practice. Having a character's moveset entirely rely on an element outside of the player's control will rapidly lead to frustration over chorus men. So I think I have somewhat of a compromise between the two ideas above, mine and the general.

This idea would involve the moveset being free to utilize at any moment so as to not restrict the player, but the potential combos are dependent on timing. This would be very hard to plan out since the potential combos and rhythms would be mindboggling, but the gyst of it is that choir men's regular A combo would be more effective when tapped out to "ta-ta-teetee-ta" rather than "ta-ta-ta-ta-ta". So for the moves I mentioned above, a combo could be charging up a song, drumming while the opponent is stunned, then launching them away with a quick trombone, all done in a manner that sounds musically natural. Seems like it would fit the Rhythm idea more, but like I said, that would be a nightmare to program -_-

TL;DR: Chorus men won't attack in tune to the song playing, that's the dumb. They'll have a moveset that's musically based so that they can smash your favourite fighter with a trombone

Chorus Men won't use instruments, that makes no sense. They'll probably have rhythm based attacks (like the Arkham games) while calling in other supporting RH characters.

Chorus Men won't use instruments, that makes no sense. They'll probably have rhythm based attacks (like the Arkham games) while calling in other supporting RH characters.

Chorus men would be a pretty blank slate in terms of potential movesets, I'm not sure why instruments wouldn't make sense. What would "rhythm-based attacks" look like in practice?

Gsnap

Chorus men requiring "timing" would be stupid. It would make them too difficult for people to get good with/too easy to predict once people do get used to them.

But they won't be in the game anyway, sooooo........

Chorus men would be a pretty blank slate in terms of potential movesets, I'm not sure why instruments wouldn't make sense. What would "rhythm-based attacks" look like in practice?
They don't use instruments in rhythm heaven, there aren't many instruments in rhythm heaven in general. Rhythm-based attacks would work by the timing of your button presses. I'm expecting normal moves to be singing, while special moves incorporate other Rhythm Heaven characters (monkeys, Wrestler, karate man)

Ryce

Chorus men would be a pretty blank slate in terms of potential movesets, I'm not sure why instruments wouldn't make sense.
They're a choir, not an orchestra. That would be like giving a baseball character football and basketball attacks. Rhythm Heaven is more a rhythm/timing game than a music game, if that makes any sense. A move set full of various instruments is better suited for a Band Brothers or Wii Music character.

Top Bottom