• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ec0ec0

Dammit Ken you had that game ;_;

and just after that match we had m2k with those crazy edgeguards (when using marth)

edgeguards ken, you are using marth. He wouldnt miss those if he practiced, i guess.

I am not a tournament player or anything like that, but those non edgeguards...

Very nice video from Maximilian.

Actually, I'd like to see the impressions of someone who either has never played Melee or who has been playing Brawl (or 64) pretty much exclusively for a while. Nearly everyone is talking about how Smash 4 feels in relation to Melee: faster than Brawl but still slower than Melee, fewer mobility options than Melee, etc. I want to hear from someone whose impressions aren't colored by Melee, just for a fresh perspective.

Anura

I honestly knew 100% it was going to be like brawl as soon as the match with ken started... The way he was playing was undisputedly heavily influenced by brawl marth style. Heavy on Fair/Tilt spacing and very defensive with shielding and grabbing out if shield. There is no way in hell such a prominent melee player would play like that if he felt he didn't have to

That really got me bummed out about smash 4... But now I have hope again as it seems all this has been getting ALOT of negative feedback and might prompt a change to a more offensive styling! Seems like they're listening too... I really hope it isn't too late to change everything though

Cse

Banned
That really got me bummed out about smash 4... But now I have hope again as it seems all this has been getting ALOT of negative feedback and might prompt a change to more offensive styling! Seems like they're listening too... I really hope it isn't too late to change everything though

It's not too late to change these issues from a developmental or engineering standpoint.

The problem, however, is that many people feel these mechanics have been intentionally implemented to foster a certain style of gameplay and to "protect" newer or more casual players.

Jintor

It's not too late to change these issues from a developmental or engineering standpoint.

The problem, however, is that many people feel these mechanics have been intentionally implemented to foster a certain style of gameplay and to "protect" newer or more casual players.

Yep. It's Sakurai's outlook on the game that seems most concerning right now.

Well, what we can determine of it anyway. Who knows what that guy is thinking

Anura

Oh yes I understand that. I think the negative opinion might change that though... Maximilian's "I don't want to press buttons because I'm afraid if being hurt" was a very good way to put it and something that was very prevalent even in brawl.

Edit for off topic venting: my phone always changes "of" to "if" in its auto correct and it's so frustrating... I will leave the example above just it illustrate this

Tan

I honestly knew 100% it was going to be like brawl as soon as the match with ken started... The way he was playing was undisputedly heavily influenced by brawl marth style. Heavy on Fair/Tilt spacing and very defensive with shielding and grabbing out if shield. There is no way in hell such a prominent melee player would play like that if he felt he didn't have to

That really got me bummed out about smash 4... But now I have hope again as it seems all this has been getting ALOT of negative feedback and might prompt a change to a more offensive styling! Seems like they're listening too... I really hope it isn't too late to change everything though

Recovery frames are aspects of the game that are probably always being tweaked so it's definitely not too late for that. Dash dancing IS in the game in some form it's just so absurdly hard to do it's not useful so making that easier shouldn't be impossible. The only thing that would require a big feature change is bringing momentum back into jumps which seems unlikely at this point...

So it's not too late change most complaints, I'm just hoping the team sees a need to address them.

Blizzard

Banned

Are we talking about any mechanics besides the landing lag?

Given the Mario vs. ZSS example, can we still conclude with certainty that it was not intended as a balance mechanic? ZSS is already powerful, as evidenced by the tournament, for various reasons. As a balancing measure because she can jump into the air so often, she might be slow to recover from aerial attacks after landing. As I mentioned earlier, powerful ZSS + powerful down aerial dash + low landing lag would result in a low risk, high reward situation.

Mario may not be as good in the air and mobility departments as ZSS, but perhaps he has little landing lag after certain aerials to make up for it.

Haven't some people in this thread suggested reducing landing lag on certain aerials rather than a blanket landing lag reduction? If so, doesn't that appear to be the exact situation right now with ZSS vs. Mario? Naturally, if so, people probably disagree with WHICH aerials should have low lag, but it does seem that there is variance, as suggested.

I like how many new franchises that are getting characters this time around. Brawl only had 6 (really 5; come on, even with a unique icon, Wario's totally part of the Mario series). And 11 of the newcomers were from already represented franchises, 9 if you count Pokemon Trainer as one.

Where as in Brawl, we already have 6 new franchises represented by newcomers, which will go to 8 if the Shulk/Chorus Men leak is true. Only 3 of the revealed characters come from already represented franchises.

Though... if the leak is true and that's the complete roster, that leaves us with 12 Smash 4 newcomers vs. 17 newcomers in Brawl. Hmm. That's disappointing.

Anura

Recovery frames are aspects of the game that are probably always being tweaked so it's definitely not too late for that. Dash dancing IS in the game in some form it's just so absurdly hard to do it's not useful so making that easier shouldn't be impossible. The only thing that would require a big feature change is bringing momentum back into jumps which seems unlikely at this point...

So it's not too late change most complaints, I'm just hoping the team sees a need to address them.

Well, while momentum jumps would be very nice, I would certainly place it lower on the scale of necessity.

Cse

Banned
Are we talking about any mechanics besides the landing lag?

All of the problems with the build of the game at E3/Best Buy can be put under one simple label - movement options. Landing lag is a part of this. There is also endlag on throws. The window of time to dash is decreased. Players don't have many options coming out of dashes. Again, all of this can be placed under one simple category- a lack of movement options.

People can talk about l-canceling, wavedashing, etc, all they want, but the real reason so many people loved Melee was because of its precise controls. All of the ATs and terminology are byproducts of the precision movements. You felt like you actually had full and total control over your character. It was akin to driving a half million dollar sports car - it doesn't simply react to your input, it effectively functions as an extension of your intentions. You think it, and you can do it. The only limit on what you can do with your character was yourself. This is why Melee is so popular - the game doesn't preclude you from becoming better.

This changed in Brawl. The mechanics were altered such that the precise and complete control you had over your character had been eradicated. The controls felt comparatively clunky and far more imprecise, and players quickly noticed that ultra detailed control they had over their character in Melee simply wasn't possible in Brawl.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the exact same case with Smash Bros 4.

Sponge

Banned
I am probably the absolute latest person on the planet but, I just noticed Sakurai was totally messing with us with this picture.

r76Zncd.jpg

AetXcmi.png

Berordn

I am probably the absolute latest person on the planet but, I just noticed Sakurai was totally messing with us with this picture.

It sure seems that way. It shows off a lot of what's different between the two models, just so there's zero confusion.

I got that impression too.

Is it me or does fake/leak Palutena have better proportions than the current one?

As someone who has a bunch of issues with Palutena, I actually think her model's fine in both versions.

DJIzana

I know you meant Magnus, but your typo made me sad of how we will never get Chrono Trigger characters in Smash. :(

Aye. That picture of Mario, Mega Man, Pac Man and Sonic just doesn't feel the same without a Square Enix character and Konami character in it. The 6 major Japanese gaming companies in my eyes.

Aye. That picture of Mario, Mega Man, Pac Man and Sonic just doesn't feel the same without a Square Enix character and Konami character in it. The 6 major Japanese gaming companies in my eyes.
Yeah, as much as I don't want the Smash series to venture too far away from Nintendo properties, old school Square is such a large part of the Super Nintendo for me that I wouldn't mind getting some kind of rep for them. Can you imagine the possibilities for a Chrono Trigger stage, if only for the music!

Or you know, Marth's style might have drastically changed again but he had practiced with him to know the new stuff, while the brawl stuff happened to apply better than the melee stuff

Just a possibility

Daouzin

This changed in Brawl. The mechanics were altered such that the precise and complete control you had over your character had been eradicated. The controls felt comparatively clunky and far more imprecise, and players quickly noticed that ultra detailed control they had over their character in Melee simply wasn't possible in Brawl.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the exact same case with Smash Bros 4.

This, I thought I was being negative about Smash 4, but I just got home from E3 and my roommates are being very dramatic about the state of Smash 4 with zero interest in it from now on until we get reports that the game has been 'fixed.'

I can still enjoy it in it's current state for casual drinking nights and single player, but if it doesn't get fixed I'm definitely ready to move on from Melee to PM.

I really hope they listen to fan feedback. I'll be reaching out to Prog and D1 this week.

zroid

Banned
I think the fact many people think Geno is the best candidate as a Square Enix rep says a lot about the viability of a Square Enix rep in Smash Bros.

Maximilian's Smash E3 impressions

Of note is apparently Namco's supposed habit of frame buffering for inputs/animations
Probably the best explanation for the current situation so far, though I really hope his Namco theory isn't entirely spot-on since it'd seem to indicate all the lagging issues between moves and movement is something Sakurai won't be willing to work on for fear of the online getting mucked up (which to be fair was borderline unplayable in Brawl).

GamerSoul

I need those Greninjas in black and red. SO nice. Can you imagine if Nintendo started like selling shoes like this? lol

Maximilian's Smash E3 impressions

Of note is apparently Namco's supposed habit of frame buffering for inputs/animations

Awesome video. How a game or certain character "feels" is something I always take into consideration so the video was speaking in my language lol. The frame buffer for the inputs is interesting.

pikachu breakdancing his ass off. i love it.

That is one of my favorite taunts in Smash. I always rock the bandana Pikachu and just spam that move along with all his other spin attacks.

DJIzana

Yeah, as much as I don't want the Smash series to venture too far away from Nintendo properties, old school Square is such a large part of the Super Nintendo for me that I wouldn't mind getting some kind of rep for them. Can you imagine the possibilities for a Chrono Trigger stage, if only for the music!

Big presence on the NES as well with Dragon Quest. Same with Konami... they had Contra which was quite memorable to me as well but yeah, a nod to Chrono would be nice. :p

Well Snake still has a chance to be in it for Konami, but I can't even come up with a Square-Enix character that makes sense. Square's biggest franchise is Final Fantasy by a mile, but which character would be the best representative? Cloud was a popular choice in the Brawl speculation days, but I don't believe he has never been in a Nintendo game. Black Mage, White Mage, Moogle? Maybe, all 3 haracters have appeared in Mario Hoops and Mario Sports Mix. There's also non-Final Fantasy characters like Crono, Sora or a Dragon Quest character (Who've also crossed over with Mario before in Fortune Street.

jph139

I think Black Mage is easily the most iconic of the classic Final Fantasy characters. They'd probably go with a Dragon Quest character, though, as that's more strongly associated with Nintendo nowadays.

Berordn

I think Black Mage is easily the most iconic of the classic Final Fantasy characters. They'd probably go with a Dragon Quest character, though, as that's more strongly associated with Nintendo nowadays.

Black Mage would be a good fit, imo. Iconic look, clear theme, another spellcaster which Smash is kinda lacking in.

Plus he's already got a modern Nintendo-esque design.
(that's the best shot of him I could find, but it's an alt color from Mario Sports Mix)

Black Mage would be a good fit, imo. Iconic look, clear theme, another spellcaster which Smash is kinda lacking in.

(that's the best shot of him I could find, but it's an alt color from Mario Sports Mix)
Would LOVE Black Mafe as a rep. Throw in a Vivi colored costume while they're at it.

Anura

Or you know, Marth's style might have drastically changed again but he had practiced with him to know the new stuff, while the brawl stuff happened to apply better than the melee stuff

Just a possibility

So what you're saying is EXACTLY what I said?
If you're trying argue about the game might end up being offensive after all then I disagree and think given everything we know about the game this far we can comfortably assume it will be the same type of "brawl" defensive unless it changes course

Sponge

Banned

Black Mage would be my pick for a Square Enix character. Even if we got Slime, I'd deal since I'd wanna see how a character like Slime works.

Anura

Black Mage is the only square rep I could see getting in. Not only are they an iconic FF design but they were on more than a few SNES/NES games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom