• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS patch 1.1.6 announced

Um, the guy you quote uses the term "very different" twice in that sentence, so I don't know where you got "only," and it starts "In addition to the very different special properties," signifying he's talking about Special Attacks, he then *continues* "...his A attacks are very different."

He *himself* pointed out that he was talking about Specials and had to segue the conversation to Normals, so I'm really not sure where you're coming from, here.

...Whoops. Guess I'm blind. ^_^;

I don't think people here are still not fully understanding the changes imo (which is hard when the patch isn't really out, but still). While if you predict the Bayonetta is going to Up-B you from the ground, you can technically SDI. However, while it's definitely easier than before (where before even if you knew it was coming you were still generally hosed), it's now possible to escape if you predict it. However, it's still a frame 4 move and can easily catch you offguard. The main one that now is easier to DI/SDI is the second UpB, as that's the one you generally just know is coming. That prevents the kills off the top.

Secondly, Up-B Afterburner kick still works the same if I remember correctly. So now the standard combo might be Up-B into ABK Upwards, maybe back, and then you escape. Now add DI to the equation, and you probably can still get 20-30 damage on a good combo, but it's nowhere near her old combo.

There are videos that I posted in this thread that show that her air combos are probably not gonna work... ever.

I honestly have no idea how she's supposed to combo now. We'll need to wait and see, but her specials in the air are no longer close to reliable.

KingBroly

Banned
There have been multiple sources who pulled the patch from Nintendo's servers confirming these changes by this point, though.

What I'm saying is that it feels like they haven't put it out to gauge reactions because they know dataminers exist. Otherwise it'd be out already.

What I'm saying is that it feels like they haven't put it out to gauge reactions because they know dataminers exist. Otherwise it'd be out already.

I don't think it works like that. Besides, this is the first instance of people pulling a patch for Smash 4 from the servers before it got released.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
...Whoops. Guess I'm blind. ^_^;

There are videos that I posted in this thread that show that her air combos are probably not gonna work... ever.

I honestly have no idea how she's supposed to combo now. We'll need to wait and see, but her specials in the air are no longer close to reliable.

The Up-B video clearly says "WITH SDI". This isn't normal DI. This is hitting rapidly in a particular direction, and honestly most players aren't that great at it or even use it at all at lower to mid levels. The patch at least made it much more feasible for lower level players though if you know what you're doing. The second video is also "WITH SDI". I already mentioned downwards ABK doesn't combo anymore at all anyways. I haven't seen anything saying upwards ABK has changed all that much and UAir is still the same for kills.

The specials before were broken before. Even MASHING the appropriate input after you've already predicted it, you couldn't do anything at all except DI as a mixup and SDI that last hit of UAir at least. Even if you predicted it and were doing the right thing, you often were screwed. Now with moderate SDI you get out of the later attack (probably 3rd/4th attack) on reaction.

It's possible to Smash DI out of ZSS's paralyzer, but I've only seen Zero do it during a game. Metaknight's UAirs are far more SDIable now, but floaties still get comboed pretty hard, and you need to SDI those a bit at least. I think it's ridiculous to say "she can't combo".

DTilt, while shorter, still is a combo starter (even if harder to hit), and first Up-B still works as does UAir. I'm not saying she wasn't weakened a lot (0 to death combos are likely dead), but people are pretending she can't combo at all when she still probably can do to a smaller extent. People didn't know about ESAM's SDI thing and even top players weren't using it. You really think everyone is suddenly going to SDI well now and on reaction?

Let me give you an example. Witch Twist (her Up-B) takes 21 frames to finish. Now let's say you get hit by Witch Twist and aren't already mashing your SDI inputs. It takes 6 frames for your inputs to even get to the game and the reaction time of someone as good as Mew2King is like 13 frames (his words, not mine). Let's say people are slower on average than M2K and are like 15-18 frames. Oh wait, that Witch Twist HAS already ENDED before you even started SDIing on reaction.

However, during the followup move, now your SDI actually starts. This is why ESAM before could at least DI the kill move after being already hit by 2-3 moves. Secondly, it's not very clear what the effect on FAir was. Fair 1 was the combo tool, yet they nerfed Fair 3. It's possible you can still use Fair -> Witch Twist for combos now.

Nevertheless, it's going to be hard to tell until the patch releases and Bayo mains like 9B, Tyroy, Riot & Pink Fresh actually start trying out their old combos. There were combos like Nair to UAir before from what I understand, so I think those might stay the same.

The Up-B video clearly says "WITH SDI". This isn't normal DI. This is hitting rapidly in a particular direction, and honestly most players aren't that great at it or even use it at all at lower to mid levels. The patch at least made it much more feasible for lower level players though if you know what you're doing. The second video is also "WITH SDI". I already mentioned downwards ABK doesn't combo anymore at all anyways. I haven't seen anything saying upwards ABK has changed all that much and UAir is still the same for kills.

All of her aerial specials got their SDI multipliers doubled, which includes her upwards After Burner Kick.

Also, it's not just SDI. Her hitboxes got reduced and re-arranged, making it harder to consistently hit people at all.

The specials before were broken before. Even MASHING the appropriate input after you've already predicted it, you couldn't do anything at all except DI as a mixup and SDI that last hit of UAir at least. Even if you predicted it and were doing the right thing, you often were screwed. Now with moderate SDI you get out of the later attack (probably 3rd/4th attack) on reaction.

Actually, it was already entirely possible to SDI out of it pre-patch. It got me killed a couple of times because I did it while too close to the upper blastzone lol.

It's possible to Smash DI out of ZSS's paralyzer, but I've only seen Zero do it during a game. Metaknight's UAirs are far more SDIable now, but floaties still get comboed pretty hard, and you need to SDI those a bit at least. I think it's ridiculous to say "she can't combo".

While the impact on her combos remains to be seen, I have no doubt that she's no longer going to be a combo-oriented character.

DTilt, while shorter, still is a combo starter (even if harder to hit), and first Up-B still works as does UAir. I'm not saying she wasn't weakened a lot (0 to death combos are likely dead), but people are pretending she can't combo at all when she still probably can do to a smaller extent. People didn't know about ESAM's SDI thing and even top players weren't using it. You really think everyone is suddenly going to SDI well now and on reaction?

Let me give you an example. Witch Twist (her Up-B) takes 21 frames to finish. Now let's say you get hit by Witch Twist and aren't already mashing your SDI inputs. It takes 6 frames for your inputs to even get to the game and the reaction time of someone as good as Mew2King is like 13 frames (his words, not mine). Let's say people are slower on average than M2K and are like 15-18 frames. Oh wait, that Witch Twist HAS already ENDED before you even started SDIing on reaction.

Hit lag makes Witch Twist last much longer than that. Like, over twice as long. It's plenty reactable.

However, during the followup move, now your SDI actually starts. This is why ESAM before could at least DI the kill move after being already hit by 2-3 moves. Secondly, it's not very clear what the effect on FAir was. Fair 1 was the combo tool, yet they nerfed Fair 3. It's possible you can still use Fair -> Witch Twist for combos now.

Nevertheless, it's going to be hard to tell until the patch releases and Bayo mains like 9B, Tyroy, Riot & Pink Fresh actually start trying out their old combos. There were combos like Nair to UAir before from what I understand, so I think those might stay the same.

The combos that don't involve her specials will most likely still be there, at least.

just updated and tested Bayo......seems only her Dive kick got nerfed? seems either dataminers were exaggerating or Bullshitting, or Sakurai saw the mess of a patch and called off most of the changes.

im glad my girl is still okay.....well it feels that way.

random25

Seeing the Bayo nerf in action...wow RIP.

Her aerials and smashes are still good, but the advertised combo game is already dead.

Masked Man

I said wow
just updated and tested Bayo......seems only her Dive kick got nerfed? seems either dataminers were exaggerating or Bullshitting, or Sakurai saw the mess of a patch and called off most of the changes.

im glad my girl is still okay.....well it feels that way.

Gurl, she is most definitely not okay. :(

Gurl, she is most definitely not okay. :(

im a bruh tho.

im gonna have to try her out in a actual match I guess to see the damage. But I am right in that her up B was not nerfed like in the videos poltergust linked earlier. Did the same DK 0% test and the knock back is not as bad as the video shows.

edit: SDI.......well shit.

im a bruh tho.

im gonna have to try her out in a actual match I guess to see the damage. But I am right in that her up B was not nerfed like in the videos poltergust linked earlier. Did the same DK 0% test and the knock back is not as bad as the video shows.

That video was with SDI. Someone was controlling the DK and SDIing during the up B.

Sami+

I didn't realise Zero irritated people so much. Personally I like the guy, he just says dumb things sometimes.

As for the Bayo nerfs, I never thought she was broken or too op in the 1st place but some nerfs were definitely needed. They just went a little too far with it. Hopefully people can figure out some cool new stuff with her.

It's kind of scaring me how fucking vile people on here are toward him and other top players. Jesus. Watch some of his videos maybe and get to know him a bit, he's very personable in them and you see that even though he can say disagreeable things he's always respectful to others. Not trying to Stan for the guy but it's legitimately uncomfortable seeing people thrash him so vehemently over a nerf that wasn't even in his hands.

Not just Zer0 though. I think the backlash towards the community for daring to complain about a character that was unfair is unreasonable. Bayonetta was too good and was carrying a lot of players, and although she wasn't so broken that banning her was justified imo, something needed to be done. If she has in fact been overnerfed into D tier I hardly see how that's the fault of the players - you should complain about the developers seeing reactions to an overpowered characters and thinking completely crippling her was a better response than well thought out tweaks to her frame data and hitboxes.

CronoShot

It's kind of scaring me how fucking vile people on here are toward him and other top players. Jesus. Watch some of his videos maybe and get to know him a bit, he's very personable in them and you see that even though he can say disagreeable things he's always respectful to others. Not trying to Stan for the guy but it's legitimately uncomfortable seeing people thrash him so vehemently over a nerf that wasn't even in his hands.

Not just Zer0 though. I think the backlash towards the community for daring to complain about a character that was unfair is unreasonable. Bayonetta was too good and was carrying a lot of players, and although she wasn't so broken that banning her was justified imo, something needed to be done. If she has in fact been overnerfed into D tier I hardly see how that's the fault of the players - you should complain about the developers seeing reactions to an overpowered characters and thinking completely crippling her was a better response than well thought out tweaks to her frame data and hitboxes.
People would have lost their shit if all she got was some minor nerfs.

Remember, this is a character that more than a few people were calling to be banned. A character that the best player of the game called "toxic."

Traditionally, harsh nerfs are usually accompanied by minor buffs in other areas. This happened with Luigi and Sheik. It did not happen with Bayonetta. This is clearly not a normal nerf by the dev team. It was an effort to satisfy the community.

Sami+

People would have lost their shit if all she got was some minor nerfs.

Remember, this is a character that more than a few people were calling to be banned. A character that the best player of the game called "toxic."

Traditionally, harsh nerfs are usually accompanied by minor buffs in other areas. This happened with Luigi and Sheik. It did not happen with Bayonetta. This is clearly not a normal nerf by the dev team. It was an effort to satisfy the community.

Bans were wrong, but I don't disagree that she was toxic to the community. I think Zer0's assessment on that front was well thought out and respectfully expressed - players who were never even on the map were suddenly getting results with her, she wasn't good for viewership, and the huge wealth of vods featuring nobody Bayo mains doing some completely nutty shit exist for a reason. She just burst onto the meta out of nowhere and overall had a detrimental effect on the scene. Something needed to be done and it was up to the developers to fix the issue. If they overdid it, it's on them. The problem was made by them in the first place, after all.

I disagree that people "would have lost their shit" if all she got was minor nerfs. Sheik, Diddy, Cloud, and ZSS all only got minor nerfs and everyone's pretty happy with their standing now as far as I can see.

PK Gaming

People are resentful towards people with talent. It's always been that way. Add in the fact that he's not particularly articulate and he does tend to say stupid things from time to time, and you basically have yourself a punching bag.

I do like him though. He's one of the few top players that actually took his time to interact with the community and his videos are pretty great.

PtM

Banned
I don't even understand how she's supposed to combo anymore.
It seems like every move has been specifically tweaked to make it so nothing leads to anything.

So gross that this is what ended up happening because of prominent "community" members like Zero having a temper tantrum.
He mained Meta Knight in Brawl! He constantly wrings and guilts the Smash community for attention and sympathy! He's the absolute worst water-mark of what's "toxic" or not.

I bet he just doesn't like Bayonetta as a character and didn't want there to be any viable competition.
When your one claim to fame is playing a single video game really well, the idea of the playing field being slightly unbalanced in your favor must be panic inducing.
Uuuuh… They didn't patch her because of Zero.
It was never a rumor, it was a fact.
NLife classified it as such, maybe other outlets as well?

Yeah, his videos seem pretty educational. Shame he has to advertise before each one =P

The only problem I have with him is that he's misinformed about a lot of different things.

"Jigglypuff's up-throw is a kill throw" is something that comes to mind.

SoulUnison

Banned
Uuuuh… They didn't patch her because of Zero.

NLife classified it as such, maybe other outlets as well?

Why do people keep trying to twist that statement into me saying that Zero is somehow directly responsible for this patch? That's asinine.

But it's not good that way, you have different series on different rows.

I think it's only one row, actually - Link and Zelda are separated from Sheik, Ganondorf, and Toon Link, but that's the only instance of a series getting split up with that layout. Still beats the ugly formatting and ridiculous amount of wasted space you get if you keep the Mii Fighter slot in IMO. :(

This is absolutely the way the final CSS with all DLC should have looked in my opinion. By far the best CSS 'shop I've seen yet:

IMG_4828.png

The only issue with this layout - and it's a minor one - is that Mega Man appears to the right of Pac-Man rather than to the right of Sonic... but they obviously did that so Ryu could be put to Mega Man's right as the second Capcom character. In that sense, they didn't really have a choice but to slot Pac-Man in out of order.

EDIT: Can you imagine if this (or the real final CSS layout) had leaked prior to Smash's launch? No one would have believed it and whoever leaked it would have been absolutely roasted. Robin? Shulk? Lucas? Roy? Mega Man? Ryu? Cloud? Bayonetta? OBVIOUSLY FAKE. :p

Kaleo

Neo Member
IMG_4828.png

The only issue with this layout - and it's a minor one - is that Mega Man appears to the right of Pac-Man rather than to the right of Sonic... but they obviously did that so Ryu could be put to Mega Man's right as the second Capcom character. In that sense, they didn't really have a choice but to slot Pac-Man in out of order.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... by this logic, Bayonerfed shouldn't be aligned with Sonic at this layout, since they're both SEGA characters?

qko

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... by this logic, Bayonerfed shouldn't be aligned with Sonic at this layout, since they're both SEGA characters?

Sonic is on the "classic" area with GW, DH, ROB and Pac Man.

Bayonets is in good company with Ryu and Cloud as "bad-ass third party"

Yeah, that's a tricky one. Bayonetta is a SEGA character in a way, but at the same time she also kind of isn't. I know I've never thought of her as one even though SEGA does technically own the rights to her. I don't know, she still "feels" like a Platinum character to me. You're certainly not wrong, though!

With all due respect I kinda wish more people tried to bring back the original order of the CSS before all the clones and DLC characters.

Mario extended universe (July 9, 1981)
The Legend of Zelda (February 21, 1986)
Metroid (August 6, 1986)
Kid Icarus (December 19, 1986)
Fire Emblem (April 20, 1990)
Kirby (April 27, 1992)
Star Fox (February 21, 1993)
Pokémon (February 27, 1996)

In between the gaps, the single rep series also go in chronological order.

Game & Watch (April 28, 1980)
Punch-Out!! (February 1984)
Duck Hunt (April 21, 1984)
R.O.B. (July 26, 1985)
Mother (July 27, 1989)
F-Zero (November 21, 1990)
Animal Crossing (April 14, 2001)
Pikmin (October 26, 2001)
Wii Fit (December 1, 2007)
Xenoblade Chronicles (June 10, 2010)

Also, the third parties at the end are in chronological order as well.

PAC-MAN (May 22, 1980)
Mega Man (December 17, 1987)
Sonic The Hedgehog (June 23, 1991)

With all this in mind, Ness and Lucas would have to be relocated near the Kid Icarus characters since Mother came out in 1989 and has multiple characters again. As for the third parties, Ryu would go after Pac-Man (August 30, 1987), Cloud would go after Mega Man (December 18, 1987), and lastly Bayonetta would go after Sonic (October 29, 2009).

What do you know, all the Capcom and Sega characters would be together if they were like this!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well Earthbound/Mother is a little different in terms of the reasons behind the 2 characters. What happened with Mother I think is it has 1 thing going for it, and there was 1 stroke of luck happen for fans.

Thing going for it: Ness is one of the original 12 from Smash64. After Melee, it pretty much became tradition to keep the original 12 in every Smash game.

Stroke of luck: During Melee development, Lucas was meant to replace Ness, but due to time constraints, Sakurai stuck with Ness. By the time Brawl rolled around, Sakurai decided to retain the original 12, but he still wanted to include Lucas because of the newer Mother 3.

So, originally, the Mother/Earthbound was originally going to only have 1 representative throughout Smash, but thanks to Melee/Brawl stuff, we have 2.

I'd argue more in that Sakurai actually likes Mother series. In fact, I'd even say Mother might be a victim of the culling if Sakurai gets removed from the chair.

Also, representation is more than just character, and Mother gets a load. From references to its games, the enemies, assist trophies, abilities, items, etc. People shit on the characters using moves they don't learn yet forget the actual amount of love the series gets.

Vena

I'd argue more in that Sakurai actually likes Mother series. In fact, I'd even say Mother might be a victim of the culling if Sakurai gets removed from the chair.

Also, representation is more than just character, and Mother gets a load. From references to its games, the enemies, assist trophies, abilities, items, etc. People shit on the characters using moves they don't learn yet forget the actual amount of love the series gets.

Mother is ingrained in Smash.

Its as ingrained as Falcon who is now more commonly associated with Smash than he is with his actual games, or being a race car driver.

FSLink

Banned
I think it's only one row, actually - Link and Zelda are separated from Sheik, Ganondorf, and Toon Link, but that's the only instance of a series getting split up with that layout. Still beats the ugly formatting and ridiculous amount of wasted space you get if you keep the Mii Fighter slot in IMO. :(

This is absolutely the way the final CSS with all DLC should have looked in my opinion. By far the best CSS 'shop I've seen yet:

IMG_4828.png

EDIT: Can you imagine if this (or the real final CSS layout) had leaked prior to Smash's launch? No one would have believed it and whoever leaked it would have been absolutely roasted. Robin? Shulk? Lucas? Roy? Mega Man? Ryu? Cloud? Bayonetta? OBVIOUSLY FAKE. :p

Looks fine as a mockup but you realize it's an impossible layout due to how the engine works right? It resizes and such automatically so the empty space is unavoidable.

Someone already did a pretty good CSS fix that rearranges the DLC characters in due to homebrew.

Muzy72

Banned
With all due respect I kinda wish more people tried to bring back the original order of the CSS before all the clones and DLC characters.

Mario extended universe (July 9, 1981)
The Legend of Zelda (February 21, 1986)
Metroid (August 6, 1986)
Kid Icarus (December 19, 1986)
Fire Emblem (April 20, 1990)
Kirby (April 27, 1992)
Star Fox (February 21, 1993)
Pokémon (February 27, 1996)

In between the gaps, the single rep series also go in chronological order.

Game & Watch (April 28, 1980)
Punch-Out!! (February 1984)
Duck Hunt (April 21, 1984)
R.O.B. (July 26, 1985)
Mother (July 27, 1989)
F-Zero (November 21, 1990)
Animal Crossing (April 14, 2001)
Pikmin (October 26, 2001)
Wii Fit (December 1, 2007)
Xenoblade Chronicles (June 10, 2010)

Also, the third parties at the end are in chronological order as well.

PAC-MAN (May 22, 1980)
Mega Man (December 17, 1987)
Sonic The Hedgehog (June 23, 1991)

With all this in mind, Ness and Lucas would have to be relocated near the Kid Icarus characters since Mother came out in 1989 and has multiple characters again. As for the third parties, Ryu would go after Pac-Man (August 30, 1987), Cloud would go after Mega Man (December 18, 1987), and lastly Bayonetta would go after Sonic (October 29, 2009).

What do you know, all the Capcom and Sega characters would be together if they were like this!
Bless you. I thought I was the only one who that bothered lol.

Still, even if it didn't do that it would he better than what we have now lmao.

Why do people keep trying to twist that statement into me saying that Zero is somehow directly responsible for this patch? That's asinine.

It's not being twisted. Maybe you didn't mean to say that, but you must see how your phrasing leads directly to that conclusion?

Looks fine as a mockup but you realize it's an impossible layout due to how the engine works right? It resizes and such automatically so the empty space is unavoidable.

Someone already did a pretty good CSS fix that rearranges the DLC characters in due to homebrew.

I didn't know that, actually, but I never entertained any ideas of the CSS ever being updated to look anything like that.

The final layout (with Mii Fighters included) is just bizarre, because it's just so awful and Sakurai games are usually the standard-bearers in terms of gorgeous UIs.

I didn't know there was a CSS "fix" out there for Smash Wii U mods, I'll have to check out some screenshots of that (not sure if I'm up to going through the process/trouble of setting up mods for my game since I would hardly ever use any).

EDIT: Actually, can you link me to a screenshot of the CSS mod you're talking about? I went searching but all the CSS mods I found on my own are ugly as hell and couldn't possibly be what you're referencing. :p

It's not being twisted. Maybe you didn't mean to say that, but you must see how your phrasing leads directly to that conclusion?

Technically it could be true to some degree. I mean fighting game developers are always communicating to the players so it wouldn't surprise if they did take on Zer0s points. But obviously 'proof' etc is required.

Top Bottom