• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Now that I think about it, Other M Ridley would probably be much easier to "scale down" than any other Ridley incarnation, since he's now so much more humanoid in shape and his head is proportional to his (now totally RIPPEDley) body
I think the biggest issue is his really thick arms and legs. Make them thinner and it might work.

Exotoro

This entirely. Primarily because if Ridley isn't playable in Smash 4 at all, that means that he's a possibility for Project M's additional characters, and I feel like the PM team would do Ridley more justice than Sakurai's. Which is a little depressing now that I think about it. Why is it that a fanmade team can do characters like Sonic or Wario more justice than an official team of professionals?

Hindsight.

On the topic of Fire Emblem reps, when Brawl was coming out (before Ike was announced) I thought a Lyn/Hector/Eliwood combination character of some sort would be a really great way to bring the series gameplay to Smash, with the weapon triangle being a huge part. I dunno how doable that idea would be, or if it even makes sense to bring FE7 characters this late in the game, but I still like it in theory.

Also I'm sure this has been discussed at length in here already, but the MU from Awakening could be a much more interesting rep than Chrom, since Chrom wouldn't necessarily have much to differentiate himself from Marth or Ike unless you invented some differences. MU can use both swords and magic by default.

Ryce

This entirely. Primarily because if Ridley isn't playable in Smash 4 at all, that means that he's a possibility for Project M's additional characters, and I feel like the PM team would do Ridley more justice than Sakurai's. Which is a little depressing now that I think about it. Why is it that a fanmade team can do characters like Sonic or Wario more justice than an official team of professionals?
Not this again. Please.

I really hope they actually reveal Ness this time around. He was just tossed in near the end of the Dojo reveals.

It'd also be cool to see more Earthbound (or Mother 3) characters make cameos. The camera man could be a neat assist trophy.

EarthBound_Fuzzy_Pickles_stamp_by_MythicPhoenix.png

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really hope they actually reveal Ness this time around. He was just tossed in near the end of the Dojo reveals.

It'd also be cool to see more Earthbound (or Mother 3) characters make cameos. The camera man could be a neat assist trophy.

EarthBound_Fuzzy_Pickles_stamp_by_MythicPhoenix.png

That would be amazing assist trophy, automated photo taker without pause and etc.

Until it vanishes itself out of existence. Or at least is declared noncanon by Nintendo themselves.

Also how can a giant flying space dragon be boring at all?

I've always thought that this shared hatred for Metroid: Other M is a little irrational. It had a terrible story, yes, but it honestly had some of the best gameplay seen in the series. And the story wasn't even that bad. People just got fussy because they think Samus was made unnecessarily subordinate, and a huge bandwagon started. I don't know. It never bothered me, and it especially didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game.

(As it so happens, most of the people who join in on hating the game haven't even touched it.)

Sorry for the off-topic post. ^_^
It's just that's the third time today I've seen GAF hate on Other M lol. Is there anything else we collectively hate more?

Until it vanishes itself out of existence. Or at least is declared noncanon by Nintendo themselves.

Considering the series is practically dead now, I dunno if the latter is possible...

This may sound selfish, but I'd like to talk about a game that doesn't instill pure anger and/or total apathy (i.e. me), so that's why I'm rather tired of this pattern.

Also how can a giant flying space dragon be boring at all?

Oh, don't mind me and my troll bait. I've seen so many Ridley arguments that they've pretty much killed my interest in the character.

If he gets in, cool. If not, whatever.

Oh, don't mind me and my troll bait. I've seen so many Ridley arguments that they've pretty much killed my interest in the character.

If he gets in, cool. If not, whatever.
Ah, I can definitely respect that. Honestly at this point I'm almost like to see Ridley deconfirmed as much as I'd like to see him confirmed due to a combination of my dislike of the design he would likely take and that it would mean that we could finally move away from the topic in its entirety.

I would have been pretty darn happy if all of the Smash 4 newcomers had been from new franchises instead of existing ones, though Rosalina killed that pattern. There are a bunch of Nintendo franchises with no reps yet, like Rhythm Heaven, Chibi-Robo, Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun...

DaBoss

It had a terrible story, yes, but it honestly had some of the best gameplay seen in the series. And the story wasn't even that bad. People just got fussy because they think Samus was made unnecessarily subordinate, and a huge bandwagon started. I don't know. It never bothered me, and it especially didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game.

(As it so happens, most of the people who join in on hating the game haven't even touched it.)
That is your opinion and all, but no way. I don't even give a crap about the story, it was bad, but I can ignore a bad story if it is a good game, but Other M isn't a good game.

It was a linear game with auto-aiming, terrible controls, tap-dodge making things ridiculously easy. Then there are the pixel-hunting moments.

Not to mention the fact that its music is unmemorable and the poor visuals (from a technical sense, they are really good for the Wii, but design choices make it bland and look bad).

Every other Metroid game has much better gameplay, story, music, and visuals (except maybe that DS game, but I never played it). It is the poorest entry in the series.

Gartooth

Those "noncanon spinoffs" were truer Metroid games than Sakamoto's abomination. It wasn't until the post game that Other M finally gave me a Metroidesque feel in its gameplay and even then it paled in comparison to other entries.

Gleethor

Now that I think about it, Other M Ridley would probably be much easier to "scale down" than any other Ridley incarnation, since he's now so much more humanoid in shape and his head is proportional to his (now totally RIPPEDley) body

He's hideous but if it means playable Ridley then fuck it, I'll take what I can get.

kunonabi

Those "noncanon spinoffs" were truer Metroid games than Sakamoto's abomination. It wasn't until the post game that Other M finally gave me a Metroidesque feel in its gameplay and even then it paled in comparison to other entries.

it wasn't that much more linear than fusion was and i'd argue that it handled abilities and items better than that game ever did.

I prefer super metroid and prime's approach as well but to act like other m came out of nowhere and was some great betrayal of the series is nonsense. It was a natural evolution to what they had been doing with fusion and zero mission.

SmithnCo

Yeah, even without the story, Other M is completely underwhelming. Cool animations and all, but the auto aiming and seriously broken dodge just trivialized the whole thing.

it wasn't that much more linear than fusion was and i'd argue that it handled abilities and items better than that game ever did.

I prefer super metroid and prime's approach as well but to act like other m came out of nowhere and was some great betrayal of the series is nonsense. It was a natural evolution to what they had been doing with fusion and zero mission.
Fusion was linear, but rewarded the player for finding a particular sequence break. Also, it incorporated nonlinear, Metroid-y elements to its linear progression with parts where the player had to go off of the beaten path to find things, as well as it getting more and more "non-linear" and exploration-oriented as you got further in. It was basically the Metroid feel put into a linear game and it worked quite well.

Zero Mission was full of sequence breaks and practically encouraged them by design. It told you where to go but not how to do so, and still had a lot of exploration.

Other M told you where to go and how to do it. At no time does the player feel like they're truly exploring somewhere new or going off of a path. It doesn't feel like a Metroid game even slightly. Calling it a "natural evolution" of Fusion and ZM is ludicrous.

And that's not even to mention how Other M bastardized the characters of both Samus and Adam as we knew them in Fusion and ZM.

Gartooth

I didn't like Fusion's linear approach either and it is my biggest problem with that game, but I had more fun with the general classic 2D gameplay than Other M. Visuals, music, and storyline were also much better in Fusion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If we're shutting down conversations because we've had them before, we may as well shut down the thread because at around a hundred thousand Smash 4-related posts we've probably covered everything ever.

How about some My Little Ponies for Smash?
I would have loved the idea of Twilight Sparkle in Smash Bros. if Hasbro hadn't ruined her and given her wings.

No, what Smash Bros. needs is a rep for a new generation, a rep that can exemplify the internet as a whole. It needs a rep who will bring in new players by sheer virtue of his popularity, and it needs a rep that can show how Smash Bros. could be pushed forward as an art form. It needs a rep from a franchise that, while it didn't start as a video game but a parody of video games, is getting a video game to call its own later this very year.

John Egbert from Homestuck for Super Smash Bros. 4.

Since Ridley is too big, Sakurai has decided to instead include a Ridley Pony.

If_Ridley_was_a_My_Little_Pony.jpg

brb scrubbing my search history
Edit: I'm sorry for beginning the new page like this, I'll disappear forever now

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Okay, people. Let go back and focus on regular Smash discussions. Just let not going there, ya know what we meant. Since we have new moderators, so better watch what y'all are posting. They wouldn't stand for weird things to happens in the threads.

Anyway, new topic;

Do anyone think that second party characters would have a chance to become playable characters?

Berordn

Do anyone think that second party characters would have a chance to become playable characters?

They hold their second party characters pretty close, so there's no reason for them not to. The real issue is that there aren't too many recurring characters worth using. Starfy would've been one, but he's a pretty boring character outside of his own games.

Top Bottom