• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They hold their second party characters pretty close, so there's no reason for them not to. The real issue is that there aren't too many recurring characters worth using. Starfy would've been one, but he's a pretty boring character outside of his own games.

YOU'RE A PRETTY BORING CHARACTER OUTSIDE YOUR OWN GAMES.

Why, Sakurai, why... :(

Do anyone think that second party characters would have a chance to become playable characters?

Aren't characters made by a second-party studio by definition actually first-party characters, since the IP owner is not the second-party, IE Ratchet & Clank?

Or are you just asking about characters not made by Nintendo, but for Nintendo games, like Diddy Kong
or Geno
?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Aren't characters made by a second-party studio by definition actually first-party characters, since the IP owner is not the second-party, IE Ratchet & Clank?

Or are you just asking about characters not made by Nintendo, but for Nintendo games, like Diddy Kong
or Geno
?

Geno is completely different situation, but no.

I meant those series that only second party companies only worked on.

Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Endless Ocean, Harmoknight, Drill Dozer, Custom Robo, Fossil Fighters, Chibi-Robo, Legendary Stafy, etc.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ugh

Ganon had always been this evil, omnipotent being that could never truly be killed. There was this mystery about him, and almost a kind of respect for his tenacity and hatred.

And then they just go "jk, he's just a puppet for this one dude who's in one game lulz" and it flushed a lot of the respect and mystery about Ganon away. This long history of a thief wizard of the desert turned into an immortal monster by greed and jealously of Hyrule life turned into a slave to some higher being...

bleh, he also kind of washes away all the awesome character development Wind Waker did for Ganon. He no longer has a real reason to be evil, he's just a reincarnated spirit of this evil dude...

ganondorf is a reincarnation not a puppet, ganondorf can do whatever he likes really.

foxuzamaki

Also, I really want Zero Suit Samus to be cut. She's the only character I actively want to be cut, rather than just thinking there are more suitable characters I'd give higher priority. Zero Suit Samus is completely unfaithful to the Metroid games in basically every aspect and really only existed in Brawl so Sakurai could have lingering booty shots in every other SSE cutscene.

wut.gif

foxuzamaki

It's ironic that since I haven't played Other M, I feel pretty nonchalant towards its representations in Smash Bros., whereas those to have actually suffered the game feel affronted. With most cases the effect would probably be reversed. :p

Ive played other M and Im not affronted at all really, then again im not much of a metroid fanboy despite owning every single console metroid game.

I meant those series that only second party companies only worked on.

Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Endless Ocean, Harmoknight, Drill Dozer, Custom Robo, Fossil Fighters, Chibi-Robo, Legendary Stafy, etc.

In that case, yeah, I think they have a chance, but unfortunately all of those franchises are a bit too small to warrant a character except Custom Robo and that's pushing it already.

IMO Assist Trophy is a fine place for them, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't Harmoknight and Chibi-Robo ATs in the game, I could even see a Chibi-Robo stage making it in on 3DS. I've never played Golden Sun but apparently Isaac is popular enough to warrant inclusion on a lot of people's lists so I could see him getting in potentially.

Vlade

Since Ridley is too big, Sakurai has decided to instead include a Ridley Pony.

If_Ridley_was_a_My_Little_Pony.jpg

brb scrubbing my search history
Edit: I'm sorry for beginning the new page like this, I'll disappear forever now

Excellent, excellent. could you do another one only this time with
WHAT DID YOU EXPECT TO SEE?

ganondorf is a reincarnation not a puppet, ganondorf can do whatever he likes really.

He used to have a reason for attacking Hyrule.

Now all that can just be brought down to "he's an evil spirit reincarnated" basically getting rid of the last 15 years of decent character development Ganon had. It makes it seem like he's not doing this of his own will, but because he's Demise reincarnated.

Man, I would dig some Chibi-Robo content in these games.

An AT is probably the best shot the series has, but I'd be okay with trophies or something.

Now all that can just be brought down to "he's an evil spirit reincarnated" basically getting rid of the last 15 years of decent character development Ganon had. It makes it seem like he's not doing this of his own will, but because he's Demise reincarnated.

I like you.

Berordn

That can't be all Stafy does, can it? Granted I've never played his games so I wouldn't know.

It's been a while since I've played any of them, but that's mostly all he does on land. Most of his upgrades in the games are related to mobility, and the spin is his only attack.

foxuzamaki

being a reincarnation doesnt get rid of his character development, what, you do know all that stuff about ganondorf came after SS in the timeline, right?, zelda has also bee a reincarnations, do you think tetra and SS zelda and spirit tracks zelda and so on characterization no longer count because they have that role? Do you also know reincarnation is also kinda a big thing in japan?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
In that case, yeah, I think they have a chance, but unfortunately all of those franchises are a bit too small to warrant a character except Custom Robo and that's pushing it already.

IMO Assist Trophy is a fine place for them, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't Harmoknight and Chibi-Robo ATs in the game, I could even see a Chibi-Robo stage making it in on 3DS. I've never played Golden Sun but apparently Isaac is popular enough to warrant inclusion on a lot of people's lists so I could see him getting in potentially.

Most of them are perfect for Assist Trophy, but there are few characters that I can see to be playable characters but I doubt that they will.

I would love to see Isaac as playable character but his chance is pretty much gone by now.

I think I found a good solution to the body shape/size problem as far as Metroid characters are concerned.

It keeps to the classic Metroid feel, because there was a bikini somewhere in the original and it will let Sakurai add pretty much any Metroid character we want.

45Z6KmL.png

Timeaisis

I think I found a good solution to the body shape/size problem as far as Metroid characters are concerned.

It keeps to the classic Metroid feel, because there was a bikini somewhere in the original and it will let Sakurai add pretty much any Metroid character we want.

45Z6KmL.png

Is this a leak? I feel like this is a leak.

TrueBlue

....oooooookay.

Anyway, do you guys think we'll get another Pokemon Trainer type newcomer this time around? If so, who do you think it'd be? Just off the top of my head:

Pokemon Rval - Based on Blue, naturally. He's probably the most prevalent and popular Rival of the series, plus it'd serve as a good excuse to have his Champion theme in the game.

Pokemon Champion - Based on Cynthia, mostly for the same reasons as Blue. She's had a decent role in quite a few of the games since Diamond and Peal, plus she's female. Would also lead to a playable Garchomp, which would also be interesting.

Kalos Trainer: Preferably based on Serena's design, as it's the superior one. Could have the three Kalos starters, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a Fairy type in there, like Sylveon. Maybe the Kalos starters are the standard Pokemon, and Sylveon with Moonblast could be a Final Smash?

....oooooookay.

Anyway, do you guys think we'll get another Pokemon Trainer type newcomer this time around? If so, who do you think it'd be? Just off the top of my head:

Pokemon Rval - Based on Blue, naturally. He's probably the most prevalent and popular Rival of the series, plus it'd serve as a good excuse to have his Champion theme in the game.

Pokemon Champion - Based on Cynthia, mostly for the same reasons as Blue. She's had a decent role in quite a few of the games since Diamond and Peal, plus she's female. Would also lead to a playable Garchomp, which would also be interesting.

Kalos Trainer: Preferably based on Serena's design, as it's the superior one. Could have the three Kalos starters, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a Fairy type in there, like Sylveon. Maybe the Kalos starters are the standard Pokemon, and Sylveon with Moonblast could be a Final Smash?
Considering the amount of work that went into Pokemon Trainer was basically three times the work put into an average character I highly doubt we'll get another.

GamerSoul

I love the idea of having two pokemon trainers: X and Y, that was mentioned by Neiteio (sp? I so sad). One representing the original starters like we already have and the other having the new three starters in the form of: Chespin, Braxien, and Greninja. It makes a lot of sense becuase they are both represented in the latest games and pays homage to the first and last games.

TrueBlue

Nope. It's too much work, and it'd take away from what makes Pokémon Trainer special.

Considering the amount of work that went into Pokemon Trainer was basically three times the work put into an average character I highly doubt we'll get another.

I probably should have mentioned that I don't think it's likely either, for the reasons laid out. Still, it's fun to speculate.

I'll actually be very disappointed if we don't get either a second Pokemon Trainer or at the very least a replacement for the original. I know it's considered really assholish to want a character out, but having 5 out of 6 Pokemon reps be from the first game is just ridiculous, and it'd be even worse if Mewtwo was added back or Lucario was cut.

If nothing else, I'd like for Mewtwo to return and a second Pokemon Trainer to be added with three Pokemon from a different gen, just to even the scales a bit. It may be asking a lot, but I think Sakurai kind of worked himself into a corner there by adding so many damn Gen 1 Pokemon.

Fiktion

Banned
I love the idea of having two pokemon trainers: X and Y, that was mentioned by Neiteio (sp? I so sad). One representing the original starters like we already have and the other having the new three starters in the form of: Chespin, Braxien, and Greninja. It makes a lot of sense becuase they are both represented in the latest games and pays homage to the first and last games.

The obvious problem with that is that the new generation trainer will be out of place when the next Smash comes out. It's better to pick evergreen characters who will never be irrelevant.

That's why I advocate for Anna as the Fire Emblem rep over all the main characters.

Just say NO to X and Y reps.

The obvious problem with that is that the new generation trainer will be out of place when the next Smash comes out. It's better to pick evergreen characters who will never be irrelevant.
How would they be any less relevant than the 5 Gen I reps we had? You can't really get less relevant than Jigglypuff.

If we were only adding characters based on relevance they'd have in later games, half of Brawl's roster would be cut and we'd only add characters from the first games in a series.

Fiktion

Banned
How would they be any less relevant than the 5 Gen I reps we had? You can't really get less relevant than Jigglypuff.

Jigglypuff is more of a Smash tradition than a Pokemon rep tbh. Inclusion in 64 grants you permanent immunity.

The other Gen I reps are iconic and always will be because they started the whole thing. They're like Marth, who was only reintroduced to his own series after Melee.

Jigglypuff is more of a Smash tradition than a Pokemon rep tbh. Inclusion in 64 grants you permanent immunity.

The other Gen I reps are iconic and always will be because they started the whole thing. They're like Marth, who was only reintroduced to his own series after Melee.

Hence the second part of my post. If you worry too much about relevancy then you end up only adding characters from the first game in a series. Would there really be anything wrong with having Gen VI Pokemon in Smash 5 alongside Gen VII or X or whatever gen they're on then? That just widens the appeal of the games. Especially considering it's likely much, much easier updating a returning character than it is to add a brand new character, there isn't too much reason to scrap popular characters like Ike and Lucario just because their time in the spotlight has passed.

Fiktion

Banned
Would there really be anything wrong with having Gen VI Pokemon in Smash 5 alongside Gen VII or X or whatever gen they're on then? That just widens the appeal of the games.
Logically, within three games you'd have Pokemon overload. Someone would have to get cut lest the franchise dominate the roster. It's already happened with Pichu and Mewtwo. This time around I wouldn't be shocked if Lucario got the axe.

It's a waste of unique movesets.

Ryce

I'll actually be very disappointed if we don't get either a second Pokemon Trainer or at the very least a replacement for the original. I know it's considered really assholish to want a character out, but having 5 out of 6 Pokemon reps be from the first game is just ridiculous, and it'd be even worse if Mewtwo was added back or Lucario was cut.

If nothing else, I'd like for Mewtwo to return and a second Pokemon Trainer to be added with three Pokemon from a different gen, just to even the scales a bit. It may be asking a lot, but I think Sakurai kind of worked himself into a corner there by adding so many damn Gen 1 Pokemon.
Red is the most iconic trainer, and the Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle lines are the most iconic starters. I'd hate to see them replaced with their less memorable counterparts just for the sake of generational diversity. The first generation is always going to be the most important. A Pokémon Origins TV special just recently aired, and even the X/Y games pay homage to Red/Blue with the Kanto starters and renewed focus on Mewtwo.

Jigglypuff's continued presence in these games makes it tough to lay out a truly appropriate Pokémon roster. She doesn't really "deserve" to be playable, but at the same time her absence would offend longtime fans of the series.

Pikachu should be in Smash Bros. no matter what. Nobody's going to argue with that. I also think it's important to keep the Pokémon Trainer (as he appeared in Brawl) since he's the protagonist of the actual video games. Mewtwo should also return; it's easily the most iconic legendary, it's rare in that it has a backstory, and as mentioned, it's still relevant.

Sakurai seems to favor the non-starting, non-legendary "promotional mascots" when choosing playable Pokémon from the additional generations. Generations two through five have each had one of these -- they tend to be the Pokémon who are revealed early on, are heavily merchandized, and appear in movies.

G/S - Pichu
R/S - Plusle & Minun
D/P - Lucario
B/W - Zoroark

My absolute pipe dream of a Pokémon roster would be:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokémon Trainer
Plusle & Minun
Lucario
Zoroark

That's technically nine characters, which most people would say is too many, but considering Pokémon is Nintendo's second-biggest franchise I'd be completely fine with that. There are bound to be at least ten Mario family characters, after all. Also, had Plusle & Minun and Mewtwo made the cut as originally planned, Brawl would have had eight playable Pokémon.

Top Bottom